THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: silent hill  (Read 11168 times)

soap

silent hill
« on: 06 Apr 2006, 18:46 »

once i heard this was in production i feared the worst (a uwe boll or paul w anderson style mauling) and i knew that whatever they did they would never be able to transfer the dark claustrophobic psychological assault of the games to the big screen.
but judging from the trailer this looks like it could be that rare thing - a watchable / not too cringeworthy video game movie!

although i could be entirely wrong and we get a weak patchy plot and clumsily used references to the game that fail miserably at pleasing the fanboys they were meant to appeal to, while simulteanously alienating the people who haven't played the game.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
silent hill
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2006, 18:55 »

i'm so incredibly excited for this movie there is no amount of electromagnetic fields that could contain me. Luc Gains is awesome (Brotherhood of the Wolf) and is an avid fan of the games, and with what I've seen of *lol no spoiler tags*one very pissed off pyramid head is enough to make me destroy asia with a semen tsunami.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
silent hill
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2006, 18:58 »

Quote from: beat mouse
with what I've seen of *lol no spoiler tags*one very pissed off pyramid head is enough to make me destroy asia with a semen tsunami.

wtf?

The movie looks like it could actually be kind of cool. Thanks soap - I didn't even know they were making this.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
silent hill
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2006, 21:52 »

I'm going to watch this so hard
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
silent hill
« Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2006, 22:45 »

I saw the trailer on TV and was impressed.  My roomies love horror film, even The Hills Have Eyes, and I keep letting them drag me to shite like Saw and Hostel so I had a mad hate for the genre, but Silent Hill look good.

And I havent played the games so I wont be as hard to please in that regards, so I am kinda excited.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
silent hill
« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2006, 03:03 »

Quote from: Gryff
wtf?

it's a good thing.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

That guy

silent hill
« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2006, 05:52 »

All I know is that it looks like it will mess with your mind, just like the game did.  As long as it destroys your world and shows you how broken your own sense of perceiving it is, all the while showing you the unmentionable horror that dwells inside you head,  I'll be happy.

nancygirl

silent hill
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2006, 06:15 »

I'm still kinda shit off about there being a female lead instead of a game character lead but....I'll still go see it whenever it is released here, which'll probably be months after the US release, and jism muchly.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
silent hill
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2006, 15:06 »

^^ I'm just going to pretend I didnt hear that or i'll have nightmares for years ;_; does remind me i need to get my chris cunningham dvd back though.

Rubby

• http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
silent hill
« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2006, 15:36 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
I saw the trailer on TV and was impressed.  My roomies love horror film, even The Hills Have Eyes, and I keep letting them drag me to shite like Saw and Hostel so I had a mad hate for the genre, but Silent Hill look good.

And I havent played the games so I wont be as hard to please in that regards, so I am kinda excited.

You hate the entire horror genre because of Saw and Hostel?

supatyouKERI

silent hill
« Reply #10 on: 09 Apr 2006, 16:16 »

My brother plays the game non stop.
The storyline seems enjoyable.
I think I'll go see it.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
silent hill
« Reply #11 on: 09 Apr 2006, 16:20 »

Hostel is a terrible movie. UGH!

But anyways!

Silent hill.Yes I think I shall see it. It's gotta be better than resident evil...

edscoble

silent hill
« Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2006, 16:26 »

I love the game, the first one in the Playstation, proper scary and it doesn't have to be in the night, a nice change than your common horror game/movie.

the first couple second of the trailer took me back to the original SH film, I hope it's pretty good and won't be a complete shite like the usual game to movie transformation.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
silent hill
« Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2006, 21:49 »

Quote from: Rubby

You hate the entire horror genre because of Saw and Hostel?

No, Ive been disappointed by countless horror movies like Saw and Hostel, they are just the worst offenders.  Ive liked very few recent horror movies, those being 28 Days Later, and the new Dawn of the Dead.  This one, actually looks like it will be good though, and thats something most horror movies dont have going for it.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Kukushka

silent hill
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2006, 00:34 »

the new Dawn of the Dead

Ugh, you have to be joking. That movie was absolutely horrid compared to the original. I hated it, and I usually like anything and everything that has zombies. Zombies and robots, therein lie my creepy passions.

I've somehow managed to never play any of the games. Every so often I will see one while I am at the store, I've always picked it up and said "hey, this looks really interesting... I should get it!" But every single time, something has gotten in the way. Whether it's that I have to be somewhere and don't have time to buy it, or I don't have any money, or I came to buy a different game and can't afford two, or something. But I've never played them. Terrible.

This trailer looks fantastic, though. I do wish we could get something a little different from the "creepy little girl with long hair in her face" thing that the horror genre has been capitalizing on lately, but hey, if it works it works. Methinks I shall see this one. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know they were making it!

edscoble

silent hill
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2006, 04:22 »

Quote from: Kukushka
the new Dawn of the Dead

Ugh, you have to be joking. That movie was absolutely horrid compared to the original. I hated it, and I usually like anything and everything that has zombies. Zombies and robots, therein lie my creepy passions.

gotta admitted that Shaun of the Dead is real cracking thought! :D however Dawn of the Dead is much better than Romeo's recently zombie movie; Land of the Dead, it was awful! nice idea, but God he ruined his own classic!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/

Quote from: Nolaw_Nocrime

Silent hill.Yes I think I shall see it. It's gotta be better than resident evil...

It have to be, I love the Resident Evil game, but the movie completely ruined it.

Kukushka

silent hill
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2006, 08:30 »

Quote from: edscoble
gotta admitted that Shaun of the Dead is real cracking thought! :D however Dawn of the Dead is much better than Romeo's recently zombie movie; Land of the Dead, it was awful! nice idea, but God he ruined his own classic!

I loved Shaun of the Dead! I thought it was absolutly fantastic. Very funny :)

I actually liked Land of the Dead. The acting was pretty bad and it was just a little too heavy on the social commentary, but the world was beautiful. The idea was awesome. It's never going to be one of my favorite movies or anything, but I certainly didn't walk out of the theater thinking "wow, that was a waste of an afternoon...." I did, however, feel that way about Dawn of the Dead.

Why? I think it was partially because I loved the original so much that this just felt wrong. I mean, you have something like the remake to Night of the Living Dead that took all the good parts of the original and made them even better. But this... It struck me as just another movie, nothing grade A about it.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly, another major thing I didn't like about it was that they weren't true to zombiness. The zombies could run, they could move like anyone else. A zombie is partially decomposed flesh, to think that all the joints and muscles would still be up to par is just... bleagh. It struck me as a cheap trick, breaking the rules just to make it a bit scarier. It was one thing in 28 Days Later because they changed the whole nature of zombiness and made it more like rabbies. But if you are going to call it a zombie, don't have it be a runner.

edscoble

silent hill
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2006, 08:45 »

Despite the fact Land of the Dead was awful (the acting, the script, etc.) but I still like it, the visual effect is pretty good despite some awful CGI (like the part where the rocket hit the checkpoint of the city) thought we still see Romeo's trademark gore, like when a zombie tear someone face from mouth to head.

the zombie could run if it were young, but rose from the dead (like the cemetery of recent burial) they'd walk, however, I'd think they'd try and learn how to walk because they've just been 'born' once the body is dead.

Kukushka

silent hill
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2006, 10:28 »

I just can't see a decomposing corpse sprinting. To me, it makes it cheesy. The slowness is half the scary of zombies. It's like Mike Meyers. He never runs, just walks, yet he's always right behind you. That is intensely creepy.

When the zombie runs, it just looks silly. Like I said, it's breaking the rules for a cheap effect that, I think, really takes away from what makes zombies special. And while I do understand that a new zombie that hasn't decomposed much might possibly run, there's still things like rigor mortis to consider. Taking the stiffness of death away from zombies makes them less like the walking dead. That's what I loved about the Romero movies, it made us face the reality of death. Sprinting zombies strikes me of more a fantasy version of what death is, it puts a filter between me and death so that I am no longer scared by mortality, but rather by cheap creep-tactics.

supatyouKERI

silent hill
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2006, 13:05 »

On the subject of bad horror movies, anyone see underworld 2?
absolute shit.

Kukushka

silent hill
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2006, 16:12 »

I saw the first one, that was enough. Oy.

edscoble

silent hill
« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2006, 16:28 »

Quote from: Spinless

Apparently, film critics haven't bought into it though. They don't play videogames, they are lamorz.

I think it's mainly that they didn't fully understood the movie, e.g. especially when the many evil demon attacking, while in fact, are trapped soul isn't it? (I hasn't seen it yet, just waiting for the DVD as always)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
silent hill
« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2006, 16:53 »

holy cow i just saw this movie last night and it was awesome. pyramidhead was everything he needed to be and more. and the nurses! oh god the nurses. so many memories.
seriously go see this movie.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

That guy

silent hill
« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2006, 06:53 »

NO SPOILERS

Like the games, it was dark, really dark.  Lots of hate and pain and blood and tears.  A delightful romp for the whole family.

Sylph

silent hill
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2006, 08:14 »

Quote from: Dan Kim
To whoever did the dialogue: death by rectal prolapse
To the art director: death by blowjobs from hot lolis
To the actors: coupons for free acting lessons
To Sean Bean: The Ring of Power

That's about right in my opinion.

So far everything I've read and heard from other people says that the script blew, the same old story with trying to appeal to as many people as possible which degraded the whole experience. It was just extremely well directed and the visual concept was exactly what people would expect.

I still think that games into movie, while is a nice idea, is doomed to fail mostly.

I'll just keep to my silent hill comics for the moment.

ashley

silent hill
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2006, 10:20 »

I really enjoyed this movie! Not as much as I enjoyed the games, though.
I'm really glad that it wasn't a pop-up-in-your-face kind of scary. I'm getting sick of those movies.
What really amused me, though, is when Cybil looked like she wanted to make out with Rose when they were in that one room and Pyramid Head was all GIANTSWORD!BLOORGH!

..but that's just me >.>

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
silent hill
« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2006, 18:23 »

I thought it was fucking great.

I've been learning to play the theme on the guitar. only appears once in the film, at the very beginning before it actually starts. the one with the creepy quick guitar. It's good fun tremolo practice, which is important in the kind of music I like.
also israel

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
silent hill
« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2006, 04:22 »

It's out? Bastards! I can't wait for it to come out here. I'm going to drag my girlfriend along and get terrified. w00t!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Tinjessla

silent hill
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2006, 15:55 »

I've just got back from seeing it with my flatmate and it's a decent film! I haven't played the games, but i was suitably creeped out. Especially by that freakish 'spitting out black acid'...thing. It was very un-nerving how you could always slightly see certain monsters approaching from the shadows.

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
  • I lie to myself constantly!
silent hill
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2006, 22:04 »

There were some of the hottest monsters in this movie. Those, my friend said they were nurses, in the basement were well equipt in the chest area, and I had to laugh when they were tearing each other up. The acid spitting was cool, wish that was all it would take to get a girl outta her clothes. There were quite a few places where my friends and I were laughing out loud. It was great.

Moral of the story: Don't adopt the spawn of Satan.
Quote from: Blue Kitty
"Man, why is it that whores find my Myspace?  I mean, my name is the Blue Kitty, not, 'Hey whore, I will add you'"

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
silent hill
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2006, 03:19 »

Quote from: qtownstegy
wish that was all it would take to get a girl outta her clothes.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who had a thing for Cybil the dyke cop.
also israel

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
silent hill
« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2006, 01:48 »

Thing is, there's just not enough story in the games to make up a whole movie. I mean, it worked for the game, because you had all that running around trying to not die to distract you. and I don't think they could have made a 2nd silent hill film, and they couldn't leave PyramidHead out of the movie. C'mon. c'maaaaaaaawwwn.
also israel

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
silent hill
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2006, 13:30 »

My favorite "monster" from the film was The Janitor. (img below)

There's a few reasons for this, but mostly it's because he wasn't onscreen for long, he didn't hurt anyone (but he looked scary) and I don't know wtf that shit was with the shit on the walls when he was crawling, but that was freaky. It's the unknown and speculation that I like so much about him. What can he do if he gets his mits on someone? what's with those growths where his corruption spreads? where did he come from, to begin with? Why does he has physical manifestation in the non-darkness world? (albeit impotent)

Also, I really love his throaty rasping yell. In horror movies monsters similar always have very unhuman voices, but his gives it an indescribable level of creepiness. a reveal of humanity in a corrupted, dangerous and tortured shell.

It's unexpected, mysterious and fascinating.

From Wikipedia:
"Janitor - A creature created specifically for the film. The Janitor was discovered by Rose in the Midwich Elementary School washroom. He resembles a man bound by barbed wire, wearing a ripped Janitor's uniform with the name "Colin". He's discovered in the same bathroom stall where a janitor named Colin raped young Alessa years before. It is presumed he was transformed into a monster by her nightmares. After the shift to the otherworld he escapes his confines and crawls towards Rose, tounge lashing up and down, and feet still bound to the back of his head in such a way that he can no longer stimulate himself sexually. When he touches the wall it decays and holes appear that spawn creepers."
also israel

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
silent hill
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2006, 17:58 »

we took a friend along to see it earlier today (yesterday, actually, given the time I'm posting this at)

I was impressed. They got it right. Even though I've never played the games, I still think that was a film done well, and not the travesty I was expecting. Plenty of creepy bits, the occasional real scare, and probably three of the nastiest on-screen deaths i've seen (not to mention one nasty on-screen human mutilation/barbeque)

The moment that stood out most for me was the sirens. those were fething good sirens.

The ending ruled as well. They survive, they go home... but they don't see anyone, and when they get back, they're still in that fog-filled zone seperated from the real world. I feel bad for Sean Bean's character - he never learned any answers.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
silent hill
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2006, 18:52 »

Quote from: Everyone who's seen it
Awesome film

AGREED!

I smiled like a fucking sailor throughout the entire thing. I'm so glad they used the music from the games, especially the Angela suicide theme on piano... Man that nearly bought a tear to my eye.

I am so glad that the film didn't just throw the plot in your face. One thing I love about all the games is their open-endedness. Once you've played them, on you go to forums and such and WOOO THEORIES, TRUTHS, THINGS YOU MISSED hooray! I could read a silent hill discussion board for days. I think I'm actually going to see this film again in the cinema. It's the only film I've wanted to watch again straight after seeing it the first time.

Does anyone else think the church full of barbed wire and Alessa dancing Clarabella's blood amongst other things deserves a place in the most awesome sights on screen of the last few years?

I DO
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Phrozen

silent hill
« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2006, 20:24 »

The girl who plays Alessa is unnerving. I hope she does well.

ayePod

silent hill
« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2006, 04:19 »

I would have to say that this is by far the best game to movie production ever.

Yes,it's good enough to beat Doom.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
silent hill
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2006, 13:04 »

Quote from: Spinless
But Doom was...
Nevermind.

You're right, Doom WAS amazing. I completely agree.

Shaft

• Bass Cleft
silent hill
« Reply #38 on: 06 May 2006, 21:54 »

My only gripe with doom was that he never said "CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL... WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING"
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Shaft

• Bass Cleft
silent hill
« Reply #39 on: 08 May 2006, 04:52 »

Ok so I may have been lying when I said it was my only gripe.

drpepper_phd

• Plantmonster
silent hill
« Reply #40 on: 08 May 2006, 08:27 »

I was so pumped for this film once I heard they were really going to make a movie out of it, but it was so... boring! Nothing was that disturbing or scary. Silent Hill is all about creating atmosphere so that it's your own paranoia and subconscious that makes the game scary, I just didn't feel that the movie did that at all. The scene with Alessia and the barbed wire was kickass though. And it was pretty cool they included Pyramid Head in the movie.

After seeing this I'm kinda worried about how the Fatal Frame movie will turn out now...
You know the taste of love- http://lamb.atspace.us/">Lemonade and Manic Blue.--Twin sister's Webmanga
Pages: [1]   Go Up