THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 May 2024, 01:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what crazyness can we expect from the gang this week?

Dale and Marigold lip lock by Friday
- 33 (15.5%)
Dale walks in on Marigold in the shower by Friday
- 16 (7.5%)
Dale lures Marigold to the Alliance side (They have Cookies)
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora finally admits the secret ingrediant to CoD Coffee - Spiders
- 20 (9.4%)
Tai proposes to Dora
- 10 (4.7%)
Dora proposes to Tai
- 3 (1.4%)
Angus proposes to Faye - and she accepts at his Hospital bedside
- 17 (8%)
Marten meets a new Girlfriend - and she's a Marine
- 23 (10.8%)
Pintsize
- 40 (18.8%)
Waffles with Spathe Ham
- 19 (8.9%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 22 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2568-2572 (4 November - 8 November 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56706 times)

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

I rather worry about Emily knowing Claire is trans as well. Even being given the 'please don't go telling anyone' speech, I wouldn't trust her not to slip at some point. Not out of any kind of malice of course. Just the opposite really. Because she is happy for and proud of Claire. More than a few people have been outed in these exact circumstances by a well meaning, happy and supportive friend who is just so darn proud that they tell other people about their trans friend... Which is a huge faux paux of course, and downright dangerous. While I doubt anybody in the cast is going to turn on Claire, you never know who will overhear it. And in the end you can really never predict how people will take this kind of news, even if you know them well. When I came out to my group of friend just before I started presenting as female I was totally wrong in several cases of who would be supportive and who wouldn't...

Pretty much this.  I really wonder what Claire said to Emily to impress upon her that it's a secret.

Also, hi Neko_Ali!  I didn't realize you were on here!  :)

Azumas_Revenge

• Plantmonster
  • It's probably the booze talking.

Emily's understanding of tact is only matched by her extreme lack of being a weirdo (That sounded much better in my head).

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You can be straight and still have kissed people of the same gender as you - a lot of my schoolfriends did so, at parties and as dares.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I am wondering about the fact that Emily said "people" to Claire, "boys" of herself, and "girls" to Marten.  I'm wondering whether Claire said something off-camera suggesting she was bi (like Dora in yesteryear; cf. "luckyyyy..."), or whether Emily just didn't want to assume.

Well, I mean it seems fair enough. Obviously Emily knows her own sexual orientation, and Marten has only dated or talked about dating girls in the past, so fair bet Emily would think he was straight. But Claire has never really talked much about who she's dated because she hasn't dated anyone. Or about who she finds attractive. So it would be unfair to guess what her sexuality is. I mean look at the group of friends here. They've got all kinds of sexual orientation covered.

Hi Tor. Yeah, I joined here after Claire came out, 'cause I wanted to talk about it. And they's good people here. The Khaos forums seem to have pretty much died down, at least as of months ago.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I am wondering about the fact that Emily said "people" to Claire, "boys" of herself, and "girls" to Marten.

That caught my attention at first too, but when I thought about it I think it was just worded that way for the sake of the reader. If Emily says boys the reader will automatically ask 'what about girls?' Which makes the point, that she's inexperienced, unclear.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I don't believe she will out her, not from the look and the reaction. I think the secret is safe, and Emily made her first real friend  8-)

So Marten has become a complete non-entity at this point?

I think Marten has shown he isn't going to out her even by accident. Emily on the other hand is of the airheaded mind to make the faux pas but her reaction gives me a strong feeling that she will try her hardest to keep the secret.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think they meant isn't Marten Emily's friend?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Is he really? He is friendly with her, but is he really a friend?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What's the difference?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I'd say Marten and Emily are friends at this point... he might be closer with Claire but I'm not sure what you're driving at
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

You can be friendly to someone you know and/or someone who is friends with people you know/friends you know without actually being friends with them.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

...can you? As far as I'm concerned, there has to be a reason for someone to not be my friend. If I get along with someone and spend time with them, in what scenario are we not friends?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I always thought "friend" refers to someone that you have a deeper relationship with than just hanging out sometimes and finding nice when talking to them. More like knowing them well, having them alongside you for important things in your life, trusting them to support you in difficult situations and also trusting them with more information than a simple acquaintance - discussing your emotions and what goes on inside you with them.
I need to have a reason for thinking that someone will never become my friend, but I usually wouldn't call people I work with, even people I've hung out with a few times, "friends" directly; even if I find them really nice and hope that our relationship will eventually develop to friendship when I get to know them better.
So somehow, the word "friend" has for me always been reserved for a longer, deeper kind of relationship. I hope that makes sense. But then, English isn't my first language, so that my be part of the reason.

I'm not sure if I would call Emily and Marten friends yet. Apart from the lake party, where there were many other people around, limiting their personal contact, they don't seem to have had any meetings outside work. Acquaintances who get along quite well and might become friends sometime, sure.  Unlike Claire - she and Marten have had several quite private, close experiences together, so I'd definitely call them friends.

Anyway, probably not that important, but I think that is what the original post was aiming at.

Edit: Fixed typo

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Both Marten and Emily have confirmed friendship status... although one of the parties may have done it unwittingly.  :lol:

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I'd say Marten and Emily are friends at this point...

No, Marten is Emily's superior.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

You can show yourself out.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

You can be friendly to someone you know and/or someone who is friends with people you know/friends you know without actually being friends with them.

You read my mind perfectly, that was exactly what I was thinking. Marten is friendly with her, but may not be friends with her yet...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm not sure if I would call Emily and Marten friends yet. Apart from the lake party, where there were many other people around, limiting their personal contact, they don't seem to have had any meetings outside work.

I can think of one. She visited Marten's apartment once. Of course that still doesn't make them friends. Assaulting Pintsize was not friendly.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Hi Tor. Yeah, I joined here after Claire came out, 'cause I wanted to talk about it. And they's good people here. The Khaos forums seem to have pretty much died down, at least as of months ago.

Yeah, the loss of the Khaos forums was kind of sad, but I hear there are plans to start them anew in the near(ish?) future.

Smart pretty people get ALL THE HUGS. So Emily hugs Claire before she can even finish saying the word 'transcendental'. That's somebody's head canon and I will respect that.

Naw, she was clearly going to say transformer!  Inspired by Clinton's robot hand, she just had to go one step further.  :P

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Emily considers herself Marten's friend (quote: "WE'RE Friends.") And it appears that the feeling is mutual, from Marten's comment about, "Oh lord, we've adopted another one."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Naw, she was clearly going to say transformer!

So it's really Claire who's secretly a Volkswagen Beetle.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Yup. In this case Marten and the interns know each other only through work. I'm friendly with the people I work with, but I'd only also call any of them "my friends" if I chose to spend time with them outside of work. (and that trip to the CoD doesn't count, because they were going from the library).

I was going to say that only makes Marten and Claire friends, after the wedding trip, but I'd forgotten about Emily's house party which I suppose makes them all at least semi-friends.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

So, what crazyness can we expect from the gang this week?

Dale and Marigold lip lock by Friday ...... 33 (15.5%)
Dale walks in on Marigold in the shower by Friday ...... 16 (7.5%)
Dale lures Marigold to the Alliance side (They have Cookies) ...... 10 (4.7%)
Dora finally admits the secret ingrediant to CoD Coffee - Spiders ...... 20 (9.4%)
Tai proposes to Dora ...... 10 (4.7%)
Dora proposes to Tai ...... 3 (1.4%)
Angus proposes to Faye - and she accepts at his Hospital bedside ...... 17 (8%)
Marten meets a new Girlfriend - and she's a Marine ...... 23 (10.8%)
Pintsize ...... 40 (18.8%)
Waffles with Spathe Ham ...... 19 (8.9%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher ...... 22 (10.3%)

I wonder if anyone is surprised by that.  Voting is locked and the Poll is closed.

If anyone wants to make a Thread/Poll for next week, they're welcome to it - otherwise I'll do one myself tomorrow evening.

(added text of the poll question for posterity ~Loki)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 01:26 by Loki »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I can think of one. She visited Marten's apartment once. Of course that still doesn't make them friends. Assaulting Pintsize was not friendly.

Huh, I totally forgot about that!

Emily considers herself Marten's friend

Yeah, although that was said in a rather flippant manner. And I'm not saying they don't like each other or anything - I think they do (in a purely platonic way), it's just that they don't know each other superwell (yet). Claire and Marten know each other way better and have spent way more time together.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Naw, she was clearly going to say transformer!

So it's really Claire who's secretly a Volkswagen Beetle.

I love this more than you can possibly imagine. 

Unlike most transformers that fold into a vehicle, she unfolds from human form into a 1965 red convertible bug with a tan tonneau. 

Somehow, that car just screams Claire to me! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I think it's the red hair?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

And both are adorably cute.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I definitely consider people friends who I don't see outside the context of where we met - university classes, the shop I work in, the running club. Surely friendship is more about an attitude and a relationship than the details of when, where and how often you meet?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I think it's the red hair?

And the eyes / glasses. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

I assumed friendship was at least partially measured by how much you could rely on them in the shit, and how much they could rely on you.

maxh

• Larger than most fish

A good friend helps you move; a great friend helps you move bodies.
GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7  D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

A German expression for "they are a great friend" is "you could go steal horses with them".
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

No, Marten is Emily's superior.

Marten is a lowly unskilled helper at the library. Claire is on the career track to become a librarian. Her status is way higher than his.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Marten is a lowly unskilled helper at the library. Claire is on the career track to become a librarian. Her status is way higher than his.

This may or may not be a poll topic.  :angel:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Well, at least Emily isn't taller than most women, underdeveloped in the chest department, aspergic, socially withdrawn, and with a mysterious past, as are many Trans and Intersex gals her age.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

... did you mean "Claire", or am I missing your point completely?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think you're missing her point.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I think I might be too.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Rereading it ... best I can come up with is the (interpretation dependent) implication that Emily is one of the "many Trans and Intersex gals".

... in which case I'll applaud both Jeph and ZoeB!

* Sidhekin ponders ...

GarandMarine

• Awakened

....*face palm* well that was right in front of me!

Be interesting if it's true!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Or perhaps the implication is "let's not make assumptions based on people's physical appearance".

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Rereading again ...

Nope, don't see that.  Did you mean "inference" rather than "implication", perhaps?

... then again, English is not my native language; I might still be missing something.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The way I understand it, "to imply" is what the speaker does. "To infer" is what the hearer/reader does. What you infer may not be what I intended to imply.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

So, what inference are you implying I made?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I dunno! This conversation has confused me! I thought that Zoe was pointing out that many of the features commonly associated with intersex and trans women apply to Emily, although it is Claire who is known to be trans. Your response suggested you thought she'd typed the wrong name by mistake, which wasn't what I had understood her to mean (I thought she was making a sort-of joke, although obviously it has quite a serious side to it).

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Your response suggested you thought she'd typed the wrong name by mistake [...]
Ah, okay.  But see, if I had thought that (as opposed to "not ruled that out"), I would not have asked.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Besides, Emily isn't that underdeveloped in the chest department; they're not double-Ds but they're definitely there. And her past isn't so much mysterious as just unknown to us - what we do know about it is ordinary enough.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Ah, I see - what is going on here is that I inferred something which you were not implying! ;)

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

...can you? As far as I'm concerned, there has to be a reason for someone to not be my friend. If I get along with someone and spend time with them, in what scenario are we not friends?

In the scenario in which you call me up at 2 am because your car broke down and you need a ride. Man, we might get along, but you're still just a guy I know from the coffee shop. I'm going back to sleep.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Speaking as a fellow North-East Asian, Emily does not seem undeveloped to me at all.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up