THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 18:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 7310 times)

JJMitchell

Superman Returns
« on: 04 May 2006, 07:29 »

I think I wet myself.  Seriously.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Superman Returns
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2006, 13:30 »

Didnt Doomsday kill Superman?

Couldnt he STAY dead?
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
Superman Returns
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2006, 16:16 »

Karnak said it best.  If nothing else at all about this film will make it worth watching, I want to see Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.
I have no doubt that I'm gonna hate this film... I never liked Superman at all and I don't think this is going to be any different.  But I don't care.  I'll sit through it even if it's terrible just to see Kevin Spacey as Luthor.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Lines

• Awakened
Superman Returns
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2006, 19:11 »

batman is better.

i think i will see this just because they had to edit the size of superman's package. supossedly, tights acentuate his large balls.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

MatticusPrime

Superman Returns
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2006, 19:28 »

I only like Superman when he's written a very specific way, otherwise his character is just boring. The trailer got me excited about the movie, but upon closer inspection I don't think it's going to be a very good flick. Pretty sad when you consider that this version of the movie is much better than a lot of the other ideas that were tossed around previously. See Kevin Smith talking about his work on a previous version of the film, including his interactions with Jon Peters. Even if you don't like Superman you'll likely be appalled at some of that stuff.

I'll still go see this movie though.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Superman Returns
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2006, 21:11 »

Might be intersting to see.  Certainly will fill in the time till the next Star Trek Film, or until JMS finally gets round to making a Babylon 5 one  :D

I've often wondered, apart from the butchery of Starship Troopers, would any other Heinlein Novel make a good Film.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Superman Returns
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2006, 22:01 »

I don't think Heinlein's stuff would adapt well to the screen, personally. At least, not most of his intelligent, maturer stuff. Didn't he write kids books first?

Also: Superman = bleh but Spacey-Lex = PWN FACES.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
Superman Returns
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2006, 22:10 »

Quote from: Kugai
I've often wondered, apart from the butchery of Starship Troopers, would any other Heinlein Novel make a good Film.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.

YOU DO NOT SPEAK AN UNKIND WORD ABOUT STARSHIP TROOPERS.

Superman actually has made me completely apathetic to it, the only thing it has going for it is kevin spacey, and he's not what draws me to a movie.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Superman Returns
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2006, 22:25 »

Beat Mouse, if you've read Starship Troopers you'll know what a hack job butchery of a classic Sci-Fi Novel the Film really is!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Electric Monk

Superman Returns
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2006, 01:54 »

The first trailer had a very neat Alex Ross vibe to it, along with the Marlon Brando narration just killed me. There's been whispers around that the actual script though is a little sub-par, which is worrying. Also, I don't know if Kate Bosworth (hot as she is) will be able to pull off Lois Lane. Brian Singer's a good director, to a point, so I'm leaning towards hopeful on this one.

Of course, I'm a sucker for any superhero movie really. They got guys flying and punching people through walls, I am there.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Superman Returns
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2006, 03:04 »

I'd like to see them do a Batman/Superman cross over film ala Frank Miller's Dark Knight.
Seeing Batman beat Superman senseless for being a government crony would be awesome.

I'm really more psyched for X3. That looks badass. Even if the story is rubbish it'll still have the coolest effects.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Superman Returns
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2006, 18:54 »

I'll see this, even though they broke one of my major taboos...they gave Lois a kid.

Yeah that's what a Superman movie needs, some snivelly 6 year old who gets all chummy with blue, leading up to a climactic scene in which somehow, the kid saves the day.  We already have that character.  He's called Jimmy Olsen.  We don't need another one just to ensure that the tots will come to see the film.

Jesus Fucking Christ...is it really that hard to stick to source material?

Oh I'll hand over my $9.00....but Bryan Singer is getting a letter from me if this doesn't equal at LEAST his work on the first X-Men film.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Superman Returns
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2006, 19:41 »

Quote from: Electric Monk
There's been whispers around that the actual script though is a little sub-par

A superhero film with a sub-par script?  SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

Electric Monk

Superman Returns
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2006, 20:27 »

Quote from: Inlander
There's been whispers around that the actual script though is a little sub-par

A superhero film with a sub-par script?  SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

Oh, hardee har har. After Spider-Man 2, X2, and Batman Begins, I don't think they have much of an excuse any more.

MatticusPrime

Superman Returns
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2006, 09:43 »

Of course, I'm a sucker for any superhero movie really. They got guys flying and punching people through walls, I am there.

After Spider-Man 2, X2, and Batman Begins, I don't think they have much of an excuse any more.

It's like we're long lost brothers

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
Superman Returns
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2006, 11:34 »

After Batman Begins, it's still true, except Nolan lucked out.

fixed.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Garcin

Superman Returns
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2006, 12:21 »

Honestly, the over-the-top Jesus allegory is sort of cheesing me off.  "He sent his only his only son . . ."  I mean, every time I see the preview, I think to myself "Didn't they already make this movie?  Oh yeah, it was called The Passion of the Christ."

The only way I see myself seeing this movie in theaters is if the critics say that it walks on water.  Metaphorically speaking.

Electric Monk

Superman Returns
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2006, 11:27 »

Quote from: MatticusPrime

After Spider-Man 2, X2, and Batman Begins, I don't think they have much of an excuse any more.

It's like we're long lost brothers

I have long suspected that I am but one of a small number of clones, strategically planted all over the United States for a secret purpose...

Daniel

Superman Returns
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2006, 00:42 »

Oh man, Starship Troopers is a totally sweet movie. Not like the book? I don't care! The bugs're sweet-lookin'.

Superman!: I am a comic book geek, but I don't really have much love for Superman. I've enjoyed a lotta Superman stories, but it wasn't until All-Star Superman that I actually started to like the character.

The new movie! The trailers look alright; I still don't like the costume. I'll go see it, but I have low expectations: hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised!

ASturge

Superman Returns
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2006, 14:08 »

Quote from: Kugai
Beat Mouse, if you've read Starship Troopers you'll know what a hack job butchery of a classic Sci-Fi Novel the Film really is!

I've read the book and seen the film.

I LOVE, BOTH.

YOU SIR, ARE A MOFO.

talon

Superman Returns
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2006, 12:32 »

although iv'e been a marvel fan always except for a few dc (batman) stories... or anything alex ross is involved in. i do like some aspects of superman
i'm kind of excited for the flick. the trailer sceen where supermans cape is flowing as he looks down from space looks like it could be worth 6.50 and you can't go wrog with spacel or singer as a director. plus, being a comic book movie, we're sure to be entertained with some 'splosions. which is always fun

as for starships troopers the movie was great, verhoven made a great gory b-movie sci-fi flick, but the book was more along the lines of something like full metal jacket, with a facist twist. both the book and movie are great for there completely different reasons.

Luke

Superman Returns
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2006, 14:48 »

I'll probably try to go see this. Like Electric Monk said, I like the special effects that come with superhero movies - it's one (read: not the only) of the things that made V for Vendetta a kickass film.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Superman Returns
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2006, 17:03 »

I can't imagine I'll see this film.  Something about Superman has always struck me as being so hokey, more so than any other superhero.

Also, everyone realises that the film of Starship Troopers was massively satirical, right?  Pretty much everything Verhoeven does is like that to some extent.  I haven't read the book.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Superman Returns
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2006, 18:25 »

Pre-world war Superman is a far more interesting charecter then just about anything after.  Quite a bit less hokey as well.  I'm sure I'll watch it at some point but I'm in no hurry.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Superman Returns
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2006, 19:08 »

Yesterday I sat down and read through the entire Wiki entries for the defunct Superman Lives project and now the Superman Returns movie.  I have to say that despite all the bullshit provisos Jon Peters put onto him, Kevin Smith's script still seemed the best.  I think that if he wasn't hobbled by Jon "I know nothing about DC Comics and actually hate everything that makes Superman cool" Peters he could have made an absolutely awesome script.

That said, I think that the current script is the least offensive script out of the rest of the contenders.  At the very least it seems like it doesn't have anything fucking stupid in it. At most it may show a far more complex Superhero tale.  Superman having to deal with both Lois and Earth moving on and learning to live without him is an awesome idea.  I just hope that the movie itself lives up to that idea.

edcho7000

Superman Returns
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2006, 07:27 »

i wasn't that impressed with the superman trailer, but there's one reason i think it'll be good.  bryan singer.  the man rules.  i really missed his "touch" on x3.  with the same script he could have made that movie awesome.  i bet there's some strange twist in the superman movie, coz i heard bryan singer had this great "idea" for another superman movie.  he's gotta have a trick up his sleeve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up