THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 08:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 4728 times)

alyosha

Pearl Jam
« on: 17 Apr 2006, 10:24 »

Somewhat mainstream for these forums, I know, but I saw someone else post about "Vitology" so I thought maybe I'd give this discussion a try...

Pearl Jam's albums always have at least 1 somg that completely blows me ayay.  eg "Black" on 10 or "Yellow Leadbedder" on Vitology.  They are a really talented band that, when they live up to their true potential, sound as if they are posessed by Hendrix himself.

SO, that being said...

Everything I've heard off of their new album is absolute crap.  I keep waiting to hear that "completely blow me away" song, and it just hasn't arrived.  People on these forums seem to know and appreciate music.  So, if anyone has found this song on Pearl Jam's new album, tell me, and I'll go out and buy it (or at least download the song).  

I realize the album itself hasn;t come out yet, but the radio's already played a couple of singles off of it.  SO, if anyone can help me, please do...

edcho7000

Pearl Jam
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2006, 10:55 »

i don't think Yellow Leadbedder is on vitology.  i think it's a b side or something off a sound track.  i liked their stuff until yield, and i only liked some of yield.  i thought no code was a very underrated album, and i liked the raw "live" sound of that disc.  eddie vedder's voice, which i used to love, either changed and got crappier or i just don't like it anymore.

TrueNeutral

Pearl Jam
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:15 »

Yeah, that was me posting about Vitalogy. I'm a big Pearl Jam fan. And no, Yellow Ledbetter was not on Vitalogy. Personally, my favourite song from Vitalogy is Tremor Christ.

That said, if you didn't like the songs that came out, then I can't tell you anything, because personally, I love the entire leaked version of the album.

alyosha

Pearl Jam
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:16 »

sorry, it was corduroy on VItalogy.  Yellow Leadbetter was the highlight of "Lost Dogs" which was, indeed, a collection of B-sides...

Form what I've heard lately, they just don;t have the raw instrumental power that they once had.  I sw them live about a year ago, and they just weren;t up to snuff.

TrueNeutral

Pearl Jam
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:25 »

I liked Corduroy, but hearing it twenty times a day kind of killed it for me. Also, my favourite on Lost Dogs is Footsteps, but probably only because it completes The Mamasan Trilogy on disc for me. I think the best track of The Avocado Album is Army Reserve.

I think this album isn't really up to their usual stuff either, but their bad stuff is still better than most bands good stuff. I think it suffers from them trying to make it a 'return to form' album, it sounds a lot more like their earlier stuff such as Ten, VS and Vitalogy, as opposed to their recent stuff. They almost come off like ripoffs of themselves.

nobody

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Pearl Jam
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2006, 12:33 »

i like their first three albums, actually vitology was my favorite, Spin the black circle! spin! spin! spin the black spin the black!! thats one of my favorite songs and has been since it came out, even if i sometimes go years without hearing it. the later stuff i never got into, i've listened to most of it once, and none of it ever caught me. ten and vs are good solid albums and vitology is great, the music and the whole package
I have trouble deciding if i'm being sarcastic or not.

TrueNeutral

Pearl Jam
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2006, 12:49 »

Actually, I take it back. The blow-you-away-track of The Avocado Album is Gone.

nescience

Pearl Jam
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2006, 14:42 »

FIRST CONCERT EVER PEARL JAM WALLFLOWERS & SEAN LENNON AT MEMORIAL STADIUM IN SEATTLE LOL SONS OF ROCK GODS OPEN FOR PEARL JAM ROKKKKKK

It was pretty fun.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Pearl Jam
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2006, 15:49 »

no one mentioned Vs.
i think thats my favorite pearl jam album. it was one of the three tapes i owned till i was about 13 or something.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Pearl Jam
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2006, 18:25 »

Footsteps and Yellow Led. both came off a Jeremy single, or at least I have a older Jeremy single that contains both tracks.

Pearl Jam has a ton of great songs, but I agree that they're definatly past their prime.  Everything off 10 is solid stuff, and Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small town is probably one of my favorite songs ever.

Narr

Pearl Jam
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2006, 19:31 »

Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, as well.  I was an accidental grunge child, sitting in my room trying to listen to Beethoven and Bach while my brother listened to Soundgarden and Pearl Jam at incredibly high volumes.  Then I developed a sense for, you know, contemporary music, and found out that I really liked those bands after all.  Weird how that works.

As for their new album, I hadn't even heard about it.  I never listen to the radio, and even if I did, the only station I get out here is some crappy country station.

I have to nominate "rearviewmirror" as possibly the best "Best Of" compliation of any band, ever made.  I like pretty much every song on both CDs.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Pearl Jam
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2006, 17:16 »

I dig No Code best of all. 'Smile' is a great song, so ragged and harmonica'd. Pearl Jam are a band that I used to love, and who will always have a place in my heart, but who I don't listen to that much anymore. Maybe I've heard their songs too much on "classic rock" radio.

I haven't heard the new album but my expectations are low.

tetsuotheironboy

Pearl Jam
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2006, 14:28 »

gotta love pearl jam, not as huge over here in the UK though or at least thats how it seems. Unluckily i got into them around the age of 16 shortly after they'd toured the UK to promote Binaural. I did alot of that sort of thing at the time, becoming obsessed with the smashing pumpkins a couple of weeks after their farewell tour, missing out on Leeds Festival 2000 when rage against the machine were my favourite band and that gig turning out to be their last ever UK live performance. D'oh! Still hoping to see pearl jam live someday, favourite album has to be vs. Dissident, Go, Rearviewmirror and Daughter kick serious anthemic-rock ass.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Pearl Jam
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2006, 16:22 »

Misty watercoloured memories, ah...Pearl Jam.  I was, and this is seriously dating me, fifteen when Ten was released.  That whole "scene" was ridiculously important at the time.  
Of course, these things don't last....  Plaids and docks gave way to more sensible boots and blacks.  Given that, Pearl Jam are a good rock band and a great live band.  The got me offa the Bon Jovi, which would in turn, lead in a round about way to the NIN and Skinny Puppy thing to now, with more all over the place tastes.
I've heard most of the new album.  It's allright.  It's Pearl Jam.  They stay the course for the most part and do it very well.

Outshined

Pearl Jam
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2006, 14:05 »

My general opinion is that Pearl Jam started out really great, and then somewhere along the line lost that passon and energy.  The modern albums, to me at least, sound like hollow, apathetic echoes of their previous efforts.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Re: Pearl Jam
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2006, 09:56 »

Quote from: alyosha
Somewhat mainstream for these forums, I know, but I saw someone else post about "Vitology" so I thought maybe I'd give this discussion a try...

Pearl Jam's albums always have at least 1 somg that completely blows me ayay.  eg "Black" on 10 or "Yellow Leadbedder" on Vitology.  They are a really talented band that, when they live up to their true potential, sound as if they are posessed by Hendrix himself.

SO, that being said...

Everything I've heard off of their new album is absolute crap.  I keep waiting to hear that "completely blow me away" song, and it just hasn't arrived.  People on these forums seem to know and appreciate music.  So, if anyone has found this song on Pearl Jam's new album, tell me, and I'll go out and buy it (or at least download the song).  

I realize the album itself hasn;t come out yet, but the radio's already played a couple of singles off of it.  SO, if anyone can help me, please do...
too bad yellow ledbedder was never officially released until i think it was last year.

fuck the rest of this post and thread. and this band. that is all.
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Pearl Jam
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2006, 09:58 »

Quote from: Gryff
Maybe I've heard their songs too much on "classic rock" radio.

worst reason ever for anything at all.
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX
Pages: [1]   Go Up