THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Original, and the best.  (Read 3514 times)

Dinnes

The Original, and the best.
« on: 01 May 2006, 10:36 »

I recently discovered Zork, Grand Inquisitor hiding in my desk drawer, and remembering how awesome it was when I first got it I reinstalled it and have started playing again.

For those of you who don't know, Zork began as a text adventure way back..before I was born probably, and involved a whole lot of problem solving in order to find the treasure and the way through the underground cave system. Essentially an adventure type game that made people use thier imagination instead of pretty graphics. I never finished any of these. Played them, but they were just too hard.

In 1997 (?) ZGI came out, not the first of the zorks to have graphics, but definately the prettiest, while staying true to the old formula. I don't know if they still produce it. I doubt it, but if anyone else has played it or the originals. Feel like sharing your thoughts?

Or you can discuss other games from the text adventure era.. I wasn't around then and zork is the only one I ever played.

JodyAnthony

« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2006, 10:44 »

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

you can play Zork I-III, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, etc. in your browser

Bunnyman

« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2006, 00:48 »

It is dark.  You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2006, 04:50 »

That website is the shit. <3s to Jody.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2006, 06:49 »

I went to a gaming convention once (GEEK POINTS PLUS 20) and played the Hitch Hikers text based game. I've been trying to find it since, awesome :-)

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2006, 12:10 »

That is like my favorite game ever. Grand Inquisitor is maybe better than the text ones. Maybe.

"Who is the boss of you? ME! I AM THE BOSS OF YOU!"

I will not list all of my experiences while playing that game, but now I want to dig it out again.

AHHH GRUES SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF ME*

*No post of mine in the "Computers & Video Games" forum would be complete without something about grues being scary.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2006, 16:14 »

Those text games are all friggin impossible.

Bunnyman

« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2006, 22:28 »

I would agree with you, though Fallacy of Dawn is worth the occasional verb hunt.

Photopia will take you, maybe, 45 minutes to play.  Fantastic stuff.  Really pushes the boundaries of what the genre can be.

Varicella is fascinating, brilliantly written, and the gameplay flow is completely lateral of anything you've probably played.  It's also utterly maddening.

But, hey, sometimes it's fun to poke around that house with the white mailbox.
Pages: [1]   Go Up