THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flamewar!  (Read 9982 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« on: 07 Mar 2006, 07:29 »

Check out my latest game; it's free!  Tell all your friends.

http://www.moondoggieent.com/games/flamewar.html

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
Flamewar!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2006, 10:13 »

The hardest part of that game was not throwing up in the Matrix level
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2006, 14:43 »

Is that good or bad?  I'm serious; a number of people have made that comment to me, and then immediately followed it with "cool game!"

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Flamewar!
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2006, 18:27 »

Your game is not mac-friendly, so I am unable to try it. It- it sounds fun though?

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Flamewar!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2006, 19:30 »

Dont take this the wrong way, but...
This game annoyed me when I first played it.

Its a good premise, simple, engaging, and funny to boot. My problem is that your enemies have the same range as you, and if you dont sneak up on them or move right, then you are dead FAST. Also, if you attack them from the front, they hit you back immediately, and often with more oomph.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it, especially the little quips they spout while attacking. The graphics are smooth and stylized, and  the feel of the game is really neat. I'm still going to play it, because tbh, its better than most pc games out right now. Its just really pretty difficult until you get the hang of it. Maybe a little bit more of a learning curve, and this game will be seriously kickass. Until then, i'll be attacking around corners, and dodging fast.

Also, that penny-arcade level is screwed up. You are sick for camouflaging them.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Mnementh

Flamewar!
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2006, 20:48 »

Quote from: Gryff
Your game is not mac-friendly, so I am unable to try it. It- it sounds fun though?

What he said.  Also, it had better mention the iBlogosphere.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Flamewar!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2006, 22:45 »

Joe, you had my approval the moment I saw the words "Slashdot" appear onscreen.

Edit: hurr i use good grammar now hurr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Flamewar!
« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2006, 03:04 »

that was some serious and simple fun :)

my main gripe is that you can't select to invert the mouse!

other than that though, i can see greater potential in this.  are you taking feature requests/suggestions?

Mr Putter

Flamewar!
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2006, 03:07 »

That was really fun, but I had to stop playing it because it was making me pretty queasy - I found that the levels where you can't see the vertices were worst for that.

Are you planning any updates?  It would be really cool if the "flames" were specific to the level.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Flamewar!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2006, 04:52 »

Just finished it - I love it!  Tricky to get the hang of, but once you've cracked the right tactics it's a fun, quick game.

Quote from: neomang5
My problem is that your enemies have the same range as you, and if you dont sneak up on them or move right, then you are dead FAST. Also, if you attack them from the front, they hit you back immediately, and often with more oomph.

I had the same problem at first - it took me forever and ever to get past the first level.  I found the best tactic was to strafe quickly around to the side of the "infidels" and roast them while they're spewing out flames in in a direction other than at you.  I love that the power-up in the later levels is the caps-lock.

Just one small game-play comment: I found the movement, especially side-to-side, a little sticky.  Not unresponsive, just - very abrupt, especially in stopping.  I have no experience of designing games so I'm not sure really how to explain it, but I couldn't help but compare the movement in this game to the original Doom: that game was so silky smooth.

Other than that - top job!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2006, 05:03 »

My problem is that your game is way too hard

Yeah, a lot of people have been telling me that.  Believe it or not, the game was even harder before.  I kept ratcheting up the difficulty while developing, and then when I had a friend playtest toward the end I realized I'd gone overboard.  I didn't want to go much easier though, because then it'll be way boring.  The game is very repetitive, after all.

Quote from: Mnementh
Quote from: Gryff

What he said.  Also, it had better mention the iBlogosphere.

Yeah, the lack of a Mac version tears me up a little.  I mostly use a Powerbook, and only have a PC for the exclusive purpose of developing games.  The development tool I use is currently switching to OpenGL, and will be cross-platform, but for the time being it is built on DirectX.

Unfortunately, I do not mention the blogosphere.  That's a funny idea though, and would have worked really well with the premise.  It's kinda too late now, because I don't want to go back and make such a big change.

Quote from: est
are you taking feature requests/suggestions?

I have no immediate plans to work on the game anymore, but if enough people request something I'll probably implement it.  I already added a pause key based on requests; frankly, I'm not sure why I didn't already do that in the first place.

Quote from: Inlander
Just one small game-play comment: I found the movement, especially side-to-side, a little sticky.  Not unresponsive, just - very abrupt, especially in stopping.  I have no experience of designing games so I'm not sure really how to explain it, but I couldn't help but compare the movement in this game to the original Doom: that game was so silky smooth.

I know what you're talking about.  I don't accelerate into movements or decellerate to stops, so it feels a little twitchy.  I actually have a commented out block of code where I attempted to correct that.  Thing is, I've never done an FPS before and that bit of code proved to be tricky, so I just said hell with it.  I may try again next week to get that working.

ADDITION: Hm, this post got long.  My bad.

Inlander

• coprophage
Flamewar!
« Reply #11 on: 09 Mar 2006, 05:07 »

Just played it through again - one thing that might be worth adding is a timer: it might add re-play value if the player can try to beat their personal best time on a level.

edscoble

Flamewar!
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2006, 07:15 »

oh Windows only, I thought it's a web browser game, fair enough.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2006, 14:16 »

Quote from: Inlander
one thing that might be worth adding is a timer: it might add re-play value if the player can try to beat their personal best time on a level.

Good idea!  I'll be out of town for the weekend, but that's the first thing on my todo list for when I get back.  Well, the second thing; I'll have laundry waiting for me.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Flamewar!
« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar 2006, 15:09 »

what language is this written in, btw?

Strike Reyhi

• Not quite a lurker
Flamewar!
« Reply #15 on: 09 Mar 2006, 20:02 »

Quote from: est
what language is this written in, btw?

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?t=9957
KABLAMORATION (J hock answers your question before you ask it coincidence or conspiricy? you decide.)

Inlander

• coprophage
Flamewar!
« Reply #16 on: 09 Mar 2006, 20:27 »

Quote from: jhocking
Good idea!  I'll be out of town for the weekend, but that's the first thing on my todo list for when I get back.  Well, the second thing; I'll have laundry waiting for me.

LAUNDRY?!  And you call yourself a nerd.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Flamewar!
« Reply #17 on: 09 Mar 2006, 21:05 »

After playing this game further, I have realized that i dont hate the penny arcade level.

I hate usenet and The Matrix. What the FUCK is wrong with you? I lost in  the matrix because i got so disoriented. Nice use of wingdings though.

Also, a continue option would be nice for later levels, with a limited number of uses, of course.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Flamewar!
« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2006, 07:28 »

I enjoyed that a lot. It was a nice, quick distracton. An A in my book.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2006, 20:10 »

Posted this a while ago, so I don't know if you were around then:

http://www.newarteest.com/downloads/batgame.html

You are sick for camouflaging them.

Quote from: later, neomang5
What the FUCK is wrong with you?

I am a sadist.

ADDITION: Alright, I smoothed out the motion a little, added a time display, and in the process fixed a bug with timing in the game.

On another forum someone suggested a cool paper/rock/scissors sort of thing, so I might try implementing that later.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Flamewar!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2006, 22:08 »

I found that really easy. I just waited for them to start flaming, side stepped and burned them side on. Never even lost a life.
Very cool. I like.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2006, 22:29 »

Quote from: Spinless
do I have your word I won't get tons of junk mail from unrelated websites?

I am definitely not selling the mailing list to anyone.  I am myself only planning to use it once every few months when there's a news update on my site.

AlkalineJoe

Flamewar!
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2006, 15:50 »

How about some way of getting back to a certain level? I found that if i died, i wanted to try that level again, rather than starting from the beginning, only to die againb and have to do them all again. A save game option might be nice, or just simple codes to jump straight to that level. I don't know much about coding, but I've seen it done, so I'm sure you would be able to, this is of a much higher quality than a lot of the stuff out there :p, but unless you really want to make it a challenge, you could try that. Anyway, I've rambled on enough.

Inlander

• coprophage
Flamewar!
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2006, 19:15 »

A save game option would be a bit excessive given that you can play the whole thing through in 10 minutes once you get the hang of it, but level selection might be nice - maybe if the levels unlocked so you couldn't skip ahead if you can't beat a level.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Flamewar!
« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:15 »

There is a key to warp to the next level.  I put that in for convenience while developing, and didn't remove it because it doesn't matter.

the warp key is ]

zydehkim

Flamewar!
« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2006, 12:48 »

Maybe you could add more references or easter eggs about the sites, it gets repetitive after a while. Oh, and do something about the Matrix, its nauseating. Great game overall!
Pages: [1]   Go Up