THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The new X-men(HELLA SPOILERS!)  (Read 41255 times)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
The new X-men(HELLA SPOILERS!)
« Reply #100 on: 02 Jun 2006, 14:00 »

Gambit was supposed to be there, but the actor they wanted couldn't do the filming schedule since it didn't work with Losts' schedule.  And then they didn't have enough time to cast anyone else when it was decided.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #101 on: 03 Jun 2006, 03:09 »

Quote from: Spinless
Gambit had a small action cameo in x2 that was cut.

Not that I've ever heard.  He does, however, get namechecked in the mutant database.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Jedit

« Reply #102 on: 03 Jun 2006, 09:11 »

James Bamford had his cameo as Gambit filmed, but it was never shown.

I'll take your word for it.

Incidentally - given the prevailing negative opinion towards this movie, could we get the thread retitled "HELLA SPOILERS, AND SHIT"?  :)
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Mnementh

« Reply #103 on: 03 Jun 2006, 22:34 »

I thought it was great.  I enjoyed it throughly.

Also, this so made it for me:

"Don't you know who I am, I'm the juggernaut, bitch."

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #104 on: 03 Jun 2006, 23:15 »

I'm still waiting on my call from Halle Berry.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #105 on: 04 Jun 2006, 07:03 »

Quote from: Mnementh

Also, this so made it for me:

"Don't you know who I am, I'm the juggernaut, bitch."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3934651591022114445&q=The+Juggernaut%2C+Bitch
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Mnementh

« Reply #106 on: 04 Jun 2006, 08:46 »

Thanks for clearing that up

Sanitycult

« Reply #107 on: 04 Jun 2006, 15:37 »

Loved it, mostly.  Couple of things: Jean grey is the Pheonix! She resurects herself, that's her most noticable feature.  They never film scott summers actually dying.  He could still be at alkali lake, wandering around blind and trying to make it back to the mansion. Also- I can buy the whole 'only wolvie can kill jean" because leech would die faster than he could depower her and jean would destroy anything that isn't wolvie's flesh that came close to her--including the needles with the cure. Although it seems cheap, xavier being in proteus' body and rearanging himself to look like patrick stewart again with proteus' reality warping abilities, all i'm saying is comics do this cheezy shit all the time and I'd much rather have xavier walking around like he does later in the comics.  As for juggernaut, just like deathstrike in x2, their real histories are so convoluted we needed the movies to make them passable.
That said: Marrow is not a man.  The fuck is nightcrawler? and give us gambit, damnit!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #108 on: 04 Jun 2006, 16:35 »

That wasn't Quill.

According to the credits, it was Kid Omega.

Big ol' WTF?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

poeticallybored

« Reply #109 on: 04 Jun 2006, 18:59 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
That wasn't Quill.

According to the credits, it was Kid Omega.

Big ol' WTF?

Quote from: poeticallybored
IMDB has the guy who played Quill as "Kid Omega." Kid Omega is way different. And on the quotes page, they have him named as Spike, though Spike was the guy who was throwing the bone-like spikes at Wolverine in the forest.

Merkava

« Reply #110 on: 04 Jun 2006, 19:31 »

I'm confident they would!

On Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool: He'd make it just as goofy as the comics, I'm sure he could fake the perfect 'Grovelly Demi-moore' voice.
All he needs is a ton of prosthetic ugly.
They'd better break the fourth wall at least one if they do this...

What about the fat suit from Just Friends.

[/does not know who Deadpool is but thinks that the idea is funny anyway]

Electric Monk

« Reply #111 on: 05 Jun 2006, 12:21 »

Quote from: Merkava
I'm confident they would!

On Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool: He'd make it just as goofy as the comics, I'm sure he could fake the perfect 'Grovelly Demi-moore' voice.
All he needs is a ton of prosthetic ugly.
They'd better break the fourth wall at least one if they do this...

What about the fat suit from Just Friends.

[/does not know who Deadpool is but thinks that the idea is funny anyway]

Deadpool is the coolest self-referential superhero this side of She-Hulk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #112 on: 06 Jun 2006, 06:24 »

I saw it today and I have to say, I enjoyed it muchly.

Sure it wasn't brilliant and it was no where as good as the first two but it wasn't as bad as a lot of you are making out (imo).
The acting was hammy, the plot weak and the character development mediocre but to be honest I didn't expect more than that.
It had cool effects and some cool characters.

P.s. Why does everyone love Gambit so much? I think he fucking sucks but that's just me.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: The new X-men(HELLA SPOILERS!)
« Reply #113 on: 06 Jun 2006, 08:14 »

Quote from: Makeout_Hobo

Kitty Pride was hot.
Damn straight.

I enjoyed the film. I liked the fact they got rid of Cyclops as he sucked. Vinnie Jones was typically awful though.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #114 on: 06 Jun 2006, 11:05 »

kitty pryde is supposed to be jewish...

plus i wanted to see psylocke. =(
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #115 on: 06 Jun 2006, 11:08 »

Yeah I was really disappointed in the no Jew factor too.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

poeticallybored

« Reply #116 on: 06 Jun 2006, 12:18 »

Psylocke was the girl in the Brotherhood with the purple hair.

AceGun

« Reply #117 on: 06 Jun 2006, 12:45 »

Quote from: Rizzo
P.s. Why does everyone love Gambit so much? I think he fucking sucks but that's just me.

He still makes for one cool looking Death.
http://www.mutanthigh.com/coppermine/albums/xmen/185.jpg" width="378" height="568">

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 06 Jun 2006, 13:54 »

Quote from: poeticallybored
Psylocke was the girl in the Brotherhood with the purple hair.

no she wasn't, that was arclight.

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 06 Jun 2006, 14:47 »

at first i thought the purple haired girl was psylocke and i got real excited...
then in the battle, i thought magneto called her arclight, but maybe it was the one that looked more masculine and i just mixed them up.  hooray.

poeticallybored

« Reply #120 on: 06 Jun 2006, 18:08 »

Arclight, Callisto, Psylocke

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #121 on: 06 Jun 2006, 22:09 »

check.

still.  her jugs aren't big enough.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #122 on: 06 Jun 2006, 23:49 »

Gambit d'onna suck mon ami! You suck, kay now friend?

Rubbish. He's arse.

Also, how did Quil(the guy who had spikey skin) get tattoos? Obviously he has some sort of extreme healing factor so that he doesn't die of shock/massive external trauma every time the spikes go out. Therefore how did a tattooist manage to get ink into him?

The badguys in this movie were a bit crap now I think of it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Jedit

« Reply #123 on: 07 Jun 2006, 03:55 »

Quote from: quietnow
her jugs aren't big enough.

Unfortunately, they have to resort to using real people to make live action movies.  This makes accurately depicting most comic characters rather tricky.

Phrozen

« Reply #124 on: 07 Jun 2006, 10:52 »

My guess is that Quil's spikes are kept in pockets or sheaths so he's not actually cutting himself everytime he uses it. Dunno, that sounds more reasonable then a healing factor >.>

AceGun

« Reply #125 on: 07 Jun 2006, 11:13 »

aren't quills just hard, pointy hairs?  So they would grow out of their own pore type things?  Now Spike and Marrow are a different story.  I don't know what the hell's going on there.

ElRodente

• unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #126 on: 07 Jun 2006, 12:58 »

i really hate it if i think about it. but it was entertaining

and fuck yeah kitty Pryde is hot

i hate that psylocke had nothing to do

why didn't colossus have ANY development? i mean, less than anyone else. He ended up a major part of the team, there was a fastball special (YES) yet all we see of him is that he turns into metal and carries big screen TVs

EDIT: THE ENTIRE MAGNETO MOVIE SHOULD BE LIKE SON OF M
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

AceGun

« Reply #127 on: 07 Jun 2006, 13:50 »

a house of M movie would be pretty cool, but I think audiences are already confused enough.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #128 on: 07 Jun 2006, 14:31 »

Colossus didn't get any development because.... what is there to develope?  He's a big guy who turns into metal and stuff.  We already know he's an artist from X2, and its not really crucial that he's Russian, so I really don't think there's much else to say.  He's cool and all at first, but really he's so dull that he's the only core member of the X-men that they've permanently killed off that I can think of.  Movie-wise, he's not important to the plot except that he's a Wolverine catapult.  All we need of Colossus is for him to smash things and get not-hurt.

ElRodente

• unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #129 on: 07 Jun 2006, 14:40 »

afraid to say, not killed off permanently (thank you joss)

my point is, if you're not going to develop him AT ALL, why have him as a major part of the film? exactly the same with angel, had 3 scenes and that was it.

plus he's supposed to have a pretty complex relationship with shadowcat.

edit: plus he is MADE OF RAGE
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

AceGun

« Reply #130 on: 07 Jun 2006, 14:48 »

donovangelonardo,

I really want to scream obscenities at you right now, but instead I'll merely point out that Colossus is an incredibly interesting character.  He is in no way a typical strongman hero.  When his sister was killed he actually left the X-Men and joined Magneto's Acolytes up until their disbanding, but his reasons were not what many would assume.  He had merely abandoned hope for a better world and attempted to find an escape on Asteroid M.  He really didn't want to fight for either side of the battle.  It wasn't until he decided to sacrifice his life in order to save the world from the Legacy Virus that, in my opinion, he regained his hope for helping the world.

Joss Whedon agrees with me, that's why he brought back Colossus early in Astonishing X-Men.  His treatment of Colossus' character and his relationship with Kitty is truly amazing.

Colossus is one of my favorite characters and did deserve more development in the movie, had the movie not already been filled with too many subplots.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #131 on: 07 Jun 2006, 15:34 »

Thank you, AceGun. The only reason a character is boring is if they're written boring. If the writers in X3 were any good they could have done something with him, but they seemed to be struggling enough to include any sort of character development, so I guess they just ignored him.

A shame, really, because I think Colossus is pretty cool. I like that they made him gay (and kind of quiet and lonely) in the Ultimate universe.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #132 on: 07 Jun 2006, 22:27 »

Aww, don't scream obscenities at me, please.  This is the internet, everything I say is IMO by default.  We've got people on this board clamoring for Gambit and others who say he's not so great.  I personally like Colossus, but don't expect a lot from him.  I am aware of his development in the comic, it just doesn't work for me is all.  Plus, it would've been tough to get any of that across, movie-wise.  

I didn't mean to raise a fuss.  Tin-comrade is cool by me.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #133 on: 08 Jun 2006, 13:11 »

My big problem with the movie is the fact that it completely ravaged one of the greatest comic stories ever told. I had no objection with changing the factors that led up to it in X2, no beef with changing minor details within the story, but when you completely change the motivations, relationships, and the ending of the comic, I am no longer content.

1. PROFESSOR X DID NOT DIE. He survived the phoenix storyline and remained important in coming arcs. I realize the need to make him seem powerless, but death was unnecessary. Also, how would one use their powers post-mortem (re: transferring oneself to another body)?
2. WOLVERINE DID NOT KILL JEAN. SHE COMMITTED SUICIDE.
3. SCOTT LIVED. As much as I didnt like Cyclops in the movies, he did survive, and only moved on after Jean's death because she told him to.
4. WHY THE HELL WERE ANGEL, BEAST, COLOSSUS, AND JUGGERNAUT BASICALLY IGNORED?
5. JUGGERNAUT AND XAVIER MET BUT HAD NO REACTION. SORRY, WRONG.
6. PHOENIX WAS A SEPERATE ENTITY. It was a clone of Jean, formed in the same healing cocoon that later revived the real Jean. Also, when phoenix was using its powers, there was never a phoenix-esque shillouette like in the comics, which was a key characteristic imo.
7. MAGNETO VALUED MUTANT LIFE OVER HUMAN. He wouldnt send all those mutants to be depowered. He very well may have left Mystique behind after she was shot, but knowing the danger, he wouldn't sacrifice a mutant life. He is not some elitist, power-loving mastermind.

If they are bringing Prof. X back, the next one could be Onslaught. I hope it will turn out as it should, rather than as some dumbed-down tripe like this one.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Jedit

« Reply #134 on: 08 Jun 2006, 14:23 »

Quote from: neomang5
JUGGERNAUT AND XAVIER MET BUT HAD NO REACTION. SORRY, WRONG.

Sorry, right.  In your fit of obsessive fanboy geekery, you've forgotten that the movies are more closely based on Ultimate continuity.  In that continuity, Cain Marko is no relation to Charles Xavier.

Besides, the "ZOMG Juggernaut is my stepbrother!" thing was one of the many crappy retcons foisted on X-Men during the Completely Shitty Writing years.  Bitching about it not being there is like bitching about how Han fires first in the original cut of Star Wars.

ForteBass

« Reply #135 on: 08 Jun 2006, 15:08 »

The man makes a great point. Seriously. Still enjoyed it. Still waiting on the Halle Berry call (I don't think she's gonna call...)
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #136 on: 08 Jun 2006, 19:07 »

oh halle called my by mistake. i meant to tell you. she says she "wants her underwear back, you perv." she didn't sound to happy about that....

or maybe that was meant for nick... oops!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #137 on: 08 Jun 2006, 20:14 »

Quote from: Jedit

Sorry, right.  In your fit of obsessive fanboy geekery, you've forgotten that the movies are more closely based on Ultimate continuity.  In that continuity, Cain Marko is no relation to Charles Xavier.

I thought all the Marvel films were based on Ultimate continuity. Wasn't that the main reason everyone thought Ultimate was going to become the main continuity rather than Earth 161?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #138 on: 08 Jun 2006, 21:06 »

The X-men films would be loosely based on the Ultimate continuity at best. The first Spiderman film followed the first Ultimate Spiderman arc pretty closely, but that's about where the similarities end I think.

poeticallybored

« Reply #139 on: 09 Jun 2006, 06:46 »

It's Earth 616, I think, not 161.

I forget who said it on here, but I like the idea of the movies being their own fucked up continuity (though that still doesn't excuse all of the movie's pretty high suckfactor).

Phrozen

« Reply #140 on: 09 Jun 2006, 10:41 »

/threadjack

I started reading the Cable and Deadpool comics. I love them.

Thank you. Now back to your regularly scheduled bitching.

/Endthreadjack

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #141 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:33 »

Besides, the "ZOMG Juggernaut is my stepbrother!" thing was one of the many crappy retcons foisted on X-Men during the Completely Shitty Writing years.  Bitching about it not being there is like bitching about how Han fires first in the original cut of Star Wars.

Personal jab aside, I haven't read the Ultimate series for more than a few books, so I was unaware of that. I was assuming that a story about the Phoenix would be based in the universe in which the Phoenix story actually took place. My mistake.

Also, I dont think the jugg/xavier relationship was crappy. I like the idea that the hulking brute is related, though reluctantly, to the crippled mind master. Also, to be honest, i dont give a shit about who fired first in star wars. The comparing my complaint to a timing issue is just a bad analogy.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #142 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:53 »

Bitching about it not being there is like bitching about how Han fires first in the original cut of Star Wars.

Care to extrapolate?  Fired first on what, when where why how etc.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

donovangelonardo

« Reply #143 on: 10 Jun 2006, 12:58 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat

Care to extrapolate?  Fired first on what, when where why how etc.

Fired on YOUR MOM!!

Sorry, I shouldn't have done that.  Your-mom jokes are my great weakness.
He's referring to a debate concerning whether Han Solo fired his blaster first at Greedo or whether it was the other way around in Star Wars IV (A New Hope, the original).  Or wait, were you being sarcastic?  In that case you deserved the your-mom joke.

ForteBass

« Reply #144 on: 10 Jun 2006, 21:35 »

SO HOW 'BOUT THAT X-MEN THREAD.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #145 on: 11 Jun 2006, 07:16 »

Curious, that would seem to contradict my first hypothesis of Wikipedia usefulness, which states that the amount of import a wikipedia article has to world affairs and mainstream intellectual life is directly inverse to its quality, which explains why Wikipedias biography of Spider-Woman is three times longer and more minutely accurate than its biography of Count Sergei Witte.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

AceGun

« Reply #146 on: 12 Jun 2006, 08:58 »

x-men 2099?  One of many pretty lame attempts at showing the Marvel universe in the future.  I have the first couple issues of x-men 2099, but I haven't read them in a very long time.  Most likely because they just aren't very good.  They really had nothing to do with x-men other than the fact that it was about some mutants.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #147 on: 17 Jun 2006, 10:47 »

I quite enjoyed it...
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

_

« Reply #148 on: 18 Jun 2006, 05:39 »

What can you guys tell me about Xmen 2099? Wikipedia has NOTHING.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_2099

Quote from: poetically bored
It's Earth 616, I think, not 161.

616 is correct. Thank you, Alan Moore.

In related news, this film was absolute gargbage, both from a film buff standpoint and a comic fan standpoint. I think the only mindset it could possibly be enjoyed in is the 'OOOH EXPLOSIONS AND PUNCHING, KEEN' frame of mind.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #149 on: 18 Jun 2006, 06:57 »

Is there another frame of mind to choose?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up