THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  (Read 6637 times)

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
« on: 13 May 2006, 18:09 »

I watched it last night, i got a bit confused until it all started to come together at the end. Definately one of the trippiest movies i have seen in a while. It also was one of the only movies with Jim Carrey in it that i kinda liked.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

ASturge

« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2006, 14:45 »

Ah, i think it's great!

Carrey is really good when he's not making a twat of himself.

sjbrot

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2006, 00:08 »

The star team is what really makes it for me with Eternal Sunshine. Script by Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondrie directing, Jon Brion doing the score, and a wack of actors doing some of their better work. I also love the fact that it's a movie that can be watched over and over again and only gives a more enriching experience every time.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2006, 00:33 »

Quote from: ASturge

I definately agree there, i've seen other movies he has been in and this one is probably the best, also, the guy with the thick black glasses who does the memory erasing has also popped up in a few newer girly romantic movies as well.

I also agree that it would be more enrinching the more times it was watched, as it would allow you to pick up on the things you missed, like the objects in the memories disappearing and stuff like that.

EDIT: Enternal Sunshine has also been compared to Fight Club, i really think i should try to watch that again, the last time it did i was too tired and it all went straight over my head. Is it on par with Fight Club, better, worse, or comparable at all?

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2006, 15:17 »

It's not really similar.

Fight club is much darker. Eternal Sunshine has a much happier feel for most of it and is less about "OMG WHAT HAPPENS ISN'T REAL MEMORIES ARE REAL" and more about "ZOMG LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE LOOSE THEIR MEMORIES!"

Fight Club is Ok though.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2006, 16:54 »

I was discussing Eternal Sunshine a few weeks ago with a waitress at my local cafe.  She thought they didn't get back together in the end; I thought they did (so does my housemate).  What do you all think?

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2006, 16:59 »

They do, but they know that they're going to have problems, but that's ok.

At least, that's what I got out of it.

TylerDurden

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2006, 17:04 »

Man I am glad we are discussing the most stereotypical indie films ever.

Did you like Garden State and Crash a lot too?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2006, 17:23 »

Garden State's a pleasant enough way to pass a couple of hours, but it's basically a hipster wet dream  Crash I haven't seen and I have no particular interest in seeing.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2006, 17:51 »

I like all those movies. Bite me.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2006, 17:54 »

Yes ma'am!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2006, 18:49 »

I enjoy both Garden State and Eternal Sunshine a great deal.

Both are awesome potatoes covered in a thick awesome sauce.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2006, 22:45 »

I thought they got back together, but i have just had a complete mental blank. I started watching Garden State, but was at a friends house and had to go home. I haven't seen Crash either, should i be watching them?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2006, 22:57 »

Quote from: ASturge
Ah, i think it's great!

Bill Murray can pull off the semi-serious role pretty well, too. I quite like Lost In Translation and The Life Aquatic.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

AceGun

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2006, 00:12 »

Eternal Sunshine: YES!
Garden State: Eh, it's okay.  Overrated though.
Crash: Oh, holy crap!  This movie is terrible!  SO overrated.  Instead of watching it, you should just have a large man shake you and scream "RACISM!  RACISM!  RACISM!" in your face.

ayePod

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2006, 04:37 »

Or you could just watch other better Crash.

Alegis

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2006, 08:22 »

Ooh I liked the movie, but already forgot most of it. Ah yes the memories fading away, faces melting. Great stuff.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2006, 16:50 »

Which Crash is being reccommended here?

The "RACISMRACISMRACISMRACISM" one or the "Cronenberg is a complete lunatic" one?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Electric Monk

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2006, 02:04 »

There's a surprising amount of actors known for comedy whose best roles are serious. I liked Carrey in ESotSM, and also the Truman Show. I respect him a lot more for those films than, say, the Grinch... Robin Williams is another one. Also Danny Kaye, just off the top of my head.

Garden State was a fun little bit of weirdness. Forgive me, but I don't see why some people trash it for "pretending to be indie" or something like that. Or are these the same people who don't want me to listen to Weezer cause they "sold out"?

I'd rather not see Crash, as Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton are both well-known Film Ruiners for me. Run away!

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2006, 02:10 »

I haven't seen the Truman Show, although i know the basic plot. Garden State has been a movie which people have given me different views on. Is Garden State the movie that begins with the main character in a suit in a restaurant/bathroom/the opening scenes appear greenish?

If that question is unanswerable then i'll have to go and watch the movie, but i think that is all that i remember of the beginning of Garden State.

sjbrot

« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2006, 09:54 »

What I took from the ending of Eternal Sunshine was that they got back together with the express knowledge that their relationship was going to fail no matter what they did. I thought it kinda came back to the general point I felt the film was making: that without making and remembering your mistakes you will be in exactely the same place as you were when you began.

Which sounds a bit cheap and trite when you put it in such simple terms, but that's what I got from it.

Atrocity Exhibition

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2006, 16:42 »

warning: possible spoilers.

I am absolutely in love with Charlie Kaufman's films, ESOTSM being by far my favorite. Michael Gondry's direction also helped to make it an absolute beautiful film, in every sense of the word.

I disagree with sjbrot's view on Eternal Sunshine, but only slightly. I belive that the entire point made by the film was that beautiful things also pass, but that the pain of their leaving is in actuality a part of their beauty. Trying to escape pain through forgetting is to err, because memories, however painful, are only so because they are remnants of both happy and sad times. Joel rushes into the procedure to relieve the sorrow of the end of the relationship, but finds that he values the memories too much to simply throw the entire experience away. Simply, I believe it a fable about accepting fate and treasuring memories.

as for Crash, I had no desire to see the recently released one (it looked like rubbish), but I can strongly reccomend both the David Cronenberg film and the novel by J.G. Ballard. Interestingly, when I searched Amazon to remind myself of the director's name, two of the "plot keywords" options were "leg spreading" and "s&m".
Pages: [1]   Go Up