THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 11:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more condescending mac ads  (Read 7594 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
more condescending mac ads
« on: 04 May 2006, 07:21 »

I like apple computers, and I like the industrial design of their hardware, but I really wish they'd knock it off with the self-gratifying ads:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Who do they think they are, Grey Poupon?

Phrozen

« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2006, 07:33 »

Ha? I didn't get iLife bundled with my mac...

And at least windows doesn't make you pay for service packs.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2006, 07:46 »

But Joe, they are better than us.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

iconoclast

• Plantmonster
  • quaker oats for you, it's the right thing to do
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2006, 07:59 »

my mac totally knows it's better than me.

wait, i didn't type that! *strangle*

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2006, 08:19 »

Quote from: Phrozen

Neither does Apple, actually (see 10.x.y updates).

I've been wishing for a while that they'd knock off the windows bashing and switch to something that tries to stand on its own merits. I guess they're catering to the fanboy base :/

Kid Modernist

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2006, 15:01 »

I didn't think it was all that bad... I mean, not bad in the sense that it was on the level with all commercials... bad.

Bunnyman

« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2006, 22:44 »

Quote from: Catfish_Man

Play them technicalities for me again, Catfish Man.

It must, of course, be noted that, for all their failings, Microsoft doesn't release another $100 version of their OS every year and a half.

Contrapuntally, Widgets = the shit.   Conflicted!

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2006, 15:43 »

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about this?

But yes, I've watched those ads, and they bothered me. Especially since the Apple guy is cute. Ack.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2006, 17:00 »

Man, I would quote the Penny Arcade on this subject, but I need to stop using them to make all my arguments for me.

Apple users can be gigantic throbbing cocks, is the general statement I am implying. Seriously guys, condescending over computer brands is among the fucking dumbest things I've ever heard. It's up there with people holding prayer meetings to ask God to lower gas prices.

Well, maybe not. But stop it anyway.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2006, 18:49 »

I kind of liked them the first time I saw them. Now they bug me.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2006, 22:53 »

As far as I'm concerned, anywho who spends the sort of money you pay for a computer based solely on a TV ad is a moron. This is regardless of what the ad is for.

Edit: Redundant words in sentences are for no!

Alegis

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2006, 12:04 »

What a bullshit ad. If it were very funny, I'd excuse em. But it's dull and lame.

Should redo something like the "Apple vs IBM" ad YEARS ago.

Lichen

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2006, 20:17 »

Mac did a awesome job on the stereotypes.   Even though it's a couple years old I'm still in love with Ellen Fiess Mac commerical though.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2006, 02:57 »

Quote from: Stifled Dreams
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about this?

But yes, I've watched those ads, and they bothered me. Especially since the Apple guy is cute. Ack.

If I remember correctly (which I'm not sure if I do) I think my brother said he was in the movie Roadtrip.  Also I think he was on one of the last of one of the last couple of That 70's shows episodes.

Also, If one finds advertising on television annoying just change the god damn channel.  JEEBUS!

Phrozen

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2006, 00:00 »

Randomness... the new MacBook's exterior heats up a whopping 119.7 degrees farenheit! Thats sperm killin' territory right there I'd think.

Sperm > Macbook

Also, about that service pack comment I made earlier, compare Tiger to SP2 from an objective view point, then factor in all the stuff that microsoft has released free to enhance their OS. I was shocked myself.

And for the record I have a 1.4ghz iBook that I like a lot.

Hmmm... maybe this is all a conspiracy to weed out the people who buy Macbooks? Perhaps, in the end, Steve Jobs is really nothing more than a Bill Gates drone! Dun dun DUN!

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2006, 02:19 »

meh...If the worst thing that happens from me using a mac is temporary infertility, no big loss. Not like I'm out trying to plant my seed everywhere anyways.

I'm torn on these ads. I'm  a bit annoyed by some of the commercials (particularly the "virus" commercial) but I'm such a fan of John Hodgman and his deadpan style that it almost negates it.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2006, 07:05 »

Randomness... the new MacBook's exterior heats up a whopping 119.7 degrees farenheit! Thats sperm killin' territory right there I'd think.

One more reason to get one.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Phrozen

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2006, 16:17 »

I might be wrong... but I think that could lead to permanent damage.

And apparently Apple issued a warning about using your laptop on your lap. Am I the only one with an Irony meter going off?

superrob

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2006, 16:37 »

And apparently Apple issued a warning about using your laptop on your lap. Am I the only one with an Irony meter going off?

Thats because  a leg can easily block the exaust prots, which would allow the laptop to get so hot that it could cause severe burns.

Also, this summarizes macs quite well:
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513

agentkolter

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2006, 16:42 »

I might be wrong... but I think that could lead to permanent damage.

It is ironic, but like most people I know, my laptop is my only computer and I hardly ever actually use it on my lap.  It's always on a desk or table in front of me.  I would never buy a desktop computer again, though, because it's important to me to be able to take my computer with me wherever I need it.  I think this is just an ongoing trend that people are using laptops as their primary computers more and more (probably some indication of how we're becoming more and more reliant on computers and addicted to them), so it probably doesn't even matter that it gets that hot.

JLM

« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2006, 17:56 »

Quote from: superrob

Also, this summarizes my opinion of macs quite well:
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513

fixed.

Phrozen

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2006, 23:05 »

I'd like to point out that the top of the Macbooks also reach a temperature of about 96 degrees. Not damaging, but still hot.

And about exhaust ports, most of those are on the back or on the side, nowehere near your legs, how on earth could you block one?

And yeah when you can't put a laptop on your lap something is wrong. I mean hell, you can put an XPS or Area51m on your lap... provided they don't go numb from the sheer weight of them, those things are heavy.

lil_john_pi

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2006, 00:30 »

you do know that laptops actually come with warnings not to use them on your laps because of teh bad posture and heat.

and yes the name does kinda suck

superrob

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2006, 00:36 »

And about exhaust ports, most of those are on the back or on the side, nowehere near your legs, how on earth could you block one?

I have the fan intake on the bottom, and if i'm not careful, i can easily block it, and the laptop will get so hot that i cant' touch it.   Its not a problem if its on a surface of a desk or somewhere flat, but the intake can easily be blocked if its on a blanket, bed, leg, pillow, or even a rug.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2006, 04:44 »

I make movies. Short Films, silly features, music videos. So Macs and Final Cut Pro, make me salivate. Being able to put together a whole project without it crashing would make my life much easier. I still love my PC though and am an avid gamer. I'd like to get an iBook for something similar.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

edscoble

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2006, 15:05 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
Quote from: Catfish_Man

Play them technicalities for me again, Catfish Man.

It must, of course, be noted that, for all their failings, Microsoft doesn't release another $100 version of their OS every year and a half.

Contrapuntally, Widgets = the shit.   Conflicted!

not to mention that IF Apple didn't release their OS every single years, and if we estimate what OS Apple have at the time XP was release, it would be... just about 10.1, so I used 10.1 before (on my old shite G3 iBook, you know, the colourful one) and I prefer XP over it, until the latest OS which is 10.2 it got better with age.

if Apple didn't release a new OS every year, it'd still be frankly shite, Windows XP is probably the oldest and yet the most stable OS ever (try and give me an OS that was made and release in the same timeline as XP and you'll see) the way I see it, Apple release their unfinished beta to the public and then make the public pay for every improvement, the more OS they release the stabler it is, it was until 10.3 that OS X is beginning to be quite stable.

why I still use OS X? simple, I prefer it, I just like to simply use it for web browsing, Photoshop (thought it tend to be slower than PC) e-mailing (Mail has less feature than Outlook Express even), chatting and the occasional movie, music too etc. it's an everyday computer, the interface alone make it very comfortable to use, and if it crashed, you're not bothered, you simply just restart the application/computer, while in XP the interface wasn't very good (fisher-price appearance) and to be frank, Microsoft made the appearance not knowing enough about how people would react to it (which we can see with Vista, the interface has greatly improved overtime since the first beta of Longhorn), and XP felt very industrial especially under Windows 2000 theme.

speaking of that ad which you has posted, it's pretty much the same as Tim did in CAD v

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060513.jpg

Quote from: Storm Rider
Apple users can be gigantic throbbing cocks, is the general statement I am implying. Seriously guys, condescending over computer brands is among the fucking dumbest things I've ever heard. It's up there with people holding prayer meetings to ask God to lower gas prices.

heh, I'm a die hard Mac User, and trust me, I've seen that everyday, some of those are almost like Creationist going around claiming that Evolution is a hoax and it's fake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up