THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: children of bodom  (Read 9984 times)

X_Ray

children of bodom
« on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:19 »

any one herd of these guys? there a death metal band from finlad but there hardcore, their guitarest is really good

Maky

Re: children of bodom
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:38 »

...When you say they're hardcore you mean to say their music genre? Because they're certainly not :?

I love Children of Bodom, one of my favorite bands atm :) And while Alexi (their guitarplayer) is really good indeed, Janne (keyobards) and Jaska (drums) are the most impressive elements of the band, in my humble opinion :-D

Outshined

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:05 »

I have air-guitared to their music on more than one occasion ^_^. 

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:19 »

lol Alexi Laiho "good". There's an understatement.

If you can find a bootleg of it or a cheap import, check out their first live album, "Tokyo Warhearts". And I guess they just released another one like..yesterday.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:57 »

childern of bodom

death metal

This is hilarious.

I used to like them. When I was 14. Has it been that long?
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Felix_

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:01 »

I've never been the biggest fan, but they are good party music or when I'm in the mood for something of this sort. Surely, they are NOT a death metal band. That's a huge misconception when it comes to their sound, and infact they are not melodic death either. They are essentially a power metal band with sub-par black metal vocals. Alexi Laiho is a good guitarist though, but the best record he ever played on wasn't a Children Of Bodom record, but an Impaled Nazarene record. ;)

thepugs

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:40 »

The guitar is tasty, though I personally think the band could be 100% better with the addition of a good vocalist and toning the keyboard down.

Nonetheless, I adore them.

Felix_

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:08 »

The guitar is tasty, though I personally think the band could be 100% better with the addition of a good vocalist and toning the keyboard down.

Nonetheless, I adore them.

Why? Then they would be like every other mediocre power metal band.

thepugs

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:18 »

I don't necessarily mean a power metal vocalist...Laiho could be the amazing guitarist for the next <insert subgenre here> metal band.

Felix_

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:21 »

I don't necessarily mean a power metal vocalist...Laiho could be the amazing guitarist for the next <insert subgenre here> metal band.

I don't know what other type of vocalist would work in a band like Children Of Bodom. I think their vocals fit the music quite well, and I think if they did have a vocalist who sang differently, they wouldn't have enjoyed half of the success they have enjoyed thus far.

thepugs

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:31 »

I think it could work, but I'll agree to disagree.

Maky

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:47 »

Quote from: Valley Parade
lol Alexi Laiho "good". There's an understatement.

It was to better emphasize my point that he's not the best item in the band :)

Quote from: Felix_
They are essentially a power metal band with sub-par black metal vocals.

This is by far the best description of their music I've seen yet.

Quote from: thepugs
and toning the keyboard down.

Blasphemous! :-D

I do think Alexi's vocals fit the music. Without him they would be like every other power metal band (as mentioned), and if that were the case... I wouldn't be wasting my time with them :lol: Another thing that people criticize a lot is the fact that their lyrics are pure nonsense. So what... CoB is about the melodies and the riffs, not the lyrics. Alexi has sadi countless times that he's a guitar player, not a singer and certainly not a lyricist. Janne even went as far as saying that he doesn't even read the lyrics to their songs.

Felix_

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:57 »

I think it could work, but I'll agree to disagree.

I think it could work as well. But like I said prior, there are dozens of power metal bands that have clean vocalists where the music is very similair to Children Of Bodom. What makes COB stand out is the contrast between the vocals and the music. That's why they are famous and not merely one of many.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2006, 05:19 »

I'd say they're pretty pretentious, all things considered.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2006, 06:12 »

I think it could work as well. But like I said prior, there are dozens of power metal bands that have clean vocalists where the music is very similair to Children Of Bodom. What makes COB stand out is the contrast between the vocals and the music. That's why they are famous and not merely one of many.

Good reasoning.

I love them.  8-)

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2006, 10:58 »

I used to love them. 5 or 6 years ago.  I still think they are mildly entertaining, but I just get bored when I try to listen to them.  They have a great, catchy formula, but it eventually wears thin.   

I've always called them melodic thrash with bad black metal vocals, but I guess power metal with bad black metal vocals might actually be more accurate.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2006, 11:18 »

"Red Light In My Eyes pt 2" is one of my favourite metal songs, but I agree on the vocals thing. I also don't particularly like any of their newer stuff.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Scytale

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2006, 13:07 »

All these people wanting COB to change their vocals obviously haven't heard Sinergy, Alexi's and  Kimberly Goss, he's Ex-wifes' band

Quote from: Some reviewer
Imagine a Children of Bodom album with more guitars, more melodies, no keyboards and a female vocalist. That's exactly what you get when you listen to Sinergy.

Really good Speed metal.

Felix_

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2006, 14:32 »

Sinergy are fucking horrible.

Scytale

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2006, 15:31 »

I like them... I think Kimberly Goss has a really decent voice, sort of like a female Bruce Dickinson.

Felix_

« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2006, 15:34 »

I've never liked Kimberly Goss, a groupie who slept her way to top of the metal underground. The only thing worse than listening to Sinergy is looking at pictures of Goss! I really don't know what Laiho was thinking. haha...but everyones entitled to their own opinion.

:-D

Scytale

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2006, 16:15 »

I've never really thought of her that way, her lyrics are pretty hypocritical if thats the case...

AlexAttack

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2006, 20:46 »

i half liked a song of theirs i heard 2 or 3 years ago but i'm not really a fan of that type of music.
wouldn't call it death metal or hardcore either. crazy keyboards though.

thepugs

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2006, 23:12 »

All these people wanting COB to change their vocals obviously haven't heard Sinergy, Alexi's and  Kimberly Goss, he's Ex-wifes' band

I said a good vocalist. :p

Maky

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2006, 00:11 »

I've never liked Kimberly Goss, a groupie who slept her way to top of the metal underground. The only thing worse than listening to Sinergy is looking at pictures of Goss! I really don't know what Laiho was thinking. haha...but everyones entitled to their own opinion.

A groupie who slept her way to top of the metal underground? Hardly. It wasn't like "Oh, I'll just put Laiho in my pocket and stardom, here I come!"... She was Dimmu Borgir's session keyboard player even before she even met Laiho (and before Laiho was famous throughout the world), then she met Jesper Str?mblad (In Flames), and that's how Sinergy was formed. Laiho joined later.

And about pictures of her, or what Laiho was thinking. Uhm, oh, geez, I don't know... Perhaps he fell in love? Love is not all about physical appearance you know.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:31 »

And about pictures of her, or what Laiho was thinking. Uhm, oh, geez, I don't know... Perhaps he fell in love? Love is not all about physical appearance you know.

*Snaps*

Felix_

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2006, 06:26 »

A groupie who slept her way to top of the metal underground? Hardly. It wasn't like "Oh, I'll just put Laiho in my pocket and stardom, here I come!"... She was Dimmu Borgir's session keyboard player even before she even met Laiho (and before Laiho was famous throughout the world), then she met Jesper Str?mblad (In Flames), and that's how Sinergy was formed. Laiho joined later.

*gasp!*  :-o Is it? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?! lol

Laiho is probably one of those metalheads who just thinks it's cool to be shacked up with a "metal chick".  :-D
And yes, I know all about her past, hell I even own an Avernus record that she sang on. I never claimed that Laiho was her first "conquest", he was merely one of many. Nevertheless, she's is kind of a tramp and Sinergy violently suck.  :wink:

LadyValerie

« Reply #27 on: 07 Nov 2006, 09:04 »

I've never liked Kimberly Goss, a groupie who slept her way to top of the metal underground.

But she's a fucking cow.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #28 on: 07 Nov 2006, 20:07 »

Apparently, metalheads are not picky.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2006, 08:29 »

Meh.  The "supply" of female metalheads is somewhat limited, so I guess the guys take what they can get...

Scytale

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2006, 10:31 »

Meh.  The "supply" of female metalheads is somewhat limited, so I guess the guys take what they can get...

Meh as far as Femal Metal musicans go I'd take Jo Bench any day.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:30 »

(Goes back to topic) CoB's live show is just fucking amazing! Saw them once at Ilosaarirock festival :evil: It was pretty fun to mosh when you're totally wasted.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006, 19:04 by Jed »
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:41 »

BEHOLD, O INFIDELS, YOUR "GOD":

Weep, ye of faith, for the little fat man behind the curtain has been revealed!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2006, 10:05 »

Alexi Laiho is pretty good, but he doesn't really show it off much on the albums.  He was busting Vivaldi in some instructional DVDs.  If you like those guys, try Kalmah and Seibenburgen.  First one's deathier, second one's blackier.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2006, 11:12 »

Kalmah is pretty great, and they do indeed sound like a better version of CoB.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: [1]   Go Up