THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop question  (Read 2513 times)

Rebound

Photoshop question
« on: 26 May 2006, 00:38 »

Does anyone know how I can do a gradient for a background? I am self tought on Photoshop and can't figure this one out. Any help would be great.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
Photoshop question
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2006, 00:48 »

I'm self taught as well, so there may be an easier way of doing this.
But this is how I would do it!

If you have drawn everything on a layer above the 'Background' layer, it should be simple enough to simply stick your gradient up on the Background.

However, if your picture is drawn on, or is set as, the background layer, you will have to copy-paste the picture onto a New Layer. Make it not visible while you switch to the background layer, then make your gradient. Now make your New Layer visible. Then you can erase the redundant background from this new layer and viola, simple gradient backgroundy dealy.

Ghostwriter

Photoshop question
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2006, 06:19 »

Yep, what Lunchbox said.

Quote from: Lunchbox
However, if your picture is drawn on, or is set as, the background layer, you will have to copy-paste the picture onto a New Layer. Make it not visible while you switch to the background layer, then make your gradient. Now make your New Layer visible. Then you can erase the redundant background from this new layer and viola, simple gradient backgroundy dealy.

I used to have to do that, but I found an easier way.  All you have to do is rename the Background layer by double-clicking on its name.  After you do that, you can manipulate the layer just like a normal one.  So if your artwork is on Background, just rename the layer, add a new layer for the gradient, move the new layer to the bottom, and draw your gradient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up