THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children  (Read 8930 times)

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children
« on: 27 Apr 2006, 13:56 »

Discuss,now!
Hate, rain on me

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2006, 13:58 »

Am purchasing it later today, before work. Will discuss once watched. Probably tonight after work.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2006, 14:06 »

I have seen it only in Japanese.  I really had no idea what was going on, because I never played the game, but my friend tried to explain it to me as it went on.  He also speaks a small amount of Japanese, and was able to help with a little of that.  I think it's rather pretty and the fight scenes are cool-looking.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2006, 16:19 »

i bought it before work the day it came out and i am still in a state of stokedness because of it. i really liked it. i mean...i had moments where i couldnt tell if i was happy about something or mad (i mean, its FINAL FANTASY VII) but when it was all said and done, i came away from the experience happy with it. tonight im gonna watch it in japanese (only watched it in english first) then check out the special features disc. but i would recommend it to any ff fan. hell even non-ff fans should enjoy it.

the music was awesome
the animation is ridiculous
the fight scenes are bananas (b-a-n-a-n-a-s)
i thought all the characters were voiced well (even in english) except for cait sith and red xiii (meh)

all in all, i give it a 8.75/10
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

RedLeather

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2006, 16:29 »

Red XIII Got to me a bit as well, Heh, i liked Rude and Reno...Comic relief, and yet Rude kicks ...somewhat good amount of ass, Like a stifled down version of Tifa (Which reminds me, next time i go nostalgic and play through FFVII to level her all the way up...)

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2006, 18:04 »

I find it to be utterly WRONG to watch it if you never played the game..WRONG. Overall,the movie was extremely satisfying..satisfying..so hard.
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2006, 19:17 »

I saw a subbed version about a month or two ago. I liked the action sequences, of course, but some of the plot devices (which I won't reveal) just felt like gigantic copouts to reverse parts of the original plot. That kinda killed it for me.

So, if you just take it as a gigantic orgy of bitchin' violence, then it's awesome. Otherwise, it's kind of dumb.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2006, 05:38 »

I saw a comedy subbed version a while back. the lines were nothing but non-sequiteurs and stuff. Conversations about hair products during a sword fight, that kind of thing.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2006, 08:26 »

Teehee. The dubbing actually kind of dosen't rule,though..the voices are good,overall,but the mouth movements,if you pay any attention,don't exactly match up so well.
Hate, rain on me

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2006, 08:46 »

Dubbing sucks.  Subs are the way to go.  I don't even watch anime much.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2006, 11:02 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
Dubbing sucks.  Subs are the way to go.  I don't even watch anime much.

Agreed on all points.

Also...

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2006, 14:05 »

Quote from: MatticusPrime

holy cow that is awesome
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2006, 14:36 »

Oh yes..OH YES.
Hate, rain on me

MatticusPrime

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2006, 10:28 »

I stole it from a friend who in turn stole it from someone else. I'm actually not sure where it came from, I just thought it was cool enough to share. =)

Swali

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2006, 20:52 »

I thought one of the cool things they did was include a lot of Cloud's limit breaks. Not all, but some of the more memorable ones.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2006, 21:13 »

There is one of all 4 ranks, who the hell would break limit 7 times in one movie? That's just nuts.

I give it a 8.5/10, easy.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2006, 00:26 »

I really liked it. Great fight scenes, handles the storyline well, though feels like it should be longer. I liked all the characters they had involved and the voiceacting never sounded terrible or forced, even though the voices for Vincent and Sephiroth weren't what I would have expected. Though they are the same voices I attacked for deadpanning some KHII dialogue, everyone is much better here. Overall, yeah, I'll agree with an 8.5.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Smythe

« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2006, 08:03 »

I love it, A massive fan of FFVII anyway, I watch Advent Children in Japanese, it's so much more impressive even if i have know idea whats happening, and Barret in Japanese is fabulous, a japanese Mr T is just what the world needs.

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2006, 03:23 »

The japanese version is much better, if you understand japanese anyway.

Side note: Banana Cid = Awesome

drpepper_phd

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2006, 08:39 »

Fighting scene with Tifa and Loz? Hell freaking yes.

Banana Cid? Double hell freaking yes.
You know the taste of love- http://lamb.atspace.us/">Lemonade and Manic Blue.--Twin sister's Webmanga

CRASH andor BURN

« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2006, 01:47 »

I saw it on a movie screen. I got to sit 3 rows behing Rachel Leigh Cook, Mena Suvari and the guy who voices Cloud. Oh and the director and character designer.

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2006, 02:45 »

MUST KILL CRASH! SMASH CRASH!

Alegis

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2006, 04:19 »

just seen it, although I knew jack shit about the FF story before. of course I went "what the fek is going on?" a lot; yet I quite enjoyed it. Some very neat scenes in it with great music, and I liked the voice acting.
Minus points for story for the non FF addicts, and stiff animation from time to time :P

TIFA IS CUTE !!! <3
darnz now I feel like playing FF; well most likely getting the ones for Wii.

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
Dubbing sucks. Subs are the way to go. I don't even watch anime much.

Disagreed. I prefer Subs on almost all anime series I've seen (quite a damn few), but series like Goldenboy and Ranma clearly got better voice acting in English. Sometimes the English licensers take greater effort in finding/guiding better voices.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2006, 09:46 »

Ok, I admit that I just saw this the other day. I didn't completely get it so maybe one of you can help me out.

Just where did those three Sephiroth wannabes come from?

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2006, 12:02 »

[SPOILERS]

They were created from Jenova just as Cloud and Sephiroth were. That;s why they called Cloud "Brother" and Jenova "Mother.

[/SPOILERS]

At first, I didnt even notice the dubbing errors. Then about halfway through I caught it, and didnt care.

2 Complaints though. Since when was Cait Sith Irish/Scottish? There also needed to be more lines from Red XIII.

9.0/10 for me.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2006, 13:08 »

I liked the action, if at times it was a bit hard to follow with all the quick-cutting (I know it was supposed to be fast, but still).  Reno and Rude were definitely good as I was laughing every time they were one (like when Rude loses his glasses).  Bahamut and the two... uhm... special moves Cloud does near the end were awesome as well.  Tifa actually looked like a girl I knew in high school... (albeit with smaller eyes and no super powers but just as.... uhm.... developed?)

I watched it at Anime Central, where I later attended a panel with Quinton Flynn... and damn he is a hilarious man.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2006, 16:46 »

Quote from: neomang5
Since when was Cait Sith Irish/Scottish?
I think Cait Sith is a gaelic term, so maybe they were trying to play off of that? Otherwise I dunno.

Quote from: Spinless
They weren't CREATED from Jenova cells. Well, Cloud wasn't anyway, just experimented on with them. It happens when he gets captured and experimented on with Zack.
That's how I remember it, yeah.

They're people who've been tampered with using Jenova-bits.
That's confusing to me mainly for continuity reasons, but perhaps I am just reading too much into it!

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2006, 20:46 »

Created, experimented, it gets hazy after 3 years of not playing it. I apologize.

Also, I liked how they brough the different swords in by allowing them to interlock to beef up the strength. Just another little bit to remind you, "Hey, this is from a videogame."

That Omnislash near the end is one of my favorite things ever. Now we need Leonheart to be rendered like that. (One could only hope that VIII would get such a star treatment.)
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2006, 21:05 »

No. One would not hope that. One would hope that Square forgot that they ever made that game and retroactively moved FFIX to be FFVIII and so on and so forth.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

moley

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.moley3d.be
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2006, 02:18 »

the story was really lacking. ooh let's revive mister bad guy only to have mister hero guy kill him 5 minutes later. it was just one fight scene after another. Yes the fight scenes were cool but thats really all the movie had going for it.

they should have had less, shorter but more extreme fight scenes; something like in the original starwarses when you just couldn't wait for luke to whip out his light saber and start smacking people would have been better. The movie just felt like I was watching fight scene after fight scene (which I was) which would be great if I was just some dumb guy sat in the corner going HURR but I like a good deep storyline that makes you think.

Electric Monk

« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2006, 02:57 »

Pros:
~Beautiful graphics.
~Awesome fight scenes.
~Funny moment: FF victory theme ringtone.

Cons:
~Still hate Cloud.
~Tifa still an idiot.
~Barrett's shirt is a crime against humanity.
~Still hate Cloud.
~Sephiroth still all style, no substance.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2006, 19:23 »

I liked the eighth...
The whole 'ff7 saga' thing is starting to feel like overkill.

What I like about 8 and 9 is the closure the endings bring. No revisiting those stories and characters!

Being a total fanboy I still love Final Fantasy VII even with all of it's little faults and big exploitations.

And I'll have to agree with the staements about 8 and 9..I can hardly stand it when I beat a Final Fantasy..for I am a total sap..and nine's ending was the most satisfying.
Hate, rain on me

edcho7000

« Reply #32 on: 02 Jun 2006, 07:08 »

i liked it, but mostly i was just geeking out over the ff7 cameo's and characters.  overall it's really not a good movie, and i don't think i would have liked it if i hadn't played ff7.

Evil Otto

« Reply #33 on: 04 Jun 2006, 13:04 »

Something I've noticed about Square's CGI movie stuff.

Someone (more likely several someones) at Square is a fucking master at the art of creating beautiful CGI women.  Tifa is just stunning (and I'm glad to see they didn't go the Exploitation Now route with her outfit, she's big but not flopping all over the place, the top is positively demure) and (spoiler) Aeris is positively angelic.  Just stunning.  I'll also second the awesomeosity of Tifa's fight scene.. girlfriend can MOVE.

Just my 2c.  I should probably buy the real thing at some point, I just got sick of the endless delays and grabbed the fansub.  Anyone speak Japanese and can speak for the accuracy of the fansub?

EO
Pages: [1]   Go Up