THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 21:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gorillaz - Dare  (Read 7693 times)

John Of Snark

Gorillaz - Dare
« on: 05 Sep 2005, 10:59 »

I first saw this song on TMF, i thought the music video was very good, but i blame this on alot of anime infuences i have had in my life.
The attual song annoyed me at first, most of it is ok but the big head guy (the male voise in there) is overdone i thought. but then after it being on the radio alot ( i dont listen to the radio normally, but at work its always on ) it has grown on me.

am i alone?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #1 on: 05 Sep 2005, 11:11 »

Yes.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

SeanBateman

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2005, 12:31 »

I own all the Gorillaz albums and I have NO idea what you are talking about.

MysteriumTremendum

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2005, 15:37 »

I like it...of course I'm biased because Shaun Ryder is a god (albeit a drug-addled and alcohol-soaked one), Demon Days is better than Gorillas too. Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head is genius.

Maui

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2005, 17:18 »

I own all the Gorillaz albums and I have NO idea what you are talking about.

Second'd.

Garcin

Re: Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2005, 17:42 »

Quote from: John Of Snark

The attual song annoyed me at first, most of it is ok but the big head guy (the male voise in there) is overdone i thought. but then after it being on the radio alot ( i dont listen to the radio normally, but at work its always on ) it has grown on me.
am i alone?

Yes.  You are alone.  For those allergic to Damon Albarn's hobbies, the DARE video features the animated Gorillaz lead vocalist 2D, voiced by Albarn with his testicles in some manner of vise, prancing around the giant, disembodied, mechanically articulated head of Shaun Ryder from Happy Mondays.  Ryder chants the chorus.  OP, who apparently believes that Albarn is a woman, felt that the chorus was overdone.  In fact it was not overdone -- because it was the chorus.

soak

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2005, 20:18 »

Its not 2D! Its Noodles. It is a bit harder to tell on the videos from this album, but thats definately Noodles.

Garcin

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #7 on: 05 Sep 2005, 20:35 »

Oh good lord it is Noodles.  Apparently she hit her growth spurt, and was never visited by the boob fairy.  How sad.  I was a bit confused, because it is Albarn doing the voice, and I think that the Cibo Matto singer did Noodles' voices in the previous album.  That's freakin' hilarious.

Threatis

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #8 on: 05 Sep 2005, 20:40 »

Quote from: Moiche
Oh good lord it is Noodles.  Apparently she hit her growth spurt, and was never visited by the boob fairy.  How sad.  I was a bit confused, because it is Albarn doing the voice, and I think that the Cibo Matto singer did Noodles' voices in the previous album.  That's freakin' hilarious.

wrong, it's the girl from Cibo Matto doing the lyrics.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #9 on: 05 Sep 2005, 20:58 »

It's a combination of the chick from Cibo Matto, Sean Ryder and Albarn (although all Albarn is doing is the "It's comin' up. It's dare")
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

soak

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #10 on: 05 Sep 2005, 21:17 »

The character dancing around Sean Ryder's head is Noodles. She has eyeballs (as opposed to 2D).

Garcin

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #11 on: 05 Sep 2005, 21:27 »

Yes, the character is Noodle.  But the falsetto/lead vocalist is Albarn.  Miho Hatori (the chick from Cibo Matto) wasn't involved with Demon Days.  There is a woman's voice on that track, but it's not Hatori, it's Rosie Wilson -- who does background vocals. (The "oooooh").

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #12 on: 05 Sep 2005, 22:14 »

Album credits here. Also the end of the video is awesome.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Vertical Stripes

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #13 on: 05 Sep 2005, 23:58 »

Silly people!  Her name is Noodle, not Noodles.  It was because when she first "joined the band" it was the only word she could say.  

>_>  <_<  *cough*

And I really like Dare.  The first time I saw the music video, I was in Wellington, NZ, so I have fond memories of it.

MysteriumTremendum

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #14 on: 06 Sep 2005, 03:47 »

Quote from: ForteBass
...(although all Albarn is doing is the "It's comin' up. It's dare")

That's Ryder's part...

Spirit Stereo

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #15 on: 06 Sep 2005, 13:22 »

I love the song to no end, though I'd be surprised if it was a hit (although Feel Good was, so who knows?).

I don't like how the new videos have real people in them, though.  I liked it better when Del was just possessing Russel's body.  I suppose he can't always be possessed by different people, but at least a cartoon represenation of the guests would be cool.

MysteriumTremendum

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #16 on: 06 Sep 2005, 16:41 »

It'll probably make the Top 20 in the UK (if it hasn't already?), people are lapping it up over here.

Garcin

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #17 on: 06 Sep 2005, 16:55 »

Heh.  On Sunday, Dare was topping the UK singles charts.  And yes, it is incredibly hilarious that the last time Albarn's "serious" music was a hit was in 1994.  Albarn will be forever known in the States for Song 2, just the same way Alec McGuinness will be forever known as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Spirit Stereo

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #18 on: 06 Sep 2005, 17:22 »

Yeah, it definitely topped the British charts already.

But it's a very Euro song.  I'd be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if it was a hit here.

Simulacra

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #19 on: 06 Sep 2005, 22:53 »

Quote from: Vertical Stripes
Silly people!  Her name is Noodle, not Noodles.  It was because when she first "joined the band" it was the only word she could say.  

>_>  <_<  *cough*

And I really like Dare.  The first time I saw the music video, I was in Wellington, NZ, so I have fond memories of it.

dear god vert, where the hell have you been? we missed ya around here.  also i have to bow to a superior fan.  your knowledge of one of my favorite "groups" is stunning to say the least.

Tinjessla

Gorillaz - Dare
« Reply #20 on: 07 Sep 2005, 05:40 »

I love the whole winding story of 2-D and Murdoc. It's hard to imagine 2-D as a mild mannered keyboard salesman and Murdoc having to do community service. Well, the last one isn't that hard to believe really.
Pages: [1]   Go Up