THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold  (Read 6421 times)

Bernius

'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold
« on: 11 Apr 2006, 19:04 »

I searched to see if anyone had mentioned this, but I couldn't find anything. Has anybody else read it?

siatefelici

« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:18 »

haven't read the lovely bones but i have read her biography lucky
very moving

Bernius

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:41 »

Ooh. I may have to keep an eye out for that :)

nancygirl

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2006, 07:10 »

If it's the same book that I'm thinking of, yes I have read it and I enjoyed it. Well, as much as someone can enjoy reading a book like that. Interesting use of narration/perspective/POV though

Maximo Bean

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2006, 07:28 »

It haunted me.
I didn't finish it.

nescience

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2006, 11:55 »

I read it.

I thought it was lame.

Bernius

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2006, 17:20 »

I agree - Some parts were lame. It was really strange though. When I started reading it, I found out a lady I knew was really sick and didn't have long to go. I found out she passed away on the day I finished it... and after I finished reading it [at about 3am], I got up to turn out my light, and I looked down the dark hallway outside my room, and I was almost positive I saw something, and it really looked like the lady who had passed away. Heh, it was probably the book playing on my mind, but it still freaked me out enough to run into bed and pull the covers over my head.

visceralviscous

• Emoticontraindication
    • lastfm!
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2006, 19:54 »

i've read both that and lucky, which, as mentioned above, is her autobio.. lovely bones does have a couple cheesy moments. however, i think it was pretty much well-written, and more interesting than one might expect from first glance. not my favorite book by any means, just a decent read.

strawberrybumfluff

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2006, 16:54 »

Gorgeous, haunting book. Can't wait for the movie.

Hustler

• Emoticontraindication
    • Nuclear Powered Toaster- A light-hearted look at a rather dark future.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2006, 23:33 »

I read part of it for a class I had freshman year of college.  The premise was definitely interesting, but I wasn't incredibly thrilled with the execution.  Plus, I just don't think this was a very guy-friendly book.  Which is to be expected, since the class had thirteen females, with me as the sole representation for the male gender.  I did get them to read Fight Club later on the semester, though, so it all balanced out.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2006, 16:49 »

I read the book in seventh grade for a book report (not such a good choice at all)
But even then, I thought it was incredible, and now, two years later, it's still one of my favorite books.  (save The Poisonwood Bible)

Gillian Kauffe

« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2006, 10:55 »

I'm sure fans of the book would be delighted to know (if they didn't already) that a movie is in the works and will be released in 2007. Not much info on it as yet, all that is known is that Peter Jackson is directing it. It'll be good seeing him direct another low budget film. After all, you gotta love his 'bad taste' film.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2006, 01:52 »

My mother, sister and sisters best friend are all reading this book. I have no want or need to read such a book. I just thought that it was weird that I hear about this book on Monday and theres a thread about it Wednesday. (My Wednesday)
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

soft_repose

« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2006, 07:32 »

I liked it well enough.  I thought it was interesting that the narrator was actually a dead girl.  I gave stuff away right there but if you decide to read it you will find that out on the first page of the book, so don't flip. =)

TackyVintage

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2006, 08:47 »

I read it, it was a book of the month in our school. It was an OK novel, not my cup o' tea though.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2006, 12:09 »

Call me shallow,but I am hardly able to stomach any form of storytelling that involves rape..much less rape/murder. Not saying it's a bad book,but I am totally a wimp.
Hate, rain on me
Pages: [1]   Go Up