Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

  • 27 Nov 2021, 00:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Place to Bury Strangers  (Read 3864 times)

Azathoth

  • Guest
A Place to Bury Strangers
« on: 28 May 2006, 12:38 »

This band is super-rad.  They have amps that go to 11 and build their own effects pedals - it doesn't get much cooler than that.  If you dig echo, reverb and feedback they'll kick your ass.

+ they give away all their songs for free:

http://aplacetoburystrangers.com/

I'd recommend starting with I've Lived My Life... or Missing You.

Listen, show some love.

ps. Don't let the name fool you, this is not some shitty emo band.
Logged

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2006, 19:44 »

You had me until 'super-rad.'

valley_parade

  • coprophage
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7,320
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2006, 20:23 »

Super Rad was a pretty awesome Aquabats song.
Logged
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Azathoth

  • Guest
re
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2006, 10:51 »

Quote
You had me until 'super-rad.'


Maybe I was being ironic.  I don't know who you think you are but trust me, I am at least one step ahead of you in the smartass department.  Why don't you comment on the band instead of my choice of colloquialisms (ironic or otherwise)?
Logged

onewheelwizzard

  • GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,597
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2006, 11:05 »

I started out sorta liking these guys, but my opinion of them went downhill as I kept listening.  They need more solos and actual acoustic drumming.  Their songs sound more to me like pop songs that use whatever distortion they're using than original work that was built *for* their sound.  It doesn't fit.  It's just their songwriting style I don't like, though, for the most part I think I could enjoy listening to it otherwise.

To give you and idea of what direction I'd've liked them to take instead, listen to Dead Meadow or Subarachnoid Space.  Both of these bands capitalize on the tone distortion they use and generally write their songs with it in mind.  A Place To Bury Strangers, it seemed to me, just wrote songs normally and then played them with their own distorted instruments.  It didn't fit as well in my opinion.
Logged
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
Re: re
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2006, 17:10 »

Quote from: Azathoth
Quote
You had me until 'super-rad.'


Maybe I was being ironic.  I don't know who you think you are but trust me, I am at least one step ahead of you in the smartass department.  Why don't you comment on the band instead of my choice of colloquialisms (ironic or otherwise)?


Well for one thing, the interent doesn't convey irony.

I'd comment on the band but for the fact that you called them 'super-rad' - without a hint of irony as far as I was are. I could also picture our good friend xeyelinerx applying such a phrase, and since she was about I didn't see any reason for more of her ilk to not come tramping in.

As for listening to the band, I may well get around to it in the next week; I have more pressing things to listen to and review at this point.

Scandanavian War Machine

  • Older than Moses
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4,236
  • zzzzzzzz
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2006, 17:53 »

i dont get it. whats wrong with the term 'super-rad'? is it against the code of indie-jackass-elitist-pigfuckers to use the term 'rad'? or was it the fact it followed 'super'? or was it the hyphen? seriously what the fuck. maybe super-rad is just part the vernacular where hes from. everyone speaks differently; so what. get over it.
sorry to be rude but it drives me crazy when people feel the need to let people know that some insignificant thing they did was fully and completely offensive for no reason and they should be ashamed for doing it. fuck you guys.
Logged
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2006, 17:55 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
i dont get it. whats wrong with the term 'super-rad'? is it against the code of indie-jackass-elitist-pigfuckers to use the term 'rad'? or was it the fact it followed 'super'? or was it the hyphen? seriously what the fuck. maybe super-rad is just part the vernacular where hes from. everyone speaks differently; so what. get over it.
sorry to be rude but it drives me crazy when people feel the need to let people know that some insignificant thing they did was fully and completely offensive for no reason and they should be ashamed for doing it. fuck you guys.


Bahahaha. I want to give a calm, measured response, but that post is too damn funny.

Scandanavian War Machine

  • Older than Moses
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4,236
  • zzzzzzzz
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2006, 18:02 »

thank you. i'll be here all week.
Logged
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Azathoth

  • Guest
re
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2006, 19:02 »

Quote
As for listening to the band, I may well get around to it in the next week; I have more pressing things to listen to and review at this point.


After reviewing the content of your site, I seriously doubt that.  Way to go on covering bands who already have major label money and promoters shoving flyers in my face.  That's some cutting edge music journalism.  Here's a hot tip: Tool just released a new album.  My grandma tells me they have quite the buzz going in the underground.  Maybe you should review them (that is sarcasm btw).

Quote
Their songs sound more to me like pop songs that use whatever distortion they're using


That's pretty much the point.  Thank you for being relevant.
Logged

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
Re: re
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2006, 09:10 »

Quote from: Azathoth
Quote
As for listening to the band, I may well get around to it in the next week; I have more pressing things to listen to and review at this point.


After reviewing the content of your site, I seriously doubt that.  Way to go on covering bands who already have major label money and promoters shoving flyers in my face.  That's some cutting edge music journalism.  Here's a hot tip: Tool just released a new album.  My grandma tells me they have quite the buzz going in the underground.  Maybe you should review them (that is sarcasm btw).


How about you talk to my boss about that, dear. I'm just a lackey. By 'more pressing' I mean 'she'll fire my ass if I don't do it.'

Note, I did say I was going to give it a listen. If I'd liked what I heard, I might have offered to do a proper demo review for the band on said website. I'm not implying this would be like a boon from Caesar or anything, but I'm sure you would have appreciated it.

However, now, you can go fuck yourself.

Garcin

  • Guest
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2006, 11:38 »

It sounds like a bad Bowie imitator singing over Juno Reactor's lost EP.  You know that visualization thing that Windows Media Player does?  It drew a cock.  Seriously.

So I guess you could say that I'm ambivalent about this band.
Logged

onewheelwizzard

  • GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,597
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2006, 12:18 »

See, I see pop songs with distortion added as being nothing more than that.  And I don't particularly like pop songs for the most part (and by "pop songs" I mean just about anything that could've concievably been written with FM radio in mind).  So to me it's just a band I wouldn't like in the first place making their sound weirder.

Also, DynamiteKid, you are being a jerk (or at least you began the jerkitude and you seem intent on continuing it).  Those who are responding to DynamiteKid, you are also being jerks because you are allowing this silliness to continue and the rest of us do not like it.  Shut up now, all of you.  I know how tempting it is to impress the rest of the internet with your ability to wittily insult each other, but we're not impressed.  If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Logged
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

tommydski

  • Awakened
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10,064
    • Pocket Jury
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2006, 12:24 »

Quote from: moiche
You know that visualization thing that Windows Media Player does?
It drew a cock. Seriously.

bwahahahaha!
hahahaha!

heee heee heee!
Logged
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2006, 13:43 »

Quote from: onewheelwizzard
See, I see pop songs with distortion added as being nothing more than that.  And I don't particularly like pop songs for the most part (and by "pop songs" I mean just about anything that could've concievably been written with FM radio in mind).  So to me it's just a band I wouldn't like in the first place making their sound weirder.

Also, DynamiteKid, you are being a jerk (or at least you began the jerkitude and you seem intent on continuing it).  Those who are responding to DynamiteKid, you are also being jerks because you are allowing this silliness to continue and the rest of us do not like it.  Shut up now, all of you.  I know how tempting it is to impress the rest of the internet with your ability to wittily insult each other, but we're not impressed.  If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.


Are you serious? I can't believe that I get singled out on this one thread out of this entire board of snide, dismissive dickheads.

BillyxRansom

  • Furry furrier
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 165
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2006, 06:59 »

Quote from: onewheelwizzard
See, I see pop songs with distortion added as being nothing more than that.  And I don't particularly like pop songs for the most part (and by "pop songs" I mean just about anything that could've concievably been written with FM radio in mind).  So to me it's just a band I wouldn't like in the first place making their sound weirder.

Also, DynamiteKid, you are being a jerk (or at least you began the jerkitude and you seem intent on continuing it).  Those who are responding to DynamiteKid, you are also being jerks because you are allowing this silliness to continue and the rest of us do not like it.  Shut up now, all of you.  I know how tempting it is to impress the rest of the internet with your ability to wittily insult each other, but we're not impressed.  If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
okay Barney the big gay Man-o-saur.
Logged
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

onewheelwizzard

  • GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,597
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2006, 15:14 »

DynamiteKid, I only pointed you out because you started it.  You gave an unnecessary and unconstructive snide comment, and then, when you got a response (which I'd agree was pretty poorly chosen as well and didn't improve things) you put up a defense of a rather indefensibly negative comment, added a few more similarly negative comments, and just generally exascerbated things.  I didn't mean to say that you're significantly worse than anyone else, I'm just saying you started it and kept it going, and if I were a mod and I had to hold only one person responsible it would be you.

That said, the rest of you guys are no better.  I used to think the QC forums were a fairly good place to go if one wanted to avoid 12-year-old behavior, but this thread has put a dent or two in that idea.

BillyXRansom, you appear to be acting on an even lower level, more like a toddler than anything else.  That said, however, knowing what your "insult" is trying to convey (namely, that I'm trying to get people to at least be civil to each other, regardless of whether or not this somehow makes me "gay"), I'm choosing to take it as a compliment.  So thank you.  I try.
Logged
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Thrillho

  • Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13,182
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
A Place to Bury Strangers
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2006, 17:42 »

Quote from: onewheelwizzard
DynamiteKid, I only pointed you out because you started it.  You gave an unnecessary and unconstructive snide comment, and then, when you got a response (which I'd agree was pretty poorly chosen as well and didn't improve things) you put up a defense of a rather indefensibly negative comment, added a few more similarly negative comments, and just generally exascerbated things.  I didn't mean to say that you're significantly worse than anyone else, I'm just saying you started it and kept it going, and if I were a mod and I had to hold only one person responsible it would be you.


It was just a passing jibe because I didn't have time to click the link at that point. God bless the internet, it doesn't convey sarcasm or good-natured ribbing. As I said, I had every intention of coming back and taking a look. I'm always interested in up-and-coming bands.

Azathoth

  • Guest
re
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2006, 18:03 »

OK, I feel sufficiently vindicated by OneWheel's half-assed implication of DK as well as DK's one quarter-assed concession (that's how I'm reading it anyway).

I seriously don't care if what you have to say is nice or not.  Just keep it on topic.

Quote
See, I see pop songs with distortion added as being nothing more than that.


Too each his own.  I think this is a Hey, you got peanut butter in my chocolate! thing.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up