THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FF IV DS  (Read 8315 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
FF IV DS
« on: 23 Jul 2008, 08:19 »

So, Final Fantasy IV was released yesterday for the DS.  I really enjoyed III on my DS, and want to pick IV up.  The graphics look eerily similar to III, to be expected. 

I was just wondering if anyone has picked it up yet, or if anyone has the original copy of the game.

Is the Storyline good?  Will I have time to play it between FFTA2 and school?
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

ackblom12

Re: FF IV DS
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2008, 09:05 »

FFIV is honestly one of the much better JRPGs I've ever played. I put it as my 2nd favorite of the series right behind VI.

My only issue with the remake is I'm not sure how well the graphics will translate. Iv was a lot like VI in the sense that a lot of emotion was portrayed through facial expression (it was fairly impressive what they could do with such a small number of pixels) rather than text and I'm not sure the graphics style will allow for much of that. Otherwise, it's on my "to buy" list.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2008, 09:14 »

Damn, this is out already?

I'm nowhere near done with FFTA2 and only maybe 1/4 done with TWEWY but I suppose I might pick it up on Friday because it looks reasonably awesome (thank God they actually changed the gameplay substantially for this one, the GBA remake was pretty boring).
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2008, 10:04 »

I will be picking it up as soon as I can, but from what I've heard the game is both a) awesome, and not because it's FFIV but because it almost feels like it's a whole new game with nearly all the best bits of the original still intact; and b) significantly more challenging, requiring the use of the gameplay updates and new strategies just to survive. (Once you figure out how to not die you can power-level your way through it, of course, but getting to that point actually takes thought and effort now apparently.)
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2008, 10:21 »

I am glad that a new generation (God, did I just say that?) of folks are enjoying this game, because it is a great game, but I don't think it will be worth buying again. The only thing that makes me think about it is the inclusion of voice acting by a few of my favorite voice actors, which is extremely awesome.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2008, 00:58 by Cartilage Head »
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2008, 17:40 »

As ackblom said, this is the second best game in the series, but I don't know if I want to buy it again since I just bought the GBA version a couple years ago. Maybe when it comes down in price I'll pick it up, because Square always charges up the nose for DS games.

Now, the real question for me is what if they do this with VI (they probably will, but for argument's sake let's keep this hypothetical). FFVI is one of my favorite games of all time, but I really think the sprites in that game were great and I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing them all in this new 3D engine. I guess I'll have to see screenshots and see if I totally hate them before I decide on that.

Also, I hear they're fucking serious when they said that the difficulty has been increased.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2008, 00:59 »

I heard that it is as hard as always (which, if you played the hard version, was pretty goddamn hard), but it has been revamped in that you can't use the same strategies you used if you played the game before.
Hate, rain on me

imagist42

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2008, 07:55 »

Yeah, that's basically it. Most people old fogeys are used to playing the game on cruise control, doing the same old stuff, but it's a little bit different and will kick you in the crotch if you don't watch out.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:12 »

I picked this game up last night. I have played Final Fantasy 4 [and 2, when it was called that] more than any other of the series. I found the game vibrantly different from the original in the graphical sense, several exploits within the game have been covered up, and the polish of voice acting and real cutscenes is refreshing as well. The gameplay has changed little from the original and the standard never run away = always win plan works as well as it always has.

For those who have played a Final Fantasy game you will see the standards of the series here. Crystals, objective evil, bad dialog, and a linear story all make their mark here as well but going into a Final Fantasy game you should know what to expect by this time. Active Time Battle makes the game worth paying attention to, an Autobattle system proves that AI still has a long way to go to be useful in games, and the spell/summon system works in a simple drop down menu function like it should. If you've played any of the series prior to X you should have a good idea of what's contained.

For those of you who haven't played the series at all, or any RPG for that matter, I will sum it up for you. If you've never tried an single player RPG because Azeroth takes up too much time, please step away from the computer and go find something fun to do outside. Then try this game as a halfway point between being tethered to your keyboard pressing the same five hotkeys over and over and actual interaction with RL.
Those who don't play RPGs because reading sucks, you are most likely not going to be on a board online posting or at least, not going to be reading what I have typed, due to the amount of polysyllabic words within. In fact IF anyone who has never played RPGs is reading this and made it this far, you will most likely find the game worth playing but you are a weird creature and should first turn yourself over to science for study.

Overall I would say the game is a must for those who's first Final Fantasy game starred some spiky haired effeminate with an overcompensation problem, just for a history lesson. Those who are old hat to the series will find enough "tacked on" to the game to merit a play through to determine if the game is truly worth it to them. And those fanatically devoted to the game [you know who you are] will not be able to sleep until the game is comfortably driven into the warm moist[?] cavern of your DS slot.

The minigames and Whyt summon give the game enough of a connectivity feature that I think the game somewhat uses the DS's powers beyond graphics but those looking for a new touch gimmick should look elsewhere.

I won't bother rating the game on a numerical scale, since I feel games are too nuanced to categorically rate them by a strict number system. Some will enjoy the game based on the reasons posted above and others will ignore it for the same reasons.
Arrogance and ignorance rolled into one sexy package

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2008, 22:03 »

I'm at the Antlion cave right now.

I am genuinely impressed that Square/Enix managed to make me absolutely fucking love playing this game again despite having played it about 50 times since 1991.  Everything is improved.  The new battle system and difficulty are so rad.  Even the voices are very very well done.  THEY EVEN MADE EDWARD A USEFUL CHARACTER THIS TIME.

A minor complaint; the intro CG movie has a fuckton of spoilers (actually, even the MANUAL has massive spoilers!) so I pity anyone who is actually playing this for the first time.

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2008, 00:13 »

The spoiler isn't too bad. After all it does happen after the first two or three hours of play anyhow and is hinted at pretty strongly to begin with. I guess Cecil's change is somewhat spoiled by the manual but the intro video doesn't really give away that much to first time players, at least anymore than a normal opening video does for a Final Fantasy game.

I just got to the Tower in the Underworld. The game isn't too hard to me but that may be due to my obsessive wholesale slaughter of the game's monsters. So far the game has been able to distract me from nearly everything else, which I often find games today to have a severe deficiency in doing so.

imagist42

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2008, 00:22 »

Wow Zot's Tower kicked my trash pretty badly. But then I got to the Magus Sisters and their AI was so jokingly broken I almost felt sorry about ripping them apart. Here's hoping tornado lady is as easy as she always was...

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2008, 00:39 »

The manual and opening also completely spoil Rydia's transformation from young girl to grown woman, and I would say that explicitly telling people that Cecil will change class would detract from the moment.  I know when I first played it, I was genuinely surprised by the entire Mt. Ordeals segment of the game (coincidentally, that's where I am now from playing for the past couple hours.  Damn, Yang rocks in this version).

imagist42

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2008, 00:46 »

He's not quite as good as he first seems once you get him back. Kick used to be the absolute bomb, but now it takes so long to "cast" that it's virtually worthless. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's still a heavy hitter with his normal attacks, but paladin Cecil and Cid match him easily.

Also, yeah, Barbawhatshername is still really really easy. Time to go see the underworld!

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2008, 07:14 »

Actually the reason they extended the time is because his kick can now transfer any status effects to a whole group on monsters. When facinf four or more his Mass Charm/Poison is almost always a great idea, unless I'm fighting elements. Anyone else working on making their Whyt all it can be? I seem to be stuck around 70 for most of his attributes, of course I'm still only halfway through the game [or would this be two thirds?

Well time to go fight Dr. What'shis Name and Belnab. The tornado chick handed my ass to me the first try, I think she got lucky with her crits, but the second she was easier to beat up than a squad of ninja.

This game rocks.

imagist42

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2008, 07:48 »

Well, in retrospect I think Yang is really awesome against bosses with nasty counterattacks, like the giant turtle of tsunami evil, and tornado chick. If you've got the elemental claw they're weak to equipped, you can focus three times then attack, dealing more damage than you would with four normal attacks, and you only face one counterattack. My fight against the Barbawhatever was basically Yang repeating that, Kain jumping when necessary and everyone else defending (or healing when she casts that annoying Tornado spell). Heck, I killed the Dark Dragon (Dark Elf round two) in two hits: Yang, with the fire-based claw, unleashing a fully focused attack as soon as he transforms, and a Tellah casting Firaga.

On another note: one of my favorite additions that uses DS functionality is the dungeon maps that reward you for filling them out. Not only is it decent motivation for actually exploring dead ends (how I still know which ones are and which ones aren't after so many years is anybody's guess), but some of the rewards are quite nice items that aren't readily available at those points in the game (i.e., Phoenix Downs early on, some of the ones recently handing me Ethers and Dry Ethers).

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #16 on: 09 Aug 2008, 01:58 »

The moon core is such an insane leap up from inside the giant. I've had a pair of blue dragons become the shape of my rage as they lay my party to waste in less than two rounds every time. Looks like it might be time for some power leveling.

I'm just so eager to see how much effort was put into the end of the game. Then I can try new game plus, damn time-sink.

imagist42

« Reply #17 on: 09 Aug 2008, 08:38 »

See, and I though the Giant was a ridiculous leap from the surface/caverns on the moon. Those bloody Beam Cannons would rape Cecil (with Draw Attacks) in two hits, and there were usually two of them so that meant one round--the first round--and they were never alone so unless I blew 70 MP on Arise, I couldn't even revive him and bring his health back up before he got killed again. Arrrgh. He gained about half as much experience going through that place as everyone else.

What level were you when you went into the final dungeon?

Dissy

« Reply #18 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:04 »

I just got it.  Fucking Sand Worm, and I hate the "charge" thing before I can attack.
I fuck at typos

imagist42

« Reply #19 on: 09 Aug 2008, 18:10 »

The "charge" for regular attacks is instant, so I don't see what's to complain about there. If you're referring to spells and such, there has always been a casting time, but it hasn't been visible in the previous versions. I kind of like knowing how long it takes, instead of hoping that it will go off in time.

Postino

« Reply #20 on: 09 Aug 2008, 23:19 »

I just beat it and am starting on a new game plus. So far really great, the difficulty is fun, and I love how pretty much every boss has a strategy that once you figure it out makes them much easier. Sure you can muscle past them if you want, but its so much more satisfying to figure out how to beat them.

Oh and guys here is a secret status effects work on tons of mobs. Those blue dragons you were having trouble with they can be stopped. Seriously fucking blue dragons can't do a damn thing.

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2008, 08:39 »

If they kill four party member before you get a turn they can be pretty damn tough. Seems they like taking fourturns before I can get my first spells off.

Got to Zeromus today, he spanked my ass hardcore. Looks like level 75 isn't enough.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2008, 09:14 »

Do you still have the option of stealing the Dark Matter?
Hate, rain on me

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2008, 08:14 »

Yeah the dark matter is one thing I managed to swipe prior to being turned into piles of dust. They use it in New Game+ for something I'm sure.

Dissy

« Reply #24 on: 13 Aug 2008, 08:09 »

The "charge" for regular attacks is instant, so I don't see what's to complain about there. If you're referring to spells and such, there has always been a casting time, but it hasn't been visible in the previous versions. I kind of like knowing how long it takes, instead of hoping that it will go off in time.

No, for every turn you have to charge before you can attack.  I believe it is directly correlated to your spirit.  Basically, after I got the twins, Cecil was attacking two or three times for their one(not including magic spells).  Then they took my levels away.  I was level 63 before the mountain, one after.  That pissed me off
I fuck at typos

imagist42

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:53 »

Um? I'm still not sure what you're referring to. What happens is this:

You have to fill up the ATB gauge before picking your action. How fast it fills depends on your speed, not your spirit. If this is what you are referring to, this has definitely always been in the game since the original incarnation. It's kind of what FFIV is famous for introducing.

Then the action you selected has to charge, although it does not charge while one of your teammates is performing an action (or while you're in a submenu if you're using the "wait" mode). The thing is, for a regular attack this charge is instant (or at least virtually so); as long as someone else is not doing something so the ATB gauge is frozen, the bar will fully charge (from yellow to red) as soon as you press "Attack."

Then actions are performed in a first-in, first-out queue, although sometimes actions that are selected almost at the same time (like, telling everyone to attack one after the other) will be performed out of order. I think this also depends on speed.

Also, yeah, FFIV is one of those games where powerleveling is a pretty dumb idea. Not just with Cecil, but with everyone until you get your final party (as characters seem to be introduced at a fixed level, no matter how high your others are).

Dissy

« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:32 »

Yes, the ATB gage is what I'm talking about.  I don't think Iever played the original, so this is the first run through for me.  Although, it has become less annoying as my teams speed has risen.
I fuck at typos

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:34 »

Yeah, the ATB is just a basic component of SNES-PS1 FF. It's in FF4-9. It's just a way to make the battle seem more real-time, when it's still basically turn-based.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up