She looks cute in ALL of them!
- 11 (11.5%)
Meh.
- 4 (4.2%)
I'm lousy at dresses.
- 11 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2397-2401 (4-8 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 83313 times)

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math

The QC timeline never did follow the rules of time. Glad to see it's still the same. :)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I wonder how that would look in black though... nah, her colouring's wrong for it.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

This looks like something that would more befit Ms. Vance, to be honest. But maybe I am just saying this because I am thinking of Angelina Jolie as a dominatrix (NSFW if you couldn't tell. And it's also Spanish Italian).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: Jeph's Twitter
That strip would've been better without any dialogue but I was really tired when I drew it and can't change it from here
Part of me agrees, but I still really hope he doesn't change it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's your favorite Wedding Reception memory?

Party ALL NIGHT LONG, Baby!    4 (9.8%)
The dinner spread (I LOVED the sliced roast beef!)    3 (7.3%)
I caught the garter one year. Never did get it on with the bridesmaid, though.    4 (9.8%)
I caught the boquet one time. Instinctively wanted to toss it away.    0 (0%)
Never caught either, but I won a bottle of champagne once during the dance off!    0 (0%)
Caught it, got lucky, and got married within two years.    0 (0%)
Random later-regretted hookups (ala "The Wedding Crashers")    2 (4.9%)
I had absolutely NO idea who anyone was, so I cut out early.    3 (7.3%)
I got to make the embarassing speech!    3 (7.3%)
Eh, it was normal.    9 (22%)
Something that involved a trampoline, a chainsaw, and the UCLA Marching Band.    0 (0%)
Waking up the next day and realizing I was MARRIED!    13 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 41

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I really like the third one, the so-called "plain" one. If I were to wear a dress (highly unlikely as I haven't even worn a skirt in 10 years), I would choose that one.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I dig the "plain" one too...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Plain is often the most elegant.  All those frills look more or less (opinion, don't shoot) childish to me.  Well, except 6.  I don't know quite what that looks like.  :psyduck:

7 is good.  The black variation is not bad either.  But I vote for 3.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Ugh, I kind of hate it when Jeph decides to get weird about hiding fillers. Thanks to the folks who've posted it in here!

I don't think he's being weird about hiding the strip. It's more that for out-of-continuity comics (that is, ones without a number) the name and location of the file on his server don't fit the pattern that the comic handling software expects. Special-casing it is probably a pain and/or easy to forget to do, especially when he's going to special effort to travel to make himself available at a con.

The image is still there: http://www.questionablecontent.net/omghidden/robotfightpanel.png if you know how to address it directly. If you ask nicely he might even put it up on his tumblr, but I'd suggest you let him get back into what passes for his normal routine first.

TheRedMaiden

• Not quite a lurker

As a redhead, I don't care if it's cliche or not, greens are my especial favorite color to wear. I wore green to my first prom (bf was a hs senior to my little junior self at the time) and I went for a purple dress my own senior prom, because purple is my favorite color. Well, I tried at least. I brought about  8 different purple dresses into the dressing room and they all looked good with my hair and coloring. I ended up bringing a red one in too because red is the bf's favorite color, though I didn't think my red hair would work with it....Damn thing ended up looking the best on me. :roll:

For the sake of relating myself even more to Claire, I'll mention that I also own a blue dress that does indeed look surprisingly lovely on a redhead. But green will always be my favorite color on me with a nice brown coming in at a close second.

And just as an aside, when the interns were all introduced, I'll admit I had an inward moment of "Ugh, talking background characters," but since then I'm delighted Claire was the one to join the main cast and I'm loving her more every time we see her  :-D

Well, let's just say I'm not partial to grown women in frilly princess dresses and leave it at that.

EDITED just to add that Claire never exactly got to be a little girl in a frilly princess dress, so I'll pardon any appearances of her in it in later strips, because we all KNOW she bought that one too ;) 
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013, 10:22 by TheRedMaiden »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Yeah, I can see that she might be trying to make up for what she missed when she was a child. But still, there's a reason that my favorite Disney princess is Merida from Brave. No pink frills on that girl.  :-D

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I wonder how that would look in black though... nah, her colouring's wrong for it.

[snip]

It's better than the hot pink, but I still say a dress with that neckline shouldn't end above the knee.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Yeah, I can see that she might be trying to make up for what she missed when she was a child. But still, there's a reason that my favorite Disney princess is Merida from Brave. No pink frills on that girl.  :-D

That's just silly. Mulan is clearly the bestest "Disney Princess"! Yay, homoerotic subtext and eventual relief over the not-gays.

*In before Akima rage, since we all know how great cartoons are at cultures and history* :wink:

(Apparently emoticons are broken if you post them below embedded videos, btw.)
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

(Apparently emoticons are broken if you post them below embedded videos, btw.)

So they are!  Well, I'll look at it sometime, but certainly not this week - so don't expect a quick fix...   :oops:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!

That's just silly. Mulan is clearly the bestest "Disney Princess"! Yay, homoerotic subtext and eventual relief over the not-gays.
[snip]

Huh. So the English version is, once again, superior to the German. I had heard this was one if the rare cases where it wasn't.

Well, we Germans still have the better Digimon intro songs.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

You want homoerotic subtext, you need to watch Lady General Hua Mulan, a Huangmei opera from the 60s.

"You could be my wife if you were a woman..."

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Huh. So the English version is, once again, superior to the German. I had heard this was one if the rare cases where it wasn't.

It ain't got nothing on the Mandarin one! I actually more or less knew this by heart as a teenager, although the pronunciations would probably be lackluster to native speakers. Got me weird looks by others, but hey, I think it sounds great.

Well, we Germans still have the better Digimon intro songs.

We Swedes have Sailor Moon and Pokémon far better than them, IMO!

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Gotta love Phil Collins in Disney movies; he sang in english, german, italian, french and spanish (latin) versions of movies like Bear Brother and Tarzan  :-D .

Loki

• comeback tour!

It ain't got nothing on the Mandarin one! I actually more or less knew this by heart as a teenager, although the pronunciations would probably be lackluster to native speakers. Got me weird looks by others, but hey, I think it sounds great.

[...]
Hah, that's awesome. And oddly hilarious.

We Swedes have Sailor Moon and Pokémon far better than them, IMO!

See, I am inclined to agree regarding Sailor Moon, but imho the German version of the Pokémon themes is slightly superior. Speaking of which, I should at some point upload that "Zac Efron sings the Orange League theme" video I have lying around somewhere and which I totally did not make myself in Windows Video Editor...

Your version of the Gummi Bears intro song is also among the best.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I'm pretty sure, in the Princess Bride anyway, that you have to say "I do." or you're not really married?

Leaping back a few days here, but in the Church of England despite common belief, what you actually say at weddings is "I will". "I do" is what is said at adult baptisms - which was quite amusing at my baptism, since there were two people being baptised: me, and a boy in the choir. Saying "I do", standing opposite each other, next to a priest.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's better than the hot pink, but I still say a dress with that neckline shouldn't end above the knee.
I don't follow, that neckline isn't particularly low...is it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aethien

• Curry sauce

I think that's why it shouldn't end above the knee? High neckline and above the knee is a conflicting message?

I dunno, I barely get men's fashion.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Wouldn't that accentuate legs?

...I have no qualification on that matter, either.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think that's why it shouldn't end above the knee? High neckline and above the knee is a conflicting message?

I dunno, I barely get men's fashion.
I'm so confused, I thought low neckline and above the knee would be too much, but apparently high neckline and above the knee is bad too?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aethien

• Curry sauce

It seems to me to give a conflicting message which confuses people and makes it less pleasant to look at.

It's always good to remember that people are really fucking stupid and easy to confuse.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Thanks for the black recolor.  IMO, that makes it no longer "UGH", but still not really appropriate.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Come now, guys, what could be more simple than amount of leg shown? *Ahem*

(click to show/hide)

(They all move around every few years, of course!)

You want homoerotic subtext, you need to watch Lady General Hua Mulan, a Huangmei opera from the 60s.

"You could be my wife if you were a woman..."

Sounds more like an open confession of love.  :laugh:

See, I am inclined to agree regarding Sailor Moon, but imho the German version of the Pokémon themes is slightly superior.

Ah, I meant compared to the English ones, but alrighty. It seems to be doing the wheezing thing the English one does as well, which isn't really my thing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't see a conflicting message, it just shows off her legs more than her upper body. :psyduck: 

I guess I'm easy to confuse, because fashion confuses me.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see Valdis's picture. Also, I assumed we were talking about people who aren't horrible. Was that a bad assumption to make?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Edit: Oh, I didn't see Valdis's picture. Also, I assumed we were talking about people who aren't horrible. Was that a bad assumption to make?

Don't mind me, I'm sure it's quite unrelated. Still, what is considered proper in that regard is constantly in flux, even if a formal event is more well-defined for appropriateness.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Shouldn't "cheeky" be, ahem, much further up? :-D *rimshot*

Ah, I meant compared to the English ones, but alrighty. It seems to be doing the wheezing thing the English one does as well, which isn't really my thing.

Ah, gotcha. *listens to English* Is this the original English Sailor Moon one? It. Ahem. I will restrain myself from commenting.

English Pokémon one is okay.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Shouldn't "cheeky" be, ahem, much further up? :-D *rimshot*
Rimshot is even further up, it's not even in the picture.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I'm with the "I like the “plain” one (#3)" group. The colour really works for her and the cut is nice too. But the best part is that even if you think it is too plain for a guest of the wedding party, it has lots of room to accessorise. Like a nice belt slung diagonally across the hips or a chunky necklace.

Still wondering why she owns the swan-thing though. Ballet?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Loki

• comeback tour!

Rimshot is even further up, it's not even in the picture.

Touche.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Plain is often the most elegant.  All those frills look more or less (opinion, don't shoot) childish to me.  Well, except 6.  I don't know quite what that looks like.  :psyduck:
For those of you who are confused by dress #6:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_dress_of_Bj%C3%B6rk

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

It's a Björk dress. The Icelandic musician. [1] [2]

Edit: Darn Ninjas!

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

The black version of Claire's #4 dress is basically this: http://www.legersales.com/images/Black-Signature-Essential-Long-Sleeve-Cocktail-Dress-2.jpg

Which is tastefully sexy and is actually tamer than a lot of what you see if you google "black cocktail dresses with sleeves".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I was assuming she was trying them on in the shop.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I love it when Jeph just tosses poll questions right into my wheelhouse.

"Get up, get up, get out of here, GONE!" :D

(For those of you in the UK: "And THAT one is over the boundary for six!")
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

I personally like the odd numbers (7, 1, 3, and 5 in that order).  And, as a red-head myself, I felt that 2 and 4 were the worst for her.  Seeing the solid red dress with her solid red hair is not the sight that she should want.  And the pink dress in 4 is also not right for her, in my opinion (a black version would be better, but not by much).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I was assuming she was trying them on in the shop.

Especially given that the title of the comic was "Fitting Room".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Indeed. She did say she had to go buy a fancy dress.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Ruhtrax

• Not quite a lurker
  • Lagging like there is no tomorrow

The Swan Dress is um ...
I have no idea what to say ...
just like her face.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

She probably got #6 cheap at Auction.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Ugh, I kind of hate it when Jeph decides to get weird about hiding fillers. Thanks to the folks who've posted it in here!

I don't think he's being weird about hiding the strip. It's more that for out-of-continuity comics (that is, ones without a number) the name and location of the file on his server don't fit the pattern that the comic handling software expects. Special-casing it is probably a pain and/or easy to forget to do, especially when he's going to special effort to travel to make himself available at a con.

The image is still there: http://www.questionablecontent.net/omghidden/robotfightpanel.png if you know how to address it directly. If you ask nicely he might even put it up on his tumblr, but I'd suggest you let him get back into what passes for his normal routine first.

He's also weird for bothering to differentiate them and give them special designations instead of just adding them to the numbering scheme. It's not a big deal, it's his comic, but that doesn't change that it's weird to me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's a Björk dress. The Icelandic musician. [1] [2]

Edit: Darn Ninjas!
If by ninja you mean late last night when I mentioned it :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

All right, I just came to ask, about poll answer #2: brown?  :? I see a red dress...
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

All right, I just came to ask, about poll answer #2: brown?  :? I see a red dress...

You clearly have screwed up colour-vision.. Sorry..  :-\

(Everyone play along, it couldn't possibly be a mistake in the poll!)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Yes, there are no mistakes in the poll. The red dress is really brown. The cocktail dress is not mistakenly called a pantsuit. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up