THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Jun 2024, 12:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tribute vs Cover  (Read 7489 times)

np96

Tribute vs Cover
« on: 24 Aug 2008, 17:41 »

I always thought that a tribute meant giving your own spin on things and covers were just carbon copies but a friend disagreed. So is there a difference between a tribute and a cover song/band?

the Goat

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is my hobby
Re: Tribute vs Cover
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2008, 18:16 »

I've never heard of a "tribute song". I think the difference between a tribute and a cover band is that tributes are exclusive to one band and only play that bands songs, some of them go the extra mile and try to dress up and act like the band to whom they're paying tribute. Cover bands are looser and play songs (generally hits) of a certain genre, so you'll have Top 40's cover bands, classic rock cover bands, etc. Either might put their own spin on things, but I think its more likely that they'll try hard to be as close to the original as possible. I would say tribute bands are more like the latter, as they're trying their hardest to be like the band they're mimicking,
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 18:17 by the Goat »
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

2HourHiatus

• Select pistol, and then select your horse.
    • The Two Hour Hiatus
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 19:34 »

I think you nailed it right there.
Lady, step inside my Hyundai...

Funk Thompson

• Larger than most fish
  • Do you know what you are? You are what you is.
    • Funk Thompson's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2008, 07:40 »

I think the words you are looking for, in relation to a song instead of the band as a whole, are cover and rendition - or at least that is the word I would use.

A band doing a rendition of a song puts their own spin on it.  A cover is (usually) pretty faithful to the original.  A band might put a little more or less 'oomph' into a cover but the song is basically the same. 

Click link, receive music.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2008, 07:52 »

I guess we're just arguing semantics here but I'd say a rendition would be the version more likely to remain faithful to the original, if we are talking about a description of a song, although if you are talking about a covers band as a whole, usually you're talking about a band that tries to replicate a song for an audience expecting something fairly recognizable.

As far as tribute vs cover, I think that was nailed rather quickly. Good job everyone, lets close up and nip down to the pub for a drink and a couple of renditions of Wonderwall.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

GMM

• The Internet Sleeps Sundays
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:01 »

a couple of renditions of Wonderwall.

Oh god, must we Mr Hat? I do so hate the Oasis.

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2008, 19:36 »

As far as tribute vs cover, I think that was nailed rather quickly. Good job everyone, lets close up and nip down to the pub for a drink and a couple of renditions of Wonderwall.

Here you contradict yourself, because it's impossible for any song, sung in a pub, to be at all faithful to the original form. It simply can't be done.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 17:23 by the Goat »
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:06 »

What about Come On Eileen? I think it's pretty pub ready.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2008, 07:20 »

In certain pubs a Pogues song could be pretty faithfully followed, at least in spirit.

Zingoleb

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2008, 22:58 »

You know what's strange, my friend Eileen did Wonderwall at a coffeehouse...and I liked it. Whoa.

She was named after the Dexy's Midnight Runners song...and will tell anyone who gets near. Repeatedly.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2008, 00:37 »

Here you contradict yourself, because it's impossible for any song, sung in a pub, to be at all faithful to the original form. It simply can't be done.

Covers bands get paid very well to remain as faithful to original format as possible. You're simply wrong.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Funk Thompson

• Larger than most fish
  • Do you know what you are? You are what you is.
    • Funk Thompson's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:48 »

Covers bands get paid very well to remain as faithful to original format as possible. You're simply wrong.

Yeah I have seen a number of cover bands who sound almost exactly like the original.  Now, granted, in a Pub you might have audio issues preventing it from sounding "just like the real thing."

Australian Pink Floyd sounds almost exactly like Pink Floyd.  Zoso sounds almost exactly like Led Zeppelin.

Madahoochi does a few covers where they sound pretty damn close to the original, in a pub (one with good sound though), but then they also do some where they try and put their own spin on it.

The Gourds and Me First and the Gimme Gimme's sound nothing like the bands whose material they cover ;)
Click link, receive music.

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2008, 10:53 »

there's also tribute albums, where a bunch of bands play songs either in their own style or just a straight up cover for one band (or several bands of the same genre).

i.e.

or

the Goat

• Murder is my hobby
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2008, 20:55 »

Yeah I have seen a number of cover bands who sound almost exactly like the original.  Now, granted, in a Pub you might have audio issues preventing it from sounding "just like the real thing."

Australian Pink Floyd sounds almost exactly like Pink Floyd.  Zoso sounds almost exactly like Led Zeppelin.

Madahoochi does a few covers where they sound pretty damn close to the original, in a pub (one with good sound though), but then they also do some where they try and put their own spin on it.

The Gourds and Me First and the Gimme Gimme's sound nothing like the bands whose material they cover ;)

*sigh* Once again the world misunderstands me  :oops:
The Chicken won't stop.
The Chicken stops here.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2008, 06:42 »

I think for the most part, the Goat nailed the distinction, but I'll add my bit more of understanding to it, as well as reiteration.

A Cover Band - tends to play top 40, and stay pretty faithful to the source.

A Cover Song - played by anyone, in any style, faithfulness to the original source (in terms of sound/structure) optional.

A Tribute Band - tends to play ONE ARTIST, and stay pretty faithful to the source (sometimes even so far as to dress like the band).

A Tribute Album - usually multiple artists paying homage to a musical style or specific band they grew up with or were influenced by, like cover song(s), faithfulness to original source material (sound/structure) optional.

At least that's how I understand it.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Zingoleb

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2008, 20:52 »

Ramonas sound damn close to the Ramones.

Lez Zeppelin sounds pretty good, too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up