Winslow gets an upgrade to an iPad
The band becomes big in Boston
Yelling Bird takes a sensitivity course
Waffleburgers with Spathe Ham
Butts!!!!
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Whatever it is, it'll be unexpected

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2613-2617 (Jan 6 - 10 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 52661 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

So...what are the odds Jeph has Marten go to the party and just enjoy himself without actually meeting any girls?

That seems realistic, but for one reason or another I suspect it won't happen that way.
Hmmm…  probably close to the odds of Marten coming home with a guy. But I still reckon the "wacky hijinks" option has better odds than any sort of hookup or having a regular good time put together.

Nb wacky hijinks typically involve fire, or fire extinguishers, though not necessarily in that order.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

WHO WANTS TOAST?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

True, it probably won't be just a 'normal party'.  Jeph doesn't write things into the story unless they actually mean something.

Anyways...it's nice to see Pintsize and Tai actually being quite helpful and sincere.  I'm starting to think Marten might need a change of scenery that doesn't involve TCoD.  I don't think Faye and Dora are really the people he needs to be around, since all they seem to do is make rude comments about his life, as if they don't even remember the kind of crap they've made him go through.  I can relate to having to let a few old friends go after the friendship ran its course (I think most people can, to be honest) which is why I say this.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Maybe Marten will catch the eye of two ladies, or more. Hijinks ensue.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Jeph doesn't write things into the story unless they actually mean something.
Chekhov's party! Also are you saying that Steve eating cereal will have SUPER SPECIAL MEANING?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Yeah.

(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

HUNGRY FOR JUSTICE?

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

I'm starting to think Marten might need a change of scenery that doesn't involve TCoD.  I don't think Faye and Dora are really the people he needs to be around, since all they seem to do is make rude comments about his life, as if they don't even remember the kind of crap they've made him go through.  I can relate to having to let a few old friends go after the friendship ran its course (I think most people can, to be honest) which is why I say this.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It's very hard to move on and make improvements for yourself when your ex-girlfriend and girl-you-had-huge-feelings-for are still very much in the picture. To move on, I think you need a clean break. Otherwise, you continue to lean on them as a crutch and then your personal growth stagnates.

I think Marten would have been wise to abandon the establishment CoD after the break up. That's the unfortunate consequence of dating within your friend circle -- you sometimes have to abandon doing things you really like if something goes wrong. 

It's probably quite clear at this point that I've found that continuing to hang around exes prevented me from moving on with my life. :roll:

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Pintsize? Giving good advice? Either he did something, or he's about to do something and is trying to preemptively make up for it before Marten knows.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Jazzmaster

Jeph doesn't write things into the story unless they actually mean something.
Chekhov's party! Also are you saying that Steve eating cereal will have SUPER SPECIAL MEANING?

Ahaha..you got me there :D

It's probably quite clear at this point that I've found that continuing to hang around exes prevented me from moving on with my life. :roll:

Yeah, things just aren't ever the same after these kind of things happen.  You want to stay attached and keep things the same, because let's be honest - leaving the CoD behind would be a bold and perhaps even scary move.  Change sucks.

I've made peace with most of my ex's (3 out of 4 is not bad), but I wouldn't be hanging around them - or old sparks (Faye) - nearly as much as Marten hangs around those two.  It'd be almost toxic.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

@lot_jockey, @Jazzmaster: Yes, I had similar thoughts earlier in the thread:
I wish Marten from now on would spend less time at CoD, and concentrate on other activities.
After the Marten/Dora breakup, he was distancing himself from CoD for a while, and met Padma. Unfortunately, he soon was back to his old habits.

Should Marten bring Pintsize along to the party as a wing-guy? Admittedly, it is a huge risk to take, and probably ends up in anal jokes. Still, I feel a bit sorry for Pintsize, as Marten never involves him in anything outside the apartment. Probably because of past experiences. It has probably been discussed before, but AnthroPC companions seem not to be very common in the QC universe. Only Marigold, Hanners, and Marten of the main characters have one. Therefore, he could help Marten getting noticed, and act as ice-breaker (if only he can behave himself).

EDIT: And Marigold and Hanners are rather special cases.
EDIT 2: Clinton has a "semi-autonomous" artificial hand, but I am not sure if it counts (or if Clinton counts). Anyway, he (the hand) is not very talkative.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens

I don't know, I think he'd act as an ice-breaker either way.   :laugh:
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

That was really good advice.  (Of course, it just wouldn't be Pintsize if he didn't add the last part.)

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Pintsize's last bit of advice seems a bit redundant.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=18
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

#### it, ninja'd. That's what I get for working 16 hour shifts. :P

THAT's what you get for working 16-hour shifts?! Not money? You should find a new job!  :-P
What do you know about Pokémon?

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Pintsize? Giving good advice? Either he did something, or he's about to do something and is trying to preemptively make up for it before Marten knows.

Or, and this might be more disturbing, Pintsize thinks Marten's social life has hit such a low point that he actually needs the help. He did express sincere companionship-based feelings with Marten to Momo back in the day after all.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Marten will leave the party with Tai, who's so dead drunk Marten will have to tuck her to bed.
Not before Tai has puked in his lap. Jeph seems to have a fetish for this.  :-D I wish someone would make a compilation of all the puke scenes we have witnessed.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Change sucks.

"That's why I hate change. It changes things."

(Anyone willing to dig up the source?)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

#### it, ninja'd. That's what I get for working 16 hour shifts. :P

THAT's what you get for working 16-hour shifts?! Not money? You should find a new job!  :-P

That's what I get for making that comment. :P
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

"That's why I hate change. It changes things."

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

The 'zero contact' rule means just that. Unfortunately, with shared friends, one of you gets screwed. Dora knew Faye before Marten did, so he gets screwed. He's only making it harder for himself.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Faye knew Dora first, but I'd argue that she's closer to Marten.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2014, 11:41 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Panel 5: Dang, Pintsize has developed MASSIVELY since we last saw him. What's going on?
Panel 6: There he is. Stay classy, Pintsize :)
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

It's not the first time he's done that.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1137
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2014, 07:52 by bhtooefr »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Humans can grow up with time: why not AnthroPCs?

If Jeph does things as usual, the party will produce an unexpected twist.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

Or, and this might be more disturbing, Pintsize thinks Marten's social life has hit such a low point that he actually needs the help. He did express sincere companionship-based feelings with Marten to Momo back in the day after all.

Wow, that's a great point that did not even cross my mind.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Am I the only person who has stayed close friends with exes more often than not? I can see why it might be useful to cut off all contact after a huge fight or if the breakup is entirely one sided and the other person desperately wants to get back together, but Marten and Dora broke up fairly amicably. Marten was hurt for a while and avoided Dora til he wasn't as upset, but they didn't have a fight and they both knew it wasn't working. Why should he cut off all contact?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Why would you ever want to /stay/ friends with exes?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

You may have to work or study together, or have friends in common that you don't want to be restricted in seeing, or (in my case, since I have children) family things still to do together.  It doesn't have to mean that you also seek out contact with them, just that you can be friendly with them when it happens.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Or in my case, because you break up based on the fact that you were better suited to being friends than life partners but you still like each other very much - which was the reason you started dating in the first place.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Being friends and being friendly are very different things Hodges
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jazzmaster

There's nothing wrong with being friends with an ex.  Most people don't do it because of old feelings and things.  I'll never be as close to any of my ex's as I was when we were really good friends, let alone dating.  I think it's for the best, but if people can work it out and not have too many old feelings or drama then more power to them.

Marten doesn't necessarily need to cut off all contact, but perhaps limit his time at TCoD.  I just get the feeling that Dora and Faye have not been particularly good for him.  They first tell him to sort his life out before seeking out a relationship, but now they think his life is "boring" because he hasn't hurried up and gotten a girlfriend or a hookup when he never really wanted one? Even Faye's usual sass  is actually extremely annoying and uncalled for (IMO).  I know that's "how she is", but I never really cared for it.  I remember at some point she was actually trying to be less sassy/sarcastic with everyone because it was a major turnoff and had the potential to ruin what she had with Marten and everybody else, but in the latest strips it's as if that all completely went out the window.

You know, on second thought, after writing this post, maybe my problem is mostly with Faye and not Dora...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Being friends and being friendly are very different things Hodges

I accept that correction!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

Or in my case, because you break up based on the fact that you were better suited to being friends than life partners but you still like each other very much - which was the reason you started dating in the first place.

I'm still really good friends with one ex because the romantic part of the relationship ran its course and we decided it would be better to be friends than just drop all contact.

I don't get breaking off all contact as being the "only" choice like some people act.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

.....which went out the window with the "stick it in her pooper" ending.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Pintsize giving good, useful advice??!!

Wonders will never cease - or the world's turned upsidedown.

Cue Party Cliffhanger.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

The world's turned upside-down? So...New Zealand is the right way up now? :P
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

We always were.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Am I the only person who has stayed close friends with exes more often than not?

Likely not, because obviously your exes also stayed close friends with their ex :roll:
On a more serious note: 50:50 here.
On an even more serious note: THANK YOU for questioning that stereotype. I hate it.

Re party: I am calling it now. Vicky.

the world's turned upsidedown.
<insert your own Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reference here>
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zwammy

There's nothing wrong with being friends with an ex.  Most people don't do it because of old feelings and things.  I'll never be as close to any of my ex's as I was when we were really good friends, let alone dating.  I think it's for the best, but if people can work it out and not have too many old feelings or drama then more power to them.

Agreed, although it is very dependent upon the breakup situation.

Marten doesn't necessarily need to cut off all contact, but perhaps limit his time at TCoD.

Yeah, I don't think he needs to cut off all ties with CoD because of his other friends that go there - heck, he still lives with Faye so cutting off all contact would be impossible - but limiting contact at the actual shop would make sense for a while, to get back some perspective.

"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Zwammy

Plot twist - triplets, with a hive mind.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish

Or Hannelore's long-lost twin from Australia (could someone please find that strip for me?).

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

After what Faye did to her in CoD? Faye would break him in half for trying to date her again after what she did to him- perhaps if it was her, it is the start of a rift between Faye/Marten that could be a longer, deeper arc that rocks the group?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

After what Faye did to her in CoD? Faye would break him in half for trying to date her again after what she did to him- perhaps if it was her, it is the start of a rift between Faye/Marten that could be a longer, deeper arc that rocks the group?

It might be a healthy thing for Marten to defy Faye. Plus it could make for good stories.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Plot twist - triplets, with a hive mind.

Isn't that just one extended person though? I thought the idea above was to evoke "the drama" by use of conflict…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zwammy

Isn't that just one extended person though? I thought the idea above was to evoke "the drama" by use of conflict…

You're right, maybe conjoined twins and one doesn't like Marten.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Possibilities:
  • Sara (completely out of left field.)
  • Vicky (backstory: she's been living a very unfulfilled life - and she has her own AnthroPC!)
  • Harriet (CANON, baby. CANON!)
  • Any of Sven's past conquests (esp. the one Sven tried to have Marten distract - Genevieve)
  • Lt. Potter (She was reassigned to earth)
  • Jim's ex-wife!
  • Way out of left field: RAVEN!
  • One of the interns (but not the one we all expect!)

Just another Joe like 46

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish

http://www.questionablecontent.net/1662

Thanks!  That's been one of my favorite QC strips ever since I read it, the other one being "DJ Phalliz".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up