THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tool Album Leaked  (Read 50060 times)

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #150 on: 29 Apr 2006, 01:05 »

First, bloody hell that's a huge avatar.

Second, James LaBrie oversings so horribly on occasion it makes my head spin much like the little girl from the Excorcist. In fact all the traits of supposed Tool fans mentioned in this here thread went double for all the Dream Theater fans back in my own high school.

I quite enjoyed Mike Patton's work with Lovage, though most of that is probably due to Dan the Automator and Jennifer Charles working with him.

normz

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #151 on: 29 Apr 2006, 04:29 »

I am going to openly admit that I got the new albumn today and squealed with glee as i ripped off the plastic packaging and flipped through the AWESOME visuals that accompany the albumn ... you get special glasses that make everything look hella trippy and the sound is crisp and fresha nd lush and toolishly good

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #152 on: 29 Apr 2006, 10:34 »

Yeah, the CD case is the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen a CD come in. And I can't figure out why in the pairs of pictures, they have these incredibly subtle, almost unnoticable differences between each picture. I love the album, but I'm starting to think that Tool have gone over the deep end.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #153 on: 29 Apr 2006, 14:45 »

For me the biggest problem with Tool is not that they are particularly bad, but that their fans think they are the most amazing prog band ever, and absolutely worship Maynard. In reality they are a unique but still fairly average musically prog alternative rock band.

This is basically what everyone has been saying.  Same goes for a lot of Dream Theater fans.

PS Since when has Mastodon been metalcore?  

PPS Everytime someone writes DT in reference to Dream Theater, I think Dark Tranquillity.  I like them more.  They aren't incredibly virtuosic, but they write good songs.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #154 on: 29 Apr 2006, 14:47 »

...and the ability to write a song, you know, head and a tail and all, is overlooked in prog-circles, I find.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #155 on: 29 Apr 2006, 15:46 »

Quote from: Borondir

PPS Everytime someone writes DT in reference to Dream Theater, I think Dark Tranquillity.  I like them more.  They aren't incredibly virtuosic, but they write good songs.

Yahr, same. It confuzzles the hell out of me.

Lets now talk about how The Gallery is better than Tools entire discography.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #156 on: 29 Apr 2006, 15:51 »

Exactly...

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #157 on: 29 Apr 2006, 15:53 »

I wrote exactly in reference to BeoPuppy's observation about prog songwriting...but it refers equally to what you said Khar...the Gallery is mindblowing...

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #158 on: 29 Apr 2006, 21:32 »

Mastodon is real metal, but they are inexplicably lumped in with metalcore, and thus sell records despite being a good band. Go figure.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

SeanTheFilmGuy

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #159 on: 29 Apr 2006, 23:31 »

Gah, after 4 pages of this, my love of Tool is driving me to post in silly violent ways, but I shall do my best to be civil.

I discovered Tool one day while in MusicWorld, and I had the hankering to buy a cd...but i had no idea what.  I was in my second year of highschool, and my friend brings over this weird looking cd, and says, how about this?  I ask what its like, and he shrugs, having not actually heard it.  so i take a chance, and buy the cd, and i love it.

that was Tools Aeneima(sp?)

now, before i start listing the ways in how Tool is like supar wiked! I shall say this instead.  Tool has always appealed to me, and is the right band for my style.  Tool may not be that same band for you, or you or you...Music is one of the most personal things known to man.   I have never met anyone with 100% exactly the same taste in music.  so my question is why is there so much fighting?  I love Tool, you may not, thats cool.  and at the very least, base opinions on the music, not what silly things that go on outside of it.  thats how i staid a metallica fan....hahaha

now, I have seen Tool play live, and it was an interesting experience, and only validated my enjoyment.  Conversely, I saw the Deftones, but I have never seen a bigger load of huey....despite the awesomeness of the album.    it was unfortunate.  But they were so aweful live that i just could not bring myself to continue to listen to them.  

Music is a tricky thing folks...be true to what moves you...

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #160 on: 30 Apr 2006, 00:20 »

I refuse to believe this isn't a trick.

Science has led me to the conclusion that Tool fans are incapable of being reasonable

SCIENCE, YEAH.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #161 on: 30 Apr 2006, 06:27 »

YEAH, SERIOUSLY

YOU CANNOT BE A TOOL FAN

YOU'RE OKAY WITH ME SAYING THEY'RE BATSHIT
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #162 on: 30 Apr 2006, 06:39 »

OF COURSE HE IS. HIS DECEPTION ONLY WORKS TO FURTHER CEMENT YOUR IRONCLAD OPINIONS  AS FACT.

STONE-COLD

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #163 on: 30 Apr 2006, 06:43 »

?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #164 on: 30 Apr 2006, 11:09 »

HELLZ YEAH
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #165 on: 30 Apr 2006, 13:13 »

Quote from: beat mouse
The new album should have been called "10,000 days since we made a good album"

Seriously, I don't even know how people can go "OH MY GOD TOOL ARE SO TALENTED" because while they're different than most bands I don't EVER think of them as better, or even good >_>
that's because you're an idiot.

shut up. I AM RIGHT.
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

strawberry_gashes

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #166 on: 30 Apr 2006, 14:09 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
Oh man.  That avatar is hilarious.  The irony!

If you're talking to me, thanks!! =)

And yeah. *person abouv me whose name I forget* yes, you are right!

timehat

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #167 on: 30 Apr 2006, 15:16 »

I've liked Tool for some time now, I admit. I also admit that from what I've heard of the new album, it's been a disappointment. I like to see an artist grow and change, and from what I can tell, Tool just isn't doing that. So if boringess is an accusation to be leveled at Tool, now is an especially good time to make that argument. Now I may go on here to further label myself as a pretentious ass by saying that I find myself very pleased by a good bit of Mike Patton's work. He has an amazing voice and is able to handle a lot of diversity in the material he works on. As far as Devon Townsend and Dream Theater go, I've never liked them.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #168 on: 30 Apr 2006, 15:49 »

Quote from: timehat
I've liked Tool for some time now, I admit. I also admit that from what I've heard of the new album, it's been a disappointment. I like to see an artist grow and change, and from what I can tell, Tool just isn't doing that. So if boringess is an accusation to be leveled at Tool, now is an especially good time to make that argument. Now I may go on here to further label myself as a pretentious ass by saying that I find myself very pleased by a good bit of Mike Patton's work. He has an amazing voice and is able to handle a lot of diversity in the material he works on. As far as Devon Townsend and Dream Theater go, I've never liked them.
i don't see how tool hasn't grown and changed. especially since it's been 5 years since they put out an album. it is impossible to not grow and change in that time.

timehat

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #169 on: 30 Apr 2006, 15:52 »

Quote from: BillyxRansom
i don't see how tool hasn't grown and changed. especially since it's been 5 years since they put out an album. it is impossible to not grow and change in that time.

Then explain their latest album.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #170 on: 30 Apr 2006, 15:57 »

Quote from: BillyxRansom

Then explain their latest album.
read again: IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GROW AND CHANGE IN 5 YEARS. that's why they haven't NOT grown and changed. the new album is a lot more personal. not to mention, they've managed to take aspects of EVERY ALBUM THEY'VE EVER PUT OUT, and at the same time, successfully have made something completely original from anything they've ever done, while still being able to make people say, "oh yeah, that's definitely tool."

don't ask me how they did it, i just know they did.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #171 on: 30 Apr 2006, 16:35 »

Dude, chill out.

If you can't really off the top of your head note some pretty fair amount of change in your favorite band, chances are they're not changing. Especially for five years worth of time, you'd expect some pretty drastic changes.

Let's put this into perspective; Primus are one of my favorite bands ever. They're pretty awesome. But they don't evolve much. While it's a little more atmospheric and less funk influenced than it used to be, and they generally tend to jam out a bit more, there's not superb amounts of change between Suck On This and Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #172 on: 30 Apr 2006, 16:50 »

Also, quoting the guy above you ftl.

Welcome to the FUTAR where we would rather not see your wordiness twice in a row. Also: Be assimilated by the Borg. You're not cool unless you do.

><DONGZ>
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #173 on: 30 Apr 2006, 17:39 »

I used to be a pretty serious fan of Tool.  I went to every show they played when they came out to Aus after Lateralus, and by that I mean that they played one show, went around Aus then played two more shows, and I went to all three (if I remember correctly).  My friend and I actually debated going to one in either Newcastle or Wollongong too, I think.

What I think is especially telling about those shows is that my favourite thing from all of them was when they played the extended version of Pushit during one of the follow-up shows.  I mean, the new stuff was ok, but I really dug their older stuff.  I know that that is a stereotypical thing to say, but it's true, so fuck it.

Opiate and Undertow seemed honest, Aenima seemed like a real progression from the first stuff.  Lateralus seemed like a progression in some ways, but not really in others.  And where they "progressed" I didn't really like the direction they took.  I mean, I enjoyed the album, but I only really liked a couple of songs on it.  It didn't strike me as being anywhere near as good as Aenima.  It also seemed kind of pretentious, like it was trying to be some kind of spiritual experience or something.

Anyways, this new album reminds me of the last one.  There are some good bits to the new songs, but that's mostly because they are the same kind of good bits from previous songs rehashed into this new pretentious format.  Not sure I'll buy the album, I mean, I've already got the other albums.  If I want to listen to that kind of stuff I'll just grab one of the older ones.

Outshined

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #174 on: 01 May 2006, 10:57 »

Quote from: est

Opiate and Undertow seemed honest, Aenima seemed like a real progression from the first stuff.  Lateralus seemed like a progression in some ways, but not really in others.  And where they "progressed" I didn't really like the direction they took.  I mean, I enjoyed the album, but I only really liked a couple of songs on it.  It didn't strike me as being anywhere near as good as Aenima.  It also seemed kind of pretentious, like it was trying to be some kind of spiritual experience or something.

Why is it pretentious to try to create a spiritual context for your songs?  Is there not a certain divinity in music that they are attempting to connect with and express?  

I know Jeph has likened listening to Broken Social Scene to a spiritual experience, so why should that not be equally valid in the case of Tool?

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #175 on: 01 May 2006, 11:25 »

Quote from: Outshined

Why is it pretentious to try to create a spiritual context for your songs?  Is there not a certain divinity in music that they are attempting to connect with and express?  

I know Jeph has likened listening to Broken Social Scene to a spiritual experience, so why should that not be equally valid in the case of Tool?

I'm a Tool fan, and I totally see Est's point.  The BSS spritiual experience is one that is created by the listener, not forced by the artist.  I.E., the pretention (and if I may inject another over-used word, the irony) comes from Tool trying to market their music as a religious experience.

Again, I like Tool a lot, but I have developed reservations regarding the band over the years.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #176 on: 01 May 2006, 11:30 »

Personally, my favorite thing about the new Tool album is that it doesn't try to fuck around with some etherial asthetic like Lateralus did, but thats just me. There are still some trippy out there songs, but they lyrics seem a lot more personal and less metaphorical.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #177 on: 01 May 2006, 12:14 »

Anyways, this new album reminds me of the last one.  There are some good bits to the new songs, but that's mostly because they are the same kind of good bits from previous songs rehashed into this new pretentious format.  Not sure I'll buy the album, I mean, I've already got the other albums.  If I want to listen to that kind of stuff I'll just grab one of the older ones.

QFT.

This thread had lost its point a page ago. Stop it.

SO, IN CONCLUSION:
-Tool's new album was leaked.
-Its not very good, or original. But some of the fans like it.
-Some of Tool's fans are obnoxious little brats.
-Most of this forum does not like Tool.

END OF THREAD
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

strawberry_gashes

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #178 on: 03 May 2006, 18:59 »

Quote from: Misereatur

QFT.

This thread had lost its point a page ago. Stop it.

SO, IN CONCLUSION:
-Tool's new album was leaked.
-Its not very good, or original. But some of the fans like it.
-Some of Tool's fans are obnoxious little brats.
-Most of this forum does not like Tool.

END OF THREAD

*Now let me be the obnoxious one to break that*
That's a nice thought, but seeing this forum, I'm not sure that's really gonna happen... you know, ending threads and all.
(Any way, their new CD came ot yesterday, so there's no "edge" in the leak anymore.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up