THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 05:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave Eggers  (Read 3352 times)

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Dave Eggers
« on: 11 Mar 2006, 18:29 »

Is the definition of hipster jackass when it comes to authors, there, I said it.

More than that, however, is the fact that he doesn't have the conviction to stand behind what he writes.  I'm speaking, of course, about A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (the title alone is enough to get pretentious literary types moist in their panties), and the subsequent controversy surrounding it with regards to the larger role his sister Beth played in the stewardship of Toph, as well as her subsequent suicide and Eggers' backpedaling from his prior "gung-ho" stance in the book.

sjbrot

Dave Eggers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:49 »

Fuck that. The guy's got immense talent, and he's very clear about what he's pretty clear in the foward that there were alterations made.

Plus, he's working on the script for Where the Wild Things Are which has to give him some points.

nescience

Dave Eggers
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2006, 12:00 »

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Dave Eggers
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2006, 16:12 »

Yeah, nuts to that, Dave Eggers is the shit.

Not only a great writer in his own right, but also behind so many other cool things like the pirate store and McSweeny's (see other http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?t=9991" target="_fresh">thread).

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Dave Eggers
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2006, 20:19 »

Part of the problem I have with Eggers (and, to a lesser extent, Michael Chabon), is that their writing is, by nature, disenfranchising.  Eggers (and again, Chabon) doesn't have the ability to deal with strong female characters, so he simply writes them out or renders them inept or helpless.  The only reason Beth is memorable at all in AHWoSG is because of what happened to her after the last word was written.  Other than that, most of the women Eggers presents in his works are simply personifications of desire or pain or sexuality, rather than entites themselves.  Similarly, the most interesting woman in Kavalier and Clay is ultimately sidelined from her artistic independence by the promise of a powerful man to sweep her off her feet.  It's that underlying subtle chauvenism that seems to be making a comeback in modern literature, thanks to too many damn readers who grew up on Salinger and Hemingway, that bothers me. As if it were impossible to be a truly strong male character without it.

More than that though, and this is where Chabon succeeds while Eggers fails, is, frankly, he's a good writer but a mediocre storyteller.   His writing suffers from weak plotlines, which he tries to make up for with  self-referential verbal masturbation. But there's just a bit too much of him patting himself on the back for being oh-so-clever-and-ironic for my taste.  If I want that, I'll read Evelyn Waugh.

sjbrot

Dave Eggers
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2006, 21:05 »

Quote from: JLM
Part of the problem I have with Eggers (and, to a lesser extent, Michael Chabon), is that their writing is, by nature, disenfranchising.  Eggers (and again, Chabon) doesn't have the ability to deal with strong female characters, so he simply writes them out or renders them inept or helpless.

That's actually something I haven't thought about till now. And it's true. He doesn't even put forth much of an effort on that front.

But, I still find him to be a compelling storyteller. He does use a lot of gimmicky post-modernism in his writting. However, he's interesting to read, he has a sense of humour about the whole affair, and, as I feel he proved with You Shall Know Our Velocity!, he can actually create characters that make a progression through out the story. If that's not good storytelling, et cetera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up