THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 04:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fighting Games - F*** You Ryu.  (Read 11365 times)

The Mighty Mopdecai

Fighting Games - F*** You Ryu.
« on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:24 »

So i was playing Capcom Fighting Jam the other day in a music store and I couldn't Ryu for the life of me.

I was wondering if this board can tell me what the best Street Fighter game was it always confuses me about these special moves, super specials etc. and Street Fighters occasional foray into 3D games. It seem to be the only fighter now that is still in 2D.

Also I can't pull off moves on a normal controller does anyone here own an arcade stick.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:37 »

It's not the only 2D one. marvel Vs Capcom/SNK, Guilty Gear, and there's one other. But it's a dwindling genre.

I'm quite a fan of SF2, myself. Pick one of te 80 versions of it and you're set.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

CaptainRansom

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2006, 09:41 »

I agree, Street Fighter 2 Turbo is pure awesome.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2006, 16:57 »

i prefer Street Fighter 2 Du Ma Hadoken yut yut Hyperfighting Extreme myself.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2006, 17:36 »

i own marvel versus capcom 2, street fighter 2, steet fighter anniversary edition, 3rd strike.

i play most and also capcom vs snk competitively
i own an "x-arcade" arcade stick.  the 100 dollar one .  woo.

i also play tekken 5

Anson

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2006, 23:55 »

I think I've wasted the most time playing Street Fighter 2, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

And I've always liked controllers better than arcade sticks. Mostly because the arcade sticks tend to be broken when I'm at the arcade....

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2006, 17:56 »

Hmmm... So what about the 3D version of Street Fighter are they any good

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2006, 19:41 »

3D?
Street Fighter 2?

HERESY!
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

BPMninja

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2006, 20:05 »

Def Jam: Fight for NYC  >  SF

Nothing beats slamming someone's head in with a baseball bat as Flava Flav.

NOTHING.

Narr

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2006, 21:22 »

Guilty Gear X2 > Street Fighter in every possible way.  Cooler character, more balanced characters, and kick ass music.

I will fuck your shit up with Potemkin and Venom.

Bunnyman

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2006, 21:54 »

I was always partial to Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel vs Capcom.

Then again, my strategy involved using Ryu, the only combo I knew (downbackpunch), and mashing the rest.

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2006, 05:16 »

So you definitely don't reccommend 3D versions of Street Fighter

nihilist

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2006, 06:38 »

SF2T and MK2 incited me to skip school in grade seven and eight.  My friend would snag a $20 from his mom every morning, and we'd blow it all.  Got to be hella awesome with those games...  However, when it came down to sheer enjoyment it'd be the arcade version of Soul Calibur, or playing SC2 on my Xbox in Iqaluit because there was nothing else to do.

Shale

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2006, 10:02 »

Quote from: Narr
Guilty Gear X2 > Street Fighter in every possible way.  Cooler character, more balanced characters, and kick ass music.

I will fuck your shit up with Potemkin and Venom.

Fuck that. Testament and Chipp will rock your face.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2006, 14:35 »

Chipp is for n00bs!

Jam and Slayer will pwn all'a y'all!

I agree the GGx2 has way better balance than SF. Plus, the characters are just so cool/weird!

Narr

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2006, 16:39 »

Chipp is terrible.  I mean, I'm okay with him and all, but I can't stand dying in 3 hits.  Worthless, if you ask me.  As for Testament, depending on the day, I'm either best with him or Venom.  I've got a pretty wicked 6 hit combo that most my friends throw a fit when I get it off.

I wish I was as good with Johnny as my best friend Jamison is.  Holy damn it, he wins.  I fear coins now, no joke.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2006, 17:11 »

Quote from: est
i prefer Street Fighter 2 Du Ma Hadoken yut yut Hyperfighting Extreme myself.

This wins the thread.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Shale

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2006, 17:15 »

Damn right about Johnny. Recoin can slaughter you if he hits with...well, just about anything that knocks you down. Level three unblockable Mist Finer...that hurts just remembering it.

And I know Chipp isn't the best character out there (by far), but neither is Testament. and he's not that bad; people win respectable tournaments with him, and he's got enough tricks to avoid hits and sort of mitigate his crap-ass defense. Besides, I like their playing styles; Testament - who I play most of the time - is all about strategy and positioning and traps, while Chipp's game is pure speed and offense; hell part of the reason I like him is probably because that style is so opposite to Testament's. Sometimes the last thing I want to do when I play the game is think.

Narr

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2006, 17:20 »

I hate Chipp mostly because of his teleportation ability.  I use it ON ACCIDENT far often than I use it because I mean to, and 9 time out of 10, it gets me in a situation I'd really rather not be in.  Same reason I don't like Jam.  I use her power-up things way too often, which don't ever really help anyway.

I like Potemkin because he's SLOW AS MOLASSES and then I whop out with a lightning quick 7 hit combo that puts on the pain.  Way awesome.

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2006, 17:57 »

Its funny this thread turned into games that I know nothing about tell me more about Guilty Gear

Narr

« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2006, 18:59 »

Take the speed of Capcom fighters and combine them with button inputs of King of Fighter games, then throw in as many rock references as humanly possible, and the outcome is Guilty Gear.

The music is pretty awesome rock stuff.  (I have the soundtrack, no bull.)  And the majority of that?  More rock references.  For example, the "main" character of the game, this dude here:
http://www.guiltygearx2reload.com/sol.htm
is like, the Queen reference of all Queen references.  His stage music is called "Keep Yourself Alive II" (there's a queen song called Keep Yourself Alive).  His real name is Frederick, after Freddy Mercury.  His psudonym he goes by is a reference to the Queen song, Mr. Badguy.  I believe lots of his attacks deal with songs of other artists.  (The vampire guy, Slayer [reference to the band Slayer] has lots of attacks taken from Queen lyrics.)

One of the stages is like the entire discography to Led Zeppelin (stage is called Zepp).  Ky, the Ken to Sol's Ryu, has a final move called Ride the Lightning ahile another guy, Testament, has a move called Master of Puppets.

I could go on, but I think you get the drift.

I suggest that if you like fighters, check out Guilty Gear X2.  (Isuka is mostly for fans of the series, to be honest.  It's not that great.)

Gryff

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2006, 19:00 »

Sure! It's a very Japanese one on one 2D fighting game. It's not too unlike Street Fighter in appearance, although the characters are way weirder (A girl who's actually a boy and who fights with a yo-yo, a doctor who fights with a giant scalpel and wears a paper bag over his head, a witch with an electric guitar etc.).

The fighting system is pretty cool too: it allows you to kind of create your own combos by cancelling recovery animations at the expense of your overdrive bar, and encourages you to be aggressive by giving you more overdrive the more you attack.

Plus, the music is way cool.

GGX2 has got to be up there with the best 2D fighting games in the world right now.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2006, 20:41 »

Wait... Testament, which is also a thrash metal band, has an attack called Master Of Puppets? Could they not have like, looked up one of Testament's own songs?

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2006, 16:08 »

Hmmm.. It doesn't surprise me to find that the Questionable content forum love a game which includes fighting and music.

Narr

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2006, 19:54 »

Quote from: Kai
Wait... Testament, which is also a thrash metal band, has an attack called Master Of Puppets? Could they not have like, looked up one of Testament's own songs?
It fits the character. He's, like, a vampire-ish looking guy with a scythe thingy that changes form.  He turns the scythe into a huge key thing, stabs the enemy, and if it connect, gives him powerups on some of his other moves.  Just because a guy is named for something, doesn't mean that EVERYTHING relating to the character has to do with one band.  It's just that their name does.  Sol's kinda the only exception to the rule.  Oh... and all the characters that belong to the Assassin's guild have something to do with Iron Maiden (Millia-Rage, Eddie, and Venom).

It's just a cool game.  One of the first ones that really captured my interest, when it comes to fighters, because every character is just so out there.

Bunnyman

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2006, 21:38 »

Holy shit, I forgot One Must Fall.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2006, 23:09 »

Quote from: Kai

Off the top of my head: Into the Pit, Trial by Fire, Burnt Offerings, Nightmare, Souls of Black, Do Not Resuscitate, Eyes of Wrath, and Electric Crown would all make kickass attack names.

Damn, I'm totally gonna listen to a shitload of Testament now.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Shale

• Plantmonster
« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2006, 10:50 »

He does have Nightmare Circular. And knowing the GGXX designers, that's probably intentional. Other references just in the character names include Enuff Z'nuf (Chipp's full name is Chipp Zanuff), Axl Low, Dizzy (another GnR reference!), Zappa, Venom, and Kuradoberi (Cloudberry) Jam.

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2006, 09:02 »

Hmmm... Any over fighting games that you recommend what about Tekken

Narr

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2006, 19:49 »

*pukes at Tekken*

The only 3d fighting series worth the time, in my not so humble opinion, are the Soul Calibur ones.  And if you're a crazy Southern Californian fighting game fan (which means you look to exploit everything possible), Soul Calibur 3 isn't that good because there are some glitches that can be exploited to win (although I don't know how to do any of them so I find the game to be quite really awesome.)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 01 Mar 2006, 23:20 »

Capcom games can go to hell.

Samurai Shodown is the end-all be-all of classic 2D fighters.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Gryff

« Reply #31 on: 02 Mar 2006, 15:52 »

If you're talking 3D fighters, Virtua Fighter is the king, in my opinion. The fighting system is very technical but quite intuitive. It's the sort of game where if you're good, you will beat newcomers or mashers every time. There's nothing worse thangetting beaten by a newbie in Tekken when you've been practising for days.

I still enjoy Tekken for a bit of a smash-fest though.

Shale

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 02 Mar 2006, 17:07 »

Speaking of Soul Calibur, SC3 is coming to arcades, in a new, improved, and non-glitched-to-hell (READ: "maybe they finished it this time!") version. Damn shame aboutt he "arcades are dying a slow, painful death" thing.

Shadowlink137

« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2006, 18:04 »

HADOKEN

that is all.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2006, 17:00 »

i wanted to play guilty gear for a long time and one day i rented it and i noticed the disc was purple or some other weird color and it wouldnt play in my ps2. i was not stoked. oh well.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Narr

« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2006, 08:03 »

You must have got GGX, which was the first one.  The second one is much better (same music, but played with real instruments rather than synthed ones, slightly more characters, rebalanced characters) and it's on a regular DVD.  Blueback discs are read with a different laser in PS2s, and that laser is notorious for being a piece of shit on earlier verions of the console.

Speaking of Guilty Gear X2, I have the soundtrack.  Venom's stage music = the fucking win and a half.
Pages: [1]   Go Up