THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 May 2024, 11:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make Believe  (Read 9446 times)

Mnementh

Make Believe
« on: 11 May 2005, 11:10 »

So I bought this album, yes bought, the day it came out.  Now, I'm on a bit of a Weezer kick since I saw them on Sunday.

I like old school weezer better, the Blue album and Pinkerton are tied for my favourite, it depends on my mood.

I know Make Believe is getting panned, and when I first listened to it my thoughts were "I hope they're being ironic by trying to sound like A Flock of Seagulls, but maybe someone should tell them that irony is so 2004"

I've listened to it five or six times all the way through now, and it's growing on me.  Certainly not on a Blue Album or Pinkteron level, but it's probably beating the Green Album and Maledroit, at least in terms of individual songs I like.

Thoughts?

Mnementh

Make Believe
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 11:30 »

Yeah, Beverly Hills sucks.  It's the first track so it's pretty easy to skip, thankfully.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Make Believe
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2005, 11:35 »

Hmm, is it worth the purchase?

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Make Believe
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2005, 15:26 »

i have severe loyal fan syndrome.  i would buy it if it was sheisty space jazz.  
beverly hills annoys me.  i've heard the other songs are better, but even if they're not...i'm putting $15 aside as weezer money anyway.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Hoborg

Make Believe
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2005, 18:05 »

I've never heard this incarnation of kinsella, nor have i heard joan of arc or cap'n jazz, but I loved Owls, so I'm going to see them tomorrow night and hope its just as good.

David

Make Believe
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2005, 21:48 »

Quote from: Hoborg
...nor have i heard joan of arc or cap'n jazz...

Blasphemy!

Also I haven't even heard "Beverly Hills" yet. I'm almost scared to, to be honest. Out of all the reviews I've read, only one gave it a good score, and the dude basically had a huge hard-on for Weezer.

emor

Make Believe
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 00:19 »

I listened to it, and my verdict is boring rock hell.  Then again, I've never been a big Weezer fan.

Faker

• Furry furrier
Make Believe
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2005, 01:06 »

Actually listening to it at the moment, and have to say it's a grower...
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Tinjessla

Make Believe
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2005, 06:25 »

I dont know. I'm a Weezer fan but man...Beverly Hills hasn't done much to convince me to get their new album. I'm not even sure my crazed fandom will make me buy it (or fork out £23 for gig tickets). Thats the sheer power of crappiness Beverly Hills contains.

Damniel

Make Believe
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 11:24 »

that irony is so 2004

irony is timeless...as is sarcasm...n00b...lol sorry...yeah weezer..."oooh oooh yeah i'm just like buddy holly"

Keith Decent

Make Believe
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2005, 12:07 »

I already summed up how I felt in a review:

http://www.half-decent.com/music

but I thought the only two songs worth a damn on it were Other Way, and  I even feel guilty about that, and Freak Me Out, because it sounds nothing like the rest of the awful album.

Blue<Pinkerton>Green>Maladroit>Make Believe

it's not getting any better.

Hoborg

Make Believe
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2005, 15:30 »

Oh, you were talking about Weezer.

I thought this was about the new Tim Kinsella band, Make Believe. I was all "err.. why are people comparing this to Weezer?"

I am pretty slow.

David

Make Believe
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2005, 18:01 »

Tim Kinsella has a new band? Shit. You're not the only one who is slow.

Really though, go listen to Cap'n Jazz. It's amazing stuff.

zekterellium

Make Believe
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2005, 13:51 »

aww, i though maladroit was weezers best. the new one i don't like at all, god damn it. how did it get to this stage?

yipjumpmusic

Make Believe
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2005, 14:02 »

No more gas.

DonkeyPirate

Make Believe
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2005, 18:14 »

I've been listenin to Weezer for a while.  Make Believe is a good album.  I actually like Beverly Hills.  Its got a catchy "we will rock you" beat behind it.  lyrics are kinda lame but its good.  maladroit only had like 1 good song on it.  mb only has a couple of songs i dont like.  i dont like freak me out because its about him being scared by a spider and offering to buy it a drink.  other than that its a good cd.  its definitely better than green, about on par with blue, pinkerton is still the best

Mnementh

Make Believe
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2005, 18:48 »

I don't think this is on par with Pinkerton, but when that first came out fans and critics alike panned it, myself included.  It grew on me.

DonkeyPirate

Make Believe
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2005, 20:10 »

hopefully this one grows on you too.  i like it :)

zekterellium

Make Believe
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2005, 07:33 »

dudes, i can't believe what i'm reading. every song on maladroit is catchy and fun and awesome. how the hell can anyone hate it?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Make Believe
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2005, 09:10 »

Easily.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Revenge_Therapist

Make Believe
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2005, 09:54 »

I dunno doesn't Weezer to me just doesn't seem to interested in making very original music. Which is not a crime. I just don't care to listen. I love theri first two albums, they seemed much more into it than they do now. Right now they are playing whatever music grabbed their fancy between albums, and albiet derivitve it is at least fun.

Mnementh

Make Believe
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2005, 10:07 »

Quote from: James
WATCH THIS SPACE.

Chinese Democracy?

Mnementh

Make Believe
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2005, 11:50 »

WOO DUKE NUKEM 4EVAR

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Make Believe
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2005, 15:16 »

Yeah, i have a lot of friends who say the new weezer album sucks based off Beverly hills, and i always have to explain that the rest of teh songs are good, except for "best friend" its too sugary sweet for me.

SeanBateman

Make Believe
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:19 »

beverly Hills is prety abysmal, but that's been established already.
I like the rest of the album pretty well, I think. The only song that actually sticks out in my mind at this point is We Are All On Drugs, but I always find myself doing my best to sing along when I play it. It's not their best, but it's not their worst.

Deadpan

Make Believe
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jun 2005, 14:00 »

This is a question I have to ask:

Does Beverly Hills remind anyone else of Britney Spears' cover of I Love Rock and Roll? It's really bugged me, everytime I've heard the song.

Merkava

Make Believe
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2005, 14:01 »

It reminds me of a particularly jagged and painful dump I took the day before.

DonkeyPirate

Make Believe
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2005, 16:45 »

on the subject of sounding like britany spears. no no no no no.  even the origional has that exact same rhythm line.  it is the same as queen's we will rock you.  that song is made to be a gimmick with a peter framton solo.

fl0werp0wer

Make Believe
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jun 2005, 21:14 »

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cause a few catastrophic riots when I say this, but I actually don't think that Beverly Hills isn't that bad of a song. It's not great, like Blue Album material. Just not that bad. Although, I hated it with a passion at first.

Besides the song "The Other Way" and "Beverly Hills", none of the other songs strike out to me. Uncreative, cliched lyrics. Not particularly striking melodies (besides "This is Such a Pity").

I see my post is late by about a month.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Make Believe
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2005, 21:37 »

Quote from: fl0werp0wer
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cause a few catastrophic riots when I say this, but I actually don't think that Beverly Hills isn't that bad of a song.

Soooo...you do think it's that bad of a song?  

Double Negative goodness! woot! :)

For the record, I haven't heard the new one yet, but just based on what I've been hearing from Weezer since about the Green Album, I don't necessarily think their stuff is terrible or anything.  I think they just wanna make big rockstar hero music, something that I'm not really interested in anymore.

Korlin

Make Believe
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:17 »

From what I heard from the free MySpace preview, it didn't strike me as utterly horrible, but not much removed from the two that came before it. Some alright, a couple of good tracks, some not-so-great. I think Beverly Hills is definitely a poor song, but I can understand a bit why Rivers wrote it I think. I will probably buy it after I get the expanded edition of the Blue Album

I dream of an alternate world where Pinkerton was a success and Rivers continued in that direction and conquered everyone. Damn the world.

Seeing them tomorrow which oughta be good, especially as I have heard they're playing a decent selection of stuff from Blue and Pink. And who knows if or when they'll be back again?

JJMitchell

Make Believe
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:35 »

I'm no music expert but We are all on drugs is a great song.

Beverly Hills is catchy (at least I think so) but not what I would consider a great song by any stretch of the imagination.

fl0werp0wer

Make Believe
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:27 »

Quote from: JLM
Quote from: fl0werp0wer
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cause a few catastrophic riots when I say this, but I actually don't think that Beverly Hills isn't that bad of a song.

Soooo...you do think it's that bad of a song?  

Double Negative goodness! woot! :)

Heh. Sorry. I tend to do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up