THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls : Oblivion  (Read 54351 times)

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Elder Scrolls : Oblivion
« Reply #50 on: 25 Mar 2006, 18:57 »

It's worth assasinating people just for the awesome horse.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #51 on: 25 Mar 2006, 21:38 »

I highly reccomend that the first thing you do when you first start (apart from save just before you leave the sewers so you can skip that bit when you re-roll) is to head the the Handy Chestnut Stables or whatever the nearby one is and steal a horse and just run. Pick a direction and run. The world looks even more beatiful when it's streaming past you.

The new sneak system is awesome. There's something incredibly satisfying about sneaking up behind someone and cracking them across the back of the head with a warhammer. My assassin isn't subtle.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #52 on: 26 Mar 2006, 01:02 »

Quote from: Strike Reyhi
est what kinda machine you got there?

Athlon XP 2500+, 1gb ram & a Radeon 9800 pro (128 mb)

I've completed all of the mage's guild Recommendation stuff & have been accepted into the mage's college or whatever it is.  I'm only level 4, so I think that I'm going to head out and level up a bit before I start heading into some of the gates to Oblivion I've been encountering here and there.  The last one I went into (in Kvetch) was kind of hard in some points.

JJMitchell

« Reply #53 on: 27 Mar 2006, 05:32 »

Couple of things:
1)The main quest will net you are horse fairly early in the game.  I hate it though.  Maybe its just my crappy machine.

2)EST, yes having the DVD mounted on a virtual drive fixes the CD checking but even having it on your HD works.

3)This game is freaking awesome.  I have yet to run into any quest where I didn't want to do it.  Now my problem is getting too many quests and wanting to do them all.

I'm working on the mage guild and fighters guild quests and have done some of the main quest.  I would ask that noone post spoiler in this thread for those that don't have the game.

There are tons of places on the intrawebs to post/read spoilers if you want.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #54 on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:52 »

I love how you can coat arrows and weapons in poison.  Nothing more satisfying then hitting them in the back for a damage multiplier and then just watching them collapse when they try to chase you.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

nihilist

« Reply #55 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:47 »

Man, this game sucked up my weekend something fierce.  I'm part of the mage's guild, busy working on the fighter/thief/assassin ones.  Done some of the main quest as well.

There was one weird bit in a quest where I was supposed to talk to Captain Burd, but the conversation option just wasn't there.  Drove me fucking nuts.

JJMitchell

« Reply #56 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:51 »

This game truly is the best RPG I think I've ever played.  Not that its perfect or anything but I can't think of any other game that makes me want to RP my character instead of just leveling and getting cash.  Those are just secondary to actually doing what I want.

nihilist

« Reply #57 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:59 »

I actually got tired of a few quests and wanted them to end early.  Also dislike when you need to keep NPCs alive and shit; they just get in the way.  (I noticed this specifically when I had to close another Oblivion gate, and had to show Fuckwad Burd how to do it.)

JJMitchell

« Reply #58 on: 27 Mar 2006, 09:12 »

I do agree that the quests I did where there are friendly NPCs in the way suck.
Its too easy to hit them with a swing or spell.  I killed one on accident and had a bounty on my head.  What a PITA.

Smiley

« Reply #59 on: 27 Mar 2006, 16:07 »

With my 360 still on the way from an ebay auction, I picked up my copy of Oblivion at the stores so I can check it out the instant my 360 gets in, and I'm looking forward to it. Speaking of 360's - has anyone with one had a problem with the March update I'm hearing about?

Smiley
(And yes, I'm still here for those that vaguely remember me)

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #60 on: 27 Mar 2006, 21:07 »

Quote from: Smiley
Speaking of 360's - has anyone with one had a problem with the March update I'm hearing about?

I haven't had any trouble at all with it. Goes perfectly.

I did however, have a really messed up lag issue with Oblivion, but I fixed it:
Apparently some sort of cache of load time files fills up on your HDD after playing for a long time, which can cause lag... it's fixed by holding the 'A' button from the time you turn on the 360 to the second Bethesda Software logo. Doing this clears the cache.. Kind of like deleting all of your temporary internet files. So keep this in mind!
I'd rather be skiing.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:13 »

After the inital OMG I've decided it's no Morrowind. It doesn't seem as mature as Morrowind, it's less dark and seems pretty dumbed down, I keep expecting to come across fuzzy bunny rabbits.

Naturally, I blame the xbox release.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:46 »

You know what?  I caught myself thinking the same kind of thing in a dungeon just now.  It went something like "Heyyy, you know what would be awesome?  If they re-released the entire Morrowind trilogy with this engine ..."

My guess is that you're right on the 360 thing.  They needed to give it more focus or something.  Make it less "sandboxy".  Simplify things a tad so that the people who were complaining about Morrowind's "lack of direction" can enjoy this release.  I appreciate what they're trying to do, and I appreciate some of the changes.  However, I still like Morrowind a bit better in a lot of ways.  I have a feeling the map system is stuffing things up for me.  In Morrowind the integration of instant travel into the game was almost seamless.  You had the transports, and you had the mage's teleports.  Clicking on a point on the map isn't really the same :(

I'm still very happy with the game.  I just hope that some smart people find a way to take the world data files from Morrowind and import them into Oblivion.  That would be aces and fucking spades.

JJMitchell

« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:58 »

I don't think its been dumbed down all the much.  To me all they have removed is the tedious trying to find the correct person to talk to version of quests.

I didn't think I'd like the compass changes since it sounds like too much hand holding but with all the quests it'll still take a huge amount of time to touch even most of them.

I liked Morrowind don't get me wrong but so far Oblivion is getting a better review from me.  They fixed some of the things that I got annoyed with in Morrowind.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2006, 13:11 »

I think this game is going to kill me. I played it for sixteen hours on sunday, and another 12 monday (had blackwing lair and onyxia in wow) and I'm heading back in to murder some dudes right now.
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2006, 18:18 »

Seriously, Morrowind wasn't better than Daggerfall.  There was so much less to actually do, the wildlife was retarded and they cut half the skillset in half and made everyone a mage hybrid.  And a lvl 4 could be sporting a full set of Glass Armor, or with the Vampiric Ring(which I got really early by using a summon Flame Atronach scroll to kill the quardians of it) is so rediculously broken that with no enchant skill I could beat the game by killing shit with it then sleeping to recharge the ring then taking two more steps and killing whatever else I see.  Then there was the whole amulet that gave 80% Chameleon, wow nothing can see me ever, I win.

Now if your saying Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind I fucking weep.  Then again, this could all be a difference of opinion, and the strengths you see in Morrowind were a failiure to me.  I hope its the latter.

But dont get me wrong, Morrowind is the only game of its generation that did what it did and I love it for it.  But I was really REALLY hoping Oblivion would do what Daggerfall(and Arena) wanted to do but failed do to bugs and tech limitations(they be OLD)
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #66 on: 28 Mar 2006, 18:29 »

It seems like Morrowind was a bigger game, I guess.  I dislike the cut-back equipment system.  I liked being able to wear clothes under my robe/armour, because it gave me other stuff to enchant :)

I do like the compass thing, but I dislike the instant-movement map thing.  I'd much rather some kind of in-game quick transit solution like the walkers in Morrowind.  I mean, I guess that I could just ride everywhere if I didn't want to break realism, but that's not the point.  The point is that I felt that instant travel was handled better in the previous game.

I'm still loving Oblivion, btw.  I'm not saying Oblivion is bad, I guess I am just wishing that Morrowind had this engine (in particular, the Havok physics) so that I could go and play it and enjoy it again.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #67 on: 28 Mar 2006, 21:30 »

Dudes, I am just back from reading the Elder Scrolls forums, so I am really excited.  Even though they are basically banned from talking about mods that transfer Morrowind game content into Oblivion people are still talking about it, and there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the idea.  Alternatively, some people are talking about making a http://www.vvardenfell.org/">post-Morrowind Vvardenfell, which I guess sounds pretty cool also!

I have a feeling I'm probably gonna be buying both Oblivion and the biggest & baddest Morrowind trilogy box set when I get paid.

Also, what kind of character are you guys playing?  At the moment I'm playing a pure mage mostly, wearing light armour gloves, helm & boots and with a little bladesmanship when people get in too close.  Next up is gonna be a paladin-aspirant type character.  Sword and shield, heavy armour, healing and self-buffing magics.  So what do you play as?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #68 on: 28 Mar 2006, 21:51 »

I'm a thief, well, an assassin type turned thief when I couldn't find a Morag Tong type guild (I don't like the dark brotherhood). So I'm lacking the personality and speechcraft skills you need and I've got light armour, marksman and blade skills I don't use. I also have a dude who's pretty much that paladin-aspirant dude you mentioned. The thief is getting all my time though.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #69 on: 28 Mar 2006, 22:02 »

Dark Brotherhood>Morag Tong

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #70 on: 28 Mar 2006, 22:10 »

The dark brotherhod are arseholes, the morag tong has honour. Buyt whatever, the Thieves' Guild is the place for me.

Audun

« Reply #71 on: 28 Mar 2006, 22:38 »

I hated Morrowind, with a passion, it just annoyed me on every single level except character creation, from the travel system to the quests to the combat sometimes.

That being said, I played Oblivion at a friends house, loved it and picked it up for the 360 the same night. I liked how they refined it a bit, made it a bit more accessable, it still has some kinks that annoy but overall, its alot of fun and worth the cash.

I'm lovin playin a Nord Brawling type character (hand to hand, light armour, etc)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #72 on: 28 Mar 2006, 22:49 »

Well, it's good to know that the Thieves Guild is actually in the game.  I'll have to go looking for it at some point.  I haven't really done anything other than the very first "urgent!" part of the main quest, and now that there is relative safety I've reverted to character, ie: a self-interested mage.  I've been travelling from Mage guild to Mage guild doing tasks and so forth, then doing tasks for the academy.

However, as I travel the countryside and rise through the ranks of the Mage's guild though I'm starting to notice more and more of these Oblivion gates, so my character is starting to believe that the (main story) is related to the troubles that the mages are facing, and thus is important enough to warrant his attention.

As a result my dude will probably go chasing up the main storyline soonish, as he joins the pieces of the puzzle together in his mind.

By comparison, I think that when I play my paladin-style character he's gonna go rushing in to the main storyline, as he will be eager to prove his worth to the empire and perhaps earn a place in the guards, etc.

Then maybe I'll make some kind of thief-bard type all-round shady character who just won't give a toss & will do whatever the hell he wants from the time he gets out of prison.

Also!  There needs to be a mod that removes magical ability or more seriously hampers it for those who are not magically inclined.  I'd love to see what a straight fighter/thief could do with only his gear and possibly some magical items.  In Oblivion it looks like you can't even enchant things without doing it yourself, can't even pay someone else to enchant items for you.  I wonder if someone'll make a low-magic mod or something.  Would be interesting.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #73 on: 29 Mar 2006, 01:30 »

I overheard something about a collector of elven stuff, I think I'm gonna go chase that up just as soon as I finish this report abstract. Or realise that I'm not getting anywhere and might as well be making the same progress while playing Oblivion. A straight thief could do pretty well, the only magic I use is Mysticism (detect life, and in the future telekinesis and detect key) and finding keys isn't hard (head for the head dude of wherever you're breaking in and rifle through his sleeping pockets).
[edit] browsing the manual, there seems to be no detect key, detect magical item, blind, divine intervention, mark or recall or levitation. Come on people, what the hell?

My paladin character is full of self doubt. After having to retreat like a coward from the first oblivion gate he entered (sword snapped, secondary sword snapped, third sword is simply useless) he is training and training and preparing himself to prove his worth.

On another note, I miss short blade and medium armour and unarmoured and spears. I want my spear back.

JJMitchell

« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2006, 05:29 »

I'm playing a darkelf spellsword which is what I've always played since Arena.  My character is a loner who has gotten caught up in all the problems facing Tamriel (however you spell it).

I must admit that it seems like the magic is almost too easy to get since the mages guild is easy for anyone to access.  From what I've seen any new character can join the mages or fighters guild since all characters start out with simple spells etc.  Am I wrong?

I figure the next character I'm going to play is going to be a summoner type.  I like the idea of having pets to handle most of the melee.

Laffy

« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2006, 05:48 »

Quote from: McTaggart

On another note, I miss short blade and medium armour and unarmoured and spears. I want my spear back.

They removed unarmored? I knew about the others, but that's kinda weird. Anyway, it won't stop me from picking up Oblivion tomorrow.

I should be looking forward to it, right?

nihilist

« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2006, 07:15 »

I've actually been welcomed into the Mage's guild, and just murdered a guy in his sleep for the assassin's guild.  I'm working on the thief one right now, and then I'll worry about the fighter's guild.

Busy busy.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2006, 07:42 »

So what I am hearing is, everyone is still a mage, and the only defense comes in the form of armor.

So basically all the skills/equipment are inclined to Mage Warrior hybrids, unless you exert a little self discipline, but of course since nothing else in the game obeys this discipline your fighting and uphill battle?

Well at least it looks cool.

nihilist

« Reply #78 on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:50 »

I just prefer the power that you can harness with a mage.  Well, a higher-level mage, anyway.  :)

JJMitchell

« Reply #79 on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:56 »

I prefer being able to cast spells to since they add alot to the game for me.
I don't see them as being more powerful really though since the risk/reward goes up.
Less hp and armor = dead mage faster.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #80 on: 29 Mar 2006, 20:30 »

I think I've found a decent compromise on the instant-travel issue.

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/No_Beginning_Markers

That mod will take out all of the instant-travel markers for places that you haven't been to yet.  No more jumping about willy-nilly.  You've got to get there under your own steam first before you can use the instant travel.

also: http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Robes_Over_Armour">Ability to wear a robe over armour

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #81 on: 30 Mar 2006, 00:25 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
So what I am hearing is, everyone is still a mage, and the only defense comes in the form of armor.

The character I'm playing right now is ALL stealth. Basically easymode for 1v1 encounters. I one-shot anything my level stealthed with Umbra's Sword of godliness and I can take out as many as three characters before any of them spot me. (level 11, 100 stealth)
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 30 Mar 2006, 07:50 »

Yes but do all the other mages and theives have armours.  Or do they cast shit at you if they see you?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #83 on: 30 Mar 2006, 15:05 »

I haven't played any TES games before Morrowind so I don't know how defense was done before then.  In Oblivion your defense comes from your Armour, your skill at Blocking and any magical defenses you've got up at the time, like Shield or Resistance to certain elements.  Is that what you mean?

I am really really waiting for a low-magic mod.  I opened up the Constructor Set last night and had a bit of a muck about.  I haven't really done all that much in it before though, so it's slow going.  I was mucking about with the magic settings and saw that some spells you can cast aren't available for enchanting.  I made a mod to enable them & was experimenting with the effect/cost ratio but couldn't get them balanced (5 health/fatigue/magicka per tick regen was the lowest it could do.  Basically made you invincible, booooo), so I turned them back off.

I'm pretty sure that you could limit the effects of some spells, or perhaps even have all the magic skills set to 0 for people without a specialty in it.  How you'd stop them from training it I really don't know.  I'm gonna have a look at some of the scripts over the weekend to see if I can figure out which of them (if any) manage the character creation/levelling process and if I can fool them into thinking that they have no magical ability at all under certain circumstances.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #84 on: 30 Mar 2006, 21:41 »

early alchemy in oblivion is ridiculous. I was just raising my skills creating horrible concoctions of stuff I found and stuff I bought from innkeepers. I don't know where you're from, but where I come from a bottle of mutton juice mixed with grape juice isn't called a "restore fatigue potion", it's called disgusting.
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #85 on: 31 Mar 2006, 03:18 »

They obviously your not from Canada

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #86 on: 31 Mar 2006, 19:41 »

I like to think that you're making some kind of mutton broth, then adding grape juice to it for some kind of weird Tamrielic seasoning.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #87 on: 01 Apr 2006, 12:04 »

i really want to get this game, but i'm afraid it won't run and don't want to risk wasting money and effort on it

:(

DILEMMA
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #88 on: 02 Apr 2006, 04:10 »

I just made my first mod for this game.  It's called "Ungifted", and is that low-magic mod I was talking about earlier.  Basically it removes your starting spells and permanently silences you so that you can play a straight-up warrior or thief-type character without any access to magic.  

You can see the thread I posted about it over at the Elder Scrolls forums http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=331100">here.

and if you want a direct link to the mod zip then that would be http://xplosif.net/oblivion/Ungifted_v1.0.zip">here.

Please read the ReadMe before using it if you're curious about it.  In fact, I'll quote the important bits of it here:

Quote from: The Ungifted readme
What this mod does:
-----------------------
This is a rather simple mod that put a "Silence" effect on your character, removing their ability to cast spells. The Silence effect will be applied to all characters, even those who are well into the game. If you are starting a new game the mod will also remove your starting spells (thanks to "No Starting Spells" by Toren/TheDCProject for showing me how to do this). Your character will still be able to quaff potions (and indeed, partake in Alchemy in general) as well as cast spells from any scrolls you happen upon in the course of your travels.

But, why would you want to do this?
--------------------------------------
Well, this mod is for people like me who would like to try to play a low-magic style character but do not have the discipline to stop themselves from casting a spell every now and then. I know that this mod is almost entirely un-needed if you have enough discipline to stop yourself from resorting to magic, but I am hoping that this is helpful to a few people.

Are there any problems caused by this mod?
-------------------------------------------------
Well, that depends on what you mean by "problems". One thing that this mod does is to place a non-removeable "Silence" ability onto a character. Once applied it cannot be dispelled, which means that in save games after the effect has been applied the Silence will remain on your character even if you turn the mod off in the Data files section. If you are testing this mod out I would advise not saving, or at least not saving over the top of a save game you could use to revert to the un-silenced condition.

*** DISCLAIMER: please don't send me abusive PM's if you've used this mod & then saved over the top of your only save file and now can't revert back to a character with magical ability. I'll repeat myself: The silence effect is permanent in any savegames created with the mod active. If you find that you would rather have your magical ability you will need to turn off the mod, then revert to a savegame created before you applied this mod.

Another thing that may be a problem for some players is that in order to allow the player's Racial powers and those given by their Birthsign I had to set them so that they are not impeded by Silence. Most of them were already marked in this fashion and I don't really feel that this unbalances the gameplay all that much, but if you have a problem with this then perhaps this mod is not for you. I see the Racial powers and the Birthsign powers as inherent abilities rather than magical ones, so I didn't feel that they needed to be stripped out.

man, modding is kind of fun.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #89 on: 02 Apr 2006, 08:53 »

The modding was what made me get Morrowind, and I'd kill to get this too for it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #90 on: 02 Apr 2006, 10:34 »

I'd love to start using Oblivion mods but I'm still a bit leary of them.  I'll probably just finish the game first before I start changing it around.
Do or die, guys!

nihilist

« Reply #91 on: 02 Apr 2006, 10:53 »

I'm starting to get really pissed off at this game.  It crashes so damn often that it isn't funny.  Or worse, it corrupts the save games, so that you cannot load the last one.  I'm going to be uninstalling it soon, methinks.  Awesome game, when it runs.  Sadly it's not often enough to overcome the frustration.

Millerz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #92 on: 02 Apr 2006, 10:59 »

nihilist, I had a bunch of problems with the game crashing all the time. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it certainly solved any problems with crashing I had...
Basically, search windows for a file called - mpeg2dmx.ax
then rename that to - mpeg2dmx.ax.old

Like I say, it's not guaranteed or anything, but it might work.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #93 on: 02 Apr 2006, 13:52 »

Quote from: est
I just made my first mod for this game.  It's called "Ungifted", and is that low-magic mod I was talking about earlier.  Basically it removes your starting spells and permanently silences you so that you can play a straight-up warrior or thief-type character without any access to magic.  

First up: This game looks awesome and if I had a 360 or a decent PC I'd be all over it in a heart beat. Sadly I do not :-(

Secondly: A mod like that sounds really useful. I play a bunch of games and I just abuse stuff like that which can ruin the RP aspect of the game.

Thirdly: Yer new avatar is all kinds of awesome. Except the bit that says "P.I.N number" that makes me cry a little on the inside.

nihilist

« Reply #94 on: 02 Apr 2006, 13:56 »

Millerz, I hit up the Oblivion forums to check for any magic fixes.  Apparently not.  I'm one of the ... 50%? of people who have issues with it.

Still, it's better then Morrowind...

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #95 on: 02 Apr 2006, 22:23 »

Ok, I caved in and ended up using a few mods.  I'm using mods that play around with the leveled lists a bit more, and a new leveling system.  So far I'm still level 1 with my assasin and I've managed to raise quite a few skills but still no level 2.

I also just started the dark brotherhood quests which are proving to be very entertaining.
Do or die, guys!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #96 on: 02 Apr 2006, 23:31 »

I'm currently running an assload of mods.  My Ungifted mod (on my fighter), Arriere's Steel Weapons & armour mods, Darker dungeons, Darker nights, Deadlier traps, Faster Arrows (150%), Arcane Velocity (150%), the guild ranking system that only lets you loot certain things at certain advancement levels, the creature behaviour modifier that makes certain creatures more aggressive, or use shields and other abilities more often, a mod that lowers the amount of damage your weapons & armour take during combat (seeing as I'm using my weapons and armour more often), BTMod (extended interface), and the coloured map mod.

I'm pretty sure that I'm using a few more, but I can't remember all of them.  I bet that a few of these mods probably clash with one another.  I think that I'm eventually going to just put all of my favourite things into the one mod/modpack and fix up the relationship problems in whichever way I prefer it to be.  

I know that this seems like I am changing the game in a rather fundamental way, but almost every mod I am using makes the game harder, especially my Ungifted mod and the two arrow & spell speed mods.  

Archers and Mages are now straight up deadly.  At level 1 you can kill someone in three to four bow shots depending on their armour level, but at the same time every other archer can hurt you just as badly.  Add the fact that I can't heal myself without potions and everything suddenly seems Really Fucking Scary.  Arrows and fireballs are now very hard to dodge, as magic should be.  I was getting really really sick of lazily sidestepping fiery balls of doom, then nailling the mage with an arrow or two because he was too stupid to move.  This helps a lot & makes the game more challenging.

I'm thinking of adding in the "random Oblivion" mod so that things are not levelled perfectly for the character anymore, also.  When you can walk around and know that everything is pretty much your level it kind of takes away some of the surprise of a real RPG.  I want to occasionally turn a corner and find someone who I have to fight hard to kill, or perhaps that I have to run away from until I am a bit tougher.  I'm not 100% on how it works though.  If it seems like fun then I'll probably give it a go.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #97 on: 03 Apr 2006, 00:22 »

Only mod i'm running is one I happened upon... basically it removes the brassiers of all the women in the game, so if one of them happens to not be wearing a cuirass or something, you get to see the awkwardly sculpted breasts of your female character.

I'm pretty sure that all of the bethesda modelers are virgins.
also israel

Solstice

« Reply #98 on: 03 Apr 2006, 00:56 »

Damnit, the more I hear about this game, the more it sounds like I need to be purchasing it. I've never played any other Elder Scrolls titles, and my computer is a little long in the tooth (AMD 2500, 1 gig, Radeon 9700 pro, etc), but all this talk I see everywhere is just getting too tempting. I'm not a biiig fan of heavy RPGs (though I did quite enjoy NWN and both expansions for a time) but this one sounds like a keeper.

Gah. Someone tell me to go get it so I can blame/thank them later. ;)

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #99 on: 03 Apr 2006, 03:16 »

Quote from: est
Faster Arrows (150%)

The arrows in Oblivion are damn near what my (albeit, kinda weak) bow achieves. Thank you havok.

Solstice: go get it. It will^w should run playable on your machine and it isn't really as heavy a heavy rpg as I was hoping for, think Morrowind (since you haven't played it maybe substitute NWN there) crossed with Fable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up