THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 Jun 2024, 02:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 158843 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Pintsize is not well equipped to be a cuddly friend. Uploading him into a soft fuzzy body might produce what the old IBM manuals called "unpredictable results". Marten doesn't have a Soft Thing to snuggle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

candlejack

• Not quite a lurker

Heck, there's honestly been more to go on of Marten and Hanners something in the distant future.

I'm not one to do the whole so and so should be together shipping thing but I'd like to see Marten and Hanners get together. Hanners comes to realize that Marten would be the best guy to help her with her fears and she brings up the idea to Dora and Faye first. Afterwards when she builds up the courage to ask Marten out, he would probably be weirded out by it at first then go with it. The next 1000 strips would show the progression of the relationship between the two and the differences they would have trying to make it work. Their first kiss would probably be an entire picture with everyone standing in the background looking at them. But that would only happen after Hannelore decides she is done being scared of certain intimate contact and grabs Marten and then kisses him... Nah, Jeph would never do that... Or would he?
Nothing to see here, move along.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

Heck, there's honestly been more to go on of Marten and Hanners something in the distant future.

I'm not one to do the whole so and so should be together shipping thing but I'd like to see Marten and Hanners get together. Hanners comes to realize that Marten would be the best guy to help her with her fears and she brings up the idea to Dora and Faye first. Afterwards when she builds up the courage to ask Marten out, he would probably be weirded out by it at first then go with it. The next 1000 strips would show the progression of the relationship between the two and the differences they would have trying to make it work. Their first kiss would probably be an entire picture with everyone standing in the background looking at them. But that would only happen after Hannelore decides she is done being scared of certain intimate contact and grabs Marten and then kisses him... Nah, Jeph would never do that... Or would he?

That would be fun.
Signature

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

By the way, if you're replying to the post immediately above, it's considered poor etiquette on these forums to quote that post.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

Screw Marten, I want Claire. That last panel is hot.
Super-villain in training.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

By the way, if you're replying to the post immediately above, it's considered poor etiquette on these forums to quote that post.

Unless you are only replying to one specific sentence or so from a lengthy post, then I think it's fine to quote that one sentence (if this is wrong, someone please correct me on this!)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

That's entirely appropriate.

(Hint: if you didn't know about not quoting the post above unnecessarily, then you are admitting to not having read the rules and explanations.  Tut, tut!)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Yeah, I should've been more clear.

Also when replying to multiple posts in one post, I'd consider it fine (but I'm no moderator).

And, re: Claire, I think the correct wording is either DAAAAAAANG or rghfrgl. :D (But, it's also generally considered creepy and bad around here to ship oneself with a character, I thought. Where's the bearhat guy comic of what not to do?)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

when replying to multiple posts in one post, I'd consider it fine

Of course.  It's simply a matter of saving bandwidth and screen space by not including anything that's unnecessary - the first saves Jeph's money, and the second makes the thread easier to read.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

westrim

when replying to multiple posts in one post, I'd consider it fine

Of course.  It's simply a matter of saving bandwidth and screen space by not including anything that's unnecessary - the first saves Jeph's money, and the second makes the thread easier to read.
But no one complains about posts that quote, say, images, or whole posts to comment on one point. This very thread is full of both.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

So far this week in QC, a total of three and a half words have been uttered. :psyduck:

And we have made nine pages of posts about those three and a half words. No, we're not over-analyzing this a bit, are we?  :parrot:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

over-analyzing

There's no such thing round these parts.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dang
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Marten doesn't even have a stuffed animal to cuddle. He must be in a state of deprivation. Dora has Mieville, Faye had her stuffed giraffe, but all Marten has is a lump of hard plastic.

Are you calling Claire a "lump of hard plastic"?  :psyduck:

Vibrator? Sex toy? Pintsize?

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=107

Yup. Vibrator.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

But no one complains about posts that quote, say, images, or whole posts to comment on one point. This very thread is full of both.

It's been a while since I had a blitz on it, admittedly; going on about it can get tedious as well.  Note that quoting images, irritating though it can be, doesn't impact on Jeph's bandwidth, because they have to be hosted elsewhere.

The only image quoting in this thread is of the image you posted; the first quote is on a different page, and for comparison with another image, which is sensible - the other two are superfluous.  The text quoting in this thread is not generally excessive, I'd say, though it could be reduced a bit in places.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2013, 17:16 by pwhodges »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Over-analyzing is explicitly and specifically allowed by Word of Jeph.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Didn't one of the forum guidelines use to be "OCD is bad"?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

All right, by tomorrow morning I expect to see at least six pages on "The Meaning of Over-Analysis".  :evil:

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Can you imagine the debate that would cause? The mods would have to break out the riot gear.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU

And, re: Claire, I think the correct wording is either DAAAAAAANG or rghfrgl. :D (But, it's also generally considered creepy and bad around here to ship oneself with a character, I thought. Where's the bearhat guy comic of what not to do?)

Ok less with the creepy, got it.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Or, y'know, it's morning and it's light out!  :roll:

Look at the lampshade. It is lit only on one side. The lamp is obviously turned off.
In my defense, the lampshade is the same in #2405-06. They didn't turn on/off the lamp, but the "roof light" (?).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Quote from: 'Jeph Jacques (tumblr Q&A dump)'
One of the main reasons I still enjoy doing QC after almost 10 years is the feeling of satisfaction I get when I finish a comic I’m particularly happy with. It doesn’t happen every time, but when it does it makes everything else worthwhile.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What the fuck? I clicked next and the dialog has been changed...and rather poorly done. Last panel of comic 10.

I suspect that Jeph got a little nervous about using the "R" word.

EDIT: The trouble with working overnights is that you don't get ninja'd, you get D'OH!-ed
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I have said before that sleepy-Claire is adorable and I maintain that is true, but I'm just not seeing "sexy" or "daaaang" in today's strip?

That might be because Susan ruined me for all other comic characters ever though.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Well, tastes differ. I think Claire is more cute than hot, but I'm not going to argue with anyone who thinks she's the distilled essence of hotness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Didn't one of the forum guidelines use to be "OCD is bad"?

Yes, the no-nitpicking rule.

Quote from: Jeph
"I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

All things considered, how and why Claire awoke in the other bed? I think I have a working hypothesis because something similar happened to me:

I got to share a room with a girl after a wild, wild wedding party back in my hometown. She needed a room, mine had two beds, I offered to share, she agreed. When we got back to the room, she went to the bathroom to freshen up a little and take off her dress, while I took my suit. We started to recount and review the party and we crashed at my bed because it was the one in front of the bathroom. Suddenly, we were asleep.

I woke up briefly because I felt my leg was hurting a little (I had a surgery a few months before the wedding and even today my leg hurts if I can't move it for a long time) and found she was cuddling.  I moved my leg and she, like Claire, went rhfgljfk, so I stayed in bed with her and went back to sleep. Time passes and my leg hurts again, so I have to move it. Also, she's not there. She's in her bed.

She woke in the middle of the night, went to the bathroom, did what she had to do, and went back to bed. She didn't remember she fall asleep with me, so she went to her bed and rolled in the blankets. And that's it.

Besides, the girl was my half-sister. It was a bonding moment for us: now I consider her my full-sister.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Pintsize is not well equipped to be a cuddly friend. Uploading him into a soft fuzzy body might produce what the old IBM manuals called "unpredictable results". Marten doesn't have a Soft Thing to snuggle.
You never know; it worked with Reynardine.

candlejack

• Not quite a lurker

So, is anyone else spamming the refresh button waiting for the new comic?
Nothing to see here, move along.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Nah, I'll probably just check in the morning.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

might produce what the old IBM manuals called "unpredictable results"
You never know
Sounds unpredictable to me.

... or was that predictable?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Does not compute. Most cats emphatically DON'T LIKE to be hugged for extended periods of time and they will make it known, should you attempt to do so. Probably with making a bloodbath out of your hands.

I know you said most cats, but you should meet mine. I've actually woken up after sleeping during the day to find him IN my bed, half under the covers, tucked under my arm. He is adorable (and slightly derpy) .

EDIT: Hm. It seems I had this thread open in multiple tabs. My bad.
I have on a few occasions woken up using my larger cat as a pillow without him complaining. Then again, if anyone but me (including my wife) tries to hold my smaller cat, he will produce said bloodbath if held too tight.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So, is anyone else spamming the refresh button waiting for the new comic?

Years back people here used to post just:
F5, F5, F5!
It got pretty boring.  These days you check his twitter to see when he started drawing and check back after 2.5 hours (2 min, 3.5 max) - or even click the link he posts to watch him drawing it. Tonight's comic is late,'cos he slept all day.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I have said before that sleepy-Claire is adorable and I maintain that is true, but I'm just not seeing "sexy" or "daaaang" in today's strip?

It all depends on what people are attracted to.

I... may have a weakness for adorable redheads with Claire's body type.

aldonius

• Not quite a lurker

Did someone a while back predict that Veronica would look to start dating again post-wedding? I seem to recall it.

Anyway, well done that person.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

:psyduck:

Looks like Henry's gone from someone who's horrible at segues, to someone who's horrible at analogies.

(Please nobody extract the obvious and horrible, yet unintentional, pun from that sentence.)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Veronica is so awesome <3
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Maybe the connection is that Veronica is going to start dating a volcano?
What do you know about Pokémon?

greywolfe

Maybe the connection is that Veronica is going to start dating a volcano?

I was under the impression that Faye was taken?

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU

Headline: Hawaii
Volcano attacks two gay men on honeymoon, claims it was not a hate crime.

greywolfe

Headline: Hawaii
Volcano attacks two gay men on honeymoon, claims it was not a hate crime.

In further news, crowds march on Washington to protest against intolerance shown by Volcanos, demand equal rights for everyone to being buried under lava.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I gotta say, I'm liking Dad Harder more and more :P

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I thought elephants were nature's elephants.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Elephants are obviously nature's sloths.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU

You're thinking of the average reality TV viewer, not elephants.

westrim

You're thinking of the average reality TV viewer, not elephants.
No, those are slugs. They're more oily and watery.

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

Besides, the girl was my half-sister. It was a bonding moment for us: now I consider her my full-sister.

YOU COULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT EARLIER IN YOUR STORY, you know for context.

Son'a bitch.
Goddamn Sonabitch.

westrim

Son'a bitch.
Goddamn Sonabitch.
Don't be so quick to unzip next time.

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

I noticed that Veronica looked off, then I realized we've never seen her without lipstick, and in this comic she just doesn't look like Veronica. Weird how that can happen. It's that thing of you never think about how one little feature can totally change how someone looks to you, like my Uncle looks really weird to me without his beard.

Also I'm now curious as to what I look like without sideburns, I've had them for so long.

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

Son'a bitch.
Goddamn Sonabitch.
Don't be so quick to unzip next time.

As though that would of changed THAT outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up