THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 07:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death From Above 1979  (Read 10861 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Death From Above 1979
« on: 10 Apr 2005, 10:37 »

I saw them live last night, with controller.controller and a band called Throwrag (think of what would happen if pirates made punk music and also had a washboard player in their band).

I got this.

They were amazing live. Seriously amazing. Jesse used the keyboard like it was another one of his limbs, and Sebastien played the hell out of his drum kit and also made us laugh our asses off.

I can't make the Regina/Vagina joke, it's too obvious. The first time we came through, I said it and I felt like an idiot. So the second time we came through, I said "Let's hear it for Regina, the only city in Canada that rhymes with tits!"

Some idiots requested "Sexy Results" even though they'd already played that song, and played it AMAZINGLY.

Honestly, their set was just incredible.

Anybody else seen them/going to see them?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 13:10 »

I still don't have their album, but I saw them at the end of January and they were ace, I got to do an interview with them too - it was the biggest headfuck I've ever had, and they made clear from the outset that they don;t see the point in that part of the music press, but it was one of the most interesting ones I've ever done.  It stopped being an interview and turned into a proper intellectual discussion, it was great...I have a lot of respect for them.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2005, 13:12 »

The album is awesome.

Apparently they're playing Bristol Fleece in May. If I don't have an exam I am so there.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2005, 13:19 »

I'd love to see them but they don't come anywhere within 5 hours of here and is thus out of my reach.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2005, 13:32 »

Quote from: muffy
I got to do an interview with them

I was hella intimidated when I decided to go ask for their autographs, so I can imagine what an interview with them would be like.

muffy

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2005, 14:21 »

I used to get intimidated at the thought of doing them, especially if it's bands I like a lot, but I tend to go in with a slightly cocky 'I'm doing my thing, you can be an arse if you want, but you'll be made to look to like a twat in the write up', and it generally goes well, if you've got the confidence to defend why you're doing what you're doing.  
The exception was Adam Green, who was an arse, and was made to look like a twat in the write up.

I think DFA actually changed the way I thought about interviews, because they were one of the few bands who made any effort to challenge what was being said, but did it in a productive way. They rule.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2005, 15:45 »

Yah, they're really great live. I saw them for the first time about a year and a half ago, no one knew who they were and everyone refused to dance except me. I bought their cd that show, its pretty kickin', not as good as their newest one though. I <3 Black History Month.
I like the way you work it.

Burninated Peasant

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2005, 16:49 »

Don't you hate it when people won't dance just because they don't know the song? I used to go to a goth club that was chock full of fuckin' poseurs. I remember bringing a CD (can't remember what group it was) and no one would go on the floor. It had a strong beat and completely fit with the rest of the music that got played. But I guess if it's not Rammstein (ugh!) or NIN it's not worth the effort.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:05 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
I <3 Black History Month.

Quoted for agreeance.

muffy

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:09 »

Don't even get me started on that!
The number of times that's happened...
THE DJ IS NOT A FUCKING JUKEBOX -
I WILL NOT PLAY MR FUCKING BRIGHTSIDE IF YOU INDIE FUCKS KEEP COMING UP AND BEING TWATS ABOUT IT, NOW GO AND DANCE TO THE FAINT, YOU SOCIALLY CHALLENGED FUCKTARDS.
The worst thing is when you play something and not only do people stop dancing, they turn round, cross their arms and stare at you.

Damn, I guess I got started after all.

But yes, if something's danceable, dance to it, don't stand around checking how many scene points you're earning by being an arse.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:10 »

I wish I could DJ. I don't mean "have the skills to," I mean "had the opportunity to."

muffy

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:11 »

There are no skills. Just nepotism. :)

Burninated Peasant

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:19 »

Quote from: muffy
But yes, if something's danceable, dance to it, don't stand around checking how many scene points you're earning by being an arse.

Exactly. I went to an afterparty for a spoken word show last month. The place we went to was doing a hip hop night. I don't own any hip hop. I don't listen to hip hop. I don't particularly like hip hop. But it is really easy to dance to. Why would anybody just fuckin' stand there while there are 100 people on the dance floor having fun? I like fun. Dancing is 5% about the music, and 95% about movin', groovin', and abandoning your inhibitions.

edit: Holy crap! Post 200! I think that beats the most posts I've ever made to a forum by, oh, 170 or so. ;) The QC community truly is fuggin' awesome!

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2005, 21:32 »

Death From Above 1979 are fucking great. I am hoping to see them on Tuesday in Minneapolis. Anyone else going to that show? If so, able to give me a ride?

Anyway.

I was really really surprised the other day when I saw DFA1979 on MTV's "You Hear It First" section. It made me kind of happy, actually.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Spencer

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2005, 08:18 »

I was watchign FoX RoX this weekend and it was mentioned that the dude from LCD Soundsystem sued DFA79 because it infringed on LCD Soundsystems Labels name, which is Death From Above.

I thought it rather silly, especially since there is a large possibility that his label, and project, will amount to nothing.

muffy

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2005, 08:51 »

It wasn't James Murphy himself who tried to sue DFA- it was people concerned with the admin of the label and not the music, James Murphy by all accounts couldn't give a fuck... DFA 1979 didn't know this and put a post up on their website calling him a c*nt, changed their name as little as they could (with the 1979 bit) but pointed out that Death From Above is  a pretty common phrase and shouldn't be owned by anyone...

Not An Addict

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #16 on: 05 Aug 2005, 12:43 »

Bumping this thread because I saw the "Black History Month" video on TV last week, became weirdly attached to the song, and now I'm seriously considering buying the album. I don't like a lot of new indie bands, but these guys sound really good.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #17 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:52 »

The album is fantastic, although my personal opinion (as you can see above) is that "Black History Month" is the best song on it. "Sexy Results" comes close.

Can't wait for the new album to come out.

yuff

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #18 on: 05 Aug 2005, 19:05 »

i saw em last time they were in s'toon... ilubsdfa =p

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #19 on: 05 Aug 2005, 19:55 »

Hahaha nice quote.

I could've saw them but I had uhh shall we say obligations. Next time though...next time.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #20 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:24 »

hmmm...i've never really been a fan, but such glowing recommendations makes me think about giving them another shot.  i'll be seeing them with QotSA & NIN in toronto this november so it seems like a good idea to brush up and try again.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Re: Death From Above 1979
« Reply #21 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:41 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I saw them live last night, with controller.controller and a band called Throwrag (think of what would happen if pirates made punk music and also had a washboard player in their band).

Some idiots requested "Sexy Results" even though they'd already played that song, and played it AMAZINGLY.

I just read this thread again and totally realized you mentioned Controller.Controller! I've seen them 3 or 4 times, and absolutely LOVE them, I think they one of the best local Toronto bands and should definately be checked out by anyone around the globe wanting to dance to an awesome lady singer.  Also, I am totally jealous of the fact that you got to hear Sexy Results live. I've seen DFA live several times and have never heard it....AND IT'S ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS BY THEM!
I like the way you work it.

Knock

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #22 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:45 »

i love DFA, they got me to start buying CDs

kevin.

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #23 on: 06 Aug 2005, 05:12 »

DFA are good, i saw them with metric a little while ago. seems like theyve kind of kept a formula in their selection of indie girl-singer support bands going for controller controller. who are also good.

SpacemanSpiff

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #24 on: 06 Aug 2005, 10:47 »

I've only found about DFA1979 thanks to this board, and they seem rather good, but allow me to say: Everything DFA1979 does, Lightning Bolt can do better. Except for singing, because Lighting Bolt don't sing. But their music simply rocks a lot harder, though that's just my personal opinion of course.
Oh, wait, another thing DFA does a lot better: They're socially more acceptable, for example at a party where you want to dance to decent music. Not that you can' dance to Lightning Bolt, but people might just leave the room.

Still, for those here, who are interested bass/drum bands now, I've got some for you, along with MP3 links (legal ones, of course):
Lightning Bolt - Download Dracula Mountain and be amazed. This band kicks ass so hard it's unbelievable. But I think the MP3 is cropped at some point.
Ruins - A noise band from Japan. Rhythmically extremely complex stuff, tightly played and sligthly insane.

And from "I can't believe this qualifies as music"-department:
Burmese - 2 drums and 2 basses and more hate than every other band on this planet. Sick shit. Is that even music?
the White Mice - Bass, drums - and an oscillator. It's noise, but it's asskicking noise.

I assume, Lightning Bolt is by far the most interesting option here, but if you want to, give the others a shot as well.
But I demand that you listen to Lightning Bolt! ;)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #25 on: 06 Aug 2005, 11:50 »

Lightning Bolt were pretty damn repetitive tbh, and the white mice had those mathy sort of rhythms I loathe.

Burmese were probably the best band out of that lot, but 'hardly music'? 'most hate-filled band ever'? oh please! Try 'Do Not Speak', 'Cataclysmic Nihilism' or 'I Wish I Could Vomit Blood On You...People' by Anaal Nathrakh, 'Hymn III: Of Wolf and Hatred' by Ulver, 'Blood is the Mortar' by 1349, the whole 'Panzer Division Marduk' album my Marduk, absolutely anything by Abyssic Hate...I mean, there's taste, and there's accuracy...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

SpacemanSpiff

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #26 on: 06 Aug 2005, 19:12 »

Lightning Bolt are repetitive if you don't listen to the drums. It's that simple. They vary quite a bit, actually.
Oh, and live, Lightning Bolt kick everyone else's ass simply because they have a 4800W (no typo and no joke) bass amp. This is simply too loud to handle and the bass will be painfully noticable in your stomach.

And as for Burmese: I was also referring to the lyrics, which glorify rape and war and are not jokes. I was referring to the live shows which pretty much consist of everyone trying to kill everyone else in the room (literally, this is not moshing, the band wants to see actual unfiltered, random violence and they will participate). I was referring to the fact that the song you can download there is poppy compared to the rest they have in their discography.
I know that there's this goth/metal/noise/whatever satanism stuff. But frankly, I've been exposed to stuff like that that was apparently considered hard and noisy and all of it had structure. All of it seemed to have a goal, even if it was to promote a destructive ideology. Burmese don't. This is simple violence, without a goal, without an ideology. It's pure animal instinct, and this appeals to me.

Also, mathy rhythms rule. If a song is so weird you can't follow it, if it's undanceable because the song won't seem to go straight for even four seconds, I love it. Of course that's just me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #27 on: 06 Aug 2005, 21:15 »

When you say 'goth satanism stuff' or w/e, what do you actually mean? What bands? Because there is a pretty large gap between, say, Cannibal Corpse and Abyssic Hate. The difference is mainly having band photos like this: http://www.elementalist.net/abyssic/visuals/dead.jpg
Now, AxHx are a bit ott, but it serves a point. Have Burmese ever killed anyone? Hell, they even signed to a label! Pussies.

My main beef was with questioning whether is was music anyway. I mean, you can hear fucking notes man. Music has to be a seething face-aimed chainsaw of static masking spoken diseased gurgles in orcish with seperate instruments, including the drums, lost in a sea of painful, hissing noise before you start questioning it's musicality.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
Death From Above 1979
« Reply #28 on: 06 Aug 2005, 22:55 »

Hey so yeah DFA1979 are pretty good then?

When they played "Sexy Results," Sebastien didn't use bongos, he used the rim of his snare. Totally xhardcorex.

Kanno

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #29 on: 07 Aug 2005, 00:35 »

Just to be the counterpoint here, I don't think DFA are anything to shout about.  Then again, I haven't seen their live show.

SpacemanSpiff

Death From Above 1979
« Reply #30 on: 07 Aug 2005, 04:43 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
When you say 'goth satanism stuff' or w/e, what do you actually mean? What bands? Because there is a pretty large gap between, say, Cannibal Corpse and Abyssic Hate. The difference is mainly having band photos like this: http://www.elementalist.net/abyssic/visuals/dead.jpg
Now, AxHx are a bit ott, but it serves a point. Have Burmese ever killed anyone? Hell, they even signed to a label! Pussies.

Burmese stopped when random people were bleeding / when the band was knocked out, so I guess you have a point there.
And I can't remember the names, but given the description below, I doubt that I've been exposed to Abyssic Hate and I suppose that, if your description fits, they are worse.
However, Google reveals that Abyssic Hate is indeed signed to a label as well. And I can't find anything about that guy having killed someone. Do you have a link?

My main beef was with questioning whether is was music anyway. I mean, you can hear fucking notes man. Music has to be a seething face-aimed chainsaw of static masking spoken diseased gurgles in orcish with seperate instruments, including the drums, lost in a sea of painful, hissing noise before you start questioning it's musicality.

In other words ... Merzbow and Whitehorse? Well, save for the orcish and tons of references to satan or similar destructive ideologies - but I guess that's just a personal problem I have with the whole black metal scene: I'm an atheist (note that I do not say "agnostic" here), so to me, nothing supernatural exists.
But this is getting very off-topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up