Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Emily go?

To her house.
To her parents house.
To the internet!
To a game store.
To a Game Stop.
To a new character, because there aren't enough already.
To Capcom headquarters.
To Marten
To the batmobile.
To the barricades.
To the moon.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2430-2434 (22-26 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 83806 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Does anyone actually use those Bluetooth things anymore? I haven't seen one in years. Headphones, sure, but those are visible.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

What kind of sadist would design a friendly robot to look like a giant spider?
Masamune Shirow.

I use a Bluetooth headset with my mobile all the time. It's unsafe and illegal to use "both-ears" headphones when riding a bicycle or driving a car, and the headset lets me leave my phone securely stashed in the back pocket of my cycling jersey without fiddling with cables. You might not even notice me wearing it, depending on whether I have my hair up or down.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Fair enough. My car has built in Bluetooth, but even before I got it I would just put my phone on speaker because I tried a Bluetooth headset once and it was really uncomfortable.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Does anyone actually use those Bluetooth things anymore? I haven't seen one in years. Headphones, sure, but those are visible.
You probably haven't seen one because they shrunk. A lot. A typical model now is shorter than the top two joints of your index finger, about as wide and half as deep, and light enough to hang comfortably from your ear using only the part embedded in the ear canal for support.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Which means it's now even harder to tell whether the person talking to themself is on the phone or just, well...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My wife uses hearing aids, and has a small thingy that hangs round her neck which connects to her phone by Bluetooth and to her hearing aids by T-loop, and has a microphone for the return path.  It works well for her as a hands-free setup in the car.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I use Bluetooth sometimes for file transfers between my PC and phone. And I have a wireless loudspeaker that also acts as a wireless charging unit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I meant Bluetooth headsets, Masterpiece.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Sorry Method, I saw "Bluetooth thingies" and thought you meant Bluetooth in general.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's all good.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Did the Coffee of Doom door always swing inwards?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Did the Coffee of Doom door always swing inwards?

There are doors out there that swing both ways.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There's a Dora there that does, too. (Come on, someone had to.)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Oh, that was terrible. Good call.

*Laughs anyway*
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

westrim

What kind of sadist would design a friendly robot to look like a giant spider?
Masamune Shirow.
See:
For a giant sentient talking apparent spider, it doesn't seem to be aware that most people would find its existence dubious and/or terrifying. All he's doing for me though is reminding me (and making me sad) that Tachikoma don't exist.

This forum habit of puns is aDorable.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Look, if I want puns, I'll read Pearls Before Swine, okay?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

Claire is now officially a member of the cast; she's tweeting.

So... what happens when summer is over in 1000 strips or so, and she's not a summer intern?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

As someone with mild arachnophobia, I probably shouldn't ask, but is there a real spider that Gordon's appearance is based on?

Edit@Westrim: She could always hang out at, say, CoD.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

westrim

As someone with mild arachnophobia, I probably shouldn't ask, but is there a real spider that Gordon's appearance is based on?

Apparently, jumping spiders. It did get up on that counter easily. But don't worry, they just want to be friends.
(click to show/hide)

But that's too easy! The only reasonable way she could stay in the picture is to start a relationship wit- :mrgreen: oh god, not my spleen!  :police: not me, the Allosaur, shoot the Allosaur!  :police: :police:
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2013, 22:38 by Westrim »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

-h Pint Size of course!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

On a completely comic-unrelated liquid-container related note, I considered getting a CoD mug, but looks like they are sold out already. I suppose that means things are going well for Jeph :)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I use a Bluetooth Earpiece for my Mobile.  Don't wear it all the time - that just makes you like a prat - but I find it useful.

Anyone consider that this may be Genevieve?     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

That terrified face  :-D .

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Everybody who said that a friend would blurt something has been proven correct.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Oh shit! Clinton run now dude. You might be able to get enough distance that she'll be out of range with her chakram.

I freaking love Claire and Marten's faces in this though. The shock is beautiful! This will lead to some discussion clearly.... and maybe... just maybe....

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

westrim

It looks like Clinton really wanted to get that out, and didn't consider whether it should get out. At least not from him, in that way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe it will be a bonding experience for them, sharing embarrassment over something harmless, like doing karaoke.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

And now everybody loves Clinton because he broke the silence curse  :-P .

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I think you're only supposed to call your siblings "stupid" when the only people around are family.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I hadn't noticed that it worked like that!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Interesting turn of events...
What do you know about Pokémon?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

thank you, Clinton! This week is about to get a lot more interesting.

westrim

I think you're only supposed to call your siblings "stupid" when the only people around are family.
If the shippers have their way, eventually Marten will be, which means he already is according to the Ellicott Chronospatial Fold Principle. It was mathed out one day when its thinker was asked why he was wearing pajamas in the lab at 3 p.m.

The police finally took out the Allosaurus, by the way.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Maybe it will be a bonding experience for them, sharing embarrassment over something harmless, like doing karaoke.

Karaoke is anything but harmless. That's like calling Stalin's gulags unusually severe boarding schools.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Am I the only one who thought 'why the hell is his tongue green' in the last panel?

(yes, I realize NOW that it's a book. It just looks really weird)

And horrified Claire may well be my favorite facial expression Jeph has ever drawn.

@Westrim: you took down the Allosaurus? D= I sent him to HELP!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Well, given some of the things I've heard about old English boarding schools ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

How many of those things you've heard came from periodicals or films you could legally show to those under the age of 18?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

You want stories?  (OK, it's not like I was there in the nineteenth century or anything...)

westrim

Tell that to my spleen.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Claire isn't horrified that he mentioned the snuggles, she's just appalled at being interrupted mid-snark.

ThinksTooMuch

• Plantmonster

Clinton is definitely not the first person I would have expected to spill the beans.  But like many such things, in retrospect it makes perfect sense.
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."  Lemony Snicket

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Tell that to my spleen.

>_<

have you no experience with dinosaurs? its common practice to reward an Allosaur for good behavior with a fresh spleen.

you need this book:

Here it is, page 14.

Allosaurs love spleens. the fresher the better. To ensure good behavior, always give them a spleen before a difficult or unpleasant task. It is also common to give them one afterwards, to reinforce good behavior.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Claire is now officially a member of the cast; she's tweeting.

So... what happens when summer is over in 1000 strips or so, and she's not a summer intern?

But that's too easy! The only reasonable way she could stay in the picture is to start a relationship wit- :mrgreen: oh god, not my spleen!  :police: not me, the Allosaur, shoot the Allosaur!  :police: :police:

In many cases, a summer intern who does well enough at the job may be offered a permanent position by the same employer. Don't know how well that would fit into Claire's schedule, as once this "summer" ends the "fall" semester will start and she'll have classes, but we'll see.

At any rate, since she's got a Twitter account now, she's permanent cast -- she won't just go away when the "summer" ends. If nothing else, she could simply hang around at CoD or the Secret Bakery in between classes.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Yay, more Claire and Marten uncomfortableness, this should definitely be a winner for pushing an interesting storyline further.  It may not be a win for them personally, but it works for us. :-D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If humans were logical, this would make them more comfortable with each other, since each now knows that the other tries to avoid causing them embarrassment.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

It seems Jeph spent a lot of time researching and putting effort into Claire to get her "right."  Twitter or no, I don't think he would invest that much in a character to drop them.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Goddamn Clinton, you try hard to make sure people don't out Claire, and you go and do this shit.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Claire isn't horrified that he mentioned the snuggles, she's just appalled at being interrupted mid-snark.

+1 awesomeness for you!  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It looks like Clinton really wanted to get that out, and didn't consider whether it should get out. At least not from him, in that way.
Yes. I think that would have been better shared privately "bro to bro". Not that either Clinton or Marten is very bro-ish, but you know what I mean.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Can we switch to spider puns now? I couldn't find that many on the web...
Not sure if that's got legs...
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up