THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mogwai Concerts  (Read 8656 times)

Tokuma

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.last.fm/user/tokuma/
Mogwai Concerts
« on: 08 May 2006, 22:25 »

Ok, so I need to thank you Jeph for introducing me to Mogwai, they are a truly sensational band. I have JUST returned from a Mogwai concert and I must say; It was one of the most AMAZINGLY AWESOME THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN. With the lights, and the sounds, and the OH MY GOD! Mogwai can liquify my internal organs and take my hearing any day. They where so amazing that I cant even describe it. Now I would take this with a grain of salt  considering that this is the second concert I have ever been to, which is quite sad considdering that I live in Athens, GA. BUT STILL, it was amazingly powerful and awesome. Probably the most amazing expierence in my life to date. 120 minutes of sheer bliss.

P.S: Please ignore the spelling, it is two in the morning after all and I cant stop shaking from post-mogwai-concert-happiness.

P.P.S:OMFGFUGGINAWESOME

thermodynamics

Re: Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2006, 22:29 »

Quote from: Tokuma
thank you Jeff

you mean Jeph? i mean, yeah its late, but damn, he's the reason the whole motherfucking QC community exists. eh, this is your warning, nurr.

Tokuma

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2006, 22:43 »

OMG, yeah, I meant Jeph. I didnt even realize that I had spelled his name wrong, thanks for pointing it out ^_^

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2006, 22:49 »

Yes! Mogwai concerts are awesome.

Here in Mexico they opened with Mogwai Fear Satan and did My Father My King for the Encore. IT was incredibly awesome.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2006, 22:49 »

Yes! Mogwai concerts are awesome.

Here in Mexico they opened with Mogwai Fear Satan and did My Father My King for the Encore. IT was incredibly awesome.

timehat

Re: Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2006, 23:51 »

Quote from: Tokuma
this is the second concert I have ever been to, which is quite sad considdering that I live in Athens, GA.

That is sad. People need to support music and musicians, unless they really don't care, I suppose. You apparently seem to care, though, so you should see more concerts in the future. It will be beneficial to everyone.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2006, 23:57 »

everyone starts somewhere dude.

i've heard that mogwai are quite earbleeding live. if they ever come around vancouver i'll be investing in some quality earplugs. always protect your ears kids!
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Tokuma

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2006, 07:49 »

I actually had earplugs, but I never actually thought of using them. Though it would have probably ben a good idea. It was very ear-shattering.

thermodynamics

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2006, 17:52 »

athens is the fucking motherland of indie in the south

Spartan Pho3nix

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2006, 18:42 »

Saw em at coachella. I was so close to the stage...it wasn't even loud. Cause the speakers were basically behind me. byotch!

penpen17

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2006, 19:47 »

I'm going to see them in a week and a half.  I'm totally excited

ayePod

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2006, 01:51 »

Nothing quite like a hometown Mogwai show. With Errors and Trout supporting.

mac_fodder

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2006, 13:03 »

Seeing as this is my first post, i suppose this is a good as any.

I just saw them live in DC last night. It was awsome. I think it may have been a bit overshwhelming for my friend, but she still said she had fun. Up until the last bit of feedback induced drum machine driven madness.

The only thing I've ever been to that was louder and sustained was an American Le Mans race. Both equally intense but on 2 completly different levels.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2006, 16:05 »

Seeing them on the 16th. I'm so excited because last time they came, which was a very long time ago, I wasn't legal. I'm going solo unless I can convince someone to come. I don't even care, I'm just excited to see one of my favourite bands live!
I like the way you work it.

Symptom

• Plantmonster
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2006, 16:26 »

Skibas, come see them in montreal WITH ME!
I'm also totally alone to go see that show, and I got no serious mean of transportation to Toronto. Booh for not drivng :(
the poster formely known as gutyreader

Aneurhythmia

• Obscure cultural reference
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2006, 16:34 »

Quote from: thermodynamics
athens is the fucking motherland of indie in the south

People like to act like it's still as relevant as it was in the 80's, but these days it's more of a decaying shell of waste, shitty bars, and a glut of generic partytown nonsense.  Still, they have good bands like anywhere else.  Cinemechanica, We vs. the Shark, and Hope for Agoldensummer all seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

Felix

• Emoticontraindication
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2006, 16:56 »

I'm really pissed, because I CAN'T SEE THEM ON MAY 15TH!!! Why, oh why! must I have got (sounds confused) my summer class schedule only after I bought my ticket!

Tokuma

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2006, 19:48 »

Quote from: mac_fodder

I just saw them live in DC last night. It was awsome. I think it may have been a bit overshwhelming for my friend, but she still said she had fun. Up until the last bit of feedback induced drum machine driven madness.

The only thing I've ever been to that was louder and sustained was an American Le Mans race. Both equally intense but on 2 completly different levels.

I actually got a huge hug from the friend I brought. I had introduced her to Mogwai a few months earlier. After the concert she has not stopped listening to them.

As for the loudness; I spent the entire next day yelling at people about how I couldn't hear because my ears where filled with awesome. But it was so worth it. And that feedback induced stuffness was crazy, and slightly painful.

edwartica

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2006, 21:45 »

I'm seeing them in a couple weeks. seriously stoked. Its going to be my first Mogwai concert.

Did anyone catch the live stream on NPR's website last night?

Omnicide

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2006, 10:13 »

Saw them earlier in the month. Spectacular. WARNING: The insanely loud techno piece at the end of the set'll last ten minutes...

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2006, 11:28 »

Mogwai is cool. Not that I'll probably ever see them live.  

But on the volume thing, seriously, isn't there a point where it gets kind of ridiculous and stupid to keep turning it up?  Much as I hate it, I might have to start investing in ear plugs.  I already have some hearing loss from childhood  illness, and I really can't afford to lose my hearing, seeing as I'm studying music and all.  I was at a post-hardcore show a few weeks ago, standing in front of one of the speakers, when the bassist stepped on his cord and unplugged. My ears rang for a half hour.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2006, 12:01 »

Quote from: Symptom
Skibas, come see them in montreal WITH ME!
I'm also totally alone to go see that show, and I got no serious mean of transportation to Toronto. Booh for not drivng :(

Man, if I had money, I'd already be in Montreal, just enjoying the city! I'm actually missing my first day of my summer calculus coarse to see the show. This fact clearly does not bother me. I like Mogwai much more than I like calculus!

Staralfur

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2006, 13:43 »

I am going to see them soon, for people who have seen them- they're not going to make me go completley deaf, will they? They're loud, but are they dangerously loud?

Losing my hearing would pretty much be the worst thing that can happen.

Omnicide

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2006, 14:01 »

Quote from: Staralfur
I am going to see them soon, for people who have seen them- they're not going to make me go completley deaf, will they? They're loud, but are they dangerously loud?

Losing my hearing would pretty much be the worst thing that can happen.

not dangerously. Just brace yourself for the last ten minutes/

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2006, 16:17 »

Of course one show won't instantaneously turn you deaf, but prolonged exposure, both at shows and through headphones will eventually.  Its kinda sad because I go to a lot of shows that have to be loud by the definition of the music, and I don't like the idea of ear plugs, but I might have to start using them.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2006, 16:23 »

Quote from: beat mouse

i've heard that mogwai are quite earbleeding live. if they ever come around vancouver i'll be investing in some quality earplugs. always protect your ears kids!

They have a show scheduled in Vancouver at the Commodor Ballroom soon.  Unless it's already happened.  Either way, I can't go, what with the damn 19+ness...

Tokuma

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2006, 19:14 »

Quote from: Dark Flame
Quote from: beat mouse

They have a show scheduled in Vancouver at the Commodor Ballroom soon.  Unless it's already happened.  Either way, I can't go, what with the damn 19+ness...

Hehe, I had the same problem. Luckily my friends sister knew the folks who owned the club and managed to get us in.

Staralfur

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2006, 21:46 »

Heh, i'm 13 and it's all ages. Woot for me. Everybody stares at me weird when I go to concerts like "WTF LITTLE KID"

a.green.martian

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2006, 19:20 »

Quote from: mac_fodder

I was at that show too, it was crazy. I was amazed by the breeze created by the speakers.

stiricide

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2006, 11:22 »

i saw 'em in philly last week, and i was little disappointed.  everyone's been talking up how damn loud they are, and like they've never heard anything like it before... and i have.  dalek, mono, heck, even isis did a better job of accomplishing an eardrum splitting wall of sound.  but maybe it was just the venue.  i'm glad i went, but i dont' think i'd bother again.

(but, you should wear earplugs at EVERY show, your eardrums will thank you when you're old.)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2006, 14:15 »

I've seen Mono (my daddy took me ), and though they were very loud, they weren't as loud as Mogwai. Bits of the motherfucking ceiling started to crack and fall down.

Tokuma

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2006, 16:48 »

Quote from: stiricide
i saw 'em in philly last week, and i was little disappointed.  everyone's been talking up how damn loud they are, and like they've never heard anything like it before... and i have.  dalek, mono, heck, even isis did a better job of accomplishing an eardrum splitting wall of sound.  but maybe it was just the venue.  i'm glad i went, but i dont' think i'd bother again.

(but, you should wear earplugs at EVERY show, your eardrums will thank you when you're old.)

The Vuenue they played at here was actually small. I'd say on a good night you could fit MAYBE 100-150 people in there. There where only 50-60 if even that at the show. But they crammed more speakers in there then I have ever seen in once place. That and the small space combined to be quite ear shattering. So it could just be the venue they played at...

nihilist

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2006, 08:43 »

Damn, but they were sweet last night. The venue was pretty good, except that it was a sweatpit and smelled like dirty nuts.  I found myself an AC vent and spent the entire show standing by it just to not die of overheating.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2006, 09:00 »

Speaking of that show, where were you? I was up on the balcony. I had a pretty good view except for sometimes the dude infront of me would sway and cut off some of the stage. Good God though, it was a fantastic show!

nihilist

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2006, 09:03 »

I was also on the balcony, standing in front of one of the AC vents.  Mmm, AC.

I am also tall enough that I could see over everybody standing in front of me.  That was handy.

penpen17

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2006, 00:15 »

I just saw them tonight, it may have been the best experience of my life.  It's certainly the best concert I've ever been to (take into consideration that I've only been to like 8 concerts ever)

borderline blues

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2006, 03:16 »

Mogwai is absolutely excellent live.

If only my camera didn't break, I'd have a pretty nice recording of them, too.

Shucks.

I, err... saw them at Coachella. They were one of the few bands worth my ticket this past year. It was disappointing.

Disgustipated

Mogwai Concerts
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2006, 16:56 »

The Australia dates have just come out and they happen to be IN THE ONE WEEK THAT I CANNOT GET TO A SHOW!

Seriously, death and destruction are imminent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up