THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry Pratchet's Discworld appreciation thread...  (Read 18911 times)

Disgustipated

Terry Pratchet's Discworld appreciation thread...
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2006, 15:02 »

Death of Rats is easily my favourite.

"SQUEAK"

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2006, 15:27 »

as i said somewhere else, Small gods would make a good movie, but not a lot of the books would translate that well

edit: and i want more assassin's guild books damnit
pyramids is one of my favourites
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

angua

« Reply #52 on: 06 Mar 2006, 14:27 »

loved every book, i think they're getting better and better.
started with the johnny books, translated in dutch, then picked up the discworld ones, when i got older i started collecting them in english.
my boyfriend loves them too, so we hava a double collection!

when i want to read, but i don't know what to choose, i always can fall back on my DW collection. there must be some books i have read more than 10 times!

Iron Sun 254

« Reply #53 on: 07 Mar 2006, 08:00 »

I love them all.  Rincewind is actually my least favorite because he always seems the same.  I like characters who change.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #54 on: 08 Mar 2006, 19:46 »

I've only read about ten of his books (only...) but they've all been great.  Just finished Hogfather.  SQUEAK.

My favorite characters have to be Death, the Silver Horde, the Patrician, and the Luggage.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #55 on: 08 Mar 2006, 22:13 »

The patrician is SUCH a badass.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #56 on: 09 Mar 2006, 03:03 »

Quote from: Iron Sun 254
I love them all.  Rincewind is actually my least favorite because he always seems the same.  I like characters who change.

Personally, thats my favorite thing about Rincewind. He is like a shark, he has the perfect survival instinct: RUN LIKE HELL and he is damn good at it.

Still, I think the fact that he isn't as heavily used as he was early on in the series is a good thing, considering this.

Quote from: casull
The patrician is SUCH a badass.

Word, holmes.

I love the artwork of him in the Nanny Oggs cookbook, where its just him steepling his fingers, looking devious, and his recipe is just bread and water.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #57 on: 11 Mar 2006, 07:54 »

Something Pratchett did together with Neill Gaiman might be the funniest book ever written: Good Omens.

I highly recommend this to everyone wih a pulse, basically.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Chariot

« Reply #58 on: 15 Mar 2006, 17:19 »

mmmm, the greatness that is pratchett
Vimes is possibly my favorite character in any book, ever, but I like the fifth  elephant and Jingo way better than the night watch
who else can arrest an entire army?

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #59 on: 16 Mar 2006, 13:08 »

I've read almost all his books. Now I'm going to read them all again because I've seen this thread. Thanks a lot.

I can't really have a favourite chatacter because Pratchett's too good a writer to make me like any of his characters less than the others. His books are so full of life.

Jedit

« Reply #60 on: 19 Mar 2006, 14:38 »

I've been a Discworld fan long enough to see Equal Rites in paperback and think "Cool, a new Discworld novel!" - nice to see so many of you like the OFiaH [1] too.

Some of my favourite quotes:

"It was you what done it, wasn't it?"

"We buried [Mr Ogg] twenty years ago.  Well, we had to.  He was dead."

"We all know it was you what done it, own up."

Get the fpoone oute of thee jar, three tries for a penny

"Are you sure it wasn't you what done it?"

"TO SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST, PROTECT THE INNOCENT AND SERIOUSLY PROD BUTTOCK"

"Alright, alright, I did it!  Now please tell me what it was that I did!"

UPCOMING RELEASES, TO MAKE YOUR COLLECTIVE WILLY HARD:

May 2006 (estimated) - Wintersmith, the third Tiffany Aching novel.  (A fourth novel in the series may or may not be written; if it is, the title will be When I Am Old, I Shall Wear Midnight.)

November 2006 - Making Money, the sequel to Going Postal.

December 2006 - a two-part TV adaptation of Hogfather, with Ian Richardson voicing Death and David Jason playing Albert.  Airing on the BBC and coming soon after to a "third way" outlet near you.

[1] Old Fart in a Hat
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

lessthanfirst

« Reply #61 on: 26 Mar 2006, 11:00 »

Now that I think about it I haven't actually read all that many. I read Equal Rites in school, the only decent book in the library. And I used to own second hand copies of a few and got rid of them (Stupid of me, can't remember why I did it though). I read through The Colour of Magic third or fourth time round a while back and I'm going to buy The Light Fantastic (second time round) on the way home from college on the morrow if Smiths has it (they didn't the last time I looked ). Then, when I finish The Fellowship of the Ring it'll be pratchett again.

I've read Interesting Times and Carpe Juggulum (which was by far my favourite) as well, and I may have read Mort too.

tetsuotheironboy

« Reply #62 on: 04 Apr 2006, 04:55 »

just got given the 'guards guards' graphic novel for my birthday, its sorta cool seeing all the characters but i think whoever it is that illustrates the paperbacks should have drawn it for the sake of consistency and the darker tone of their drawings. Great news about the new animation, i used to have the 'Soul Music' animated film on a vhs taped off the telly but some swine taped over it (probably my mum recording the bloody ice skating or something equally as crappy) I think there was another one that got animated but for the life of me i can't remember which one, can anyone help? Thud! was pretty damn good, not one of his best but consistent and enjoyable just as all the Captain/Commander/Duke vimes books. Its my favourite character set by far but i do wish that pratchett would finish them off.

As a bit of fun, anyone wanna predict whats gonna happen with those guys in the end? Here are my good/evil endings for the watch...

*SPOILER WARNING*
THESE PREDICTIONS ARE BASED ON EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE DISCWORLD SERIES, ANYONE WHO HASN'T AT LEAST REACHED 'THE FIFTH ELEPHANT' IN THE CITY WATCH SERIES SHOULDN'T READ ON.

Unhappy Ending: Carrot is going attempts to take the throne of Ankh and Vimes is gonna have to put him down, the patrician'll die at some point and Vimes  ends up as patrician. Nobby and Sgt Colon will survive, probably by ducking into a doorway and having a cig when it all goes down. Angua will die by Carrots side, Vimes's son will take command of the watch.

Happy Ending 1: Carrot takes the throne with Vimes as commander of the watch and duke of ankh. Angua becomes queen and they have little werewolf babies. Nobby and Colon stay in the watch to train the next generation and guide Vimes' son through the ranks. Possibly Vimes retires and leaves the watch to his son.

Happy Ending 2: Vetinari dies of natural causes/assasination, Vimes gets elected as the next patrician, Carrot takes the watch as Commander with Angua as captain. Supporting characters receive various promotions, a couple of deaths here and there.

Basically he's got to kill off a couple of characters, the last watchman i remember dying was corporal cuddy in men at arms (or was it feet of clay?)
Given that Carrot or Vimes are gonna end up ruling ankh morpork, i'm tempted towards carrot because of vimes's distaste for power and politics. Detritus might get killed, same goes for angua, when she was thought dead it was gut-wrenching so i think she's got the most emotional significance. Sybil, sam jr, nobby, colon, cheri etc aren't really suitable for the chop, cheri doesn't have much significance, colon and nobby are perennial survivors (although nobby dying whilst doing the first honourable act of his life would be interesting), sam jr is needed for the inevitable 'discworld the next generation' and Vimes would never let anything happen to Sybil. That was a huge post and shows what a discworld nerd i am, are there any angles that i missed guys?

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #63 on: 06 Apr 2006, 07:04 »

I seriously need to get back to playing the MUD.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #64 on: 16 Apr 2006, 02:10 »

Jedit, you have just made my goddamned day with your news. I liked Lipvig more than I liked any other character in their first appearance, except for Granny Weatherwax, so I'd be real interested to see where they go with him.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jedit

« Reply #65 on: 16 Apr 2006, 03:39 »

RELEASE UPDATE:

August 2006: The 2007 Ankh-Morpork Post Office Handbook

October 2006: Wintersmith

November 2006: The Illustrated Hogfather Screenplay

Making Money appears to have been bumped.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Jedit

« Reply #66 on: 02 May 2006, 02:04 »

Update to the update: the official UK release date for Wintersmith has been confirmed as September 28th.  Cover art, blurb and a few photos from the Hogfather shoot here: http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

Phrozen

« Reply #67 on: 02 May 2006, 02:26 »

Favorite Characters:

Granny Weatherwax

Vimes(and Sybel, oh god Sybel is so awesome)

Patrician

Death(and Death of Rats as well as his sweet daughter)

The appearances of these characters determines how much I like a book.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up