THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 May 2024, 13:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands that are cool to hate  (Read 34871 times)

Robbo

Bands that are cool to hate
« Reply #50 on: 09 May 2005, 04:38 »

I dunno, Metalcrypt had a decent piece about all that. Evolution is one thing....but no turning into a pile of shit.

Hecuba

« Reply #51 on: 09 May 2005, 08:51 »

I met the lead singer of Norma Jean last summer or so and he was very nice. (He let me use his cell phone because mine was dead. Give the boy some brownie points.) Although, as Ryan Adams has proved time and time again, musical talent is generally not related at all to one's worth as a human being.

At any rate, I find that it is quite cool to hate on R.E.M., which makes me sad because they are my babies. (I've never met a hipster that likes them, although as I am a somewhat younger fan I can't really speak for the pre-Warner Bros. fan contigent. Perhaps it's the popularity factor?)

Oh, and hating Bright Eyes is neither redundant nor unnecessary. His lyrics make my pretentious brain happy, but his voice makes my harmony-junkie ears sad.

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #52 on: 09 May 2005, 09:08 »

Pop Punk was a cool genere when it was the queers, schreeching weasel, boris the sprinkler, groovie ghoulies, ect. This GC-esque radio rock is just that radio rock.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #53 on: 09 May 2005, 10:00 »

Quote from: Robbo
I dunno, Metalcrypt had a decent piece about all that. Evolution is one thing....but no turning into a pile of shit.

It's one thing if you do an Eighteen Visions and go from playing rock-hard metalcore to shitty radio pop, but people who decry Poison the Well from 'Tear From the Red' and onwards are idiots. Oh no, how dare they use the occasional melodic run. Boo-fucking-hoo.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #54 on: 09 May 2005, 10:06 »

Why do you care so much? People can think Poison The Well got rubbish if they want. Personally I think the early stuff's boring as hell too, but I must admit I prefer it to the turgid rubbish I heard from later records.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #55 on: 09 May 2005, 11:12 »

I write about music, which means I care too much about music, period. That, and I also have anal tendencies that cause me to retain when things are not given a fair evaluation.

Jeridus

« Reply #56 on: 01 Jun 2005, 19:50 »

I hate no music... ever... I can be indifferent, like to GC and their whinier Canadian counterpart Simple Plan... even rap and country and vastly over-played european dance music (i.e. Ozone)... but I don't hate them... hell, I listen to everything... I've got some MCR, I've got a ton of White Stripes. In that sense, to me, music is quiet often just music... I'll listen to something that suits the particular mood I'm in. Sometimes when I just don't care, I queue up the whole library and randomize the order. Sure, there's music that I like more than the rest (Metric, Arcade Fire, DFA1979, etc.)

But, for sure, hating something because it's cool to do so, or because everyone else likes it is just really ignorant... it's poseurism taken to the extreme

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #57 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:30 »

Ok, let me start off with saying I'm not usually this harsh. My point: Hating any band, however bad, is NOT cool. If you thing saying forcing your distaste for certain music (no matter how crappy) on people is cool, you're a loser and probably need a new hobby.

I appoligize once again for my harshness.
I like the way you work it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:32 »

^ I don't understand that entirely. Typos?

But I certainly know there's enough bands I hate. And why the hell not? Hate and anger are good things. Ying-yang, woman! Music to me is a serious matter, so I have serious feelings about it. That's like saying you're not allowed to hate any politicians, no matter how evil they are. Stop me now before I Godwin!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

La Creme

« Reply #59 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:39 »

I agree about the music hate thing. It is annoying as fuck when you're a hater. Haters suck. I've never gripped onto the concept of disliking something being cool... Don't trends and such always center around liking something? Isn't that the point?

blindsuperhero

« Reply #60 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:41 »

Miller's paradox!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:45 »

I don't hate anything because it's trendy to hate it.

I just hate stuff.

It fills the void left by the absence of love from my miserable existence -_-
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Azathoth

rant
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:02 »

Hating Dave Matthews is a necessary if not sufficient condition to get you on my list of cool people.  I don't see how anyone could use the following words to to describe his music: 'sincere', 'cathartic', 'rockin', 'thought provoking', 'not-shit'.  Additionally, the bland universality he so painstakingly infuses his music with ensures he will be utterly ubiquitous.  If I don't want to hear linkin park, I don't have to but I can't get away from Dave Matthews band.  I work at a starbucks and its only natural that we sell dmb cds there.  Yuppies buy his cd with their lattes like people buy gum in the grocery store line.  "I haven't developed any real taste in music but hey I've heard of this guy, he must be good.  That and that creepy fuckin mermaid (it's actually a siren) on my coffee cup recomends it so I guess I'll buy it.  I wasn't doing anything else with all this disposable income."

Additionally his anti-Bush (I hate Bush) rhetoric was the most ironic and futile things I have ever witnessed.  First, his fan base is composed of yuppies and frat boys who vote republican anyway.  Second, he's an inarticulate, insipid spokesperson.   The whole Vote for Change tour was about as effecacious for enacting change as slapping one of those support our troops ribbons on your gas guzzling suv is to defeating the Iraqi insurgency.  I hate you Dave Matthews, you disingenuous fuck.

The White Stripes have some good tunes and are known to rock occaissonaly but I think the backlash is due to having them forced down our throats.  They won a lot of fans not because of their music but because they had a clever lego-mation video that appealed to our childhood nostalgia.  That and they were the talk of celebrity and rock magazines long before anyone was buying their records.  Quipped one sceptic on some show I saw, "I'm glad I was told to like them."  The White Stripes are also responsible in part, I think, for this whole indie is a sound thing.  Indie is not a sound.  Real indie bands are bands who do as much as they can to bypass major label/industry bullshit.   It's a method of operation. I think it's harmful to think of indie as a sound or a recent explosion in the industry.  You risk turning it into a fad and you discourage people from looking any further than the sound the industry has co-opted.

Sorry, that was a long rant.

La Creme

« Reply #63 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:06 »

Wait a second Khar, you have a "Miserable Existence"? Doesn't that make you a (dum dum duuuuum) EMO kid?

La-dee-dumbles, I'ma just kidding. To hate is unfortunately human but I try as hard as I can to like or at least put up with nearly everything.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:32 »

Guys this isn't about bands that you hate; it's bands that pop-or-indie-culture deems it hip to hate. Let's not make this a big festival of antagonism, hey?

Anyhow, Stylus appears to hate any band comprosed of 1) boys and 2) guitars.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:35 »

First, I do not see how it is possible to hate the Bravery.

Second, around here it seems pretty popular to hate Mars Volta, but that may just be a local thing.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Azathoth

re
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:39 »

True, my post was kinda tangental but my disjointed thoughts may contain insight into why scenesters hate them.   Particularly in the Stripes' case.

And I eagerly await your reaction to my disc, Johnny C (off topic, sorry).

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #67 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:58 »

A lot of hipsters I run into hate The Mars Volta, which would be fine if they could provide a reason other than "They are pretentious assholes"... please, the whole "indie/hipster" scene revolves around being a pretentious asshole, the majority of musicians can be described as pretentious assholes.  It is such a weak reason to back such a strong dislike of something.  That is why I have concluded that it is cool to hate The Mars Volta among certain circles of hipsters.

God... I fucking hate hipsters.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:11 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Anyhow, Stylus appears to hate any band comprosed of 1) boys and 2) guitars.

Apparently there's one guy there who seriously argues that boys with guitars no longer have anything to offer modern music. At least I think that's right. But not all of them are so bad, my friend writes for them and his love for the Futureheads is massive. Unfortunately, he does the pop reviews...

Out of interest, what does an indie hipster listen to anyway?
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

jeney

« Reply #69 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:11 »

Quote from: mooface
Apparently you've all missed my point, but that's alright I expected that...

What about Bright Eyes?  Or does he suck too much to be included in this conversation as well.

I was thinking that too. Most of the people i know hate bright eyes when they haven't even listened ;\ it's just caught my attention much more than any other artist.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #70 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:27 »

You know, now that I think about it: emo bashing. That's been cool to do since time immemorial, although a lot of that these days is the fault of those bad bands that get called emo for some reason, so you can't really blame people.

jeney

« Reply #71 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:50 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
You know, now that I think about it: emo bashing. That's been cool to do since time immemorial, although a lot of that these days is the fault of those bad bands that get called emo for some reason, so you can't really blame people.

nowadays singing about girls and heartbreak = emo.
and that's only for pussies! who likes pussy music anyway?!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jun 2005, 00:03 »

Bring back the emo violence!

Coonstar

« Reply #73 on: 02 Jun 2005, 00:59 »

Yeah I don't get why it's cool to bash on The Mars Volta. They're not completely pretentious. They KNOW their lyrics are more often ridiculous than not, and that's why they just keep on pushing it and getting kicks out of it. =P

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #74 on: 02 Jun 2005, 01:40 »

Well, if someone thinks TMV are bad then they won't investigate them well enough to find out that they aren't serious about their lyrics. And I can see how people might just find their music pretentious even without taking the lyrics into account. Not something that bothers me, I think 'The Shape of Punk To Come' is a great record and that's pretentious as hell, but I can see how it would irk some people. And if it genuinely rubs them up the wrong way, then they aren't just hating it to be cool.

ASturge

« Reply #75 on: 02 Jun 2005, 02:27 »

BEST AVATAR EVER

er, back on topic: I think it depends on your definition of cool

Jeridus

« Reply #76 on: 02 Jun 2005, 08:06 »

Quote from: Lalaladida
We have no scenesters here, because there is no scene. I live in a cultural wasteland and most people hardly know any music other than what is played on our one (horrible) local radio station. It's supposed to be for hot new hit music, but it even fails at that. They still play songs that were popular 6 years ago on there.

Jesus... where do you live? the Gobi Desert? that sucks... at least wher I live, many people may be musically ignorant, but there are nearly an equal amount who are musically knowledgeable.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #77 on: 02 Jun 2005, 08:10 »

^That place sounds pretty much like where I live. Apart from a smattering of posers and elitists (in all genres and groupings) there are very few true muso's round here.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #78 on: 02 Jun 2005, 08:12 »

My town is run by scenesters.
They're everywhere, ready to strike with their angular haircuts and condescending stares.
Seriously, I live my life in fear of these creatures - it's like Big Brother only worse as there are more of them and they have more obnoxious clothing.

Jeridus

« Reply #79 on: 02 Jun 2005, 09:46 »

I live near Toronto... so, between hipsters, emo kids, and rap-fans... I'm losing my mind.

Everything seems to be an assault on my musical senses... I'm not sure which of the three are worse... the glaring hipsters, the omni-whining emokids, or the bling-blinging rapsters

Merkava

« Reply #80 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:07 »

Quote from: Tartar Martyr
The White Stripes just aren't that good.  Jack can lay down some decent stuff, but Meg's uninspired heavy handed drumming is pretty awful.

Bonham did the same thing, and look at that guy.

I personally like the White Stripes, though there are better bands who do the same thing. Whether it be the brother-sister duo gimmick (Firey Furnaces) or the bluesy thing (The Kills).

And as for Good Charolette. I hate them because I hate their music. Just because I don't like a rock band doesn't mean I don't like rock. There's a pretty fat line between a genre and a band, you know.

sp2

« Reply #81 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:10 »

Quote from: Coonstar
Yeah I don't get why it's cool to bash on The Mars Volta. They're not completely pretentious.

They're also really laid back and chill in person.  Every time I've seen them headlining a show, they've hung outside the venue and talked with random fans before the show.  On the other hand, most hipsters are total assholes and won't be seen in the near vicinity of anyone or anything they deem unworthy.

Savor the irony.

Merkava

« Reply #82 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:15 »

Quote from: Spike
First, I do not see how it is possible to hate the Bravery.

How about they and the Killers ripped off the new-wave sound of the 80's without adding anything of their own to it. Even though The Bravery's drummer went to my high school, I don't really like The Bravery. I don't hate them either, though.

The same goes for The Killers.

heretic

« Reply #83 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:48 »

i never know what's cool anymore.
actually, it seems i tend to hate what's cool, but then again i guess that's cool huh?

what a convoluted topic, and druid, i was put off to everything you said the minute you said "i'm guessing he's into metal because he hates pop-punk" (paraphrased) a generalization like that really makes me not want to listen to you anymore....

plus you like pop-punk ;)

P.S. i had never heard of the Bravery before i saw them on Conan O'Brian. i knew not whether they were cool or not, but i did not like them. they seemed astoundingly generic to me.

Merkava

« Reply #84 on: 02 Jun 2005, 14:04 »

Like Louis XIV, they aren't "favorite band list bait" because of the way they don't add anything new and interesting, but they do make fun songs.

Coonstar

« Reply #85 on: 02 Jun 2005, 16:07 »

Where I live there is a total count of

hipsters?: ZERO
emo kids: three?

And in Vancouver I don't think you see much scenesters at all, just the ocassional emo kid. They primarily only come out at night.

I wonder how many emo kids there are in Hawaii.

Crowebert

« Reply #86 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:33 »

Basically any hack band is cool to hate, like any of the post-Nickelback generic/alt-rock bands that sprung up like Default, Theory of a Deadman. And then there's Creed, one of the worst bands of all time EVER.

I also think it's immensely entertaining to not like Radiohead. I'm wearing asbestos now. :P

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #87 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:34 »

Quote from: Tartar Martyr
A lot of hipsters I run into hate The Mars Volta, which would be fine if they could provide a reason other than "They are pretentious assholes"...

90% of the hipsters who hate The Mars Volta have never listened to them in their life. For real.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Merkava

« Reply #88 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:41 »

The Mars Volta sound was MADE for hipsters.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #89 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:49 »

Made for hipsters who were too hip to get into cheesy 70's prog rock.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #90 on: 02 Jun 2005, 19:11 »

Quote from: Merkava
How about they and the Killers ripped off the new-wave sound of the 80's without adding anything of their own to it.

I disagree but that's for another topic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SeanBateman

« Reply #91 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:29 »

It's hip to Hate Bright Eyes, it's hip to hate the eels, it's hip as hell to hate on Franz Ferdinand or the Killers,

heretic

« Reply #92 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:35 »

i'm tired of this thread, it keeps tricking me, i go oooo new post something for me to read! then it just sucks. [/gripe] now i'll just shut up and stop reading it so you can all go about your bussiness without me nay-saying like a dick

Mrs. Firefly

« Reply #93 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:57 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko
I must say that it seems awfully cool to hate Norma Jean right now. Rather annoying, really.

Okay, this is a little random, but whenever someone mentions Norma Jean, I am forced to remember Cat's Eye (the best worst movie you could ever see) wherin a pre-pubescent Drew Barrymore (who is playing a rather...'exceptional' child) recieves a Cabbage Patch doll named Norma Jean. She then looks into the camera and says, " I...LOVE...NORMA...JEAN!" And then the nuns take her away.

The point is, even though their music might not bring my joy, their name does. You just gotta find good in stuff that you 'hate'. And also because nuns are funny.

Isn't it supposed to be cool to hate the Libertines? I could be mistaken.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #94 on: 06 Jun 2005, 16:29 »

Quote from: Jeridus
I live near Toronto... so, between hipsters, emo kids, and rap-fans... I'm losing my mind.

Everything seems to be an assault on my musical senses... I'm not sure which of the three are worse... the glaring hipsters, the omni-whining emokids, or the bling-blinging rapsters

Hahaha, the ONLY place I see hipsters is shows and Bathurst Station. Seriously. And my friends keep calling me a hipster, and I keep telling them to shut up. However, you are correct about the emo kids and rap fans *shudder* THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! SEND HELP!

Kelamin

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #95 on: 06 Jun 2005, 16:30 »

It's always been cool to hate the spice girls
"I miss you cupcake"

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #96 on: 06 Jun 2005, 16:32 »

What? That's a dirty lie and you know it!

Ok, this is the fucking silliest thread ever. ARG.

Jeridus

« Reply #97 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:47 »

It would seem that just about every emo band out there gets made fun of (by everyone but the emo kids)... they seem to have very polarizing styles...

Me, I don't mind them too much... it's the whining fans that I hate... and the fact that you can't differentiate the chicks from the duded *shudder*... I recently went to an Underoath concert (I got free tickets... don't worry)... and it was actually cool cause you could stage dive and everything... it's just the screaming fifteen year old girls at the foot of the stage weren't very good at catching me and my 190 lbs, and I kept flattening them. Now, that (the fact that the concert ITSELF was fun) being said, I severely wanted to maim nearly all of the fans... especially the "hardcore dancers"...

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #98 on: 07 Jun 2005, 19:16 »

God I hate those guys that dance like that. I mean, it is funny, but really... Oh well, at least they almost never go to proper hardcore gigs.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #99 on: 07 Jun 2005, 21:03 »

Haha, I think my friend summed it up best whne she described hardcore dancing as "resembling a pidgeon trying to take off and failing".

I hate hardcore music....passionately.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up