Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zines?  (Read 2404 times)

taank55

Zines?
« on: 03 May 2006, 12:51 »

Anyone here read zines?

For those of you who don't know there little self-maid comics that bookstores sell. Sometimes, there's a place kind-of near me called "Quimby's" that sells them.

You can go to Kinkos and basically have them make them for you.

I read one called Unlovable they writers found a 8th grade girl growing up in the 80's and illustrate it.

I'm kind-of curious now that webcomics are plentiful, do you guys think zines are going to be oldhat?

Pretty funny.

Meghan Elizabeth

Oh you know it!
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2006, 08:05 »

Naw. No way. It's like asking if now that we have free music, are we going to stop shelling out the paycheques for our Sufjan Stevens CDs? The answer, of course, is hell no. I like to cherish the hope that despite the commercialization of the indie-boho-add your own effing label-here lifestyle, there is, inherent in it, a kind of integrity that will buoy the appreciation for DIY kids and their work. :)

It's weird, though, that you say the bookstore near you sells them. I was at a 'zine fair in the Underground Cafe here and there was lotsa free free free! I think it's better for 'zines to stay free, and I like the open sharing idea of it. That being said, a lot of money goes into the production of some of the more prominent ones, and I guess I'm gainsaying myself, so I'll just shut up now...

Anyway, yeah. I think that there's a difference between webcomics and 'zines that's going to keep them in two different, and hopefully strong, genres, and both'll go strong. 'Zines will probably always be lower-profile, though, just because there's no way to reach as massive a ?market? as webcomics do. No internet, just hand-to-hand. There's something ineffably more charming that way, though, don'tcha think?

jariku

Zines?
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2006, 02:35 »

I read and make zines.

Meghan Elizabeth

Zines?
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2006, 05:29 »

Kudos on the point! :) So what do you think?
Pages: [1]   Go Up