THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, need encouragement/ideas  (Read 32235 times)

Xyclone

Ok, need encouragement/ideas
« Reply #50 on: 01 Apr 2006, 12:49 »

ok so no this isn't comic pluggin, since this will be the one and only complete strip I will ever post here, just looking for feedback on this test-one I've put together, enjoy

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/STRIP1.jpg

P.S. you might want to download it so you can zoom in, ALOT of time went into the details, plus might be alittle easier on the eyes ;-)

Xyclone

« Reply #51 on: 01 Apr 2006, 13:12 »

also I know I forgot to put stuble on him, hey no ones perfect :-P

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #52 on: 01 Apr 2006, 14:27 »

/clap

Only complaint, somewhat hard to read.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

Xyclone

« Reply #53 on: 01 Apr 2006, 19:53 »

agreed, once i got it posted i realized that, still got bugs to work out on formatting too so keep the comments coming and like i said, prolyl easiest thing to do is download the jpg and just zoom in

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #54 on: 01 Apr 2006, 20:56 »

Lookin' good. Punctuate a bit more (missing a comma and a period) and update regularly and I'd read it.

Now, for the punctuation, it may seem like I'm being nitpicky, but I feel like for comics, the lettering should be pretty close to perfect - especially since it isn't hard to fix.

Xyclone

« Reply #55 on: 02 Apr 2006, 13:35 »

Quote from: Spinless
Right, I'm going to be nitpicky.

I don't like the font, it stops me enjoying it at much as I should be. But at least it's not comic sans!
I think it'd look awesomer with crazy insane shading, like cross hatching the lineart and then adding further shading with the colour.

That's just how I'd do it, and I'm not very good, so don't listen to me.

I can't wait to see more characters, especially people with visible eyes.

heh, hey those the kinda comments im looking for, I'm surprised your the only one to mention it so far. The font was def on my list of things i personally didnt like either, but photoshop doesnt really have anything great fontwise, so I chose one of the less obnoxious ones. This whole thing is all a bit new to me so bear with me while I work the bugs out ;-)

registering a domain and getting a site together is also on my things to do, along with school, job interviews, and sleep

akd

« Reply #56 on: 02 Apr 2006, 14:42 »

Whoa. Seriously, going beyond things like font, punctuation etc, just on the Big Two, script and art, that was seriously good. It had a punchline, but the whole strip was funny, not just setting itself up for the punchline. The art was great, you captured the right colour scheme for the setting and the changing angles worked great.

Wow, I've never given head to someone through a comment before...

Xyclone

« Reply #57 on: 02 Apr 2006, 15:15 »

hmmm i like the making my own font idea and the diff color idea... I'll have to look into how to compile something like that.  I love the feedback guys, these ideas kick a whole lata ass

Quote from: akd

Wow, I've never given head to someone through a comment before...

lol, I'm not sure whether to be flattered or creeped out ;-) thanx man

books_out_loud

« Reply #58 on: 02 Apr 2006, 16:31 »

Quote from: Spinless
You have a tablet no? Make your own font, or use multiple fonts.

handwriting always looks way nicer than a font. try writing out the text. if you've got decent handwriting, no one will mind.

Xyclone

« Reply #59 on: 03 Apr 2006, 19:32 »

something i threw together with some extra time tonight, enjoy

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/Mechanic.jpg" border="0" alt="Image hosting by Photobucket">

akd

« Reply #60 on: 04 Apr 2006, 13:52 »

that reminds me, why did you hold out on us about the lil rabbit? He rocks the socks! The little bunny socks!

Xyclone

« Reply #61 on: 04 Apr 2006, 18:33 »

Quote from: akd
that reminds me, why did you hold out on us about the lil rabbit? He rocks the socks! The little bunny socks!

well i cant give away everything :-P what reason would you have to read it then ;-)

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #62 on: 04 Apr 2006, 18:44 »

Quote from: books_out_loud
handwriting always looks way nicer than a font

Not true. Sometimes it does - it often looks more unique - but many other times, people with illegible handwriting attempt this. Please only use your own handwriting if you know we can read it!

Justin

« Reply #63 on: 04 Apr 2006, 19:30 »

aaah i'm too lazy to read what everyone else has written, but let me say that i like the sketchy style better than the solid ink, and i'm of the persuasion that some kind of coloring is always nice. also, a lot of professional artists create their own fonts using their handwriting, although i don't know how much such software costs. i use freefonts from blambot.

anyway nice work, keep at it!

Xyclone

« Reply #64 on: 20 Apr 2006, 18:34 »

ugh.... sorry ive dissapeared for a bit, have had sooo much work to do for school, only one more week of classes!!! anyways, been working on some character design, specifically and new character to grace the comic after i get a few more strips done, although this guy may not be a headliner, he may show up from time to time, just cause i like drawing him lol, just kinda asketchy, not so kempt, sort of wierdo hehe

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/char_test1.jpg" >

also working on compiling my own font too!

mrtuesday42

« Reply #65 on: 26 Apr 2006, 07:53 »

good comic...it looks quite nice...the solid border around teh pics is a lil odd...i would have done some hand drawn goodness to fit your style...and the font is very much distracting from it...if u put a lil transparency on the font that might work better (and change it) your style lacks bold hard lines and the borders/text are very bold/hard so you should change them to fit your style more...looks totally awesome tho (missing the stuble! [sadface])

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #66 on: 26 Apr 2006, 18:39 »

Hey now, why haven't I seen this yet?

I think that your rough style is pretty awesome, and concur with what's been said by Spinless regarding the shading.  Additionally, in the strip you posted I think that the dark, confining boxes kind of take away from the casual feel of the panels.

For suggestions/ideas regarding layout, check out Copper: http://www.boltcity.com/copper/

I know that that has sharply defined boxes etc, but the thing is that the size of the boxes is fluid, so you can lay things out in more interesting ways.

Alegis

« Reply #67 on: 27 Apr 2006, 08:51 »

I like your style, and you seem to be getting some nice font/coloring/art tips which you absorb like a spongue and apply.

I'd love to do some thinking for the text as I did for another project of a friend. Can you provide me with some extra attributes/character traits as material? I'll try to come up with as much as I can. Haven't done anythign mind exhausting yet for a while and need something to set my mind on ^^

dingosatemybaby

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.dingosatemybaby.com
« Reply #68 on: 27 Apr 2006, 15:42 »

Jumping in late, mainly because this stuff rocks.  I love the look and the premise is intrigueing (kinda Mad Max without the mad...just Max?)

I'll second (third?) the comment about the font.  It really detracts from the rough style.  I'd also suggest making the balloons a bit more organic.  Not to comic plug, but looking at a Girls With Slingshots strip will explain it much better than I'm capable of doing.

Now get back to work and feed our webcomic habit!  :)

Xyclone

« Reply #69 on: 28 Apr 2006, 04:49 »

Quote from: Alegis
I like your style, and you seem to be getting some nice font/coloring/art tips which you absorb like a spongue and apply.

I'd love to do some thinking for the text as I did for another project of a friend. Can you provide me with some extra attributes/character traits as material? I'll try to come up with as much as I can. Haven't done anythign mind exhausting yet for a while and need something to set my mind on ^^

I'll get as many of my ideas compiled as I can into one gooey mass and I'll drop you a PM  

Ugh, this next week is my final exam week, so when I need a break from studyin, I'll be putting all my efforts into this and hopefully churn out some test panels with new improved fonts, borders, etc for your viewing pleasure and scrutiny. Then I have a week before graduation which will be nothing shy of me drinking myself into a coma, so I'll have all sorts of extra time to work on this, which I'm looking very foreward too!!!

Quote from: dingosatemybaby
Now get back to work and feed our webcomic habit!  :)

I'm on it!

And guys, I would just like to say everyone I'm am extatic with where this is going and couldn't have done any of it without ya!

Mikendher

« Reply #70 on: 29 Apr 2006, 08:03 »

This is really amazing! I am impressed! :-)

Xyclone

« Reply #71 on: 29 Apr 2006, 09:12 »

more stuff, possibly one of the new characters, someone with eyes you can see, as requested :-P

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/test_sketch.jpg" >

oh and the bunnies name is gonna be Nubbs I think... enjoy, now for some studying.... blah

Alegis

« Reply #72 on: 29 Apr 2006, 09:15 »

Quite kewl :)

The bunny, does it talk? Or think ?

Xyclone

« Reply #73 on: 29 Apr 2006, 10:38 »

heh thats the thing, im going for you never see him move or say anything theme, but he will always be in a frame as if he's just done something, but looks completely mute and immobile. Not sure if that makes a whole lotta sense, but hey I have a vision, what can i say ;-)

Mikendher

« Reply #74 on: 29 Apr 2006, 11:19 »

I like that idea. Very clever. And bunnies are awesome obviously

liquid architecture

« Reply #75 on: 07 Jun 2006, 04:19 »

very nice.

the strip you posted is the most interesting i've seen in a while...
i can definately see a lot of potential.

good luck.

Xyclone

« Reply #76 on: 12 Jun 2006, 17:54 »

blah.... ok guys, been a LONG time since ive even gotten to go on the internet, so I apologize for not giving you any more strips to gander at. I just moved 400 miles, started a new job, and havent had internet for weeks. I have most of another strip done, its just a matter of having time to finish it. Heres something i threw together on friday night before I left for the weekend. Enjoy and I will hopefully be getting alittle more into doing this strip,  I just have zero energy right now. cheers

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/AlienFBIcopy.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jun 2006, 18:30 »

That's pretty awesome.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Sanitycult

« Reply #78 on: 13 Jun 2006, 01:39 »

I likey I likey alot, bunnies!  I also like the whole bunny concept not talking, imobile but in panels that make it seem like it just did something.  At first the whole thing sounded like a "road waffles" thing, but I can see the originality in it now.  Also agree that the font and bubbles should be hand done.  Tis always best hand done, feels like its a part of the art, you know?

TrueNeutral

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jun 2006, 10:21 »

Your style of eyes reminds me a bit of Control Alt Delete.

Also, text isn't always better when done by hand. For example, my handwriting is crooked and unreadeble (sometimes, even for me).

Keep up the good work. Your artwork is very expressive. Me likie.

Silly Bob's new groove

Re: Ok, need encouragement/ideas
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jun 2006, 10:36 »

Quote from: Xyclone
i like the oversized helmet covering his eyes... makes him more mysterious ;-P

I like it ALOT actually, but in reference to that second picture; you need to make sure the always comes down alittle further because it inda just looks like he doesn't have any eyes, you want us to wonder wether or not he has eyes, but I really like it.

Xyclone

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jul 2006, 15:20 »

wow moving sucks.... ok hello again all, I think I've finally gotten settled into my new apt, city, state, job, etc..... so now maybe some comic related goodness can happen, plus I think I'm having some new ideas.  I've found that I've been really enjoying doing some alternate lives of Nubs the bunny from the comic. So right now I'm looking into getting some web space and stuff to host this mess and for now since the actual comic takes some serious time I just dont have in these summer months, I may continue just doing these single frame Nubs and company scenes for your enjoyment until winter hits and I'm stuck inside and devote some serious time to the actual comic. Here's a sample of what I've been up too in the past few weeks

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/DJ-nubs-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/adamspn/nubs-sniper-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

I'm going to try and keep these up atleast because they only take an hour or two... and more feedback is always good ;-)

akd

« Reply #82 on: 18 Jul 2006, 15:39 »

Awesomeness.

But would the dude be aware of these past lives? Like, a reverse Calvin-Hobbes situation

Xyclone

« Reply #83 on: 18 Jul 2006, 17:11 »

heh prolly not, I'm almost thinking this might just be a sort of using the same character for a separate comic, cause I like the idea of keeping nubs as sort of a silent hero in lookin for 5th, but when I draw him in this sense its almost a separate comic.... if that makes any sense at all... lol, just me having some fun and developing a drawing style for him I guess

mookers

« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2006, 16:47 »

man, that is some tight shit there.

and i don't mean any offense, but as someone said before, i think you should work on your character design some. just add some physical idiosyncratic tidbits here and there. give the o_O guy a silly t-shirt. somethin' like that. cause as they are, they are aesthetically uninteresting (to me personally). just my two worthless cents.

edit: the van, too. a post-apocalyptic van wouldn't look that perfect. like someone said before, maybe add some mismatching parts, some fading/peeling paint, a busted headlight, or maybe something cool that guy painted on himself to scare off BANDITOS. or like a wizard with some naked chicks. you know, just give the van itself some character.

Xyclone

« Reply #85 on: 15 Aug 2006, 08:35 »

Ok guys, so this will prolly be my last post related to my own work here. If you happen to look at my sig, you just might stumble upon the temp comic/blog site I have up to post my new stuff. I'll update it relatively often, so keep an eye on it ;-) and by all means just as before: idea's, criticism, or just saying hello are always welcome. As you might have noticed although this is my work, I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys, so its as much mine as yours at this point. QC fans rock! l8r gators

Xyclone

« Reply #86 on: 09 Feb 2007, 16:27 »

Ok guys, so I been gone for AWHILE, mostly from graduating, moving and working, but thought I'd throw some other stuff up there for encouragement for others who are maybe startin out drawing and need motivation. I'll just say that practice really helps ALOT. I can't believe some of the stuff I've churned out lately compared to the old crap i had done previously, but also wanted to say that taking cues from jeph's amazing work pays off ;-)

also holy christ almost 8,000 views of this topic  :-o

Some of my latest stuff, been workin on playing with pinup girls

Lewis Rice

« Reply #87 on: 10 Feb 2007, 20:43 »

Huzzah for post apocalyptic!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up