THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Jun 2024, 06:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavves  (Read 14524 times)

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Wavves
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2009, 16:55 »

That article makes me so mad. Its tone is deeply condescending.

I guess fuck this guy for suddenly finding himself famous thanks to Pitchfork? So glad they were able to set him up and then mock him when shit falls through.

Or maybe fuck this guy we invited him to play on our stage at a pretty big festival and he acted like a fucking dick.

Or maybe they just thought it was funny.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #51 on: 31 May 2009, 19:23 »

I'm reluctant to believe P4k set up Wavves for a meltdown, by which I mean I doubt it was known in advance that Wavves could not keep it together live. It seems like a demo or something made it out to the net and they seized on it. By all accounts Wavves has apparently been putting on shit live shows for some time since then.

It's not as though live show dysfunction is something Wavves can't get over. People still suck Chan Marshall's dick, don't they? Mark E. Smith's too. Not that I think Wavves is as good as anything either of those people have put out.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2009, 19:38 »

I'm not a Wavves fan (at all, I can't stand shitgaze), but I still think it's kinda shitty that Pitchfork was like, "This guy is AMAZING!" And then as soon as he fucks up, they post an article going, "Hahahahahaha look at this idiot what a failure he is everyone point and laugh." Inconsistent and bitchy move, Pitchfork.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2009, 19:50 »

Wait, so a festival schedules a band to start their set at fucking 2:20 in the morning and then everyone's surprised when they behave in a manner that sounds, basically, consistent with people who'd really much rather be sleeping?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2009, 20:39 »

See, I would hold more sympathy for that position if the man in question hadn't commented on how he was on ecstasy, valium and xanax while trying to perform in front of thousands of people. I don't give two shits about Wavves, but frankly I don't see what's really wrong with a music rag writing a negative commentary on a shitty performance that happened on a stage that they apparently sponsored. Also, I find the inconsistency argument to be a somewhat silly thing to bring up. Plenty of performers are talented but that doesn't mean they are incapable of crashing and burning on stage without anyone noticing. I have no love for the music industry but this guy sounds like he basically broke the cardinal rule and acted like a dick to strangers.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 20:51 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2009, 22:16 »

Wait, so a festival schedules a band to start their set at fucking 2:20 in the morning and then everyone's surprised when they behave in a manner that sounds, basically, consistent with people who'd really much rather be sleeping?

You have to remember the context though.   This is a festival in Spain and most people would be fairly young.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2009, 22:20 »

I'm not talking about the audience, though, I'm talking about the bloke on stage. Just because you're in a band doesn't necessarily mean you want to stay up all night.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2009, 23:30 »

There's a difference between being crabby because a job you took on requires hideous hours and actively goading your audience. I usually understand why people sometimes behave badly when under pressure. I also understand why people typically don't condone such behavior. It's tiresome and in the case of a performance it's not what people paid to come to see. Further, I'd hold that Pitchfork was in a tough place on this regardless. Even if they said nothing at all about the incident there'd still probably be people out there accusing ol' Forky of playing favorites; after all, it's hardly like Pitchfork is the only source of music news and they're pretty established as pro-Wavves for the most part. Hell, it took me two blog posts and a trip to the forums before I even found out that Pitchfork commented on the incident at all yet I would have thought the absence of a comment even more conspicuous than what they did say.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2009, 05:11 by Alex C »

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2009, 23:50 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jun 2009, 01:06 »

Mark E. Smith's too.

Definitely. I mean, Wavves were playing at a big festival but Mark E. Smith does that kind of thing at almost every concert.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #60 on: 01 Jun 2009, 01:23 »

lol according to P4K he posted and then deleted the following on his blog

I think in the back of my head I knew I wasn't exactly mentally healthy enough to continue to tour the way I have been since February. Honest truth is this has all happened so fast and I feel like the weight of it has been building for months now with what seems like a never ending touring and press schedule which includes absolutely zero time to myself. I'm sorry to everyone who has put effort into this and to everyone who supported me. Mixing ecstasy valium and xanax before having to play in front of thousands of people was one of the more poor decisions I've made(duh) and I realize my drinking has been a problem now for a good period of time. Nothing else I can do but apologize to everyone that has been affected by my poor decision making. I made a mistake. Not the first mistake I've made and it for sure wont be the last. I'm human. Don't know why I chose the biggest platform I could imagine to loose my shit, but that's life. You live and you learn.

if you're a douchebag enough to write something like "Mixing ecstasy valium and xanax before having to play in front of thousands of people was one of the more poor decisions I've made(duh) and I realize my drinking has been a problem now for a good period of time." where all your fans will see it then you don't really deserve my respect. Have some class! Also your music sucks.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jun 2009, 12:21 »

There's some video now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3IxqXgchto

I guess that's pretty obnoxious. Seems like they caught the least dramatic part of it, because after a kind of obnoxious soundcheck, they sound like they're starting to go somewhere but then the video ends.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jun 2009, 13:03 »

Based on that video, that doesn't seem that bad at all. Shit, I've played more obnoxious soundchecks than that.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jun 2009, 14:03 »

yo i'm not necessarily coming to this guy's defense for melting down i'm just saying fuck this badly-written pfork article which two seconds ago i discovered was written by schrieber himself
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jun 2009, 14:23 »

The soundcheck really doesn't sound like it was the tipping point from what I've read and from my own experience with concerts. Most crowds would rather enjoy themselves than sit around booing people offstage; it sounds like the real problem was that they got snotty even after things started to turn around a bit for them.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jun 2009, 18:52 »

Whatever the ins and outs of this sorry escapade, whoever wrote that article described his own festival as 'one of the raddest in the world' which makes him such an utter shitcock that he should be ground down an inch a day and used to paint the Forth bridge.

Thankyou for reminding me how much idiotic drama I can happily skip by not listening to shit music and reading shit websites guys.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jun 2009, 19:51 »

Even if it was headlined by Jimi Hendrix and the second coming of christ he would still sound like a douche.

According to the web it seems unremarkable in the scheme of things. Also, a pitchforkstage where Wavves ply. Best in the world. Uh-huh.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Zingoleb

« Reply #67 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:02 »

(name) and the Second Coming of Christ sounds like a band I would go to see.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:51 »

What instrument did Jesus play?

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #69 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:56 »

Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Zingoleb

« Reply #70 on: 01 Jun 2009, 21:11 »

After the Resurrection, Jesus got fat. They used the Jaws of Life to get him out of his tomb.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jun 2009, 01:58 »

Even if it was headlined by Jimi Hendrix and the second coming of christ he would still sound like a douche.

According to the web it seems unremarkable in the scheme of things. Also, a pitchforkstage where Wavves ply. Best in the world. Uh-huh.

It featured Neil Young playing on a beach in front of the setting sun, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine and Shellac.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jun 2009, 08:18 »

Neil Young playing on a beach in front of the setting sun

I love Neil Young. So I hope he doesn't get offended when I say, "lol" about that corny bullshit.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jun 2009, 11:06 »

So how long until some whacked out hipster puts up a "LEAVE NATHAN ALOOOOOOOOOONE!!!" video on YouTube?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #74 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:14 »

So it was basically Glastonbury but everyones clothes get full of sand.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:38 »

What instrument did Jesus play?

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #76 on: 05 Jun 2009, 06:23 »

Well God is a DJ so I suppose it depends on your views on the nature of the trinity
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #77 on: 05 Jun 2009, 15:05 »

I dunno, personally, I like Wavves. And I don't think it has anything to do with the P-fork hype, most because a) I hate Pitchfork and b) I hadn't been aware of their hype towards the dude before I heard him. I have a hard time getting behind a lot of things this lo-fi that were made post like 1996, but after I actually listening to it, I really dug the album. I mean, I'm not saying it's genius, but it's a pretty enjoyable album to like get really drunk to.
I like the way you work it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up