THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reads like a bad idea, actually pretty great  (Read 2097 times)

nuisance

Reads like a bad idea, actually pretty great
« on: 23 May 2006, 00:05 »

OK, so a bit of a twist on guilty pleasures, I guess...

What are some artists or releases you like that read like a terrible idea but somehow you love them in spite of that?

Sufjan Stevens' 'Illinois' is a prime contender for me.  Music-wise, it's mannered, polite, carefully (and ornately) arranged.  Lots of bits that sound like a musical, no evidence of friction, of physicality, or of party vibes.  The opposite of punk?
Lyrically, it's earnest, sexless and may have loads of wit but very little humour (if you get me, e.g lots of word play and things).

Maybe Justin Timberlake's 'Justified' should go here too?  Ex-boy-band singer rips off vintage Michael Jackson and others in a spit-free rendition of R&B that's like eating 5 boxes of chocolates in one sitting.

How about bands like Galaxie 500 and Spiritualized and so on?  Even Slowdive.  They all seem like they should be endlessly boring, they've all got one fucken song, but I reckon they're generally great.

Jono

« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2006, 01:43 »

Man, I totally think the Raconteurs belong in here. Hear me out:
Less interesting idea, less craziness, the usual "supergroup" hype, and thus curse...

... and yet I can't get this frickin record out of my stereo! Its stuck! On REPEAT! Sheesh... I guess I'm just a sucker for blues rock right now. (Hey, it could SO be worse...)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2006, 05:16 »

Justified is a fantastic damn record.

It's only taken him four years to come up with the as-yet-unreleased follow up...

Oh, and ideas on paper that should suck but don't:
Rammstein
Mad Capsule Markets
SikTh
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

penpen17

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2006, 06:10 »

Metric is kind of that way for me.  At first, it's just another band with a female lead singer that's complaining about society.  However, in reality, their music is incredibly catchy and Emily Haines is totally fabulous

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2006, 08:02 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

Oh, and ideas on paper that should suck but don't:
Rammstein

Explain please?
Pages: [1]   Go Up