THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apartment server issues.  (Read 2213 times)

superrob

Apartment server issues.
« on: 28 May 2006, 16:34 »

Okay, i'm having a really strange problem with my apartment's server. My computer can connect to it, but the connection is always "Limited or no connectivity" with54 mps download speed, and excellent signal strength. Windows says that the connection is not encrypted, but I can't figure out why its not connecting. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I'm using Windows xp, Norton Firewall, Compaq persario laptop, 512 ram, 1.7 gigahertz processor, and thats all i can figure out right now. I just released and renewed my ip address, so i'll see if that works. I did spend a few months hooked up to a hub, so i'm thinking that i got an ip address stuck or something, but i've been connecting with different networks Without a problem. Can anyone shed any light on a solution? I've called tech support, and they said they'd look into it.

agentkolter

Apartment server issues.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2006, 17:25 »

Limited or No Connectivity - that message usually occurs when the server won't assign your computer a proper IP address, so you're getting signal but no throughput.  This is in the case of wireless, mind you, it's an issue I deal with at work alot.  Usually one of a few things is wrong: the password isn't encrypted properly (check to see if it's supposed to be WEP, Hex, or ASCII), You're trying to "authenticate on the network" (there's a little box to uncheck, on one of the tabs in the connection settings window), or your computer won't automatically log into the network because it's assigned as "manual", it should be automatic.

But - I have a Linksys router in my apartment and it gives me shit all the time with assigning me an IP address, especially if I disconnect and try to reconnect immediately after.  So what I did was set it to DHCP with Manual Address, and just gave myself one.  You might have to edit the router's access control list and add your IP in there to make sure it always lets you on - I know the linksys router has a utility that runs on your computer where you can find this.

These are just things that have worked for me in the past :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up