THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Night, And Good Luck  (Read 4378 times)

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
Good Night, And Good Luck
« on: 12 Feb 2006, 22:57 »

Cons: Very little action, movie moves almost entirely on by news clips/renditions of the shows.

Pros: This movie, however, works beautiful as an allegory for our current time. McCarthy sounds so much like Bush that it's almost insane. Also, the cinematography in this movie is brilliant. So many shots just take your breath away. The acting is also amazing. How they take a scene where no one says or does ANYTHING (all the news guys sitting around, waiting for the first edition of the paper in the bar) and make it so tension filled just with their expressions. Wow.

Basically, if you're wanting action or a lot to happen, this is not the movie for you. If you care about politics, or just want to see a brilliantly shot, very well-acted movie, go and see it.

Good night, and good luck.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 13:00 »

I saw this film a while ago. It was really great!

The previous post pretty much summed up what was good about it, but I would also like to add that the soundtrack was really cool. There was like a jazz band playing in a studio in the same building as the news programme, so you get all these gorgeous songs interspersing the scenes.

Well worth a watch! A rollicking rollercoaster of thrills, splills and fun for the whole family!

Last sentence may not be true

Zaarin

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:36 »

It went by so fast. I wish it had been longer, though I suppose the entire story was told.

Excellent film.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2006, 04:55 »

Great movie.

I especially loved it when they threw the car onto the football field and the ninjas blew it up. Fucking awesome.

heh heh
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Jarne

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:22 »

A quick question: Will this movie make sense to a fourteen year old such as myself? It looks good but I only know a bit about the era and I don't want to go see the movie and get confused.

Shale

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2006, 07:05 »

You'd want to read up on the general path that McCarthyism took; the movie does a good job of walking you through Edward R. Murrow's story, but has very little background on the political situation at large.

Pesonally, I loved the film, but that really wasn't surprising; I'm a liberal journalist history buff who's also a big fan of both David Strathairn as an actor and George Clooney as a director. So...yeah, this was pretty much made specifically for me.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

minignome

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2006, 11:11 »

I'm 22 and went to see this film with my parents who both lived through the times that this was happening.  I knew the story vaguely from high school and I think I enjoyed it much more than they did.

It seems like the movie doesn't add much to the story, it just tells it straight out.  So if you are very familiar with the story you may get bored.  My step-mother ended up getting up and leaving.  Another problem with it is that the only thing it does add (the Robert Downey Jr. relationship) is a let down near the end (I don't want to ruin it.)

Overall though, I really enjoyed the film.  I think it's worth seeing even though it probably won't win any of the many awards it is up for.

Grumpus

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2006, 03:50 »

I'm 15 and i thouroghly enjoyed it for so many reasons. But then I am a complete film history and politics nerd so I don't think many other people my age would enjoy it.

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2006, 17:13 »

Based on everyone's positive reviews I feel compelled to see it now... thanks.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2006, 18:44 »

it comes out on DVD Tuesday, and I can't wait. This is one of the few movies that had me beaming throughout most of it because of how good it was

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:55 »

GNGL is a top class movie.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Ravenbomb

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2006, 20:54 »

just watched it again. Great movie, great dialogue
"He just won't have Christmas presents for his kids."
"He's a jew."
"Don't tell him that, he loves Christmas."

ashere65

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:12 »

i'd recommend this movie to anyone with a beating heart and some common sense
Pages: [1]   Go Up