THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tender Topic, Tread Carefully...  (Read 3204 times)

whitnelson

• Not quite a lurker
Tender Topic, Tread Carefully...
« on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:27 »

Ok -

Lets talk about something which needs to be discussed, but tends down a slippery slope. Web comic promotion. I know! I know! Whore, you cry! So lets lay down a ground rule or 2. I suggest, in this thread, no links to any websites. A frank discussion of website promotion musn't contain any. Also, no smelly cheeses. Agreed? Alright.

So you've made a webcomic. It's out there, just waiting to be enjoyed, but no one's enjoying it. Yet. How do we make this webcomic thing a reality and not just some backwater site on the net who's only hits come from googlebot and you great aunt Gladys?

Tread carefully friends, this topic draws the gaze of the all-seeing eye...

-- whit

mrtuesday42

« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:30 »

well...you could join some sort of groupd like day free press or interact or buzzcomix...you could tell ur friends, put the link ur sig on forums and email and well thats all i got...

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2006, 09:18 »

There's a comic plugging thread.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

Mollinda

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2006, 12:44 »

Have a look at the site I set up (the brain child of the comic pimping thread) - Interact, linked in my sig. There's info on there, and a forum for pimpage :)

mrtuesday42

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2006, 13:21 »

it is teh pimpage! cept not so many ppl is on at one time...im usually all alone...cruising my posts...waiting...and waiting...

reva

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2006, 17:29 »

Yeah, being an active part of communities is a big key.  Not link whoring in these communities, but just posting a lot (with things of intelligence/substance), and people will start clicking links in your profile/sig.  Especially in communities actually involved with webcomics, wether it be individual comics (such as here) or blogs/news sites (comixpedia, websnark, etc.).  I've found the latter helps you get attention from a lot of other comic creators, who may possibly link your comic on their own sites, etc.  Of course, for that to really work, you've got to actually be interested in posting in such places too, or else it may seem (and would, in fact, be) a desperate attempt to get links (and of course, your comic should probably be good for this to take effect as well).

Then, of course, there's paying for ad space.  I've not done it yet, myself, but I've heard evidence of this both helping a lot and being a complete waste.  In this case, it probably mostly depends on choosing the site you want to advertise with, the comic (or other site) that would probably have readers likely to be interested in your comic as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up