THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Political books  (Read 3875 times)

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Political books
« on: 05 Oct 2006, 04:06 »

Ok so having read some Michael Moore a few years back Im kinda wanting to read some more poltics related books. Some more 'pop-politcs' books like Moore's would be good but I am also looking for recommendations for books which are more 'serious'.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: Political books
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2006, 08:19 »

This may not exactly be "political" but I think that everyone needs to read Kurt Vonnegut's last book, "Man Without A Country."  It's not so much a left vs. right political thing as it is just Vonnegut's commentary on the state of the world today.  It's quite a read...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2006, 08:59 »

I'd recommend "as used on the famous Nelson Mandela" by Mark Thomas.

It's about the illeagal arms and torture trades. It's very much about the British situation as opposed to American politics, but it's bloody funny, and a damn sight better written than Michael Moores stuff.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Mnementh

« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2006, 10:54 »

More serious
Richard Clark's Against All Enemies
Joseph Wilson's The Politics of Truth
Joe Trippi's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Sen. Byron Dorgan's Take This Job and Ship It

Pop
Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #4 on: 05 Oct 2006, 11:47 »

No Logo by Naomi Klein - pretty much the best of the popular political books I have read. Have you read Moore's older books, Downsize This and Adventures in a TV Nation? He's much better at labour issues than international politics.
Check out some Chomsky too - quite a different viewpoint to a lot of the lefties.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2006, 15:11 »

serious: The World is Flat by *sorry forgot author*

it talks about outsourcing and so-called "slave labor" and "sweat shops" in other countries etc.
it sort of defends outsourcing and explains why it actually makes sense when you think of labor as a product.

example (possibly right from the books, i'm not sure): alaska needs bananas but they cant grow bananas (or its not cost effective for them to do so) so they ship bananas in from elsewhere for profit. they get something they need and provide work for the people who have that product. we can hire computer tech support phone opertators in india for much cheaper than we can in america. those companys save money, and the the phone operators in india make much more money than they would selling pots or something (whatever they do in india, idk). so the wages they are making seem criminally low to us, they are actually very good earnings for someone in india.
long story short: everyone wins. *

*note: this is not defending actual slave labor/forced labor/child labor or anything that evil. i'm speaking only about people who are working willingly.

anyway, to get back on topic: its a good book and it might change the way you look at the world.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2006, 10:38 »

Cheers for the suggestions guys and gals I shall be looking some of these up. :)
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Mnementh

« Reply #7 on: 06 Oct 2006, 10:45 »

serious: The World is Flat by *sorry forgot author*

Please avoid this book, as Thomas Friedman is a neocon who adopts a rather ignorant "me first" attitude IMHO.  The system of free trade he advocates does absolutely nothing to level the playing field, and studies have shown it will do nothing to lift developing nations out of poverty, instead, it will drive americans into poverty, and enrich a handful of corporations..   If you do read this book, please also read Sen Byron Dorgan's Take This Job and Ship It.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2006, 10:50 by Mnementh »

Felix_

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2006, 20:03 »

More serious
Richard Clark's Against All Enemies
Joseph Wilson's The Politics of Truth
Joe Trippi's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Sen. Byron Dorgan's Take This Job and Ship It

Pop
Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them

These are excellent suggestions. Especially Against All Enemies, I read this after reading the 9/11 Commission Report and was stunned. Very good book.

Here are some others that I liked quite a bit:

Politics: Observations and Arguements 1966-2004 - Hendrik Hertzberg
The Long Detour: The History and Future of the American Left - James Weinstein
Left Out: The Politics Of Exclusion / Essays / 1964-1999 - Martin Duberman

:)

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2006, 20:58 »

I really enjoyed "Globalization and It's Discontents" by Jospeh Stiglitz.  It is a very insightful look into the problems with the IMF/WTO/World Bank written by a man who has been on the inside.  While Stiglitz is one of the heavy hitters on econcomic matters the book is very readable without making you feel like an idiot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up