THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first time ever recording myself, whee!  (Read 2390 times)

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
My first time ever recording myself, whee!
« on: 19 May 2006, 21:58 »

So, I play old-time fiddle, and my recording setup is pretty damn Lo-Fi.

Also, I spent about 15 minutes recording this this afternoon, this has not been finessed by any means. 2 fiddle tracks, one guitar, no effects to speak of.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7FC364DC0D4757F5
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Mikendher

« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2006, 06:10 »

First of all, it sounds good! I wish I were as talented with the violin. :-)

All three tracks first need noise reduction. 50 percent is usually good (more noise reduction means more distortion, so don't overdo it)
Then apply reverb to each track. The violins sound like they need more reverb than the guitar part. The guitar part might even be find without any more reverb.
Finally, I would suggest panning the guitar a little to one side, and the backup violin a little to the other side.

Just suggestions though :-)

roint

A fool and his money are nonexistant.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2006, 13:33 »

That sounds great! I would just leave it alone myself, I don't really hear any noise, but I'm no audiophile anyways.

The Final Whisperer

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2006, 16:35 »

This is some really great fiddling.

I would suggest Layering in a Bagpipe, but that's just because I am addicted to Scottish music, and this reminds me a lot of it.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2006, 23:33 »

Bahahaha, that is slightly outside my range of instrumental mastery >_<

I've been kind of busy, and I'm a complete cubase nublet, but I will try to find noise reduction and panning and such... also, my computer is reallly noisy, it sucks that you can hear the fans in the background.

Also, I just got a new, nicer guitar, so at some point I'll redo the guitar track (which definitely goes out of sync a bit at one point) and play with your suggestions.

thanks guys :D
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

bobthecheese

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2006, 23:43 »

sounds pretty good... almost makes me want to go and pick up my old violin again... but then I remember it's broken and I'm too lasy to fix it... oh well...

I would just suggest that you get something like adobe audition or whatever,a nd just play around with it, and all the different features untill you figure out how to do what you want with it...

nuisance

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2006, 00:21 »

IMO steer clear of reverb.  Or be aware that it's one of those things like, um, well, I could give examples with say Photoshop, but if you don't use it then it'll be meaningless.  But effects are generally something you pile on semi-randomly and can think sound great at first until your ear gets more accustomed to different nuances and so on.

I admit I don't do much recording but I think nothing beats the sound of a room.  Or an underground water tank (thanks, Deep Listening Band!).

I know it depends on your tastes...

If you want some suggestions for VST plugins (Cubase is a host for these (often free) additional effects and instruments), then I'm happy to oblige.  There are some good free ones for doing some basic tidying up of a crappy recording.

bobthecheese

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2006, 00:37 »

I agree... reverb is a widely used effect that has the main purpose of disguisiing the fact that the people playing have no actual talent.

there are times when it's appripriate, but most of the time it (along with chorus and flanger) are over-used and destroy any sound that was actually decent.

just clean up what you have there, and possibly record at a higher kbps... to my ears it sounds a little muted, or possibly a little dead...

if I didn't have other stuff to do I could show to the horror of bad production...

Mikendher

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2006, 08:15 »

I agree that reverb is overused, but I didn't say how much to add. Clearly some is needed, unless you have an acoustically amazing room to record in (which is the best, but almost nobody has this). How much is up to you. I hate people that are just like "no effects! people overdo it!". Of course people overdo it! That doesn't mean no effect is necessary. Reverb is one of the most natural necessities of music, since it is there when played live. So unless your intent is the dry quality of unaltered recordings (which sometimes it can be), you will need a little reverb. This does NOT mean that you need a lot! Sheesh people.

I guess I'm just obsessed with getting the best sound possible :-) Excuse my obsession.

nuisance

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2006, 15:23 »

Quote from: Mikendher

I guess I'm just obsessed with getting the best sound possible :-) Excuse my obsession.

I'm sure those who've responded are all obsessed with this too, we just have different ideas of what the "best sound" is. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up