THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tool Album Leaked  (Read 50038 times)

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:37 »

When talking to tool fans, I always say "I'll admit that they're talented musicians, but it's just not what I'm into."

this does two things:

1. it makes them not try to talk about it to me much more, and
2. makes them not go "WJAT YUO DON'T LEIK TOOL, I KILL YOU" that happens when you say "I hate tool, tool sucks! your mother's a whore because you like tool!" (my natural reaction to tool fans.)
also israel

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2006, 14:46 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
What you had with Anthrax I had with Slayer.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what he's doing to cause it, but the solos Slayer does always lure me into PURE INDIGNANT RAGE.

It's because Kerry King is a fucking shithead and instead of actually soloing decides to play as many notes up and down the fretboard as possible and it's stupid as fuck.

Also I realy like Anthrax. Really. Like, I've totally overplayed my tape copy of Persistance of Time to the point where it's just about to crumble into dust.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2006, 15:39 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
that happens when you say "I hate tool, tool sucks! your mother's a whore because you like tool!" (my natural reaction to tool fans.)

Why waste time with indignant, misspelled rage, when I could kick you in the junk?

There must be a lot of realy obnoxious Tool fans where you guys live though, because almost all the Tool fans I know are pretty awesome, reasonable people that don't really care if you like Tool or not, because you know, personal taste and all that.

This disdain for Tool fans based on their fanboy obsession is a little alien to me.

Also, I actually listened to the album. Its definatly weird. I was pretty drunk, so I might be wrong, but it seems like there are a few good songs, and quite a few unmemorable ones. I remember thinking at several points during Rosetta Stoned "This is an awesome song!" and "This song bores the shit out of me" and I didn't realize they were the same song untill it was finished. "The Pot" is also pretty awesome too, despite the fact that the opening vocal melody sounds  terrible.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2006, 16:17 »

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what he's doing to cause it, but the solos Slayer does always lure me into PURE INDIGNANT RAGE.

Kerry King never bothered to learn the concept of scales, and that not staying within them makes a solo sound like utter shit.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2006, 16:36 »

So basically: KIDS, LEARN YOUR SCALES OR I WILL TOTALLY FUCKING PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2006, 18:05 »

Kerry King's solos are far worse live.  It is possible, trust me.  Even my friends who like Slayer hated seeing them live.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Omnicide

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2006, 19:32 »

Quote from: Bastardous Bassist
Kerry King's solos are far worse live.

He's got more than one now?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2006, 20:08 »

Technically, when your solos are just random notes, every one will be different.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2006, 20:53 »

Yeah, but you can basically all clump them in a pile called "SOLOS THAT WILL GET YOU A SWIFT FUCKING PUNCH IN THE FACE. LEARN YOUR SCALES KIDDIES".

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #59 on: 21 Apr 2006, 22:14 »

I think Maynard is the fuckin bee's pajamas, but that's just me. I love his voice, and I think his songwriting abilities are sorely underrated.

Do I think they're the best band EVAR OMG... No. Hell, I think APC is tons better than Tool and they're not even my fav band. Are they good? I think so. I also think Maynard's singing talents aren't being appreciated as they should.

I've never considered Tool metal. Prog industrial rock maybe, but not heavy metal.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #60 on: 22 Apr 2006, 00:23 »

Quote from: Hat
Why waste time with indignant, misspelled rage, when I could kick you in the junk?

SHIT DOODS, look out! It's internet tough guy!
also israel

Carter

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #61 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:26 »

I just heard the new song on the radio today... thought it was pretty good.  Definitely a fresh break from Fallout Boy, Papa Roach, and Panic! At the Disco.

God... why so much hate?!?!  Why can't you just let people who like Tool like Tool... or any other band for that matter??

Music is there for enjoying, not for criticizing and being such a lame ass hater about.  Enjoy what you feel and leave it at that... is it fashionable to be so uptight about music on here or something?

And I don't get the broad generalizations you guys use here.  You think everyone who likes Tool is so fascinated by their artwork and philosophy and thinks they're the super shit of the musical world?  That's fucking stupid.  Are most of you in high school or stuck in that mindset or something?

I like all of Tool's stuff pretty well and I've never even heard of Mike Patton, Townsend, or Ayreon... and I think Dream Theater is whack. Tool isn't metal.... at all.  Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Mastodon and Children of Bodom are metal and sound nothing like Tool.

I've only ever known one person in my 23 years of life that I could categorize as a Tool fanatic and he pretty much kept to himself.  That guy was weird.  Everyone else just thought they were a good rock band that didn't put out the standard pop bullshit.

I don't think it's the Tool fans that are pretentious.  Take a look in the mirror, guys.  The only people who surf band websites all the time still live with their parents.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #62 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:53 »

OH MAN HE PLAYED THE "STILL LIVES IN THEIR PARENTS BASEMENT CARD". WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?!?!?!?111one

Praeserpium Machinarum

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #63 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:11 »

Guys, guys why can't we just get along and skull fuck each other in harmony?

Peace, love and skullfucking!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:30 »

Are there enough skulls for everybody to fuck one or do we have to share?

COULD GOD MAKE A SKULL SO BIG EVEN HE COULDN'T FUCK IT?

Carter

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:34 »

Quote from: Kai
OH MAN HE PLAYED THE "STILL LIVES IN THEIR PARENTS BASEMENT CARD". WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?!?!?!?111one

Do you entertain yourself like this with everyone that disagrees with you?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:36 »

I'm just being a prick, actually. And, to my knowledge, I actually haven't said anything about Tool in this thread. At all. Do I like them? No. I think they're boring. I didn't say anything because it's already been said. SO YEAH. TAKE THAT.

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #67 on: 22 Apr 2006, 05:07 »

Quote from: Storm Rider

Kerry King never bothered to learn the concept of scales, and that not staying within them makes a solo sound like utter shit.

I really need to learn scales. I've been trying to teach myself guitar, but it's hard. I don't want to go to a teacher because, well, I like figuring things out for myself, but I'm missing so much damn music theory.

In my defense, I've basically just been noodling around out of boredom and not really playing for a year now. I don't intend to start a 'serious' band or whatever.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #68 on: 22 Apr 2006, 06:38 »

Are there enough skulls for everybody to fuck one or do we have to share?

I ain't sharing a skull with no Tool haters! I'd rather shoot knuckle babies into a fucking canyon!

I'm just being a prick, actually. And, to my knowledge, I actually haven't said anything about Tool in this thread. At all. Do I like them? No. I think they're boring. I didn't say anything because it's already been said. SO YEAH. TAKE THAT.

Can't.... take..... it!!!! BELLIGERANT..... RAGE..... BREWING......

FUCK!!!

Kids, let this be a lesson to you. Don't listen to Tool, or you are going to wind up ushering in a new era of paranoia, and fear of the total destruction of our species.

(Also, scales are hella easy. Its the only thing I was capable of teaching myself on guitar. I remembered from piano lessons as a kid that A minor and C major have no sharps or flats, worked off a mental image of a piano, and figured out the basic scale structure for every major and minor scale from there. Of course, its completely useless if you don't know about chord structure, and what makes a decent guitar part, but hey, at least I can play the 12 bar blues)

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #69 on: 22 Apr 2006, 07:59 »

I basically just look up tabs and play other peoples songs. That's it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #70 on: 22 Apr 2006, 11:04 »

I know a lot of scales from memory, but that's only because I play symphonic music, so it's kind of necessary. Not as necessary as playing jazz, of course, but after 3 years of it, I've absorbed a lot unconsciously.

Kerry King, you've been making 'music' for over 20 FUCKING YEARS. You have no excuse.

And even if you were decent, Testament would still kick your band's ass.

nancygirl

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #71 on: 22 Apr 2006, 12:49 »

I haven't heard the new Tool yet, but I have a sad feeling it'll turn out like the latest NIN and be a little disappointing...

Outshined

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #72 on: 22 Apr 2006, 13:57 »

Quote from: Carter

...is it fashionable to be so uptight about music on here or something?
quote]

ding ding ding!  We have a winner!  Seriously, that's why we call them hipsters.  

But honestly, I haven't heard any legitimate proof on this thread yet for why Tool is a bad band other than "Their fans are insufferably pretentious".  To this I have two retorts:

A)  Why care that other people like this band?  Is is so horrible that people might, I don't know, actually enjoy music?

B)  You are the definition of the pot calling the kettle black.  There are plenty of people on here who are extremely pretentious about the bands they listen to (be honest with yourselves), and would retaliate quite unfavorably if I blashphemed about the bands that -they- like.  

As for my assertion that Tool is a metal band, here is why I think this way:

1)  They fit extremely poorly when compared to other mainstream rock acts, so I wouldn't call them that.
2)  The instrumentals are fairly technical or sometimes wierd, traits of most (good) metal bands.  
3)  The extremeties of emotion:  either absolute distopia or utopian hope, are common themes in metal lyrics.  

The only real argument you could make against Tool as a metal band is the abscense of growling as the vocal style, which just seems superficial to me anyway.  Growled vocals do not make a good metal band in and of themselves.

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #73 on: 22 Apr 2006, 14:12 »

God... why so much hate?!?!  Why can't you just let people who like Tool like Tool... or any other band for that matter??

ZOMG, I TOTALLY HATE TOOL AND COULDN'T EVER LISTEN TO THEM, EVEN IF SOMEONE HELD A GUN TO MY HEAD!  There, now your comments about us passionately hating Tool are justified.  Seriously, I don't think any of us are actively angry about Tool.  I'm mostly indifferent.  I dislike them because I think they're boring, but I don't go out and yell at everyone who likes Tool.

And I don't get the broad generalizations you guys use here.  You think everyone who likes Tool is so fascinated by their artwork and philosophy and thinks they're the super shit of the musical world?  That's fucking stupid.  Are most of you in high school or stuck in that mindset or something?

Okay, I'll admit that when I left high school many moons ago, the number of pseudo-intellectual dipshit Tool fans dropped off severly.  I have since met three people whom I know to be Tool fans.  That's right, total number I've met since leaving high school.

Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Mastodon

...Um...Yeah...

I don't think it's the Tool fans that are pretentious.  Take a look in the mirror, guys.  The only people who surf band websites all the time still live with their parents.

Oh lordy!  I'm pretentious because I like music that's interesting!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #74 on: 22 Apr 2006, 14:17 »

Quote from: Outshined

But honestly, I haven't heard any legitimate proof on this thread yet for why Tool is a bad band other than "Their fans are insufferably pretentious".

I'm pretty sure that "They're boring and totally not worth talking about at all" came up a couple times.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #75 on: 22 Apr 2006, 14:41 »

Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Mastodon

...Um...Yeah...

I was also going to remark on this, but really couldn't be arsed.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #76 on: 22 Apr 2006, 15:54 »

that's kind of funny that he picked the three most popular metalcore bands to encompass metal.

also; tool suck. their fans suck. are the responsible for one another? maybe, but they suck due to their own personal demerits. also, tool aren't metal, niether is being "technical," and nobody said they sounded like MAINSTREAM rock, and in fact the opposite, being "alternative" (maybe google define it) rock. many metal bands dont have a growly singer. tool just aren't metal. their music, quite simply, is not metal.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Rubby

• http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #77 on: 22 Apr 2006, 16:46 »

Quote from: Outshined

ding ding ding!  We have a winner!  Seriously, that's why we call them hipsters.  

NO, THEY CALL US HIPSTERS CAUSE WE'RE SO DAMN HIP!!!
*strut*
HECK YEAH!

Houdinimachine

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #78 on: 22 Apr 2006, 19:05 »

Tool doesn't suck because Maynard doesn't suck. I don't give a shit about Tool "fans." I can't even possibly begin to think of a reason to judge a band based on its fans.

Boring is such a stupid stupid "reason" why a band sucks. What's boring to you is not boring to others. I personally think pretty much all metal is boring but I'm not going to say metal sucks because I know it's just not my thing. I prefer people who can sing as opposed to scream really loud.

It takes all kinds, folks. Don't drop the suck card unless you're willing to back it up with cold hard facts as opposed to "boring."

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #79 on: 22 Apr 2006, 19:16 »

Maynard is so overhyped I want to stuff my balls into his mouth so it can start doing something productive. seriously. shit. band. Tool, along with Radiohead, have the worst fans, because they adamantly RAGE on people who don't think they're the greatest shit ever. If it weren't the case I wouldn't be adamantly raging against this tool machine. and for the record, Maynard is a pretentious douchebag who has done some of the shittiest work I can think of (Thirteenth Step, eMotive, Lateralus) and I think his voice is pretty dull.

But that's funny you should mention screaming because half the time anyone mentions how OMFG GOOD maynard is they bring up that stupid 8 minute scream he does. I prefer just about any prog-rock band to tool, i don't dislike prog-rock. i dislike tool. and maynard for that matter.

FACT(since you wanted "facts" as to why my opinion is Tool/Maynard sucks): Thirteenth Step, eMotive, and half of Tool's catelogue, is poo.

Also, Maynard singing real nice over a shitty band doesn't make them a good band.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #80 on: 22 Apr 2006, 19:24 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
I prefer people who can sing as opposed to scream really loud.

Candlemass - Mirror Mirror
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #81 on: 22 Apr 2006, 20:54 »

(Also, scales are hella easy. Its the only thing I was capable of teaching myself on guitar. I remembered from piano lessons as a kid that A minor and C major have no sharps or flats, worked off a mental image of a piano, and figured out the basic scale structure for every major and minor scale from there. Of course, its completely useless if you don't know about chord structure, and what makes a decent guitar part, but hey, at least I can play the 12 bar blues)

Scales are actually rather hard, because there's a lot of them.  You've got your major scale.  Fine.  Then you've got your church modes from that major scale.  Okay, just different positions and starting notes.  Not too bad.  Now throw in melodic minor.  Don't forget harmonic minor.  Oh, and then there's the octatonic/diminished scale (only three of these) and the whole tone/hexatonic scale (two of them, fortunately).  Let's not forget exotic scales, too.  The more scales you know, the better your solos will be.  So get cracking!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Houdinimachine

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #82 on: 22 Apr 2006, 21:15 »

Weird, I thought Thirteenth Step was fucking awesome. But, that's just me.

PS: Maynard barely had anything to do with Emotive. That was mainly the brain child of another member of APC.

What you consider pretentious I consider willing to try new things. Some work some don't, but I'll take "The Nurse Who Loved Me" over a good number of basic rock tunes.

Edit: Khar, I tried that song out. Interesting... the lead singer sounds straight out of bad hair metal (The Darkness wishes it was this bad...) compared with what sounds like death metal lyrics. Enh. Not my thing. As a trained vocalist, I have trouble really liking the yodel-singing done by hair metal lead singers. It works for its genre, but it's not my thing.

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #83 on: 22 Apr 2006, 21:25 »

You want a good goddamned singer, go with James LaBrie from Dream Theater.  He's the best popular music singer I've ever heard.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #84 on: 22 Apr 2006, 21:56 »

I like all of Tool's stuff pretty well and I've never even heard of Mike Patton, Townsend, or Ayreon... and I think Dream Theater is whack.

Get rid of the first panel, replace "Metroid" with "The Glass Prison", "Nintendo" with "Dream Theater", and "Daily Radar" with "Tool".

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #85 on: 22 Apr 2006, 22:34 »

Weird, I thought Thirteenth Step was fucking awesome. But, that's just me.
I thought it was rejected tracks from Lateralus.

PS: Maynard barely had anything to do with Emotive. That was mainly the brain child of another member of APC.
Maynard took over that band after Mer De Noms (which I actually really enjoy) and whether he can be blamed for it, he was still a part of that godawful racket.

What you consider pretentious I consider willing to try new things. Some work some don't, but I'll take "The Nurse Who Loved Me" over a good number of basic rock tunes.
Considering that's a cover, it's not saying much, Failure's version was better, too.

PS; James LaBrie fucking SUCKS. He can't hit a single one of those notes live. Not to mention I've never been so annoyed with him. Dream Theater are pretty decent, (although their new album is a piece of crap, sad to say) but for the amazingly talented guys they are, they really need to work on songwriting. Who am I to judge these guys? I dont know, the target audience they're trying to sell to.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #86 on: 22 Apr 2006, 22:50 »

Quote from: beat mouse
PS; James LaBrie fucking SUCKS. He can't hit a single one of those notes live.

Man, then you must have caught them on a bad night, because when I saw them live, he was a lot better than I expected.

And I like their new album. Sure, Never Enough was terrible, but Panic Attack, The Root of All Evil, and Sacrificed Sons are great, and the title track is starting to grow on me. I like the fact that they tried to diversify their sound a bit too.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #87 on: 23 Apr 2006, 05:07 »

The more scales you know, the better your solos will be.  So get cracking!

Man, it is a good thing that I am actually just a terrible bassist, rather than an aspiring guitarist, because I am getting pretty good at just playing behind a wanky, self-absorbed guitarist. Also, it is also probably kind of helpful I am getting lessons from a dude who is pretty much one of the few shred bassist maestros out there.

Also, I cry when people go around giving shit to Dream Theater. I know they are wanky as fuck, thats not the point. For fucks sake, their singers name more or less means "The Cheese"

That doesn't meant that Rudess doesn't kick total arse in everything he's done with DT.

(P.S. THESE WALLS)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #88 on: 23 Apr 2006, 05:17 »

Boring is such a stupid stupid "reason" why a band sucks. What's boring to you is not boring to others.

Don't drop the suck card unless you're willing to back it up with cold hard facts as opposed to "boring."

Um, I'm pretty sure it's my opinion that I think they're boring and I don't want to listen to them? I don't know about you, but it's kind of hard to back up why I think they're boring with "cold hard facts". They're just boring to me. That's pretty much it, and I think that's a perfectly valid reason not to listen to them and to not like them.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #89 on: 23 Apr 2006, 05:26 »

THEY ARE ONLY BORING BECAUSE YOU HAVENT EVOLVED PAST THAT THING THAT TOOL TALKED ABOUT IN THAT ONE SONG, YOU KNOW, THE ONE ABOUT CHROMASONES AND HOW PEOPLE NEED TO, YOU KNOW, EVOLVE PAST THEM.

Oh god. I have become that guy. That guy who for whom sarcasm leaves no discernable trace of its fucking existance. Sorry, guys.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #90 on: 23 Apr 2006, 05:53 »

I AM SO SORRY I AM TOO PRIMITIVE

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #91 on: 23 Apr 2006, 06:03 »

DAMN RIGHT. MAYBE YOU CAN BE ONE OF US, IF YOU FOLLOW THE TOOL PRESCRIPTION THOUGH. THE FIRST PRESCRIPTION IS THAT YOU LET A GUY JAM HIS HAND UP YOUR ARSE. IT IS PRETTY MUCH UPTO YOU AFTER THAT, BECAUSE EWWWW

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #92 on: 23 Apr 2006, 06:04 »

That pretty much wins the thread right there.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #93 on: 23 Apr 2006, 06:24 »

Irish Whiskey wins pretty much everything.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #94 on: 23 Apr 2006, 06:25 »

Guys, why the fuck is this thread still going?
This is turning out to be the "heavy metal" thread, just not as funny.

Cut it out, youre making my brain hurt.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #95 on: 23 Apr 2006, 06:26 »

HAMMERFALL

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #96 on: 23 Apr 2006, 07:42 »

GAH!

*brain assplodes*
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Houdinimachine

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #97 on: 23 Apr 2006, 08:24 »

Um, I'm pretty sure it's my opinion that I think they're boring and I don't want to listen to them? I don't know about you, but it's kind of hard to back up why I think they're boring with "cold hard facts". They're just boring to me. That's pretty much it, and I think that's a perfectly valid reason not to listen to them and to not like them.

It is a perfectly valid reason to not listen to them. But is it a perfectly valid reason to say they suck? Not really. Anywho, I see this is just getting out of hand. I just wanted to defend Maynard a little as I freaking love APC. (Tool I like but not near as much as I like APC.) And yes, Lateralus pretty much bores me to death too. It's easily their worst album.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #98 on: 23 Apr 2006, 09:00 »

I'm pretty sure it is a valid reason to say they suck, just as you saying you don't like the metal screaming is a valid reason why the entire genre sucks. (which, by the way, is generally pretty retarded, since metal is such an absurdly vast genre with so many different styles and to write the entire thing off because of one certain thing is pretty dumb)

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #99 on: 23 Apr 2006, 09:07 »

Quote from: beat mouse
PS; James LaBrie fucking SUCKS. He can't hit a single one of those notes live. Not to mention I've never been so annoyed with him. Dream Theater are pretty decent, (although their new album is a piece of crap, sad to say) but for the amazingly talented guys they are, they really need to work on songwriting. Who am I to judge these guys? I dont know, the target audience they're trying to sell to.

He's easily my favorite part of Dream Theater, and I only listen to the songs that rock more than they prog, because Dream Theater is really bad at prog.  I blame Portnoy for being an entirely mediocre drummer, mainly.  I still don't think any of the other members are really good enough, compositionally, to actually write a reasonable prog album.  If I want prog, I'm going to listen to some guys who can really pull it off and make it sound good.  If I want to rock, I'm going to listen to Dream Theater.  Also, their new album is one of the first where there are whole songs on which they don't try too hard.  Also, everyone has to admit it  better your solowas better than the music holocaust that was Train of Thought.  "We wrote it in three weeks!"  Maybe if they'd spent longer on it, it would have been good.

That doesn't meant that Rudess doesn't kick total arse in everything he's done with DT.

They need Moore back, or even Sherenian.  Rudess just doesn't fit their style at all.  Probably because, if I recall correctly, he doesn't like metal.  Hard to write in a genre you don't like.  They also need to stop those stupid unison licks.  All it's doing is showing that they can play in unison really fast.  It rarely ever benefits the song.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up