THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Smash Brothers Brawl  (Read 336100 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #50 on: 16 May 2006, 12:05 »

Yeah, my friends and I know Fox as a sucky character.  We must not be playing him right.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2006, 12:42 »

Yeah, no one's ever used Fox or Falco as cheap characters in my group. Ness, Marth, Pikachu, Peach, and Captain Falcon are our cheap characters.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Narr

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #52 on: 16 May 2006, 13:03 »

No one mentioned Zelda as a cheap character?

She isn't so bad, but when she turns into Shiek, gg, gl, hf.  Shiek requires little to no skill and can always get back on the board (morph back into Zelda while trying to get on, and you teleport back on top every time).

Fox is also really cheap, but I pretty much only use the sword characters and their reach > his quickness.

In fact, that's why I use the sword guys.  Yeah, they all have long reach, but how else am I gonna keep all the little short shits away from me?  My friends have always been better with the quick characters than I have (see: Guilty Gear's Chipp and Garou: Mark of the Wolf's Rock Howard) so I tend to get good with the ranged characters.

I can't believe no one mentioned Mario.  I LOVE MARIO.  He is so fun to play as, and in 1v1 situations, is unstoppable if you know how to work him.  His smash attack has that little fire poof at the tip of his hands, so even if they parry or hit you, you'll hit them, and his cape is ungodly, especially against characters that have moves that are more horizontal than vertical to return to the map (Donky Kong, Bowser, Luigi, Captain Falcon/Ganondorf, etc.).  Even though I lose with him a lot, I just have so much fun, that I don't even notice.

As for Kirby:  Kirby sucks in SSB:M.  He was awesome in the original SSB, but I honestly don't think he's any good in Melee.  Absolutely NO range and he's not very quick.  He's pretty decent if Samus is in the fight, but then again, why not just use Samus?

Oh, and Samus is a rediculously cheap character.  You guys need to play my best friend.  You will lose.  I guarantee it.  Back in high school with the first Super Smash Bros, kids would be saying all the time how good they were, then me and my friend (who never really gloated because we just played with my other brothers and a couple other close friends) would go to their houses and win 3 v 1 matches against these guys.  We're pretty good.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #53 on: 16 May 2006, 13:20 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Marth

Marth?!  Man, I got nowhere with Marth.

Alegis

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #54 on: 16 May 2006, 13:33 »

Or ness. tried to master him but his lack of double jump (I know you can electrify yourself) or basic combat abilities bothered me.
Hardly used dash for fox, good tip. It is a damn good ability.

dang now I got a lot more interest in playing SSBM again.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #55 on: 16 May 2006, 13:49 »

Ness' baseball bat is good fun.

Fortnight

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #56 on: 16 May 2006, 15:14 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
People who play Marth (or Roy for that matter) suck.

Man, I remember when this was the big complaint.
"STOP PLAYING ROY, IT'S LIKE SO CHEAP DUDE"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #57 on: 16 May 2006, 15:54 »

Hell yes. His stupid damn parry and long-ass sword make me want to strangle anyone who's even halfway decent with him.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #58 on: 16 May 2006, 18:33 »

Basically cheap chars=Any class that has really REALLY fast recovery speed.  And any class that can edge camp, but if you edge camp with me it will be come Real Life:Melee as I pound the shit out of you for being a bitch.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #59 on: 16 May 2006, 19:13 »

I was the cheapest Samus-user ever. I'd stick to the edges of the map, power up the chargeshot, then spam missiles for half a minute. Then, enter the melee myself and launch a chargeshot into the weakest character DIRECTLY after smashing them. Thrusting-gunarm-punch smash attacks followed by a glowing orb of pure doom spells game over for one player.

Go to edge of map, repeat.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #60 on: 16 May 2006, 19:26 »

OK, that's really lame.

I kinda was hoping for more discussion of Brawl than reminiscence of Melee, so let's do this:

Which characters would you like to see most, aside from the ones that were in previous games and the already confirmed new characters (Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake)?

Super attacks: good idea, bad idea, what do you think the other characters's will look like?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #61 on: 16 May 2006, 19:50 »

Now see that makes you a dick.  You would rather win at any cost then take into consideration your friends enjoyment of the game.  If it was a competition against strangers for a prize, I could understand.

And that is why I would hit you.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #62 on: 16 May 2006, 19:51 »

They added all the Nintendo characters I wanted to see.

I want them to have actual alternate costumes for all the characters, not just palette swaps.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #63 on: 16 May 2006, 20:26 »

I think it would be cool to have minigame matches. Basically, you do damage with items, each being a different minigame. You pick it up, and it freezes while the minigame pops up in front, you play it real quick, and based on skill, level of difficulty, and win margin, damage and/or knockback is dealt. This would be perfect with the wiimote, because it could be something simple like a frenzy round of duckhunt, or quick bout of blocking sword attacks.

Also, super attacks are great, but have massive spam potential.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Melodic

• archive chin panties
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #64 on: 16 May 2006, 22:30 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
Now see that makes you a dick.  You would rather win at any cost then take into consideration your friends enjoyment of the game.  If it was a competition against strangers for a prize, I could understand.

And that is why I would hit you.

It's my way of breaking the ice at a gaming party. Everyone ends up ganging up to kill me, then they prolong the game as loooong as possible to make me feel bad. Hilarious hijinx involving popcorn bowls ensue, and we settle into a groove of smack-talk and laughter.

Truth be told, aside from the first fight(or for revenge for a particularly nasty gang-up-on-Samus-hurr), I stick primarily to smashing. I like to say the word, too, while I smash opponents.

"You know Samus ain't a melee character, right?"
"SMASH SMASH SMASH"

SSB/SSBM has got to be the best group-of-friends-gamenight-game EVER.

Also, I refuse to be on-topic and contribute to a list of hopeful characters.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Alegis

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #65 on: 17 May 2006, 07:44 »

Ha yea, awesome game. And if those friends don't really know how to play SSBM  ------>

SUPER SUDDEN DEATH !!

(for which fox is just ownage)

Anyways,
Also, super attacks are great, but have massive spam potential.

They'r item triggered, which will probably be rare.

as for character, sonic as something fast that just spins from side to side has a bit of potential... but then again maybe not. Pit looks kewl to play with.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #66 on: 17 May 2006, 07:56 »

Item triggered or not, there is an option to change drop rates, and i'll be willing to bet that most people i know will whore those out like there is not tomorrow. That being said, I like the ability to do a massive attack to either one or many targets, and the humor value in some (kirby, wario) that keep true to the lighthearted spirit of the game.

Snake might call Metal Gear (randomized ray/rex?)
Metaknight will probably have an air raid typed attack
Pit could unleash a barrage of arrows
Pikachu could die (seriously, im hoping that), or A massive shockwave.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Narr

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #67 on: 17 May 2006, 09:03 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
OK, that's really lame.

I kinda was hoping for more discussion of Brawl than reminiscence of Melee, so let's do this:

Which characters would you like to see most, aside from the ones that were in previous games and the already confirmed new characters (Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake)?

Super attacks: good idea, bad idea, what do you think the other characters's will look like?
The dude from Kung Fu.

While we're at it, any of the Golden Sun characters.  I'd think they'd give Ness a run for the money as far as psychic characters are concerned.

Also, tetris blocks need to be items.

OH, OH!  How about Soma Cruz from Aria and Dawn of Sorrow?  Those two Castlevania games were both on Nintendo Handhelds only, and are Konami liscenced.  Seeing as Snake is a Konami character, I think they'd do it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #68 on: 17 May 2006, 21:51 »

Characters that are fan suggestions being considered for actual implementation:

Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Megaman
King K Rool (Donkey Kong)
King Dedede (Kirby)

That's among a large list, half of which I've never heard of. Mind you, these are only ones that aren't already in the game. The lack of Sonic on the list means he's either already in, or he's already been rejected for legal reasons. Same with a Belmont character, most likely. Geno and Megaman would be pretty awesome, not too sure about the other two.

If Square characters from games on Nintendo consoles are possible, Sabin and Edgar from FF6 or Cecil from FF4 would be great. I'd also like to see Hector from the first Fire Emblem released in America (FE7, I believe), because swinging that big axe around would be badass.

The Mighty Mopdecai

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #69 on: 19 May 2006, 06:54 »

This sounds good.
I haven't seen the trailer yet but this makes me very excited.
I am very happy about Snake being in the game but I reckon the is more come maybe Sonic maybe not (god knows that series could do with some help at the moment) Oh and as for Zero suit Samus  Kawaru wa yo.
Hee Hee

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #70 on: 19 May 2006, 21:35 »

I kinda liked the adventure mode, actually. But expanding on it, maybe adding two or three different adventures so it didn't get too repetitive, would be good.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #71 on: 19 May 2006, 21:49 »

it isnt so much characters being cheap, so much as higher tier.

in most fighting games, there are tiers.

want to see some people playing serious smash bros?  google or youtube that shit, then youll know how ridiculous this game can get.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #72 on: 20 May 2006, 12:38 »

Any class *can* be cheap if they play it cheap.  Using neverending combos, is cheap, certain chars are much better at that(read: Fox) than others.  And edge camping is also cheap, any char can do, some better(read: Fox, Ness, Capt. Falcon) than others.  But as I've stated before, if your playing with friends, being cheap should not be done, nore condoned.  Rise up and rebel, fight the oppression!

TheMedic

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #73 on: 20 May 2006, 13:05 »

I'd love to see the specials be like the ones in the Naruto fighting games.
Each character had their chakra bar that depending on how full it was and which combo you used before a special,
 you would do something different.
(Like Rock Lee had a down X special that after using would unlock a near insta kill full bar special).
 Each special in that game seemed really overpowered until you realized a quick punch would counter the special AND burn up the other players chakra bar.  

Plus some of the specials were just bad-ass, the last character you could unlock, the guy in the long black trenchcoats special was to crucify his enemy and then stab them to the cross they were on.

(this is from the 3rd game in the fighting series, it hasnt been released in america yet which is why I dont know the names or anything)

Narr

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #74 on: 20 May 2006, 20:56 »

I don't see why a Belmont would be so far out of the picture now.

I mean, they implemented Solid Snake, who is a Konami character.  Konami also produces the Castlevania games, hence, it's not unrealistic to think that they might include one of the vampire hunters later on.

About special attacks:  They aren't going to change how you play the game.  They've already had two really successful titles in the Smash Brothers style, and I for one would be angry if they changed it.  If I wanted to play with that Naruto style, I'd play that Naruto game.  *shrugs*  My two cents.

Alegis

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #75 on: 21 May 2006, 03:31 »

Quote from: TheMedic
Plus some of the specials were just bad-ass, the last character you could unlock, the guy in the long black trenchcoats special was to crucify his enemy and then stab them to the cross they were on

Uchiha Itachi ?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #76 on: 21 May 2006, 11:16 »

NERD
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #77 on: 21 May 2006, 12:43 »

Quote from: Narr
I don't see why a Belmont would be so far out of the picture now.

I mean, they implemented Solid Snake, who is a Konami character.  Konami also produces the Castlevania games, hence, it's not unrealistic to think that they might include one of the vampire hunters later on.

About special attacks:  They aren't going to change how you play the game.  They've already had two really successful titles in the Smash Brothers style, and I for one would be angry if they changed it.  If I wanted to play with that Naruto style, I'd play that Naruto game.  *shrugs*  My two cents.

I definitely think the belmonts would be awesome, especially considering they have history on NES and GB, GBC, GBA, and SNES, and some id prefer not to mention on N64.

anyway: captain olimar is one i think they are/should strongly consider.

as for 3rd parties, i dont think capcom will get into it.  I mean they have their oown fighting games to put their characters into.

Some more characters id hope they consider:
King Dedede
Diddy Kong
mr R. Kool
Little Mac (but who DOESNT want little mac)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #78 on: 21 May 2006, 13:29 »

Uhhh like megaman, where ever move transforms him into a different power a la Zelda/Sheik.

Also that guy from punch out would be funny if undynamic.

greenblob

• Not quite a lurker
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #79 on: 21 May 2006, 15:17 »

Quote from: jhocking
I knew a guy who was unbeatable with Jigglypuff.  That's skill.

Jigglypuff is in the top/upper tier. You can't really praise anyone that much for mastering Jiggly.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2006, 21:27 »

Guys, GENO.

Seriously, Geno would be badass. As would Megaman.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #81 on: 21 May 2006, 22:31 »

Oh, hell yes,

Where's my Geno?!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #82 on: 23 May 2006, 03:41 »

This is why you should buy this game;
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #83 on: 25 May 2006, 20:20 »

last i heard geno and mallow were both still umm

how do i word it

ughra

oaky, last i heard square sitll owned the rights to those characters.
sorry, i just had my wisdom teef out, i cannot think!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #84 on: 25 May 2006, 22:21 »

While Square may have partial ownership of these characters still, I have serious doubts they have any plans for them. They could probably be persuaded to sell them to Nintendo for very little, or at least give their permission for one or both to be in the game.

Grimmy

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #85 on: 02 Jun 2006, 07:53 »

I dont own a gamecube, but seeing this trailer made me want to go out and get the wii just for this game alone. But now i want to get the gamecube for the other verion and other games i can enjoy with my kids or if i just want to mellow out a bit.

Grimmy
just WIIed himself

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #86 on: 02 Jun 2006, 19:00 »

Characters I'd like to see:
Vivan and Bobbery from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Alex Roivas - Eternal Darkness, but that would probably bump the rating up a notch so I doubt it (Seriously, though, how awesome would it be to summon Cthulu in the middle of a melee?)
Little Mac would be fun if they did it right, which seems very possible with the new controller.
Non-nintendo characters:
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont would be sweet
I think Megaman would be interesting if they didn't just make him a Samus Clone.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #87 on: 02 Jun 2006, 20:16 »

Quote from: JLM
Viewtiful Joe

I completely forgot about this guy, but I can see him working INSANELY well on SSBB.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #88 on: 03 Jun 2006, 13:59 »

Quote from: JLM
I think Megaman would be interesting if they didn't just make him a Samus Clone.

Do we forget what they did to him in Marvel VS. Capcom 2? Also the tragic MegaMan Power Battles?

Megaman is awesome as an action/adventure 2D platformer, but not a fighter.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #89 on: 03 Jun 2006, 16:15 »

Hate, rain on me

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #90 on: 04 Jun 2006, 13:08 »

SHORRU-TIME

That trailer is fucking awesome and I now need to own a Wii.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #91 on: 04 Jun 2006, 16:03 »

if Konami characters are game, i'd like to see Goemon.  i have good memories of Goemon.

Nintendo characters that would be cool to see: Ridley (though he might be too big), Samurai Goroh, Captain Olimar, characters from Punch-Out (i vote either Little Mac, Bald Bull, or King Hippo), Poo, and comedy option Tom Nook.

and as for the Sonic thing, i'd kind of rather see Knuckles, but they wouldn't put him in unless they already had Sonic.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #92 on: 04 Jun 2006, 17:28 »

Sonic is not on the list of those being considered, which means he's probably either already been added, or has been nixed for legal reasons.

GUYS I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL JANUARY.

But yeah, Snake saying 'Show time' in the over-the-top Japanese accent was the best.

Plus guys: Smash Brothers. Online. SMASH BROTHERS ONLINE.

avs2006

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #93 on: 18 Jun 2006, 22:40 »

Hrm, I'm not sure, but I've heard that some games will require a Gamecube controller to be properly played on the Wii...
SSBB anyone?

Just figured I'd throw that out there as a possibility.

Not likely, but If Sonic were put into the game, then outcry would start from the Sonic fanboys that they need to put Tails and Knuckles into the next (assuming there would be another) game.  But we all already know that Knuckles was the most badass Sonic character.

Also, has anyone else ever played the arcade game where it's kind of like a Sonic fighting game, Sonic Championship I think it's called?

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #94 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:49 »

Why isn't the mushroom guy (MarioKart guy that looks like a mushroom?  Also appears in the Mario Bros 3 and MarioParty) in any of these.  He would rock.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #95 on: 19 Jun 2006, 23:42 »

Quote from: avs2006
Hrm, I'm not sure, but I've heard that some games will require a Gamecube controller to be properly played on the Wii...
SSBB anyone?

its not required.

they said something along the lines of "gamecube owners may not want to throw out their controllers just yet"

davidgrohl, mushroom guy=toad.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #96 on: 20 Jun 2006, 19:31 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
Sonic is not on the list of those being considered, which means he's probably either already been added, or has been nixed for legal reasons.

GUYS I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL JANUARY.

But yeah, Snake saying 'Show time' in the over-the-top Japanese accent was the best.

Plus guys: Smash Brothers. Online. SMASH BROTHERS ONLINE.

I'm entirely undecided on Super Smash Bros over the interweb. On the one hand, multiplayer SSB whenever you feel like it. On the other hand, isn't multiplayer Smash Bros all about yelling, screaming, punching, kicking, unplugging controllers of, and generally abusing your friends when they pull out some insane smash combos? I don't think the game is "complete" without a bunch of close buddies and popcorn bowls turned makeshift weaponry.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #97 on: 20 Jun 2006, 21:01 »

Well I'm more concerned about the multiplayer anytime thing, but yeah, there sometimes just isn't a substitute for people hanging out in a living room.

Still, I'm excited for the prospects.

3rdNewMe

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #98 on: 15 Jul 2006, 14:35 »

Is it bad I don't know who Ashley J. Williams is?

And is it bad I'm not happy about reskinned Samus?  Samus... Samus, there's just something hardcore about her and her orange suit.  Samus, she's the shit.  She's the bomb.  Hell, I'll say it: Samus Aran is The Man.

And while it'd never happen for myriad reasons (even though the Super Nintendo was, by far, the best platform ever for those games), I think it'd be quite entertaining to see a Mortal Kombat character in the Smash Brothers setting.

Spinless

Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #99 on: 20 Jul 2006, 08:29 »

Ashley J Williams is the fucking king.
The King.
Y'know?
The King?
'LISTEN UP YA PRIMITIVE SCREW HEADS!'?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up