Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ska!  (Read 31864 times)

exliontamer

Ska!
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2005, 14:15 »

Hey nerd, don't go giving out our secret web cache of Konami Code music. Yes, it's true. I too was in the Konami Code with Ponifa.

(darrell)

exliontamer

Ska!
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jan 2005, 14:16 »

And I just realized you're not even visible in the picture...I wonder if everyone else can figure out which one is me...

ponifa

Ska!
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jan 2005, 18:59 »

Yeah, I hardly ever get in the pictures, but it's for the best. I like to leave it up to gueswrok, I'm hoping people think I'm Chris,  he's so dreamy.

wibblethefish

Ska!
« Reply #53 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:12 »

wow, finally people who've heard of catch 22 an streetlight manifesto, everyone i mention them too just looks blankly at me.

i got the live catch 22 cd for christmas and managed to get 'alone in a crowd' a while ago but i can't get 'everything goes numb' here in good old england, looks like i'll just have to get it when i see them in april.

jessi

Ska!
« Reply #54 on: 07 Feb 2005, 21:19 »

i felt the need to revive this thread just to ask "has anyone here heard of Pain?"

exliontamer

Ska!
« Reply #55 on: 08 Feb 2005, 13:09 »

Isn't Pain vehemently against being called "ska"? Also aren't they (or didn't they used to be) overtly Christian?

I just remember Pain really bothering the hell out of me one time after I read their liner notes.

EDIT: Also in response to the Catch 22 talk. I was a Catch 22 fan, now I am a Streetlight Manifesto fan. The band which currently calls themselves Catch 22 should just pick a new name because they ARE NOT Catch 22.

"If you hate me so much then stop playing my songs"
- Thomas Kalnoky

jessi

Ska!
« Reply #56 on: 08 Feb 2005, 17:50 »

you know, i'm not too sure. i only recently heard them and quite liked it. though, if they are what you say, that's pretty obnoxious of them.

Rauko

Ska!
« Reply #57 on: 08 Feb 2005, 19:01 »

Ska is my very lifes blood.  A lot of the names I've seen tossed around are the well known bands and all.  Of those early Catch-22, streelight manifesto, The Specials, Less That Jake are good, I've never been a big Reel Big Fish fan.  I've always felt they gained popularity because they were in the right palce at the right time, but they have some songs I do like.  I'm a huge fan of Link 80, The Suicide Machines, Operation Ivy, Bendouin Soundclash (I reccomend to everyone), Hepcat, The Toasters, Blue Meanies, Coquettish, Common Rider, The Slackers, and then Mike Park's bands Skankin' Pickel, The Bruce Lee Band, and the Chinkees, then there's Telegraph, The Knowledge (Nick Traina RIP) and more.  I'm sure I've missed a few, but I reccomend all those bands with much love.  Also, a lot of Ted Leo and the Pharmacists has some Ska-ish rifts to it.  If you haven't heard Ted Leo, then you're missing out on an incredible solo project.

exliontamer

Ska!
« Reply #58 on: 08 Feb 2005, 20:34 »

Yeah, I liked Pain at first too, that's why it made me all pissy when I read their liner notes because it was like a slap in the face or something. I really like that Jabberjaw song they did for Cartoon Network.

"I get no respect..."

blindsuperhero

Ska!
« Reply #59 on: 09 Feb 2005, 01:02 »

Quote from: Rauko
I'm sure I've missed a few, but I reccomend all those bands with much love.

If you haven't heard Choking Victim, you should check them out. Also if you like Link 80 you'll probably like Capdown.

jessi

Ska!
« Reply #60 on: 09 Feb 2005, 03:50 »

which liner notes? i only have wonderful beef. tell me more about this face slapping.

Akbar

Ska!
« Reply #61 on: 09 Feb 2005, 04:17 »

Desmond Dekker?

Yes, please!

AndSheeWas

Ska!
« Reply #62 on: 09 Feb 2005, 05:11 »

I have one word, and that word is

DeathrockZombie

Ska!
« Reply #63 on: 09 Feb 2005, 05:55 »

that album cover's classic...

I love older "Skinhead Reggae" like the Skinhead Moonstomp.

The Skatalites and Bob Marely's The Wailers was awesome

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Ska!
« Reply #64 on: 09 Feb 2005, 13:43 »

Did i forget Madness? If I did, then that makes me not a winner.
But I did forget to mention an incredible band out of Montreal called THE PLANET SMASHERS! I dont know how I could havnt forgotten them since they are probabably my favourite ska band.

Stomp Records, what what.
I like the way you work it.

Rauko

Ska!
« Reply #65 on: 09 Feb 2005, 17:11 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
I'm sure I've missed a few, but I reccomend all those bands with much love.

If you haven't heard Choking Victim, you should check them out. Also if you like Link 80 you'll probably like Capdown.

Chocking Victim/Left Over Crack!  How could I forget!  I also forgot Against All Authority I think....

And yes, Desmond Dekker, the King of Ska!  I feel all sorry and stuff for forgetting to include him.

eternalcowboy

Ska!
« Reply #66 on: 09 Feb 2005, 21:18 »

I used to be in a ska band.  Good times, sort of.

But anyways, the last ska record I really dug was Common Rider's final album.  Pretty good shit.

Hostile

Ska!
« Reply #67 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:45 »

I got my Ska dance down now, I can dig it. ;)

AndSheeWas

Ska!
« Reply #68 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:16 »

In our neck of the woods, we call that "skanking." ;-)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Ska!
« Reply #69 on: 10 Feb 2005, 07:28 »

Eueurgh.

I dunno, ska might be bearable for me without skanking. It's just every time I hear it, I get the mental image of what skanking looks like and my enjoyment factor becomes negative.

Seriously, you should see the guy who sings for this local ska band doing it, it's actually scary. He looks like he's been possessed by a voodoo god of rubber chickens.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Rauko

Ska!
« Reply #70 on: 10 Feb 2005, 10:29 »

Watch a Mighty Mighty Bosstones video.  There is actually a band member that's only job is to skank, and he does it liike it should be done.  Or you can llok at the trumpet player of the Toasters... yeah he's silly...

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Ska!
« Reply #71 on: 10 Feb 2005, 15:38 »

Skanking is God's gift to the world. I was doing today down the crowned streets of downtown Toronto. Good times.

Also, there is another band called Lo and The Magnets everyone should listen to, they are formally known as The Kingpins, but in my opinion, Lo's music is better.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #72 on: 10 Feb 2005, 16:15 »

Watch a Mighty Mighty Bosstones video.  There is actually a band member that's only job is to skank, and he does it liike it should be done.  Or you can llok at the trumpet player of the Toasters... yeah he's silly...

I just watched 'You Gotta Go!'.

I'm sorry, I don't understand, was that meant to make me think better of skanking?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Rauko

Ska!
« Reply #73 on: 11 Feb 2005, 08:07 »

Yes, yes it was.  there is an art and a history to skanking, and that guy pulls it off really well.  There are people that jsut flail about and then there are people that actually know what they're doing.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #74 on: 11 Feb 2005, 10:09 »

There's an art and history to almost everything. I personally contend that no amount of art or history could prevent skanking people from looking like prats, though I must say the guy in the vid was better than most I've seen on the dancefloor.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Ska!
« Reply #75 on: 08 Mar 2005, 17:45 »

Quote from: Akbar
Desmond Dekker?

Yes, please!

Damn right!  Only three mentions of Desmond Dekker in a ska thread?  For shame!  Not that I consider myself much of a ska fan, but bugger me if I can't help but skank madly every time I give "Get Up Edina" a spin.

Segal

Ska!
« Reply #76 on: 08 Mar 2005, 18:09 »

I think the only ska band I've really been into is Less Than Jake. I have most of their main albums, save for Losers, Kings, And Things We Don't Understand. And I really liked Anthem at the time it was released. Still do; I guess it just holds a lot of memories for me.

macktheknife

Ska!
« Reply #77 on: 08 Mar 2005, 19:47 »

Oh man I used to be a giant ska kid.

I remember I once wore plaid golf pants to school with my Toasters shirt.

Man, thank god times have changed.

blooflame

Two more fun Ska bands
« Reply #78 on: 08 Mar 2005, 20:54 »

Mephiskapholes  (pronounced like Mephistopheles - i.e.  the devil) - they do a great cover of the James Bond theme song!!

and, local Tallahassee ska legends Baconne Dolce - the song I remember is "Sugar Cookie Girl"

Freezey

Ska!
« Reply #79 on: 08 Mar 2005, 22:09 »

My favorites would be the aforementioned Streetlight Manifesto and Keasbey Nights-era Catch 22.

Speaking of Catch 22, I just found their original demo (pre keasbey nights w/tom kalnoky on vocals, obviously) on a tracker site tonight, as well as the only full length by "Gimp"--Tomas Kalnoky's first band. I am pleased.

As for others...Slapstick is a great one, and the Suicide Machines! Their first album "Destruction by Definition" is loaded with great ska-punk. Their later records didn't have as much ska, but that first one is still one of my favorites since I picked it up (...err, no pun intended) four years ago.

Choking Victim and that whole family tree of bands I'm far too lazy to list is another great bunch.

Theres a fun little ska comic called 21 Dead Monkeys, worth checking out to any casual fan of ska and uh, funny things.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Ska!
« Reply #80 on: 09 Mar 2005, 05:59 »

The moment less than jake went on tour with linkin park, they lost a lot of respect...their old stuff is still good, but i can't listen to it without thinking "errgg. projekt revolution..."
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #81 on: 09 Mar 2005, 09:15 »

the aquabats= total awesomenessnessness

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Ska!
« Reply #82 on: 09 Mar 2005, 14:06 »

Yes! The aquabats are hypercrazycool:D
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Akbar

Ska!
« Reply #83 on: 10 Mar 2005, 13:19 »

I just have to mention what is one of the best rock bands in swedish history - Monster. They did the whole ska/punk thing pretty darn well.

Plus it was quite possibly one of the coolest looking bands ever.

Too bad they imploded and vanished a few years ago.

rip

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Ska!
« Reply #84 on: 10 Mar 2005, 14:58 »

Agreed about the Aquabats. They're too cool.  I also really heart  The Rudiments.  I have a friend who promotes a lot of ska shows so I'm constantly skankin' it up.  I'm seeing the Planet Smashers tomorrow *squeals*

daviesmatt

Ska!
« Reply #85 on: 10 Mar 2005, 15:09 »

Ska is cool..

I sat through a Sum 41 concert just to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones live.

Dedication or stupidity - YOU DECIDED !!!!111one

They absolutely fucking rocked though.

2nd best concert I've been to.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Ska!
« Reply #86 on: 10 Mar 2005, 15:24 »

Urg, they better have! Sum-41?!  gaagk

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #87 on: 10 Mar 2005, 15:26 »

sum 41 were supported by "reel big fish" at one point.

sturge loves teh fish

daviesmatt

Ska!
« Reply #88 on: 10 Mar 2005, 15:32 »

Quote from: redglasscurls
Urg, they better have! Sum-41?!  gaagk

Even worse - my girlfriend at the time was a huge sum41 fan.

And the bitch hated the Bosstones.

So I ended up dancing with her best friend when the bosstones came on, then having to put up with her bitching about how she was too short to see sum41. AND THEN SHE FUCKING HAD A GO AT ME FOR DANCING WITH HER FRIEND BECAUSE SHE WOULDNT LEAVE HER FUCKING SEAT

GODDAMMIT, ALL THE REPRESSED RAGE IS COMING OUT NOW

RARRGHHIJK_*(&*^&(!

(Note = My ex seriously deserved the "bitch" statement. Fucking teenage skank.)

</rant>

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Ska!
« Reply #89 on: 10 Mar 2005, 16:37 »

I *almost* got to see reel big fish live, but my boyfriend at the time was a real drag at concerts because he refused to dance, and my sister and her boyfriend were both working so i had no ride. So no fishes for the manda:(

lavinia nebbs

Ska!
« Reply #90 on: 11 Mar 2005, 07:15 »

I really like ska.  I'm not as into it as I used to me (particularly in middle school) but I saw the slackers twice last year, which is seriously freakin' incredible.  Oh, I saw reel big fish last november too, which was a flashback for sure...but I'm not as familiar with their new-ish stuff.  
I think it's neat that someone mentioned Ted Leo in reference to ska, cause when I saw them a couple months ago (without knowing of their music AT ALL) I conciously thought that several of their songs had that infectious riff that I so much love.  

the only problem is that my boobs are too big for me to comfortably skank.  curses!

Spencer

Ska!
« Reply #91 on: 11 Mar 2005, 07:32 »

Quote from: Freezey

Speaking of Catch 22, I just found their original demo (pre keasbey nights w/tom kalnoky on vocals, obviously) on a tracker site tonight, as well as the only full length by "Gimp"--Tomas Kalnoky's first band. I am pleased.

Ive got a real copy of that demo somewhere. When I was in HS I used to write a Zine, and somehow I was on Victory Records promotions list, so they sent me the demo tape to review. I didn't realize there was a different singer on the demo, and on Keasby Nights (which they also sent me when it came out). Is there yet another singer on the follow-up to Keasby? I didnt like that record, and fell out of love with c22 because of it.

Freezey

Ska!
« Reply #92 on: 11 Mar 2005, 13:05 »

There was a new vocalist on "Alone in a Crowd", and yet ANOTHER new vocalist on "Dinosaur Sounds" and onward. I haven't heard Alone in a Crowd so I can't comment on that one, but Dinosaur Sounds is pretty awful. Keasbey Nights is one of my favorite ska/punk records, though.

Conatonc

Ska!
« Reply #93 on: 11 Mar 2005, 16:13 »

The moment less than jake went on tour with linkin park, they lost a lot of respect...their old stuff is still good, but i can't listen to it without thinking "errgg. projekt revolution..."

You know, LTJ did the Warped Tour for 6-7 consecutive years, I don't blame them (or possibly it was their pushy major label record company) for doing a different kind of tour to try and broaden their audience. Even though it was Linkin Park's tour. Hell, LTJ had the opening slot for Bon Jovi for their whole tour a few years back.

I love Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake, but I don't really consider either of them ska anymore. Maybe at one point you could make a strong case, but both have moved pretty far away from their earlier ska-influenced sounds in the past few years. I don't think I've seen Mustard Plug mentioned in this thread yet. They're a damn good band, although they probably peaked back in the mid-90's with the Evildoers Beware album. I also would like to second Hepcat and toss in Let's Go Bowling as good, more traditional ska bands to check out.

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #94 on: 11 Mar 2005, 16:49 »

LTJ are less ska nowadays, but id say that most of reel big fishes songs are still ska, punk-ska.

early goldfinger is great too, they have a wee bit of teh ska about them

Conatonc

Ska!
« Reply #95 on: 12 Mar 2005, 14:15 »

Goldfinger's first two albums had a really good dose of the punk/ska in them. It's a shame they became aggressive Vegans over their last two albums and don't write very good music anymore.

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #96 on: 12 Mar 2005, 14:23 »

Quote from: Conatonc
Goldfinger's first two albums had a really good dose of the punk/ska in them. It's a shame they became aggressive Vegans over their last two albums and don't write very good music anymore.

aye, indeed it is.

festerius

Ska!
« Reply #97 on: 12 Mar 2005, 15:52 »

Ska is my second love! (My first love being Oi Punk)

My top five Ska Bands are (in order)

1. The Skatalites
2. The Suspects
3. The Toasters
4. The Adjusters
5. Maroon Town

*Notice the "The..." theme with ska bands? What's with that?! Or is that just bands in general?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Ska!
« Reply #98 on: 13 Mar 2005, 10:17 »

I think the "The" thing is more any band with horns, because there's a lot of Jazz bands with "the" in their names. Like the best Jazz band ever, The Seatbelts.

Ska is the shit, however most people who like ska liked emo for a while. Including my big brother who introduced me to ska. How the hell did that happen? To so many people, nonetheless?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #99 on: 13 Mar 2005, 10:56 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
I think the "The" thing is more any band with horns, because there's a lot of Jazz bands with "the" in their names. Like the best Jazz band ever, The Seatbelts.

Ska is the shit, however most people who like ska liked emo for a while. Including my big brother who introduced me to ska. How the hell did that happen? To so many people, nonetheless?

i love the outro to cowboy bebop by yoko kanno and the seatbelts. its great
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up