THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 03:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Big PS3 Show  (Read 4238 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Big PS3 Show
« on: 08 May 2006, 19:40 »

IGN Article

Basic gist:

- $499 with 20 gig hard drive, $599 with 60 gig hard drive
- Will include PSP connectivity (like the GameCube had with the Game Boy Advance)
- The controller has tilt sensitivity, that recognizes when the player is turning the controller (gee...)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Sarcasmorator

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2006, 20:36 »

This does not bode well.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2006, 22:31 »

For who, Sony, Microsoft, your pocketbook?
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Alegis

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2006, 22:48 »

Fact that Sony keeps copying shit, and is now trying to imitate a Wii controller with much less functionality.

list comments by most diggs,
http://www.digg.com/gaming/PlayStation_3_Controller_Loses_Vibration
http://www.digg.com/gaming/PS3_price_announced

this time it's a problem cause that is the target market of Sony. For Wii comments it didn't matter.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2006, 00:30 »

Additional notes:

The PSWii controller doesn't have the same functionality as a Wiimote. Where the Wii controller senses every slight movement, every twitch and turn and recognizes how fast or slow or what direction you're swinging, the PS3 controller only recognizes that it's being tilted. Instead of swinging a sword or aiming a gun, you're playing Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble.

The $500 (basic) model also lacks Wifi support, Memory Stick/SD card support, and HDMI support.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Bunnyman

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2006, 00:34 »

It must be noted, however, that the PS3 controller is still essentially a DualShock, possibly the best-engineered game controller in the short history of Videogames.

Still, it's looking like the X360 all over again.  Economical (read: useless) version, Deluxe (read: usable) version.  I expect a large mob of pitchfork-wielding rubes who don't understand "small print."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2006, 00:51 »

The Dual Shock has fallen out of favor with me. Giving the D-pad prime position and putting the analog stick down below no longer feels right. The XB360 controller now reigns as the pinnacle traditional controller, in my opinion. Perfect fit, perfect button placement, and even the silliest feature of all: the ability to turn on the 360 with it, seems like an awesome amount of power.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Shadowlink137

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2006, 20:13 »

I think Little Gamers said it best. Seriously these systems must be able to be bought by those that aren't super-rich (me). I already wasn't going to get a PS3, but this just reaffirms it. The Xbox 360 core was 300, and although a little steep was OK. The core PS3 at $500? Way too expensive.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2006, 21:17 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Additional notes:
The $500 (basic) model also lacks Wifi support, Memory Stick/SD card support, and HDMI support.

What's the point of a Blu-Ray movie player w/o HDMI support . . ?  IMO, if Microsoft throws a $100 price drop before PS3 launch, Sony's sales figures might not go as planned.

Bunnyman

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2006, 22:30 »

yeah, precisely. At least with the X360 all you needed to do in order to upgrade a core was to buy a (marked-up) hard drive.  If you get buyer's remorse with the PS3, GET A NEW ONE.

I'm liking the Revolution more and more.  Or...sticking with the PS2 and my trusty PC.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2006, 05:10 »

Dear Sony.

FUCK YOU.

You taunt me for a year with brilliant graphics and a good lineup, then drop a $600 price tag. You fucking tease. I'm leaving you for Wii. At least she respects my feelings.

Die in a Fire,
David.

:-(
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

nihilist

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2006, 12:20 »

I'm still lost as to how Sony will charge $500 for a BD player that doesn't support HDMI.  As soon as enough TVs out there support HDMI, BDs will ship with HDMI-only support, and they just fucked a whole bunch of people.

But honestly?  Sony needs to stop trying to make a computer.  Make a damn console.  If I want to buy a PC, I'll buy a PC.  Oh wait, I already did!

Alegis

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2006, 15:34 »

The controls for warhawk, the only game at E3 supporting the SUPER HIGH TECH MOTION SENSORS !!11 of PS3, were dev'd in 10 days :\

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150702

"Sounds about right to me...

Just about enough time to half ass put something together."

nihilist

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2006, 15:39 »

Yeah, that reminds me...  The controller?  No rumble packs!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2006, 17:50 »

Quote from: nihilist
But honestly?  Sony needs to stop trying to make a computer.  Make a damn console.  If I want to buy a PC, I'll buy a PC.  Oh wait, I already did!

I think it's more like "Sony needs to stop trying to make a next-gen HD (Blu-Ray) DVD player that is also a games machine".

If they didn't focus so much on the goddamn Blu-Ray they'd have launched by now & could be looking at adding a Blu-Ray player like the 360 is with HD-DVD

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2006, 21:06 »

Having been a Nintendo fanboy almost exclusively during the sad runner-up years (1998 on), it's very nice to see Sony shoot its face off so graciously like this.

Alegis

The Big PS3 Show
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2006, 01:42 »

Aaaha, what kind of bullshit are they selling the costumers :

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64671
[comments are gold, list by most diggs]

I disagree that it's copying, as it's by far not the same thing as the Wii. Just shameless imitation ; this added with the 10days before E3 link I doubt they were thinking about it for a decade ...

Sony needs to save a lot face. I'm interested in how they'll try to do it, or work this one out. If they don't, it's yet again up to the devs to try a damn lot to make use of everything the machine has to offer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up