THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 01:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yeah Yeah Yeahs album Show Your Bones  (Read 18171 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New Yeah Yeah Yeahs album Show Your Bones
« Reply #50 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:39 »

Most of those concert tips sound like advice for seeing any band...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #51 on: 11 Apr 2006, 14:48 »

Also: if someone yells freebird, kick them. Really hard. In the face. Seriously, fuck those guys.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Garcin

« Reply #52 on: 11 Apr 2006, 16:22 »

Heh heh.  I think "free bird" is number one reason why artists don't ask as much for requests anymore.  You know I never actually realized where it started until this conversation finally prompted me to look it up.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #53 on: 11 Apr 2006, 17:57 »

If I have a band, and someone yells freebird, I'm pretty sure I'd have to play freebird like, 6 times over and over again for the rest of the night. And yell like a motherfucker.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

NosLycn

« Reply #54 on: 11 Apr 2006, 23:58 »

After a long time of searching, I have finally figured out who the Yeah Yeah Yeahs remind me of.  They remind me of a little band from long ago, called "Fleetwood Mac".

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #55 on: 12 Apr 2006, 00:52 »

No way! Not even close.
p.s. I love cantaloupe. I'm posting in an attempt to get rid of this title I have been given.

Merkava

« Reply #56 on: 12 Apr 2006, 08:48 »

Someone actually yelled "freebird" at a Modest Mouse concert, oddly enough (it's on Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again). Isaac responded with something to the effect of "there is not enough time or energy in the world for anyone to play freebird." He was suprisingly nice about it. I heard he was a jackass.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #57 on: 12 Apr 2006, 17:32 »

From the interviews I've read with Isaac Brock he seems like a bit of a loud-mouth, but one who is pretty likeable.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 13 Apr 2006, 06:59 »

I heard most of this album while I was wandering around Fopp earlier today, and...it's alright. I think Gold Lion is still completely majestic, but the rest of it seems to be a bit nothingy, nothing too special. But then that's probably just me. The one that rips off a nursery rhyme is fairly entertaining.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

normz

« Reply #59 on: 13 Apr 2006, 07:22 »

I did a cd review on it for the student paper

Yeah Yeah Yeah’s – Show Your Bones

Show Your Bones is the second album from this New York based group fronted by Karen O, the girl with the distinctive and powerful lead vocals (and screams), admirably backed by the drums and guitar (add the occasional car alarm and other sounds) of Brian Chase and Nick Zinner. From the very first track in this beautiful mess of an album ‘Gold Lion’ it seems that the band are going for a softer sound that seems to be more polished and heavily produced than in the past. Karen O’s distinctive voice rises amongst the discordant dirty rock sound showing why she is one of the queens of rock and roll. The influx of acoustic guitars flood and fill out the album quite nicely adding a mellow ambience to the mix . Tracks like ‘Phenomena’ and ‘Honeybear’ show a funkier sound that is sure to be embraced by many as it showcases the distinct uniqueness of the New York City underground sound made popular by bands like The Strokes . In contrast comes the gentle ‘The Sweets’ which seems a lot more subtle a sound than previously attributed to the band. The final track Déjà vu hints at the grimy sound of old but it seems to lose momentum and doesn’t quite live up to potential and it seems almost like Karen O is holding back with the vocals being quite restrained. The sound is not as eccentric as that highlighted on the much reknowned, high energy ‘Fever to Tell’ of the past, and it seems much less discordant and more melodic. This albumn is none the less distinctive and one of those albums best played with the volume button set to “maximum disturbance.” It is recomended to those who like their rock a little bit dirty and rough around the edges but still melodic and catchy enough to appeal to both the pop rock and indie crowd! Only 4 out of 5 stars as it seems there was a lot more potential for the unique gritty and unpolished sound that they were known for.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 13 Apr 2006, 08:18 »

I've never seen the point of people giving a 5/5 all the time. There are those who give 5/5 to albums which are great, and 4/5 to good ones, etc. and where do you go if you come across a true classic? I aways save my 5/5s for the very best stuff.

Garcin

« Reply #61 on: 13 Apr 2006, 08:21 »

Ok, now I'm curious.  Give me 5 5/5s from the past 5 years (and try saying that 5 times fast).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #62 on: 13 Apr 2006, 12:04 »

Well, obviously these are my singular opinions and 'classics' probably isn't the operant word, but:

Kate Bush - Aerial
Twilight Singers - Powder Burns
Helalyn Flowers - Disconnection (EP)
Wilco - Kicking Television
David Gilmour - On An Island
The Mad Capsule Markets - 1997-2004
The Mad Capsule Markets - Live 020120
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (which I now regret)

And looking back I wish I'd given one to Takk by Sigur Ros. This is out of the 50 or 60 odd reviews I've done.

edit: and Howl by BRMC.

NosLycn

« Reply #63 on: 14 Apr 2006, 23:46 »

Kate Bush?

penpen17

« Reply #64 on: 16 Apr 2006, 08:39 »

I just thought I'd compare my experience with seeing them live on Friday with the very useful list above.  It is very true that the songs from Show Your Bones are a completely different experience live.

1 - They're more popular than when they started.  Expect a different audience.

SO true.  For one thing, there were a whole bunch of assholes who were just there to scream and push other people around
2 - Give the opening band a chance.  They're actually good.

No, I don't think so.  The melodies were incredibly repetitive and unoriginal and the singing was either muddied and out of tune or screamy and unpleasant
5 - Wear steel-toed boots.  Mine came in very handy.

I wish that I had.  I wore plain tennis shoes and my feet will never be the same again
6 - If you don't like being pushed, shoved, or trampled, stand in the back.

I started out about 5 rows from the front and ended up being pushed around like meat in a grinder.  However, once I escaped to the middle, I was surrounded by indie snobs who refused to move at all.  There is certainly a very polarized audience now

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #65 on: 16 Apr 2006, 09:33 »

Quote from: NosLycn
Kate Bush?

Yes. Kate Bush.

Your post is a question but I'm unsure what question it is.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #66 on: 16 Apr 2006, 09:49 »

Quote from: Merkava
Someone actually yelled "freebird" at a Modest Mouse concert, oddly enough (it's on Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again). Isaac responded with something to the effect of "there is not enough time or energy in the world for anyone to play freebird." He was suprisingly nice about it. I heard he was a jackass.

Yeah, I heard the same thing, but after I heard Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again, I pretty much dismissed it. I also have a couple of bootlegs from live concerts and he usually seems like a pretty nice guy.

The entire Freebird rant is hilarious.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #67 on: 16 Apr 2006, 10:36 »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #68 on: 16 Apr 2006, 14:22 »

Dude, you totally fucking posted that already. What the hell, man, what the hell.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #69 on: 16 Apr 2006, 15:25 »

In this same thread though? I THINK NOT

TrueNeutral

« Reply #70 on: 17 Apr 2006, 04:45 »

Kai... you have officially made my day. *worships Kai, and Bill Hicks*

NosLycn

« Reply #71 on: 17 Apr 2006, 12:17 »

I'm glad that I don't understand why people yell "Freebird".  It's just a stupid Lynard Skynard song, isn't it?

Garcin

« Reply #72 on: 17 Apr 2006, 15:10 »

How can you possibly say that when I took the trouble of linking the wikipedia article?  It makes my life feel so futile.

EDIT: Just saw the YYYs show at Roseland Ballroom and it was so fucking good that I may have sprained my pleasure center.  Seriously, if you have any affection for them whatsoever, no matter what you thought of Show Your Bones, then go see this show.  They did Tick during the encore and the crowd was dancing, and Karen O was dancing, and the scene was just so incredibly happy.  Karen O is a performer like I have seldom seen -- for instance when shifting from the banshee motherfucking wail to the cute sing song in Art Star she played it for laughs.  Awesome.  She jumps up and down with her arm in the air for a lot of the show, gives Nick Zinner well earned props, and is so not a diva.  And her dress and torn stockings *shudder*.

Yeah, so best show of the year thus far.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up