THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save Dicky Barrett's Job!  (Read 2161 times)

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
Save Dicky Barrett's Job!
« on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:53 »

taken from the news section of The Aquabats' website:

In a shocking turn of events this past week, MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES front man and all around radical man, DICKY BARRETT was fired from his job as morning DJ on Los Angeles' radio station INDIE 103.1! The reason? He refused to conform to the corporate wannabes trying to "mainstream" up the radio station to become the next "KROQ" (the biggest alternative radio station in southern California and the lamest). INDIE 103.1, which has only been around for a couple of years now has gained a huge following for doing things "indie" and going against the grain of formatted "corporate" radio stations. When Dickey was hired to DJ the "MIGHTY" morning show, he was under the impression that at this radio station he could pretty much do and play whatever he wanted... and he did... until standards and 'ratings' started to climb and 'new' emphasis on conforming to traditional corporate "rock" radio format caused DICKY to do the unthinkable and question authority at the station. DICKY was FIRED!!! Kids, I don't know if you realize this but Dicky was one of the few decent human beings in this world that actually PLAYED THE AQUABATS... ON THE AIR. Without people like DICKY BARRETT this world will come unglued and the Aquabats, as a team of heroes, will cease to exist. You can read Dicky's official statement here. KIDS IF YOU LOVE MUSIC AND CARE ABOUT THIS WORLD AND YOU LOVE FOOD AND DON'T WANT TO DIE IN A TERRORIST BOMBING... PLEASE! EACH OF YOU!! E-MAIL CLEAR CHANNEL AND DEMAND DICKY'S JOB BACK... WITH A RAISE AND ORDER THE FIRING AND DISPLACEMENT OF THE LAME CHICK AND DUDE THAT ARE DOING THIS TO THE AQUABATS' RADIO STATION!!!! KIDS, ONLY YOU CAN DO THIS!! So, as homework tonight I want each of you to write a 200 word paragraph about this INJUSTICE and E-mail it to [email protected] 100 times each. THANKS AND LET'S HELP TAKE A BITE OUT OF CRIME!!

bombastic writing aside, this is an incredibly lame turn of events.  one of the reasons why i loved Indie 103.1 so much when i started listening to it was that they didn't conform to any sort of corporate playlist; most of the music they played was chosen by whatever DJ is in the booth at any given time.  Dicky Barrett's show was probably the most diverse; you could hear everything from Donny Osmond to Minor Threat to Toots & the Maytals in one morning.  if any of you could shoot off an e-mail or two to these jackass fucks, it would be much appreciated.  thanks.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Narr

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2006, 09:41 »

Anyone that plays the Aquabats on the air deserves a job on a radio station.

That sounds like it was a good radio program.  I'd listen to it, if we actually got ANY radio stations up where I live now.

Combinethresher

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2006, 10:43 »

As someone who hates Top 40 style programming and wishes that radio formats outside of college would get a fucking clue, I think this is terrible news indeed. Good thing I'm going for a job in satellite radio so I can hopefully avoid some of this crap.

Thankfully, Dicky will land on his feet. He's a very nice man and didn't deserve this.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2006, 11:47 »

Does anyone in Vancouver remember X-fm? Remember how lame it was with its "alternative" hits? Then remember how they went bankrupt and fired all the DJ's and turned into Christmas FM?

Fortnight

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2006, 12:25 »

As a Cadet, I suppose it is my duty!

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2006, 22:01 »

Quote from: Rubby
Does anyone in Vancouver remember X-fm? Remember how lame it was with its "alternative" hits? Then remember how they went bankrupt and fired all the DJ's and turned into Christmas FM?

I remember it, because back then I liked that sort of thing.  T'was a shameful time in my life.  And now it's Clear FM.  It's gone through plenty of changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up