• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 164579 times)

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

Well, shit. Are we going to get more strips with the therapist?

Has Faye, or especially Dora even been going?, i just ask since Dora is back to making totally irrational decisions again (the brother thing)

There's no evidence that Dora has not been going. She seems to have derived some comfort from it. One possible bad move doesn't mean that Dora has backslid completely.

I'm confused. Does Angus not know about Faye's history? He's being somewhat cavalier here, and my other issues with him aside, I think he does love Faye. I can't understand why he would be so nonchalant if he knew about what Faye's gone through and her abandonment issues.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Angus is drunk with excitement, as would most of us after getting the news of beating out however many other applicants for a sought after dream job.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I'm confused. Does Angus not know about Faye's history? He's being somewhat cavalier here, and my other issues with him aside, I think he does love Faye. I can't understand why he would be so nonchalant if he knew about what Faye's gone through and her abandonment issues.

Because he's kinda a self-absorbed tool.  Seriously. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

There was the set up aaaand here's the breakup...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Whoa, they haven't broken up yet. It's probably coming, but I wouldn't say it's happened.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

Whoa. Thanks for the refresher. I'd forgotten about that. Jeez.

I think he is just giddy and maybe, idk, perhaps he thinks that the fact that she is in therapy and dating him means she's all better? I'm not sure. Because I do think he cares for her deeply and his attitude right now is just bizarre. I do think they are going to break up, but for some reason I can see Angus initiating it now, citing that she's "stagnant" and raining on his parade.

Makes me wonder how things really ended between him and the barista-who-wasn't-Padma from Secret Bakery.

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Whoa, they haven't broken up yet. It's probably coming, but I wouldn't say it's happened.

I think it's happening. Sudden realizations lead right into sudden decisions in the QCverse. Like this one (Warning: Strip #1799).

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Eh, sorry but during the whole lead up to that, Faye was totally being the boy who cried wolf, constantly fucking with him, what did she expect him to do when she was being serious.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think it's happening. Sudden realizations lead right into sudden decisions in the QCverse. Like this one (Warning: Strip #1799).
Well no, because in 1799, we actually see the break up. This may lead up to the breakup and soon, but like I said, I wouldn't say they're officially broken up yet.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

eschaton's repost of that strip got me thinking about Marigold's reaction to this.  Even with Dale in her life I suspect she isn't going to be much happier than Faye is.  And we have no idea if she even knows Angus tried out for this job.  Angus may soon find himself facing a freakout on top of whatever happens next with Faye.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Eh, sorry but during the whole lead up to that, Faye was totally being the boy who cried wolf, constantly fucking with him, what did she expect him to do when she was being serious.

I'm talking more about how he talks about Marigold at the end of the strip than the lead in about Faye.  Yes, it's the strip's punchline, but still he's so absorbed in his screw-up with Faye he misses entirely that he insults one of his best friends (at that point) who is trying to comfort him. 

Angus isn't Sven.  He isn't a superficially charming sociopath - he actually wants to consider the feelings of others.  But he has a great capacity to miss those feelings entirely - something which is only somewhat masked by his inflated sense of self worth.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Woof. That's a brutal look right there. Gonna be a rough night at Marten and Faye's.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

It seems we were at the maximum relationships/character ratio, so we had to make room for the Clairten pair. 

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

It seems we were at the maximum relationships/character ratio, so we had to make room for the Clairten pair.

There are only so many spots available at the pier

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Oh dear.  It's like watching a tree just before it falls over after getting a fatal cut to the root system.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Look at that face in the last panel.  If Angus doesn't give her a hug, like, immediately, he simply has no soul.

I mean, he doesn't have a soul, he works in television, but I always figured it took longer for all those vestigial impulses to die off.

(Also, this is way off-topic, but am I the only one who can't see the number 2814 without thinking of Green Lantern?)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Look at that face in the last panel.  If Angus doesn't give her a hug, like, immediately, he simply has no soul.

I mean, he doesn't have a soul, he works in television, but I always figured it took longer for all those vestigial impulses to die off.

(Also, this is way off-topic, but am I the only one who can't see the number 2814 without thinking of Green Lantern?)

I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I guess Jeph couldn't have Marten and Faye single at the same time.  Gotta save something for the end of the comic.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

This is fucked, isn't it?

I'm actually expecting them to have a 'talk' about it, but they are only going to be postponing the inevitable.  When one person wants to live one place and do one thing and the other wants to stay in their current place and do their thing, some serious sacrifices have to be made.  Whether or not it's worth it is up to the individuals, but once you let it be known that you are in fact not happy for your partner's big opportunity, the writing is on the wall.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 20:52 by Jazzmaster »

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Never has a last panel said so much with so few words.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!

If by "fucked" you mean "the long delayed realization of a dream", then yes.

Faye's whole character has been off since Angus McBoring swooped in from nowhere as a viable boink partner, and if he gets put on the allosaurus bus, then everything gets a shake-up and a fresh new coat of paint. And dare I hope for it, the return of Sven as regular supporting character?

Whew. Take a deep breath. No raising expectations until Toto-boy is out the door.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

No.  Just... no, she's not going back to Sven.  I don't even think as a fuckbuddy, that's just too unhealthy a move for both of them. 

On  different note, I like Angus.  I know I'm pretty much alone in this, but I think I know why. 

I like wit.  I like witty people, I like to hang with them, I've developed a pretty sharp one myself over the years.  But a witty person is fundamentally a deeply flawed person - to develop that capacity, you need to be absurdly self-centered.  No one is naturally witty, it's something that must be developed, and that development is done through a nearly constant internal monologue.  Keeping that going, and fresh, is time and energy consuming, and you have to care about it an awful lot.  Which means you value your own cleverness above others.  It doesn't preclude close relations with others, but it can certainly be a stumbling block. 

Oh, and most people who don't appreciate a wit view one as an insufferable ass.   :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 20:49 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Faye Whitaker of sector 2814, you have the ability to instill great fear..

Jazzmaster

If Faye and Sven start dating it's going to be pretty awful.  Sven obviously has no idea what love actually is, and is simply confusing his inability to cope with being rejected as having some sort of meaningful emotional attachment.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm probably not.

And I was just thinking...Faye said he's "dropping his whole life", when really, he's only dropping her.  He's never been particularly attached to anyone else in the QC cast besides Faye, and this is what he's always wanted.  But try telling that to somebody who has obvious issues with abandonment...

But a witty person is fundamentally a deeply flawed person - to develop that capacity, you need to be absurdly self-centered.  No one is naturally witty, it's something that must be developed, and that development is done through a nearly constant internal monologue.

Great observation.  It definitely manifested itself in the way Angus continued to deflect Faye's horrible attitude, as well as in his responses to her every time they had a chat about "Us".

Originally, I saw Angus as a guy who cared about Faye so much that he was willing to continue to put up with/stand up to her in order to "win" her, and it seemed even more endearing when he actually pulled it off.  But now that I read your post, it does make me think something else might've been going on.  It's possible he was also enjoying the thrill of the chase, and the way it made his ego feel when he Got the Girl.  I'm not saying Angus doesn't care about Faye at all, but the way he persisted with her was probably due in large part to some emotional indifference and lack of attachment to the outcome, which is an easier state to be in when you're a bit self-centered to begin with.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 21:19 by Jazzmaster »

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

If by "fucked" you mean "the long delayed realization of a dream", then yes.

Faye's whole character has been off since Angus McBoring swooped in from nowhere as a viable boink partner, and if he gets put on the allosaurus bus, then everything gets a shake-up and a fresh new coat of paint. And dare I hope for it, the return of Sven as regular supporting character?

Whew. Take a deep breath. No raising expectations until Toto-boy is out the door.

I haven't been on the thread this week because ive been busy (and tapatalk has been acting up) but I pretty much came here to say this, lol. I never "got" angus and I'd be glad to see the character hit the dust bin.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

No.  Just... no, she's not going back to Sven.  I don't even think as a fuckbuddy, that's just too unhealthy a move for both of them. 

On  different note, I like Angus.  I know I'm pretty much alone in this, but I think I know why. 

I like wit.  I like witty people, I like to hang with them, I've developed a pretty sharp one myself over the years.  But a witty person is fundamentally a deeply flawed person - to develop that capacity, you need to be absurdly self-centered.  No one is naturally witty, it's something that must be developed, and that development is done through a nearly constant internal monologue.  Keeping that going, and fresh, is time and energy consuming, and you have to care about it an awful lot.  Which means you value your own cleverness above others.  It doesn't preclude close relations with others, but it can certainly be a stumbling block. 

Oh, and most people who don't appreciate a wit view one as an insufferable ass.   :psyduck:

See I like wit and witty people. Angus is not witty in my estimation. He's just kinda annoying.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

AS A CHARACTER, I believe Angus has run his course. He's going to something he's completely in love with doing, he's relocating geographically, and he's contributed to the growth of other characters in a significant way. I don't know if he'll be written out completely quite yet, but I can't help but feel that his story in the QC universe is done. It's time for Faye to re-enter the single zone, and cope with the emotional backlash of going through her first real breakup since this comic started. We need to see how Faye can evolve as a character and move past this.

Naturally, Sven will re-enter the picture during her coping, but in what capacity? There was at least one instance (strip #872, idk how to do the fancy weird links you people do. I'm technologically handicapped) where Sven seemed to show concern for Faye getting too drunk, and he doesn't strike me as the type to take advantage of someone who's been drinking. YES he's self-centred, YES he's egotistical, YES he had a spoiled childhood, but he has shown GENUINE remorse for how things went between him and Faye. I can't make myself believe that, if he came across a newly-single and drunk Faye alone in a bar, even IF she made a pass at him, that he would take advantage of her while she's drunk. He has been shown to give genuinely good advice in the past, to Dora, Faye, Marten, and Wil. Perhaps he'd take up that role again.

He's not a great guy. But he's trying to get better, even if he's not sure how to do that.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Not sure if it was on this thread or one of the others, but AprilArcus said something of Clinton to the effect that his self-confidence was way out of his proportion to any reason for self-confidence. You could say pretty much the same for Angus. The only way in which he's above-average is his almost painful averageness. If he were a size, he'd be extra-medium. I mean, think about it; he's average looking, seems to be of more-or-less average intelligence, his wit (supposedly his meal ticket) ain't anything to set the world on fire, his emotional intelligence kicks in from time to time but is offset by an assholeish lack of awareness, whether about his own actions or their consequences on others.

Nobody's perfect, either IRL or in fiction, so it'd be silly to expect perfection from him or anybody else. But compare him to pretty much everybody else in-comic besides, say, Penelope. Each one of them is a hot mess in some respect, but they also have something -- a skill or talent that sets them apart, or at least makes them bearable. Marten's indecisive as hell, but is a good friend and confidant, and could probably do something with his music if he had the confidence to pull it off. Faye's slowly getting the confidence back to get into her sculpture. Raven, bless her ditzy self, has intellectual gifts that are at odds with her image. Sven's a lothario that you wouldn't want within a country mile of your daughter, but writes mega hits practically without trying, in much the same way that even Jimbo manages to crank out bestsellers even though we only ever seem to see him on the verge of weeping into his yellow beer in dive bars. Try as I might, I can't see anything similar for Angus. Sure, we're told he's witty, but we haven't seen it.

Maybe it's just me, but if this is a signal that we'll be seeing less of him, I don't particularly mind. He's like that person you're secretly not happy with your friend dating; they're marginally okay as long as they keep your friend happy, but once they stop doing that, you don't have much use for them. Given that he's been as much of an ass as he's being to Faye (barring some unforeseen development or otherwise out-of-character epiphany), he can tell his story walking.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

(strip #872, idk how to do the fancy weird links you people do. I'm technologically handicapped)

Code: [Select]
[URL=http://questionablecontent.net/872]Sven characterization[/URL]

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

Not sure if it was on this thread or one of the others, but AprilArcus said something of Clinton to the effect that his self-confidence was way out of his proportion to any reason for self-confidence. You could say pretty much the same for Angus. The only way in which he's above-average is his almost painful averageness. If he were a size, he'd be extra-medium. I mean, think about it; he's average looking, seems to be of more-or-less average intelligence, his wit (supposedly his meal ticket) ain't anything to set the world on fire, his emotional intelligence kicks in from time to time but is offset by an assholeish lack of awareness, whether about his own actions or their consequences on others.

Nobody's perfect, either IRL or in fiction, so it'd be silly to expect perfection from him or anybody else. But compare him to pretty much everybody else in-comic besides, say, Penelope. Each one of them is a hot mess in some respect, but they also have something -- a skill or talent that sets them apart, or at least makes them bearable. Marten's indecisive as hell, but is a good friend and confidant, and could probably do something with his music if he had the confidence to pull it off. Faye's slowly getting the confidence back to get into her sculpture. Raven, bless her ditzy self, has intellectual gifts that are at odds with her image. Sven's a lothario that you wouldn't want within a country mile of your daughter, but writes mega hits practically without trying, in much the same way that even Jimbo manages to crank out bestsellers even though we only ever seem to see him on the verge of weeping into his yellow beer in dive bars. Try as I might, I can't see anything similar for Angus. Sure, we're told he's witty, but we haven't seen it.

Maybe it's just me, but if this is a signal that we'll be seeing less of him, I don't particularly mind. He's like that person you're secretly not happy with your friend dating; they're marginally okay as long as they keep your friend happy, but once they stop doing that, you don't have much use for them. Given that he's been as much of an ass as he's being to Faye (barring some unforeseen development or otherwise out-of-character epiphany), he can tell his story walking.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he's from a fairly well-off family? He sort of always struck me as one of those intellectual dude-bros from money who called themselves liberal because they drink coffee made with free-trade coffee beans. He was often a shit to Marigold and it was implied that he had been even more of one to her while they were in college, so I always found it weird that they were roommates.

Maybe that's not fair. I honestly would never have thought Faye would go for a guy like him. He seems like a less "himbo"-ish Steve to me. Just sort of there and just assuming that just on the strength of them being them, cool jobs and hot chicks are their due.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I'll be in the Bunker
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I guess Jeph couldn't have Marten and Faye single at the same time.  Gotta save something for the end of the comic.

But Marten and Claire are going to get married and be together for the rest of their liv...oh god How I Met Your Mother end!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

But Marten and Claire are going to get married and be together for the rest of their liv...oh god How I Met Your Mother end!

They're going to connect over an umbrella and then have a reasonable number of babies? *squeeeeee*

Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

The skull is not happy about what he thinks he caused

http://a.pomf.se/nxxxuq.gif

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Ooh, the feels! Seriously, you can actually see Faye's heart breaking in the last two panels. At least she's now admitted to Angus that she's been lying to him: She isn't happy and she won't be able to deal, emotionally, with an LDR. Jeph did a great job in telling the story of her emotions in this strip.

Now, Angus has to make a decision and it won't be an easy one. It is very likely he is going to have to choose between Faye and the bright lights of the Big City. One or the other, never both.

This is just a vague fear at this point but I wouldn't leave Faye on her own around booze or blades if Angus breaks up with her. I worry that she may decide that she wants to see her father.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

I think most would consider the early days of the comic to be from a time when Jeph might have been less aware of the implications of this violence being used for comedy.
Well d'oh!

Jeph makes mildly transphobic jokes in the first 500, and even had to retcon a rape joke. It's all part of his development as a writer, but to say that the first years of the comic were wholly unproblematic would be rather naive.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Angus, does that foot taste good? Is that why you've jammed it in all the way up to your knee?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

oof. painful bit o' self honesty there for faye. do i see a bottle of emergency bourbon in her near future? and possibly a drunken booty-call at sven's?

far as angus goes, well... he's not being the most empathetic or tactful here. buuutt, with the brave-face she's been putting up thus far, i can't really blame him for being caught a bit off guard when the mask finally slips.

i imagine that this is probably the end for angus & faye's relationship, if only because i can't really see jeph splitting the cast/story between two fairly distant geographic locations on any kind of long term basis.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

I just thought of this... but in that whole list of things that Angus has "taken care of " Faye was dead last to be mentioned...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Ooh, the feels! Seriously, you can actually see Faye's heart breaking in the last two panels.
Yes... Sad Faye is tragic. Jeph's drawing in the second-last panel said it all with no words.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

oof. painful bit o' self honesty there for faye. do i see a bottle of emergency bourbon in her near future? and possibly a drunken booty-call at sven's?

It would be supremely evil of her to hook up with Sven like that, knowing that he has feeling for her.  :psyduck:
What do you know about Pokémon?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

evil & stupid are often indistinguishable

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If Faye does have an angry upset bang with Sven I might actually stop reading out of sheer rage. Not at Jeph, mind you, because it's a completely realistic narrative. It would just depress me and I'd be furious with the Faye character.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

If Faye does have an angry upset bang with Sven I might actually stop reading out of sheer rage.
really?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That link won't load on my computer or my phone.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

... drat.

They're breaking up. They're really breaking up !

DRAT !
Carpe Diem

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

This does not look good. I expect a breakup statement from Faye tomorrow. As for the future, I am really afraid Sven's confession of love may have consequences. My best hope is that Marten and Dora team up to keep Sven away from Faye (and Faye away from booze) at all costs. This will no doubt be a strain for Claire, who has insecurities to deal with.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

If Faye does have an angry upset bang with Sven I might actually stop reading out of sheer rage. Not at Jeph, mind you, because it's a completely realistic narrative. It would just depress me and I'd be furious with the Faye character.
A brilliant excuse to make a binge-catch-up reading when the rage is gone, isn't it ?  :-D (I have to confess, I've had QC breaks of a couple of months when I have been busy or the story was moving slowly, oh what joy it is when you come back to be able to read 30 or more comics in a row...)

I would not have that kind of self-control with how the storyline is developing right now, not even if the Faye character does something really stupid, like a spite bang with Sven.

I also don't think that it would be a realistic narrative, the svenectomy looks irreversible to me... UNLESS Faye decides out of pure spite or in an uncontrollable fit of rage to turn EVERYBODY against her. Remember, Dora svenectomized because she heard that he confessed his love for Faye completely out of context and situation. Now, this would bring Faye into a situation I would't want to happen. It would alienate and isolate a main character from the other main characters.

But after all, it's up to Jeph to decide which way the story goes...

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

This is sad. Not very surprising at this point but still sad.

And also seems to bring back posters who still haven't gotten over the fact that Faye and Marten didn't hook up post-Talk.

I sorta see the complaint about Angus' lack of character development. He started out as a running gag, true, but has played a large role in Faye's healing. I kinda like him and I would say that any lack of character development is due to lack of air-time. This, of course, reflects Jeph's plans. So let's wait and see.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

sluthy

Is Dora still in the shop? Is she seeing/overhearing any of this?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20   Go Up