THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: omg teh telecaster!  (Read 6529 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
omg teh telecaster!
« on: 30 Mar 2006, 14:47 »

I'm trading in my mid-90's Epiphone Firebird for what will probably be a Squier Tele Custom. Hurr, I spent most of my money on a Big Muff and a GBA. =/ Note to self: need a new job.

The Firebird's just too much of a hassle for me. No amount of tweaking of the bridge/tailpiece/truss rod can make the high e string not buzz when i play it open. Also it is GIGANTIC, and it's no fun lugging it around in an even bigger case. Double also, I've always had a thing for Telecasters, especially with humbuckers.

Has anyone played the Squier, and if so..decent for the price? The store wants $220 for it. I figure the f-bird should get probably $250-300 (I bought it slightly used from them for $520 and it's probably in better shape then when I got it).
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2006, 14:49 »

Besides that freaking slight buzz, probably in better shape. Those dudes can more than likely fix it before reselling anyway.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Spartan Pho3nix

omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2006, 22:54 »

Teh Tele? Teh Noes! Teh Strat!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2006, 23:08 »

Or buy a guitar made by someone other than Fender. Unless you get a Strat with a decent number of coils.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2006, 23:45 »

These two are incorrect, telecasters are the only decent fenders there are. However getting the squier kind of defeats that purpose as well. My suggestion, for a cheap price range, is Ibanez, you won't find a better guitar in the 200-300 range than an Iby. I swear by Ibanez, and was almost glad when my squier strat got stolen. Fenders (bar a good telecaster) have zero balls, where as an Ibanez is much more bang for your buck.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:29 »

Okay, the last three replies are entirely subjective and should be disregarded, because this is about what you want, not what they think you should get.

Fact is, Teles are undisputably one of the greatest guitars ever made, they've been around for what, fifty years? Ditto to Strats.

I gig with a Squier Tele on a weekly basis and have done for two years. I can wholeheartedly recommend you buy one, especially at that price.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2006, 09:04 »

I have a Fender American Strat, it seems like a good enough guitar to me.  I dont know hwat the deal with hating on Fender is, my roomie has a huge hate on for them.  Apparently Fender make univerasally crappy guitars with absolutely no redeeming quilitys.  Which clearly points out that his opinion should be adisregarded since is biased.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

valley_parade

• coprophage
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:02 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
decent number of coils.

Tele Custom = dual humbuckers (the Squier. Fender's reissue is HS. I'm wondering why they're calling it a "Custom" when it's more Telecaster Deluxe)

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Fact is, Teles are undisputably one of the greatest guitars ever made, they've been around for what, fifty years? Ditto to Strats.

Been around that long (55 years, I think the first Broadcaster was in '51), something's telling me it's a pretty good choice.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:39 »

I'm going to make another suggestion. If money is an object ... which it always is ... try out a Yamaha Pacifica. I have one, a 402S, a telecaster rip off, sort off and I'm ... happy.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006, 14:32 »

I think the Telecaster is the most versatile guitar there is. It has a very malleable sound. I mean, it's used by both Belle and Sebastian and Mogwai.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2006, 22:49 »

Okay, the last three replies are entirely subjective and should be disregarded, because this is about what you want, not what they think you should get.

I gig with a Squier Tele on a weekly basis and have done for two years. I can wholeheartedly recommend you buy one, especially at that price.

Do you even realize the irony here?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2006, 02:48 »

Do you even realize the irony here?

Of course. But to be fair, my reply was less biased than yours, because I didn't just say 'these guitars are crap.' I pointed out my own experience with the guitar and that it works fine and that if it's what he wants, he should get it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2006, 14:13 »

I didn't say it was crap. I said there are much higher quality guitars for around the same price.

valley_parade

• coprophage
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2006, 16:50 »

I didn't say it was crap. I said there are much higher quality guitars for around the same price.

Not where I'm going.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #14 on: 01 Apr 2006, 16:59 »

The main problem with a low quality guitar line (and nobody can argue that the Squier is not a low quality line) is consinstency.  The tolerances just aren't high enough, which means the vast majority of them are garbage, but there are certainly some that are pretty good.

Quote from: Chesire Cat
I dont know hwat the deal with hating on Fender is

I can't stand playing on Fender basses.  The necks just seem so unwieldly.  Of course, I also can't stand Ibanez basses for exactly the opposite reason.  I like a large width neck, but I also like them thin.  They make quality instruments, just not for everyone, and they're really not built for speed.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

valley_parade

• coprophage
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #15 on: 01 Apr 2006, 17:58 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
The main problem with a low quality guitar line (and nobody can argue that the Squier is not a low quality line) is consinstency.  The tolerances just aren't high enough, which means the vast majority of them are garbage, but there are certainly some that are pretty good.

My first electric was an affinity series Strat. THAT was shit. But I tried the Tele when I was down at the shop a few weeks ago, and it seems like (at least through a Fender Frontman 25R and a Marshall AVT20) it's one of the "pretty good" ones. Which is about 75% of the reason that I want to get it. The other 25% being that I've always wanted a Telecaster with humbuckers.

Patatat

omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #16 on: 01 Apr 2006, 22:40 »

Don't be an idiot my friend. Save like maybe a hundred more dollars, and buy a Fender Made In Mexico Telecaster. Squier's are complete shit in my experience, and if you wanna save money. Buy an Agile telecaster, best bang for your buck anywhere. www.rondomusic.net

ayePod

omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #17 on: 03 Apr 2006, 07:50 »

Unless it's an older Squier Tele then I suggest buying the Fender Mexico brand. I play a '82 Silver Series Squier Tele and it plays beautifully but I've had the misfortune of handling the newer ones and they just don't compare.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #18 on: 03 Apr 2006, 10:38 »

That's nothing to do with it being a Squier. That's to do with any guitar made of wood. Wood is not constant.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #19 on: 03 Apr 2006, 15:36 »

That's nothing to do with it being a Squier. That's to do with any guitar made of wood. Wood is not constant.

Um...  Not entirely what I said.  I'm ignoring the whole wood thing.  I'm just talking about the quality of the construction.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
omg teh telecaster!
« Reply #20 on: 04 Apr 2006, 09:05 »

Um...  Not entirely what I said.  I'm ignoring the whole wood thing.  I'm just talking about the quality of the construction.

Fair enough. But the wood point still applies; you can never be ENTIRELY sure what you're getting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up