THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 May 2024, 13:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Artist Discovery?  (Read 10122 times)

soak

Favourite Artist Discovery?
« on: 04 Sep 2005, 19:41 »

I'm always interested in how people discovered their favourite artists.

Personally I discovered the Pixies when I brought the Fight Club DVD and heard 'Where is my mind?' in the closing credits, it just blew me away and they have been my favourite band ever since.

Any one else?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2005, 19:54 »

Back in my punk days, I downloaded Interpol on the basis that the name sounded like a techno group. (I was into cheesy techno.) I wound up getting blown away.

Shortly after that, I accidentally borrowed Yankee Hotel Foxtrot from the library, about two years ago, not knowing what it was or what it would sound like. Little did I know the answer was "awesome."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

practicality

« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2005, 19:59 »

Right now, my music comes from my over-50 dad. He's introduced me to all the music I listen to. Before I got a computer and iTunes, it was only Sarah Brightman and an Eiffel 65 CD.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:04 »

I guess I've discovered quite a bit just from taking chances on CDs that I've heard about, or downloading the odd random song that I've spotted on a forum or something. A lot of stuff from my dad also (including the Pixies!).

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:07 »

Mine's pretty unromantic.  I was just flipping though the new releases section of Pal Mailorder (R.I.P.) and liked the description of Genealogies by the Secret Stars, so  I ordered it with a bunch of other stuff.  The other stuff didn't get listened to for a long time.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:08 »

Having discovered Finntroll through recommendations, and after downloading and hugely enjoying all their albums, I decided to search for more music in a similiar vein. Amazon led me to Borknagar and Asmegin, whilst google, in it's infinite wisdom, suggested Skyclad. I downloaded some Skyclad off of DC++, just some random tracks. Getting into them took me ages. It was too different, at first. But then I realised how catchy 'When God Logs Off' was, and how good the lyrics were. I read their lyrics. Found they were incredible. Downloaded more songs based on which had the best lyrics. Ended up with all their stuff. Despite my best efforts I've only managed to buy a single album. Fucking obscurity. I think they REALLY started to click for me as my favourite band around february of this year though, and this is I think to do with me slowly developing a generally pagan worldview over this period, which of course makes Skyclad a whole load more relevant. I also started developing a strong emotional attachment to songs such as 'Penny Dreadful', 'Helium', 'Fainting by Numbers' and so forth.

What an unimaginably awesome band. Finding someone else who's a fan always warms the cockles of my heart, and it's a relatively rare thing, even amongst metalheads. I keep trying to introduce people to them and are not often successful. This makes me really sad sometime. I genuinely wish they had any sort of popularity. They'd do things like tour then.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Schmendrick

« Reply #6 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:29 »

When I was around twelve or thirteen I pretty much only listened to Weezer and The Barenaked Ladies. My brother, who is seven years older than me, was not a fan of my music taste. He would play Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd for me whenever we were driving around in the car and then would leave his whole cd case in the car for me 'by accident'. It got me into some really awesome stuff that I still adore and respect today. I have a good brother.

Also when I was around three or so my sister, who is nine years older, would put on Nirvana and teach me how to head bang and mosh. I would mosh in my car seat and sing/scream along.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #7 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:50 »

I'm really proud of discovering Korpiklaani by meself. it's too fun of a band to hate :D
also israel

soak

« Reply #8 on: 04 Sep 2005, 21:10 »

I tried desperately to be the cool older brother with my little sister, but it never happened.

No one else in my family has any taste in music, case in point my Dad's favourite artists are Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys and East 17 (no I do not have two dads!).

La Creme

« Reply #9 on: 04 Sep 2005, 22:20 »

Eels: In late 6th grade, after a long night of singing the Tenacious D CD, Keiffer rolling around in a sleeping bag and saying "I'm like a steamroller, only jewish", and my friend's sister bitching at us from downstairs, Keiffer decided to put on the Eels' "I Like Birds". I was blown away. Later that month, I went to a store and bought "Beautiful Freak". From there, my love for Eels grew. To this day I am a huge fan.

Liquid Tension Experiment: Whilst walking about at jazz camp with "friends", (people of equal playing level; anyone better than you wanted nothing to do with you, and you wanted nothing to do with people worse than you) we were trying to out-band one another. I won the indie with a sharp Sugarplastic to the face. But when we entered into prog territory, I was quite knocked-on-my-ass (at this point, the only prog I listened to was ELP, Symphony X, The Moody Blues, and Renaissance). One guy mentioned LTE and said they were the best band to play with distortion and without a singer in the history of rock and roll. I figured they were worth a check out.

After jazz camp and nearing school, I ran into my actual friend Oliver from camp at Amoeba records. Whilst searching the Tom Waits used CD's, Oliver came up to me and said "I found the last LTE cd." and I thought "shite". Turned out Oliver and me were going to school together though, and in a trade for loaning him the first Sandman graphic novel, he burned me a copy of the first LTE cd. Three songs on it are now amongst the 25 most listened to of mine and have been since I got the CD.

Jimi Hendrix: The first concious memory I have of really getting into Jimi was when I was playing guitar in my room recently after I had gotten my DD-6. I was doing a lot of echoey stuff with the Wah, and my dad came in and said "Are you playing '1983...' by Jimi?" and I said no. He played it for me and my love for Jimi (which was already existent but only in the form of liking a couple popular cuts off 'Are You Experienced?') increased ten-fold. Jimi is now one of my several guitar heroes.

Mr. Bungle: I found out about Bungle shortly after listening to GWAR for the first time. I never really bothered to check them out, but their name stayed a lurkin' in my subconcious. About two years later, my brother's saying to me "You gotta check out this band Mr. Bungle. They're like GWAR, but with a clown gimmick!" Although he was totally wrong, I listened to some samples, decided I liked it, and vowed to buy a CD later.
A few months passed, and my friend Jordy kept going up to me at school and saying "I was lookin' atchoo while you was lookin' at me..." in a very Brando voice. I asked him after the 10th or 11th time what the fuck it was all about. He played me 'Egg', then 'Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy', and finally 'Carousel'. It was then that I fell in love.
DISCLAIMER: I still assumed my brother was right about the clown gimmick after these three songs, but to any of you who are wanting to check out Bungle in the future, they are not a band about clowns. So don't make that assumption.

The Sugarplastic: My brother's friend Dustin was over, and I kept hearing stomping coming from his room. I went in and found that they were both sitting, my brother drawing, and Dustin reading, stomping their feet along to 'Ottowa Bonesaw'. I asked Dustin what it was and he said "Damn good". Later that week, he burned "Radio Jejune" for my brother and within a day, I had burned a copy of his and knew every note of every song.

There, 5 of my favorite band, and how I got introduced to them, in a nutshell.

Luke

« Reply #10 on: 04 Sep 2005, 23:10 »

I discovered McLusky through what was my forum rank title for many, many weeks. Thanks Jeph!

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 05 Sep 2005, 00:54 »

Shins, Interpol and Pavement.
Three favourite bands.

Shins was actually a recommendation from a very very very good friend of mine who had a big influence on my musical tastes, i bought their first album on a whim and after about a week i was hooked and blown away, i bought Chutes Too Narrow soon after and it took me a while to come around (because i loved OH inverted world so much) but i eventually loved it.

Interpol, i bought antics on an absolute whim, one day after work i was in a CD store and i came across Antics. I had already seen PDA and Slow Hands on the telly before and i knew they were a great band, i bought Antics, and downloaded TOTBL and i love them both, although i think their sound has matured onto Antics.

Pavement, i downloaded Slanted and Enchanted one night and i thought "this sucks" then after listening to the whole thing, i lost my shit and was blown away. Soon after i bough, Terror Twilight, Wowwee Zowwee and Crooked Rain.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

.Kate.

« Reply #12 on: 05 Sep 2005, 07:34 »

for me it's mostly going to shows and though my friends...sometimes I find some alright bands in AP or Spin.

Merkava

« Reply #13 on: 05 Sep 2005, 08:33 »

I thank my sister, my dad, Rhapsody, and AMG for all of my discoveries. All of these together allowed me to become an Indie-loser in just 2 years. XP

StrikeThePostman

« Reply #14 on: 05 Sep 2005, 10:49 »

I have no memory of how I got into Built to Spill, which sucks because I can usually remember how I found things.  I think I probably found the Flaming Lips when I was reading up on how Beck (who was my favourite artist at that time) was touring with them.

Talking Heads is an easy one though.  My parents were playing Stop Making Sense and I thought it was weird at first but eventually loved it.

Merkava

« Reply #15 on: 05 Sep 2005, 10:53 »

My dad and sister always played The Talking Heads around the house. That dramatically changed my perception on lead vocals. I prefer trebely, wobbly vocals...unless it's Conor Oberst. He sucks. :P

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #16 on: 05 Sep 2005, 11:20 »

North of America, hands down, because this band basically made me listen to bands like Pavement, Shellac, June of 44 and so on.
Also, the way I discovered them was nice: I saw a video on now dead alternative music video station (yes, we actually had that for some time, it was awesome). But even there, there odds of seeing a NoA video were slim. I liked it and remember the name but couldn't find any of their CDs. Then, about 2 years later, I saw one of their CDs in a store and decided to buy it. It turned out to be their worst album too, but it was good enough to make me buy the other albums and see them live (about that time, they were also touring Germany). Hooray!

SeanBateman

« Reply #17 on: 05 Sep 2005, 12:36 »

My godfather sent me Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Ryan Adam's-Gold, and the eels-Souljacker for my 13th birthday. Those are now my 3 favorite bands.

eepedeep

« Reply #18 on: 05 Sep 2005, 13:52 »

AC Newman from Jeph

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 05 Sep 2005, 14:56 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Ended up with all their stuff. Despite my best efforts I've only managed to buy a single album. Fucking obscurity.

I checked them out in a Virgin one day (i think it was the big on in Picadilly Circus) and they had 6 different albums from Skyclad...
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Tinjessla

« Reply #20 on: 05 Sep 2005, 15:04 »

Both Radiohead and The Smashing Pumpkins i discovered after seeing music videos for Paranoid Android and Tonight, Tonight. After a spending spree on Amazon, they worked thier way into my favourites and stayed there.

I remember listening to Bjork for as long as i can remember and i fell in love with the Pixies after finally giving in to my best friends fangirl gushing. Ah and The Flaming Lips were discovered after listening to my Dad's copy of YBTPR and subsequently becoming obsessed. Seeing them live clinched it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #21 on: 05 Sep 2005, 15:16 »

Most of my favourite bands were introduced to me by my good friend some 2 to 3 years ago, and then I kinda just took it from there. I remember hearing Goddamnit by Alkaline Trio through her headphones at her house during a particularly uneventful highschool lunchtime.

I like the way I got into Death Cab and Mogwai. I was randomly talking to a friend of a friend via msn (who ended to be a huge crush of mine about 4 months later) and he sent me the song Coney Island.

I discovered Mogwai by accident however. I downloaded a couple of their songs because I thought they were an electronica band (this was like 3 years ago). I didn't listen to those songs for roughly a month, but when I did I was floored. Good times.
I like the way you work it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #22 on: 05 Sep 2005, 15:19 »

Quote from: loyalpeon

I checked them out in a Virgin one day (i think it was the big on in Picadilly Circus) and they had 6 different albums from Skyclad...

And I live on the Isle of Wight...

Besides, three of those would have been No Daylights or Heeltaps and A Semblance of Normality (which are with the new lineup and inferior) and Folkemon (which I own). two of the others would have been Another Fine Mess (which is just a live album) and History Lessens (their best of) the other one would be what I'm after (If, of course, it wasn't the 'Swords of A Thousand Men' single). I've never even seen any of their albums before they moved to Demolition on sale, I'm pretty sure they're out of print.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #23 on: 05 Sep 2005, 16:24 »

Frank Zappa: My dad was a hugeass Zappa fan, and pretty much got me into him after buying me Apostrophe on my... 12th birthday? I dunno. So much stuff has pretty much just spiraled from that.

The Dead Kennedys, Screeching Weasel, THe Misfits, Mr. Bungle, Primus and GWAR I all kinda found out from a good friend of mine (Whom I've since lost contact with; stupid internets). Wish I could thank her.

Alot of the bands I've found out about have been from looking up information about the bands I already know about; wikipedia is great for this. Most of the artists I listen to are discovered this way; Beefheart, The Residents, Buckthead, etc.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #24 on: 05 Sep 2005, 17:15 »

Falconer! Falconer, falconer, falconer.

hell yes.
also israel

Micolithe

« Reply #25 on: 05 Sep 2005, 18:46 »

The Super Furry Animals were playing a concert that someone on the VG Cats forums went to. They posted the Set list and I decided to look into some of the bands.

Iamlove

« Reply #26 on: 05 Sep 2005, 20:10 »

I bought You Forgot It In People by Broken Social Scene for two reasons: #1. Jeph recomended it, and He has impeccable taste. Second, I heard 'almost crimes' on a mix a friend was playing. I almost cried that song was so awesome.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #27 on: 05 Sep 2005, 22:13 »

I'm really proud of discovering Korpiklaani by meself. it's too fun of a band to hate :D
Me too!

A lot of bands I discovered on the forum for my original favorite metal band, extol, which I discovered by a random internet search for christian death metal. that forum turned me on to Opeth, Emperor, My Dying Bride, and so many more of my favorites.

Probably my very favorite band though is Virgin Black and I discovered them about 3 years ago when a not very metal friend of mine lent me the CD. He's really more into classical and prog, and he admitted it was darker and heavier than anything else he listens to, but it was still amazing. I turned it on and it felt like I had come home. That sounds cheesy, but I don't really care. It's a perfect blend of metal, opera and neoclassical darkwave, and immediately became my favorite band.

tails

« Reply #28 on: 05 Sep 2005, 23:00 »

found out flaming lips from a physic's student's shirt!

bought television's marquee moon cos they looked like zombies

beckrokk

« Reply #29 on: 06 Sep 2005, 00:26 »

Back in the day when I used KaZaA (don't worry, I'm fully legit now), I got bored and started to look for the Tron soundtrack for no particular reason. What I came upon was the song Mu-Tron by Ladytron. I've been in love with them ever since. I'm kind of disappointed their new album is more rock than synth, though. :/

Last year, I was showing my dad the best ways to use the internet, and in a sudden flash, he wanted to know if there was some website that could rate a person's karma. He typed Instant Karma into Google, and what came out was a site for a UK-based record company by that name. We listened to the free samples of a few different bands, and that is how I discovered I, Monster. I ordered the CD through a local record store last year, and just got it less than a week ago. I know imports take a little while but I had no idea it would take THAT long.

Otherwise, I've gotten most of my favorite bands from my dad. From Devo, Talking Heads, Big Audio Dynamite, X, and the Pixies to different obscoure bluegrass tunes and a large selection of jazz, blues, and standards from my grandfather.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #30 on: 06 Sep 2005, 10:52 »

Quote from: tails

That's the awesomest thing I've ever read. Mmmmm, physics + zombies.
I like the way you work it.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #31 on: 06 Sep 2005, 11:57 »

Crüxshadows is my favourite of the moment. was wasting my time at dragoncon this past weekend in atlanta between the last panel and the dj sets at two-thirty that i wanted to go listen to (shit, btw) and decided i could go watch funny goth people stand around and glare at each other. actually, when i got in the room, the concert was just starting (lights were going down) and then, out of the darkness, this awesome violin... that boy can sing, too. tres bien +++.

other than that, hmm... code atom is a local band in atlanta, i heard of them through a friend and didn't listen to any music and then they played a couple of concerts at georgia tech, and i became big fan.
simon and garfunkle, no idea, i just happened to hear sound of silence one day and fall in love with it. i like the song, really, more than the duo, but whatever, it counts.
the beatles: durr, it was like "here, snookums, have some mashed carrots and ickle mother superior" etc etc.
interpol: discovered whilst raping a friend's hard drive for good music and he wanted to play that for my friend theresa (she lives in ulm! funfun place). heard it and was like "shit. want. more.".
favourite electronica (djs): ian lesperanz, nickd, afterthought. oakie is good, tiësto is better, and sasha sucks live (soo pissed when he plays a set).

maybe will post more when Deception stops running through my head and i can think again...

edit: cxs ^^ has songs about zombies!!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

toastyghost

« Reply #32 on: 06 Sep 2005, 12:17 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
Quote from: tails

That's the awesomest thing I've ever read. Mmmmm, physics + zombies.

Seemingly the ingredients for the perfect videogame.

The other day I realised how in love with the American Analog Set I actually am. I discovered them entirely by accident; I went through a bit of a wander on Amazon.com's 'People who bought this also bought:' links from some electronica (Dntel I believe) and came across Her Space Holiday. I ended up buying a lot of stuff by them and happened to pick up that Updates CD. Both HSH and Amanset are barely out of my playlist now.

Mogwai I found by picking up EP+6 because I liked the title and cover art. I used to talk to a guy who owned a record store in my spare time, and he led me to many impulse buys. That was probably the best.

The rest of my most loved music I either found by rummaging through the vinyl thats scattered around my house or by browsing Jeph's recommended listening page. Can't thank you enough for making that, except now I have to find a way to see the Album Leaf at some point.

spizzletrunk

« Reply #33 on: 06 Sep 2005, 13:01 »

There's a myriad of 'em, really.  Most recently I discovered Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band.  My friend Seth had come over to my house with his brother Alex, and we were talking quietly in the living room for a few minutes.  Then he had to go.  So they went outside and I decided I'd check my e-mail for the day.  Seth walked into the kitchen (long after I'd assumed them gone) and dropped a copy of Safe As Milk on the table without saying a word, and walked out.

I've been a changed person since, lemme tell ya.

I've discovered Pavement through random downloads/mix CDs, the Pixies through a covers project on some shitty forum, Mr. Bungle through a college kid I had a crush on when I was like 12, Robert Johnson from my dad's hideously large record collection while I was pretending to be altruistic and alphabetize it for him, a local band called The Puppets after attending my first local show and refusing to admit I liked a local band comprised of idiots from my high school.  Basic stuff.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #34 on: 06 Sep 2005, 17:21 »

That is the best way to get someone into Captain Beefheart! I am so totally going to do that now.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #35 on: 07 Sep 2005, 19:12 »

I found 65daysofstatic rocking a crowd of one drunken guy at Truck Festival in 2003. Then they got a drummer and totally sold out, but not really. The point is, they played play.nice.kids and it was so swell I wet myself all over the floor. For this reason alone Truck Festival is the best music festival ever (Except Dedbeat)

Atmosphere I got into after a friend got as much of the Lucy Ford EPs as would fit on one side of a tape off his cousin (for the record, that means we didn't have The Woman With the Tattoed Hands, which any Atmosphere fan will tell is one of their very, very best. It gained a near mythical status as the magical song we would never hear, but would probobly cure world hunger if we ever did. In the end, we heard it, and world hunger remained. Bummer) Anyway, we broke the tape from playing it too much, and then did the same with the replacement copy we made. It was crazy fresh. Then another friend went to America, and managed to find the actual album on CD in some obscure record shop. Happy days, I tell thee. You had to work for your tunes back then, none of this MP3 malarky. The youth of today, etc, etc.

Josh

« Reply #36 on: 07 Sep 2005, 23:08 »

Finntroll - I just found them on this topic :) Thanks a whole bunch to KharBevNor!

Pavement - Same as above :) Thanks to everyone who mentioned them.

Deerhoof - I think there was a reference to Panda Panda Panda in a comic or a rant somewhere on QC, so I downloaded it and now I love their eccentric stlye :) Sometimes its gets a bit excessive, like in My Pal Foot Foot, but Come See The Duck is awesome.

Broken Social Scene - I read something about them in a rant, Lover's Spit in particular, and like Deerhoof, I love them now :)

Interpol - Ultra thanks to GebStar! Thanks man!

All up, thanks QC!!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #37 on: 07 Sep 2005, 23:47 »

Ugh.  "Favourites".  I hate saying so-and-so is my favourite band or performer or writer or whatever . . . but on the other hand I can't be bothered now listing several dozen explanations of how I got into various bands/songwriters.

So I'll tell you a really boring story about how I found out about Darren Hanlon.  He's been pretty much my favourite for the last year or so.  It was shortly after I moved into Fitzroy, in Melbourne, last year, and I was browsing in Polyester Records (an awesome record shop in the heart of Fitzroy).  They were playing Hanlon's latest release, Little Chills, over the store's speaker-system.  It was right at the end of the album, around "Brooklyn Bridge".  I always keep an ear out for great lyric-writing (hence my love of Ira Gershwin - see if you can spot the reference in the first paragraph!), so when I heard Hanlon rhyme "Manhattan" with "that'n", I was a goner.

TheLoweringTide

« Reply #38 on: 08 Sep 2005, 01:30 »

Does anyone remember the period during which Alternative Press magazine didn't completely suck?  They used to actually cover and review a decent cross-section of the musical spectrum from indie rock to experimental electronica.  Of course now they pretty much just devote entire issues to the pop-punk flavor of the week, but there was a better time...

During that time, I read a review of godspeed you black emperor's "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven."  It got a perfect 5/5 rating, contained words like "beautiful" and "haunting", and was accompanied by an intriguingly out-of-focus silhouette of the band performing.  My interest was piqued.  I bought the CD.  I fell in love.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #39 on: 08 Sep 2005, 03:45 »

Quote from: Josh
Finntroll - I just found them on this topic :) Thanks a whole bunch to KharBevNor!

I suggested 'em to Khar a while before he ever bothered ter listen to them. 'Course, that was a different time back then, when few had faith in me.

Anyway, if you like Finntroll may I suggest Equilibrium, Vintersorg and Midnattsol.
also israel

Josh

« Reply #40 on: 08 Sep 2005, 04:21 »

Heh those bands look great, although it would help if I could read Danish or German or whatever the languages are :P

jarofflies

« Reply #41 on: 10 Sep 2005, 21:03 »

About a year and a half ago one of my older sisters gave me her old cassette tape collection. I went through it and listened to it. Some was good, some was bad. One of the mix tapes in there stood out to me though, the first two tracks in particular. Those were Stone Temple Pilots 'Interstate Love Song', 'Creep', and 'Pretty Penny'. I became an STP fanatic. From there I began discovering more and more bands from the early STP era(I also like late stp, but back then I liked early more). Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc. I never liked Nirvana though. From these bands I began discovering even more branches. I also started getting suggestions from others. From an internet friend of mine I found Dispatch, State Radio, and The Southland. From a real life friend I found The Hives and Dresden Dolls. A surprisingly low number of bands I like came from music videos and radio(which i hate). Seether, Shinedown, and Fuel are the only ones I can think of.

My tastes came from branching off of 90's rock.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #42 on: 10 Sep 2005, 21:25 »

I suggested 'em to Khar a while before he ever bothered ter listen to them. 'Course, that was a different time back then, when few had faith in me.

Dude, no-one has faith in you nowadays. Especially not those children you beat to death with a brick and buried under your patio. I have tried to explain this before.

Add Ensiferum, Korpiklaani and Waylander to that list. Also, Skyclad, Cruachan and The Lord Wierd Slough Feg, simply because they rock a lot.

Yeah, Troll put me onto FT first, but I never actually checked them out until this other guy I knew said how totally mind-blowing they were.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #43 on: 10 Sep 2005, 21:51 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Dude, no-one has faith in you nowadays. Especially not those children you beat to death with a brick and buried under your patio. I have tried to explain this before.

I had to do that after they threatened to tell on me for the molestation. I'M FREAKING PROTECTING AN INVESTMENT, HERE!
also israel

Kid Modernist

« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2005, 00:14 »

I found Q and not U (which introduced me into the whole "indie" thing) because a friend told me they had one good song and the rest was tweaked. I liked all of it.

e-z0r

« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2005, 08:56 »

Dunno if it's my favourite discovery, but I found Kaizer's Orchestra just yesterday here on the forums. Cool as hell!

But my favourite kinds of discoveries are the ones where you just go to a live show of a band you don't know about and realize it's great. I've had a couple of these.

Also, a cute girl once gave me a mix-CD called Summer of Metal & Rock 2004, and I found Blake through that.

alic3sw0nd3rland

« Reply #46 on: 11 Sep 2005, 14:23 »

The Flaming Lips my brother wanted me to hera Avril lavignes cover of the spongebob theme song on the movie soundtrack (I Hate Spongebob and have for a long time) because he said it was really stupid. So I did than saw The Flaming Lips and it sounded familiar so I listened to it and fell in love. It almost made me forgive spongebob for sucking soo much. After I heard the Flaming Lips I god completely launched into the indie scene before that I was one of those guys that complains that theres no good music anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up