Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: V  (Read 18833 times)

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
V
« Reply #50 on: 28 Mar 2006, 02:53 »

Quote from: jariku
For the dissidents among you, here's a website about the anarchist ideas in V for Vendetta and how they're portrayed in the movie.

http://www.aforanarchy.com/

Nothing much content-wise yet, but hopefully there'll be regular updates now that the movie is out and about.

What's the world coming to, when the anarchists are this organised?
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Sideways

V
« Reply #51 on: 28 Mar 2006, 14:34 »

Quote from: Leonidas
There are parallels with Hitler in terms of the rallies, the symbolism, the hatred of "inferior" peoples, and obviously the concentration camps. However, when you are dealing with the manipulation of the public through the media, the use of fear as a political tool, and the corruption at the highest level of government in order to gain more and more power, then the parralels are very much with Bush and Bliar.

Must.... restrain.... self.....

I don't know if this has already been addressed, but:

"The manipulation of the public through the media, the use of fear as a political tool and the corruption at the highest level of government in order to gain more and more power" is more of a parallel with BUSH AND BLAIR than it is with HITLER?!?!!?

Someone seriously needs to re-read their German history from about 1924-1938.  Seriously.  If you don't think Hitler fearmongered, manipulated media and exploited government corruption to get into the position he held... then you're simply quite ignorant of historical facts.

I certainly am not one to defend Bush, but what Bush has done in no way compares to what Hitler did.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
V
« Reply #52 on: 28 Mar 2006, 14:44 »

Are you saying that killing millions of people is worse than getting a country involved in a couple of conflicts that aren't turning out so well?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
V
« Reply #53 on: 28 Mar 2006, 19:44 »

BLASPHEMY
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
V
« Reply #54 on: 28 Mar 2006, 21:44 »

There are definite Bush parallels though. The main one is that the rewriting of Norsefire's rise to power, from taking control after a Nuclear War to gaining control through staged incidents of mass terrorism is a reference to the conspiracy theory that Bush let 9/11 go ahead, if not staging it himself. You could talk about the Reichstag Fire as well, but it's clearly a post 9/11 film. Also, there's the change in style of Prothero from the cool 'voice of fate', to a reactionary tv pundit somewhat in the vain of  Pat Robertson, with his frequent mentions of 'Godlessness' as the reason for the downfall of other nations. The religious aspect is of course mentioned in the Graphic Novel, and is strongly implied with Lilliman, but is not as explicit in the parties propaganda, although the novel does portray a scene indicating that christianity has been thoroughly nazified, absent from the film.

Rather than being about Bush and Blair instead of Hitler, I think it's more trying to draw parallels between various historical events and the events of the film.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
V
« Reply #55 on: 28 Mar 2006, 22:01 »

I think it uses actual news footage at various points and talk about the subway underground colapsing.  For example.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
V
« Reply #56 on: 29 Mar 2006, 12:15 »

Quote from: Sideways
Quote from: Leonidas
There are parallels with Hitler in terms of the rallies, the symbolism, the hatred of "inferior" peoples, and obviously the concentration camps. However, when you are dealing with the manipulation of the public through the media, the use of fear as a political tool, and the corruption at the highest level of government in order to gain more and more power, then the parralels are very much with Bush and Bliar.

Must.... restrain.... self.....

I don't know if this has already been addressed, but:

"The manipulation of the public through the media, the use of fear as a political tool and the corruption at the highest level of government in order to gain more and more power" is more of a parallel with BUSH AND BLAIR than it is with HITLER?!?!!?

Someone seriously needs to re-read their German history from about 1924-1938.  Seriously.  If you don't think Hitler fearmongered, manipulated media and exploited government corruption to get into the position he held... then you're simply quite ignorant of historical facts.

I certainly am not one to defend Bush, but what Bush has done in no way compares to what Hitler did.

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!!!!

:(

Listen sugarplum, I know my history. I have a degree in the bloody subject. Of course hitler used fear and manipulation of the media in order to achieve his position. As has been the way with all political powers to a greater or lesser degree. However, I don't think that that the movie does have a very unique spin on it, being made and released in these times where the powers that be in the West contiune to strip the people of their liberties and freedoms in the name of their own safety. However, it's been perfectly clear the both the UK and the US have used the media to stir up a climate of fear. Fear of terrorism for one thing. This has given them the ability to change our laws and constitutions in order to spy on us, listen in on us, what we do, what we read, what movies we watch, websites we visit....

If you are telling me that all this isn't clear and present as a modern phenomenon (yes, clearly history repeating itself) and as such portrayed in the movie V for Vendetta then you are clearly ignorant yourself.

Either that or a republican.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
V
« Reply #57 on: 31 Mar 2006, 17:14 »

ok, so i have seen the movie and i have read the graphic novel AND i almost have a masters degree in history. just to make all that clear before people start jumping on me.

i loved both the movie and the book and i have to say that, despite what many are saying about the changes made for the movie and blah blah blah the message isn't the same, i thought that the changes made for the movie only helped to make the story better. it fleshed out the characters better. it tied things together much better. it made for a MUCH better reasoning behind the guy fawkes mask. it made for a better "ending".

the book was written in the 80s. if it had not been updated for the film, i don't know if it would have ressonated as much with viewers. certainly there are ties to the current american administration, however you can also find those ties in star wars or lord of the rings or hell, why not find them in josie and the pussycats.
there are also ties to many other things as well...most obviously, the gunpowder plot.

damn...i forget what i was going to say next...perhaps an edit will be in order later...or simply further discussion later on.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
V
« Reply #58 on: 02 Apr 2006, 15:08 »

As many reviewers have pointed out, a bit of cognitive dissonance in both the  graphic novel and the movie is while V fights for either anarchy or democracy, Guy Fawkes desired a Catholic monarchy, certainly not more freedom...

I haven't read the graphic novel, but I am a history undergrad...since credentials seem to be popular now ;)  

I enjoyed the movie, but most of my friends I saw the movie with were unreservedly enthusiastic, throwing around phrases like "one of my favorites of all time." These are all typical Midwestern, upper-middle class, fairly moderate university students.  I've kind of puzzled over why they like it so much more than I did. I was entertained, but somehow relying on all the easy fascist tropes like booted soldiers marching in front of a fist pumping leader on a platform didn't strike me right.  Also, for as much as I despise Bush, the Bush connections seemed clumsy and blatant sometimes.

I guess my friends had never made some of the connections the movie makes about fearmongering, gathering of power, etc. i'm still trying to understand their reactions.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
V
« Reply #59 on: 02 Apr 2006, 18:58 »

Yeah, I'm a little taken aback at the fountain of love one of my friend poured on it. Course, I wasn't taking it ultra seriously in the first place, since I went to see it with a different friend of mine who is so ridicuolous and amazing that you can't take anything seriously with him. Great time.

I thought about seeing it again just for clarity purposes on friday, but I scratched the idea and rented Dr. Strangelove instead.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
V
« Reply #60 on: 06 Apr 2006, 01:35 »

Okay, I saw and loved the movie. A lot. Given that I tend to like modern movies a lot more than older movies - I know, I know, blasphemy - I would have to say it is easily in my top 15 movies of all time.

Part of the reason I think a lot of people end up loving it so much, is that it's really gratifying and enjoyable to watch a movie that gives a voice to what people are feeling, and I feel like this movie definitely did that. It was simultaneously escapist fantasy along with real and political, which is a tough line to toe and I feel respect must be given for that, too.

While in film student, what does this shot mean type film critique, it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen (or even the best movie I've seen in the last two months, Good Night and Good Luck was better on purely film merits). It WAS, however, one of my absolute FAVORITES because, while it didn't make any new points, and sometimes handled its ideas a little clunkily, it made me feel like I wanted to be one of the people in the Guy Fawkes mask as Parliament blew up.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up