THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scary Games  (Read 25319 times)

Stifled Dreams

Scary Games
« Reply #50 on: 11 Apr 2006, 17:25 »

I believe I've said it before, but whatever.

Grues scare me crapless.

Gebstar, you can come stay in my VERY LIGHT hiding place. With lots of light. Ack.

Kukushka

Scary Games
« Reply #51 on: 11 Apr 2006, 17:42 »

I agree that Doom 3 used too many cheap tactics to really make it enjoyable for me. Not being able to see anything was far more frustrating than it was scary.

And I do agree with System Shock. It was creepy. It was probably even creepier because it was the first 3d game I ever played. The whole "things can come up behind you" business scared the pants off me.

FEAR was pretty good. A lot of their scare tactics have really become a bit cliche recently (yes, we know little girls with long black hair in their faces are scary, let's all move on now). But it scared me enough that I refused to play it when the man wasn't home to protect me from any ghosts that might find their way into our apartment, so I can't say that it wasn't scary to me.

The game that has scared me the most would have to be AMBER. I'm sure no one has ever even heard of this one, lol. It was one of those games where you are given one screen at a time and you click to move. I think the biggest reason this was scary for me is that I was just so young when I played it. But some elements of it (like the music that played in the garden sequence when you find the hanged man) still creeps me out when I see/hear something similar.

The Mighty Mopdecai

I can't believe....
« Reply #52 on: 20 Apr 2006, 08:18 »

I can't believe that no one mentioned Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem sure it sometimes used cheap tricks to get you scared but there is one thing that brings that game out for me ' body in the bath'

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Scary Games
« Reply #53 on: 20 Apr 2006, 16:39 »

ED had some of my favorite moments in any game. The game itself never scared me, but some of the sanity effects were pretty awesome. The BSoD, being unable to control you character while he's being mauled by zombies, and the Hamlet thing were all awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Scary Games
« Reply #54 on: 20 Apr 2006, 22:04 »

F.E.A.R. is a very appropriately-named game: I am only able to play the game for 10 minutes at a time, which is about the time it takes to get from a fun, happy "shoot-the-bad-guys" level to a "little girl creeping around on the wall" level.

My scares from F.E.A.R. are due in large part to the building-up of tension as the creepy parts grow near. I will slow to a crawl through the offices and urban environments whenever my radio crackles to life with static, and I will stop right-out when I hear laughter, or see the fleeting footsteps of a little girl. Tense, to be sure.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Sarcasmorator

Scary Games
« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2006, 18:12 »

Freakin' Dark Forces. The sewer level. The Dianogas. Gaaaah.

Leon

Scary Games
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2006, 19:29 »

Argh you beat me to talking about PyramidHead. if anyone want's some reference here ya go: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6669/pyramidheadbitch4qv.jpg

He is the freakiest thing evar. And I haven't even played the Silent Hill series, I just read about it on Wikipedia and it's freaky. Basically when he's not chopping you in half with that giant knife, he's raping other demons and impaling the sexed up version of your wife repeadedly. It's just... freaky.

Stifled Dreams

Scary Games
« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2006, 19:47 »

THE GRUES ARE GOING TO EAT YOU ALL

I am so close to getting up and turning on another light right now!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Scary Games
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2006, 22:45 »

Quote from: Leon
Argh you beat me to talking about PyramidHead. if anyone want's some reference here ya go: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6669/pyramidheadbitch4qv.jpg

He is the freakiest thing evar. And I haven't even played the Silent Hill series, I just read about it on Wikipedia and it's freaky. Basically when he's not chopping you in half with that giant knife, he's raping other demons and impaling the sexed up version of your wife repeadedly. It's just... freaky.

I'm seriously, you guys.

Pyramidhead has the freakiest introduction of any villian in any game ever made. A lot of games try to make you hate and fear the villian by doing something like killing the family of the protagonist who you just met and don't give a rat's ass about.

With Pyramidhead, you get to hear him grab one of the demons you've been fighting, drag it to a kitchen, and rape it over and over before he leaves and you find said demon a bloody, torn up mess.

It's...pretty harsh and gives the desired effect of being terrified as hell of him for the rest of the game.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Sarcasmorator

Scary Games
« Reply #59 on: 22 Apr 2006, 19:45 »

Leon: Where'd you get that? That scene wasn't in the movie, though Pyramid Head is in top form otherwise.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Scary Games
« Reply #60 on: 22 Apr 2006, 23:46 »

I've recently been inspired to make a short story game thing of the atmospheric variety. But that would require so many time and skill that I don't have.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Bunnyman

Scary Games
« Reply #61 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:16 »

Quote from: Sarcasmorator

God-damn that was unsettling.  Those Dianogas picked the exact right time to jump you.  Fuckers.

Sylph

Scary Games
« Reply #62 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:30 »

I really wish I'd gotten into the Silent Hill series because I sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'd love. Something I'd soil my pants over but still love, somewhere down there in the fear.

Resident Evil is always going to be a win, playing the original games now seems kind of embarassing to think those graphics ever scared you like they did but as it's already been said, the remake of RE1 rocks. Really, even after knowing the entire game from the original I don't know how many times I entered a new room, headr a noise or saw something move and just stood there for 10 minutes (quite literally 10 minutes), gun drawn, crapping myself. Eventually I'd move and maybe a super zombie would suddenly burst around the corner and start galloping in the general direction of my throat. Good times.

RE4, even though I love it to peices, isn't scary. One of the main reasons I did so well in it, concentrating on trying to get head shots and such forth takes away most of the scare. Well, most of it, the regenerators part of the facility scared me a lot. Anything that lose a head, both it's arms, part of it's chest and both of it's legs that can still find a way to crawl upto you and lunge at your throat earns a place in my nightmares.

Doom3, not much to say about it except that it scared me on quite a few occasions. Atmospheric lighting in that game really was done nicely but I admit sometimes it was just frustration. Especially that your marine couldn't understand the concept of holding a at least a pistol in one hand and a flash light in the other. One of my favourite scares in the game is with the disembodied voice of a women that beckons you over to a door where she start telling you about her baby. The fact that that door never opens makes the whole thing ten times more scary for me, some how I don't think I ever really want to know what would be inside.

FEAR, I don't care how cliche little girls with black hair are it still worked and since 'Ring' it'll work every God damn time. There are a few times that game really made me jump, and I mean jump, not just scare the crap out of me. I mostly took solice in the fact that she seems to spend most of her time going away from you. But take the ventilation shaft, when the lights go off and you see something that looks like a little girl spider walk it's way towards you I couldn't help just open fire until the lights came back on again. From a gameplay point of view I really liked FEAR, it was nice to have the 'slowmo' mode to explain why you were doing so well instead of just saying 'Oh, you're a one man army even though you're just a regular soldier.' The fact that you could also hear your enemies communications rocked so hard too, I'll be sad if I never see that used in another game.

Apart from those more well known titles I don't think I've actually played any really scary games, which is a shame... Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem I have played but I laughed more than crapped myself. I don't want to beat down too hardly on it but the game was just trying so hard to be a horror genre that it was failing.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Scary Games
« Reply #63 on: 23 Apr 2006, 17:29 »

Quote from: Sylph
But take the ventilation shaft, when the lights go off and you see something that looks like a little girl spider walk it's way towards you I couldn't help just open fire until the lights came back on again.

I know how you feel there. Even though I know that none of these paranormal occurences will ever hurt my character, there is no way in hell that I am going to let that ghostly little f*** walk around without some led going through her skull. I won't let off the trigger until the lights are on, or she's gone.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
Scary Games
« Reply #64 on: 24 Apr 2006, 00:16 »

I'm playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time and it's freaking me a bit.

My favourite kinda freaky game was Shadowman on the N64. The "Playrooms" level was twisted, with wierd clown surgeon guys and gimpdogs.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

iconoclast

• Plantmonster
  • quaker oats for you, it's the right thing to do
Scary Games
« Reply #65 on: 25 Apr 2006, 07:53 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
Quote from: Sarcasmorator

God-damn that was unsettling.  Those Dianogas picked the exact right time to jump you.  Fuckers.

holy crap, i hated those guys. fortunately you could GENERALLY hear them before you saw them. and thermal detonators helped. as well as mines.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Scary Games
« Reply #66 on: 29 Jun 2006, 21:24 »

Speaking of Resident Evil 4 (which people may or may not have been doing): http://www.mega64.com/re4.htm" target="_fresh">check it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Scary Games
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jun 2006, 01:15 »

Ooh, I'm glad this thread's been revived, because I have to refute something.

Every time we have one of these "scary games/scariest gaming moments" threads a bunch of people always nominate the "Robbing the Cradle" mission from Thief: Deadly Shadows.  Well, having just played that for the first time last week I feel compelled to say: WHERE ARE THE SCARES?!  Seriously, scares in the Thief games come from having nowhere to hide first, and having scary monsters and creepy noises second - ideally a combination of the two (see: the Haunted Cathedral mission in the original Thief).  The whole of the Cradle was so drenched in darkness that there was never anything to fear.  I mean sure, there were rather creepy electro-shock zombies - but anyone who's played through the Thief series has come up against more zombies than they care to mention; plus, the ones in the cradle always announce their arrival not only with their sound, but with the way the lights start to flicker whenever they approach.  Secondly, the ghost in the Cradle mission: well, being scared of her is like being scared of Casper the Friendly Ghost.  Except, you know, it's Lauryl the Friendly Ghost.  And the staff once you go into the Cradle's memory?  Don't even get me started!

. . . Umm, I think that's all I've got to say.  Thankyou!

Default.mp3

Scary Games
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jun 2006, 09:30 »

Doom3 was probably the scariest overall experience for me. Granted, it was boring played during the day, but at night, it really was quite an immersive experience, and the cheap shots would scare the shit out of me. I guess it's true about being afraid of what you don't know.

F.E.A.R. was not scary at all, for some reason. Great game, fun and all, but I never actually was scared. I guess I just don't find little girls with long hair and blood all over the place all that scary.

Interestingly, I also found Half-Life 2's Ravenholm level rather unnerving. There was a bit of panicky desperation that ran through me as I tried to complete the levels for the first time (OMG POISON ZOMBIE AHHHH).

Spear of Destiney scared me as a kid. And so did Diablo. I guess I was a wimp those days.

Moo Cakes

Scary Games
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jun 2006, 11:07 »

Oh gosh...

Fatal Frame: The Crimson Butterfly was some scary shit.

Then Silent Hill really creeped me out.

ALSO: Resident Evil 4. Oh my god... I swear, everytime I play that I get the jitters.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Scary Games
« Reply #70 on: 01 Jul 2006, 01:38 »

I'm totally with you people on Dark Forces.  It's the only game that's really scared me, and it's the first one that I thought of upon seeing this topic.  Mainly for the sewer level, but the one that always freaked me out the most was the lever on the red planet with the robotic Dark Trooper running around.

jebus

Scary Games
« Reply #71 on: 01 Jul 2006, 15:40 »

Th-Th-The B-B-Bar-Barbie G-G-Game-Games........they're after me, everywhere i go, the damn bright colours.

Kana

• Plantmonster
Scary Games
« Reply #72 on: 01 Jul 2006, 22:24 »

Quote from: The Cosmic Fool
I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here, but the game "Titanic: Adventure Out of Time" scared the living hell out of me. I played it when I was like 13, and for some reason, I will never be able to play it again.

For those who have never heard of it, the graphics are really bad for a partial 3D game, and when you zoom in close, characters faces look deformed. It's especially bad when you're down in 3rd class, alone, with freaky piano music playing while you're trying to find out what's going down on this ship.

When you get down to this part in the boiler room, you meet this Vlad guy, and once you say the wrong thing, he quickly pulls out a wrench and kills you. It's amazing how fast he does it. And when you've been listening to the same piano death song for like 2 hours, it makes you edgy.

You're talking bout the starship titanic 'myst' type game right? the one with that crazy fucking parrot?  that game was eerie as hell... when i bought it i listened to the audio story tape that came with it... then played.  its a total ghost ship in the truest sense.. reminded me of that movie Event Horizon.. and the game didnt really seem to be made to scare you.. it was just...eerie.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Scary Games
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jul 2006, 20:00 »

. . . You mean the Starship Titanic game that was created by Douglas Adams?  Never played it, always wanted to.

Bunnyman

Scary Games
« Reply #74 on: 03 Jul 2006, 03:17 »

Aliens Vs. Predator 2.  Some excellent atmosphere-building, there.  Masterfully combines lighting design, subtle incidental music cues, and the ever-present ping of the motion tracker to develop a truly immersive dread.

And I nearly pissed my pants every time I got facehugged.  Gaaah.

Kana

• Plantmonster
Scary Games
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jul 2006, 09:07 »

Quote from: Inlander
. . . You mean the Starship Titanic game that was created by Douglas Adams?  Never played it, always wanted to.

yeah thats the one... for its time the game was huge... i think it came out before diablo 2 and it was on 4 discs... great game....

superrob

Scary Games
« Reply #76 on: 03 Jul 2006, 14:45 »

Vampire: the Masqurade: bloodlines.  There's a level where you goto a haunted house.  To crete the level, the disigners researched the methods for haunted houses, and recreated them.  It had me shaking in my seat.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Scary Games
« Reply #77 on: 03 Jul 2006, 16:48 »

Video games scare the living hell out of me.

Shadow Of The Colossus has its share of moments that terrify me - namely, the snake-things and the scorpion thing. Fuck are those guys scary.

Gabriel Knight scared me. So I guess it served its purpose. And a lot of adventure games have scared me since. I was afraid to play Myst because I was afraid that somewhere out of the game's placid calm would come a monster to rend my soul in two and hell. I'll just let you guys know that pretty much every game scares me in some way, shape or form.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Scary Games
« Reply #78 on: 03 Jul 2006, 17:29 »

"Majestic"

That was an eerie-ass game. very not-heard-of, but full of atmoshpere. you were exploring this abandoned space cruise liner using four remote-controlled drones. couple of riddles, a sentient computer chip, and alien intruders that could only be detected in a spectrum not visible to the human eye.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Zombiefish

Scary Games
« Reply #79 on: 04 Jul 2006, 22:41 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
i remember one of the silent hill games scared me alot more than any others in the series. i dont remember which one. the one when you start out in the carnival or whatever and theres the dead pink bunny mascot just chillin there. it took me like ten minutes to walk past that guy cause i kept thinking he was gonna stand up and stumble my way. but he never did. men in bunny suits are scary dead, alive, or undead.

That's the second one, that would be the creepiest game I've ever played for sure. Gah, just thinking about the creepy nurses gives me the jibblies

blood_and_thunder

• Not quite a lurker
Scary Games
« Reply #80 on: 05 Jul 2006, 13:53 »

The scariest video game for me was Project Zero (Fatal Frame in the USA) 2: Crimson Butterfly. It is basically a survival horror game, but you control a teenage girl in a village full of spirits and the only weapon you have is a camera that can destroy the spirits by taking pictures of them. The atmosphere is incredible, it is very much inspired by Japanese horror movies. If you found 'Ring' or 'Juon: The Grudge' creepy then you will love this game. Seriously, give it a try. I found it far more frightening than any Resident Evil or System Shock games (and I found those creepy!).
it's all darksided

MatticusPrime

Scary Games
« Reply #81 on: 09 Jul 2006, 21:04 »

Quote from: superrob
Vampire: the Masqurade: bloodlines.  There's a level where you goto a haunted house.  To crete the level, the disigners researched the methods for haunted houses, and recreated them.  It had me shaking in my seat.
I was hoping to be the first one to mention this!

Even the setup is great. When you ask Therese how in the world you're supposed to fight a ghost she goes, "You can't. But don't worry, they're harmless." And in a way she's right. They can't directly attack you. But they can manipulate the environment indirectly to intimidate or harm you.

What's brilliant about the level is that there's not one single enemy anywhere, but there's still this oppressive feeling of fear the whole way through. It's all atmospheric. There's the ghost of the man who murdered his family and set fire to the hotel, and he does everything he can to scare or hurt you. And then there are the ghosts of the wife and daughter (the son is strangely absent) who try to help you... but can only do so indirectly.

Like when you're crawling through the vents and you hear this soft voice whisper "...beeee careful..." and then you come out into the elevator shaft. If you don't move quickly enough you'll be crushed by the elevator that the ghost of the murderer causes to fall down the shaft.

But the most striking thing about this level is the end. The entire game of Vampire takes place during the night. It has to, vampires die in sunlight. But the very end of the hotel level brings you to the room the family was staying in before their deaths. At first it looks broken and burned like the rest of the place, but as soon as you step inside everything changes. You see a vision of the room as it looked originally... including the sunlight streaming through the windows. It is the only place in the entire game you see sunlight and everything looks warm and comforting. That's when it hits you that this room is the victims' sanctuary. This is the place the murderer's ghost cannot ever touch and the only place in the whole level where you are safe.

mysteriousbriefcase

Scary Games
« Reply #82 on: 19 Aug 2006, 15:01 »

The Suffering: Ties that Bind.  

Although a bit cliche at times (the government "bad guys" that keep switching sides), it's still pretty freaky.  The enemies are hideously deformed, the ambience is terrifying, it does a great job of capturing people in desperation, and the random still flashed of your dead wife and children, as well as the images of when you do something "bad", succeeded in freaking me out.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Scary Games
« Reply #83 on: 22 Aug 2006, 05:27 »

I have to bring FEAR up again. It just makes you jumpy as hell, it's almost a relief to stop playing, but you still go back for more. Let me just explain it for everyone that hasn't played it: You're in first person, but you can see your weapons and body (when you melee). You're fighting through around 1000 cloned super-soldiers, who can easily fuck you up because the AI is so advanced (and you can hear them shout things like "he's trying to flank us!" if you try and sneak round them). You're walking along, jumpy as hell because you're trying to not get shot up then you see a rotting corpse flash before your eyes. You keep going, trying to ignore it but then you see someone walk past a half-opened door. You squeeze the trigger and spray the opening with your precious bullets. You edge forward and open the door, scanning all around you for enemies. There's nothing there, not even a corpse. And then more scary shit happens. I love that game.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Scary Games
« Reply #84 on: 22 Aug 2006, 07:04 »

I love how random crazy shit just happens in FEAR. I cringe every time I hear  white noise on my commlink.

Also, Autocannon = <3
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

gingersnaps

Scary Games
« Reply #85 on: 27 Aug 2006, 17:36 »

I have yet to play a game that has trully creeped me out. However, something about the heavy rain trailer gave me an extremely uneasy feeling.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Scary Games
« Reply #86 on: 28 Aug 2006, 08:55 »

Resident Evil: Dead Aim scared the shit out of me.  The setting is on this zombie-filled cruise ship, and all you hear in the speakers is your footsteps ringing...soooo creepy....also, there was the part where you first get the machine gun; you walk into this meat freezer which is filled with dead bodies and shit, get the machine gun - which of course has little or no ammunition in it - and the second you turn around there's a metric fuckton of zombies trying to eat you.  Not to mention you use the GunCon instead of a regular controller, so every time you get in a firefight, instead of just mashing buttons with your thumb or whatever, you actually are pulling a trigger...I don't care how uncool it makes me sound, I'll admit that many, many times playing that game made me squeal like a scared little girl.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up